Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

asp.net is prob the most established web framework after maybe php and jsp, neither of which I would suggest. then zk is used by a lot of enterprise applications and does mvvm which is cool, but I haven't had an application for it. mvc4 is the lastest and greatest so use that if ur doing webs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

MeruFM posted:

start-up superstar
mods

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
any p-lang based fadworks are gonna be terrible (rails, django, etc...)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

can't wait for shaggar to start calling go a p-lang

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
fwiw my latest recycled post is here http://programmingisterrible.com/post/40453884799/what-language-should-i-learn-first

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gucci void main posted:

can't wait for shaggar to start calling go a p-lang

it basically is, but I think its abandoned already isn't it?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Death to Strunk and White.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

it basically is, but I think its abandoned already isn't it?

hahahah

but seriously, how could you tell

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

tef posted:

ps I know you guys love strunk and white but i'm a big fan of geoffry pullum

http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/~gpullum/50years.pdf

quoting b/c it's true

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

here have a js heavy webpage with ads instead of a pdf http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Zombywuf posted:

Death to Strunk and White.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

this is a dumb question, but where/how does one learn how all these bindings/more complicated things are written? off of the top of my head, just to use go as an example which i guess has go-gtk, but you wanted to write your own bindings to qt or something like that, like where the gently caress do you learn how to do that. another example/thing i'm curious about would be something like macruby as an example (just one of the first things i can think of), where you go look at some of the code and it's just confounding as to what any of it does.

basically i'm trying to understand at what point you go from knowing a language or two and being able to solve some euler problems to writing these larger frameworks/solutions. do you have to understand compilers and operating system implementations, and/or how to manipulate memory directly?

i really feel like i'm at a wall right now where i can do some rails or whatever and while that's what i'm looking for right now job wise in order to move forward and pay the bills, i still want to learn how to be more capable. maybe that just means going through a proper cs curriculum some day, but i really don't know. my biggest regret is not going to school for it but one day i would really hope to when i can afford it.

tldr i need a complex, non-web application problem to sink my teeth into so i can make myself better, but i just don't know what.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

can't wait for the monad post

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gucci void main posted:

tldr i need a complex, non-web application problem to sink my teeth into so i can make myself better, but i just don't know what.

do all the exercises in sicp

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

FamDav posted:

can't wait for the monad post

they're like burritos.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

gucci void main posted:

this is a dumb question, but where/how does one learn how all these bindings/more complicated things are written? off of the top of my head, just to use go as an example which i guess has go-gtk, but you wanted to write your own bindings to qt or something like that, like where the gently caress do you learn how to do that. another example/thing i'm curious about would be something like macruby as an example (just one of the first things i can think of), where you go look at some of the code and it's just confounding as to what any of it does.

basically i'm trying to understand at what point you go from knowing a language or two and being able to solve some euler problems to writing these larger frameworks/solutions. do you have to understand compilers and operating system implementations, and/or how to manipulate memory directly?

i really feel like i'm at a wall right now where i can do some rails or whatever and while that's what i'm looking for right now job wise in order to move forward and pay the bills, i still want to learn how to be more capable. maybe that just means going through a proper cs curriculum some day, but i really don't know. my biggest regret is not going to school for it but one day i would really hope to when i can afford it.

serious post, with caps:

I don't know how Go-GTK+ is written, but bindings in general are usually based on libffi which allows saying "oh hey call this function from this library" in a cross-platform manner. That's not too difficult, using dlsym which gives you a direct function pointer, but it handles things like calling conventions nicely, which are one of those parts of C that suck but you just have to Deal WIth It. The hard part is the other way: giving a callback as a function pointer to C code, and translating that back into Python. libffi has ways to create closures using low-level assembly code, so most people just use that.

It's still quite low-level, so people have to apply higher-order semantics so you can determine whether a pointer in C is an out pointer, or a pointer to an array, or so on. This is solved in many GTK+ bindings (PyGObject, gjs, etc.) with a framework we invented called "gobject-introspection", which scans the C code and looks for special comments and things like that to give it actual semantics. It's a lot like an actual compiler.

In Qt's case, for Python, they built their own tool which maps to Qt semantics.

You can of course maintain a bunch of these mappings manually, and that's what PyGTK+ and PyQt did, and it sucked, so we made computers do it for us.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
and lets have a nonserious yospost to wash out mouth with yeaaaaaaaaaah much better

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gucci void main posted:

Well the short answer is google golang c extension and you'll get a (kind of incomplete) description on how to call C code from go. Then it's just a matter of wrapping those calls in go functions within a package and maybe providing extended functionality that is more ~idiomatic~

EDIT: go doesn't use libffi since it's doing the work at compile time, but the gist of what suspicious is saying holds true.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2013

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i appreciate the effort posts at least. i've never really worked with straight c in any context and i basically don't know any c++ so yeah, most of it is still a mystery to me. basically it feels kinda lovely because having a decent portfolio is key to getting jobs, but in the end, even if you're learning stuff, if you don't have something you implemented to show off it doesn't always help as much.

that said i'm not super worried about the portfolio part because i at least have a couple things to show off for what i'm looking at right now and i have a phone call set up for tomorrow which i'm really hoping works out this time (another position in new york). once i find something decent i can do whatever the gently caress else i want in my spare time without worrying too much.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i jut want to take a break from programming and design websites again :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
best thing that i did was contribute to an open-source project. i did that for two years and now i work at red hat.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mods rename thread to script kiddie maturation station

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i jut want to take a break from programming and design websites again :(

i don't mind it, but it becomes annoying sometimes to have to do all the backend + frontend by yourself if it's just you. as i mentioned before i'm reading a couple of the new books out about js (resig's book + effective js) and the more i read the more i actually get annoyed with the language because there really just is so much hosed up poo poo about it. power to those that like it though but i don't understand how you could.

Gazpacho posted:

mods rename thread to script kiddie maturation station

hey man, i'm trying :shobon:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

they're like burritos.

what kind?

wish i had a california burrito right now

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gucci void main posted:

i don't mind it, but it becomes annoying sometimes to have to do all the backend + frontend by yourself if it's just you. as i mentioned before i'm reading a couple of the new books out about js (resig's book + effective js) and the more i read the more i actually get annoyed with the language because there really just is so much hosed up poo poo about it. power to those that like it though but i don't understand how you could.

its not about how good or bad the language is, its about what you (can) do with it

#whoa

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Play:
  1. does not support maven at all, in any way. hard requirement of sbt

2. instead of writing maven plugins like sane people, it has its own rails-like script which you are expected to use. (added bonus: now you get to have shell scripts calling 'play' instead of just longer pom.xml files)

3. doesn't produce servlets, just straight-up jars. it expects to open a socket and listen. to work with regular java hosting environments, you can either use weird hacky wrappers, or just give up. The only way to win is not to "play."

Lift:
  1. has practically no documentation. "Exploring Lift," a book written by third parties, is really it.

2. relies on a slightly cumbersome method of templating. zero code goes in templates, ZERO. instead, snippets are passed a sequence of well-formatted objects representing xhtml, and emit same. (this one, so far, does not bother me. but i can see how it would bother other people.)

3. has no support whatsoever for external session state. all Lift webapps that make use of session state tie user sessions to a single app server.

scalatra is p easy for little shits, works fine with maven, produces servlets or filters. i like it

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

gucci void main posted:

how does one learn how all these bindings/more complicated things are written?

by having to figure out how to write them and having the tenacity to push on with it even if you don't know the right keywords to google for. there's going to be good ways and bad ways to go about it and someone has probably already done something similar, but there is no final authority that's going to tell you the right way to go about it

gucci void main posted:

another example/thing i'm curious about would be something like macruby as an example (just one of the first things i can think of), where you go look at some of the code and it's just confounding as to what any of it does.

a lot of it comes with experience. I wouldn't know what that selector bit is supposed to do or what va_lists are if I hadn't had to write an implementation of performSelectorOnMainThread in android native code, for example. and I wouldn't have known how to do that if most of the native code that would make use of it hadn't already been in place

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

by having to figure out how to write them and having the tenacity to push on with it even if you don't know the right keywords to google for. there's going to be good ways and bad ways to go about it and someone has probably already done something similar, but there is no final authority that's going to tell you the right way to go about it

i've definitely found that searching for the correct terms can be a massive pain in the rear end so you're right about that

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

necessity is the mother of invention. and learning, I guess

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tef posted:

errybody should be a pullum fan

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

but if i'm editing i can't really put out a 150 dollar cambridge grammar, can i? it's more of a reference work than a style guide is my understanding

i suppose i could use the chicago manual of style

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

but if i'm editing i can't really put out a 150 dollar cambridge grammar, can i? it's more of a reference work than a style guide is my understanding

where the examples and rules are either wrong or platitudes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

No mention of Perl? :qq:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

tef posted:

where the examples and rules are either wrong or platitudes

i was talking about the pullum work :confused:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

No mention of Perl? :qq:

perl5 is dying and perl6 is infantile.

https://speakerdeck.com/stevan_little/perl-is-not-dead-it-is-a-dead-end

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if i wanted to make a web thing in scala or clojure where should i start

web api thing = compojure / ring
web html thing = noir

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i suppose i could use the chicago manual of style

yes

also buy a used copy that has helpful notes written in it, and little tags that mark where the most helpful stuff is. that was a lucky find

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
tef your blog is gr8

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Dr. Honked posted:

t3f y0ur bl0g !s gr8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i dont read this thread but

http://www.jobscore.com/jobs/residentadvisor/c-net-developer-online-music-magazine/d0yvwQwZGr4O5oeJe4efaV

c# web 'developer' job at resident advisor in london