Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I saved the liquid from a braise because I wondered if I could possibly do something with it since it was so delicious. Can I do anything with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Dammit, I think I wasted my time and maybe killed a pot on turkey remouillage. Anyone ever have luck on that? Did you roast bones before stocking or after? I think there's not enough collagen, but then I did stock them for longer than usual.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I saved the liquid from a braise because I wondered if I could possibly do something with it since it was so delicious. Can I do anything with it?

Reduce+season it for some yummy sauce.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

My husband has decided that pear is his favourite fruit right now. Inevitably, he's going to buy more pears than he can eat before he gets bored with them. What are some interesting things I can do with pears? I'll probably do some kind of pear and blue cheese salad since he also loves blue cheese, but I want to do something I can eat as well (I'm not a huge fan of most blue cheeses).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Try this favorite from my childhood: half a pear, scoop of mayo, topped with shredded cheddar and a maraschino cherry.

I still get that vomitty feeling in the back of my throat when I describe it.

For real though, poach them in champagne.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How long will unfrosted cupcakes be good in the freezer for? Will they keep for a month and a half? If so, best way to wrap? And unwrap? How long to thaw? Anyone have a general run-down?

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 15, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This might be a stupid question, but why bother freezing the cupcakes? Couldn't you just make them a month and a half from now, when you need them?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Wotan posted:

You don't have to do anything special, but there's not much meat on a trotter compared to a hock. It'll give the soup flavor though.

Dangphat posted:

I found with trotters I had to boil them for ages...
Thanks, all good to know :)

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Toriori posted:

How long will unfrosted cupcakes be good in the freezer for? Will they keep for a month and a half? If so, best way to wrap? And unwrap? How long to thaw? Anyone have a general run-down?

I've frozen unfrosted cupcakes for up to a month. The internet says you can keep them for two months before they start to dry out. I've just baked them so that they rose to the top of the liner, cover each with a square of plastic wrap or foil and then loaded the whole deal into a freezer zip lock bag. To thaw them unwrap them and let them come to room temperature which should take about an hour. You can frost it while it's still frozen though.

Kenning posted:

This might be a stupid question, but why bother freezing the cupcakes? Couldn't you just make them a month and a half from now, when you need them?

I work at a small hospital and on occasion we need desserts or snacks for patients or staff with special diets like sugar free for diabetics or gluten free. I can't think of a way to bake a single cupcake at a time so we make a whole batch of cupcakes or cookies and freeze them then use them as needed. Freezing baked goods is also a good way to have a sweet snack handy without having to eat a whole dozen or two within a few days of baking them if you're trying to watch your weight or are on a diet that allows for the occasional treat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mascaria posted:

I've frozen unfrosted cupcakes for up to a month. The internet says you can keep them for two months before they start to dry out. I've just baked them so that they rose to the top of the liner, cover each with a square of plastic wrap or foil and then loaded the whole deal into a freezer zip lock bag. To thaw them unwrap them and let them come to room temperature which should take about an hour. You can frost it while it's still frozen though.

I work at a small hospital and on occasion we need desserts or snacks for patients or staff with special diets like sugar free for diabetics or gluten free. I can't think of a way to bake a single cupcake at a time so we make a whole batch of cupcakes or cookies and freeze them then use them as needed. Freezing baked goods is also a good way to have a sweet snack handy without having to eat a whole dozen or two within a few days of baking them if you're trying to watch your weight or are on a diet that allows for the occasional treat.

Freeze the dough in single cupcake wrappers (in a cupcake tray) then put all the frozen dough cups in a big ziploc bag. When you need one, defrost it until thawed and bake it with the regular batch. Use different coloured wrappers for the special ones so that you don't kill someone.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Any fun ideas of two cups of pan drippings off a really amazing smoked brisket? The meat is gone, but the juice remains...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Kenning posted:

My friend/bridesmaid is a great baker and we are considering baking my wedding cupcakes and my wedding is in June, but her and one of the other bridesmaids will be leaving town for a bit at the end of April. We are going to do a test run next week, make some then try them out in March. So we need to make a lot and it's going to be too hectic a little closer to the date to make them then.

Thanks for the info!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Grand Fromage posted:

You can use those, they're the same thing. You will offend 5000 YEARS OF KOREAN HISTORY but it won't change the dish.

Just updating to say I made it tonight and it was delicious. Thanks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Wheats posted:

My local asian grocery has had really good prices on king oyster mushrooms lately, and I'm looking for things to do with them that take advantage of their size and density. I've been slicing them thinly, rubbing with smoked paprika, salt, sugar and pepper and then frying them for soup, pasta, and on sandwiches. Any other ideas?
I like king oysters and asparagus together with a little balsamic reduction: bias cut the asparagus and chop the mushrooms into chunks of about the same size; sauté the mushrooms in some butter until they start to take some colour; lightly steam the asparagus to not quite done; finish both together with some real balsamic vinegar; top with a little black pepper and some microplaned pecorino or p. reggiano.

I also sometimes do a kind of bastardised caprese when I have mushrooms big enough you can get a slice about the same mass as a slice of tomato: again sauté the mushrooms in butter; slice of tomato, slice of mushroom, slice of buffalo mozzarella, pinch of salt; chiffonade some basil, let it soak in some olive oil while you're prepping everything else; drizzle the oil and basil over everything else when it's done; hit the assembled salad servings with just few seconds under a broiler or with a torch just to make the basil a little more aromatic and touch the mozzarella.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

RazorBunny posted:

Any fun ideas of two cups of pan drippings off a really amazing smoked brisket? The meat is gone, but the juice remains...

Sautee a bunch of mushrooms in butter, add flower near the end to make a roux. Add drippings to make a nice gravy. Serve over Anything you like - like garlic mashed potatoes and a sandwich made with thinly sliced leftover brisket.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

jkk posted:

My husband has decided that pear is his favourite fruit right now. Inevitably, he's going to buy more pears than he can eat before he gets bored with them. What are some interesting things I can do with pears? I'll probably do some kind of pear and blue cheese salad since he also loves blue cheese, but I want to do something I can eat as well (I'm not a huge fan of most blue cheeses).

Roast them in rock salt! Then you can use them for either savory or sweet applications. Much cleaner than poaching.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Any good lentil recipes?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ron Don Volante posted:

Any good lentil recipes?

You're going to have to be more specific, you can make roughly infinite foods with lentils.

What kind of things do you like to eat?

Try any of the millions of recipes in the vegan thread to start!

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

jkk posted:

If they're not too soft you can just use them in your favorite apple pie recipe, in place of apples obviously. Or a pear tart.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

jkk posted:

Go for a pear tarte tatin, there are plenty of great recipes for it out there. A lot of them may use apples, but you can easily substitute in pears.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Gonna try ratatouille tonight. Making it for about 10 people.

Any preferred recipes or general suggestions? Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of several hours to let it cook, so I am looking at those shorter, 45m-1hour saute recipes

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I've got some leftover tilapia that I pan-fried with a cornmeal dusting. I don't want to just bake or otherwise reheat them in a way that will leave them dried out, so I was thinking of something where I slice them and quickly toss them in a pan with some sort of sweet-ish sauce. Any suggestions?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zenzirouj posted:

I've got some leftover tilapia that I pan-fried with a cornmeal dusting. I don't want to just bake or otherwise reheat them in a way that will leave them dried out, so I was thinking of something where I slice them and quickly toss them in a pan with some sort of sweet-ish sauce. Any suggestions?

It's going to take the same amount of heat to get the fish up to eating temperature whether in the oven or a pan, so you're equally at risk of drying it out regardless of the method you use. Regardless, I would take them out of the fridge and let them come up to room temperature so the temp differential between the outside and the inside is minimized when you reheat it. I'd say maybe cut it into rough chunks and cook it in some chili oil in a pan, then make some fish tacos.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Any preferred recipes or general suggestions? Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of several hours to let it cook, so I am looking at those shorter, 45m-1hour saute recipes

If you want really quick, chop the veg (i like eggplant and zucchini), coat in olive oil, and throw them (separately) onto sheet pans. Bake at 375 for like 25 minutes or so. On the stove, do your onions, garlic, pepper, and tomato on the stove while those go. At the end, toss together, season with fresh herbs, salt, and cracked black pepper, and you're set. If you really want things to go easy, turn on your oven to preheat it. Then, wash and chop the eggplant. Toss with oil and salt, then throw in the oven. Then chop and toss the zucchini (i find it quicker to chop). Throw that in the oven. Set the timer to 25 minutes. Then, get a pot on the stove, and heat it on medium heat. Add oil, and start slicing up your peppers (because you don't have to peel them, so it goes fast). Throw them into the pot. Crush some garlic, remove the skin, and heave them in with the peppers. While those hang out, slice your onions into half-moons. Throw them in, and stir everything around. Keep cooking on medium heat until the onions are softened. Add a can of (drained) diced tomato. Then crank up the heat to high to get some browning on the onions and cook down the tomato. By the time your timer beeps, your aromatics should be done. Dump the roasted veg into the cooked veg, add a splash of white wine, and bring to the boil for five minutes or so. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

The Midniter posted:

It's going to take the same amount of heat to get the fish up to eating temperature whether in the oven or a pan, so you're equally at risk of drying it out regardless of the method you use. Regardless, I would take them out of the fridge and let them come up to room temperature so the temp differential between the outside and the inside is minimized when you reheat it. I'd say maybe cut it into rough chunks and cook it in some chili oil in a pan, then make some fish tacos.

Well, that's why I was thinking of using some kind of sauce to counteract dryness. Fish tacos isn't a bad idea at all, though...

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
okay I've got some salmon fillets for dinner was going to make a garlic chili and lemon sauce/maninade for them, but we only have limes in would lime juice work just as well?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Rumda posted:

okay I've got some salmon fillets for dinner was going to make a garlic chili and lemon sauce/maninade for them, but we only have limes in would lime juice work just as well?

Yes. Limes would actually work a bit better for a marinade with garlic and chili.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

If you can do 1:45 then make the one from the hit animated movie Ratatouille http://frenchfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/confitbyaldi.htm

(Thomas Keller rules make it come on)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So I just happened to grab some salad savoy at the market yesterday (mostly because it was pretty). Any suggestions what to do with it? I presume I could just generally treat it like kale, but was wondering if anybody with hands-on experience had a recommendation.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

dino. posted:

If you want really quick, chop the veg (i like eggplant and zucchini), coat in olive oil, and throw them (separately) onto sheet pans. Bake at 375 for like 25 minutes or so. On the stove, do your onions, garlic, pepper, and tomato on the stove while those go. At the end, toss together, season with fresh herbs, salt, and cracked black pepper, and you're set. If you really want things to go easy, turn on your oven to preheat it. Then, wash and chop the eggplant. Toss with oil and salt, then throw in the oven. Then chop and toss the zucchini (i find it quicker to chop). Throw that in the oven. Set the timer to 25 minutes. Then, get a pot on the stove, and heat it on medium heat. Add oil, and start slicing up your peppers (because you don't have to peel them, so it goes fast). Throw them into the pot. Crush some garlic, remove the skin, and heave them in with the peppers. While those hang out, slice your onions into half-moons. Throw them in, and stir everything around. Keep cooking on medium heat until the onions are softened. Add a can of (drained) diced tomato. Then crank up the heat to high to get some browning on the onions and cook down the tomato. By the time your timer beeps, your aromatics should be done. Dump the roasted veg into the cooked veg, add a splash of white wine, and bring to the boil for five minutes or so. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.
Thanks a lot!

a few questions:
What are the traditional seasonings used here? Scouring the internet I saw mentions of parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Rosemary was stressed as very important in a few.
And I probably just misread, but do you use whole peeled tomatoes and drained canned dice? I was just confused because I saw a lot of recipies that call for peeling and chopping whole. But I know it has been stressed here that canned tomatoes are actually better if you're in a place where they are not in season.
Also, I am trying to get a rough estimation on sizing here, since this is for 10 people. Is something like 2 eggplants, 2 large onions (red or white??), 2 or 3 big yellow squashes (I have to replace peppers due to allergies, boo), and 2-3 big zucchinis enough to feed that or should I bump it up some more?

This is for some vegetarians so I was actually checking out your thread late last night. It's really nice, and I generally like heaping portions of meat with my food. If I had some more time I would have tried one of those other dishes, but this is for my sister who is leaving the country tomorrow. That one pizza with ginger looks amazing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you can do 1:45 then make the one from the hit animated movie Ratatouille http://frenchfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/confitbyaldi.htm

(Thomas Keller rules make it come on)

Unfortunately, that would have me eating at like 830 the earliest :( stupid work.

I will definitely try it again soon though, since my family has a lot of vegetarians/vegans.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Turkeybone posted:

Roast them in rock salt! Then you can use them for either savory or sweet applications. Much cleaner than poaching.

Oooh! That sounds interesting. I've googled a few recipes and will definitely give this a try. Thanks!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Thanks a lot!

a few questions:
What are the traditional seasonings used here? Scouring the internet I saw mentions of parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Rosemary was stressed as very important in a few.
Rosemary is awesome. If you can find it, go with it. Basil and tomato are match made in heaven. Oregano is excellent when dried. Parsley is easy to find, but imo doesn't bring too much great flavour around. Thyme is great too. Meh on bay leaves, unless you can find 'em fresh.

quote:

And I probably just misread, but do you use whole peeled tomatoes and drained canned dice? I was just confused because I saw a lot of recipies that call for peeling and chopping whole. But I know it has been stressed here that canned tomatoes are actually better if you're in a place where they are not in season.
Diced tomato. In this case, you want one with calcium chloride, because then the tomato will stay together instead of falling apart.

quote:

Also, I am trying to get a rough estimation on sizing here, since this is for 10 people. Is something like 2 eggplants, 2 large onions (red or white??), 2 or 3 big yellow squashes (I have to replace peppers due to allergies, boo), and 2-3 big zucchinis enough to feed that or should I bump it up some more?
I'd suggest, if you're doing this for 10, that you add 1 extra of each thing. AND if you have time, to make quick roasted mushrooms. All you do is get mushrooms, and wash them clean. Toss with olive oil, thyme, and salt. Roast in the oven (along with your other veg) for 25 minutes. If you don't mind it terribly too, some pasta would be a very nice addition as well. Just toss in some olive oil, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. It'll complete out the meal, and nobody will feel hungry. I find that when folk cook for veg*ns, they tend to forget that while vegetables are delicious, they won't quite fill those empty spots unless there's some kind of starch and something with a bit of protein in (i.e., the mushrooms in this case).

Seriously, don't stress about it. As long as you use really good olive oil, really good basil, and a generous hand with the salt and black pepper, you'll be fine.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Thanks for the tofu suggestions! My objection is mostly texture, so I suppose I'll try some frying. Everything tastes good sliced thinly and fried, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There were two things that made me appreciate tofu. One was fried, it is a lot better with a nice crisp crust. And second is just using it in recipes that call for actual tofu, rather than the bullshit we do so often in the west of trying to use tofu as a substitute. gently caress tofu meat. Use it as tofu where its tofu-ness is important in the recipe and it's much better.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

An important thing with tofu is the serving temperature. Lukewarm tofu is no bueno compared to nice piping hot tofu. Texture isn't as nice, and neither is the flavor.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I love tofu dredged in starch and fried. It's just so delicious.

Mabo dofu is also great -- it was my first tofu dish and got me over my "ugh, vegetarian bullshit" mindset about tofu.

It's also really great in nabe.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

dino. posted:

Rosemary is awesome. If you can find it, go with it. Basil and tomato are match made in heaven. Oregano is excellent when dried. Parsley is easy to find, but imo doesn't bring too much great flavour around. Thyme is great too. Meh on bay leaves, unless you can find 'em fresh.
Diced tomato. In this case, you want one with calcium chloride, because then the tomato will stay together instead of falling apart.
I'd suggest, if you're doing this for 10, that you add 1 extra of each thing. AND if you have time, to make quick roasted mushrooms. All you do is get mushrooms, and wash them clean. Toss with olive oil, thyme, and salt. Roast in the oven (along with your other veg) for 25 minutes. If you don't mind it terribly too, some pasta would be a very nice addition as well. Just toss in some olive oil, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. It'll complete out the meal, and nobody will feel hungry. I find that when folk cook for veg*ns, they tend to forget that while vegetables are delicious, they won't quite fill those empty spots unless there's some kind of starch and something with a bit of protein in (i.e., the mushrooms in this case).

Seriously, don't stress about it. As long as you use really good olive oil, really good basil, and a generous hand with the salt and black pepper, you'll be fine.

I ended up using a mix of rosemary, Thyme, s&p, parsley and a bay leaf (I don't think I've ever seen these fresh now that I think about it). I had a brain fart about basil though. Oh well. Came out awesome. I do kind of wish I did the mushrooms in the oven now. The thought crossed my mind (I had big portabellos) but I opted against it. Boo.

And yeah, the last second I ended up doing it over rice with onions, peas and mushrooms to make sure that it was filling. Poured the stew over it. Very good. If I went with pasta, would it be as a side dish or to be under the stew??

anyway, thanks again, it came out great!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I ended up using a mix of rosemary, Thyme, s&p, parsley and a bay leaf (I don't think I've ever seen these fresh now that I think about it). I had a brain fart about basil though. Oh well. Came out awesome. I do kind of wish I did the mushrooms in the oven now. The thought crossed my mind (I had big portabellos) but I opted against it. Boo.

And yeah, the last second I ended up doing it over rice with onions, peas and mushrooms to make sure that it was filling. Poured the stew over it. Very good. If I went with pasta, would it be as a side dish or to be under the stew??

anyway, thanks again, it came out great!

Personally, I don't bother to plate things, and just let folk sort it out on their own, so I'd have done it as a side. However, if you wanted, you could very well add the stew on top with pretty awesome tasting results.

RE: TofuChat
I didn't much care for tofu when I ate the stuff from the grocery store. The texture was funny and it tasted all beany. Then I started buying the tofu in Chinatown, where they make it fresh every day, and people are buying large quantities of it. The difference is huge.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
A friend of mine recommended agave nectar since I don't bake that much and just like to add a little sweetness to some of my roasts/sauces. Any good brands out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dino. posted:

With the yellow split peas, go ahead and soak them for like 3 - 6 hours or so. They take a lot longer than the red lentils. Yeah, that recipe on the wiki is specifically for the sort of daal you're working with. If you want a bit more oomph, I'd suggest the North Indian variation, and use the ginger, onion, garlic, and tomato. And seriously? Don't be afraid of quite how much onion ends up in there. The more the merrier.

Totally want to make this tonight.

When your recipe in the wiki says "2 cups of beans, cooked" does that mean I need to have 2 cups of dry legumes soaking now, or cook them and then measure out 2 cups of the cooked ones? I'm assuming the former...

Can you also elaborate on the step "In a pot, cook your beans." About how long do you think it would take to cook soaked split yellow peas? Want to make sure I have time tonight before putting them to the soak.