Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love this comic, and I'm glad I found out there was a thread for it here on SA.

I like how the mood can suddenly swing from "How are they going to get out of this :ohdear:" to "Oh, that's how :allears:" in the space of a single page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Looks like Tom isn't going to break his low-violence streak for this either.

No matter how competent they are, robot secrecy is what it is.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I feel like not only should Robot have known about this, but also that he should have been able to easily use this knowledge to win the rooftop fight. Maybe it's some sort of robot-taboo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thing is there wasn't much of a fight on the rooftop, either.

Robot may have just allowed himself to be captured, and we won't know why until the next few updates.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
No-nonsense Annie is the best!

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Brightman posted:

I feel like not only should Robot have known about this, but also that he should have been able to easily use this knowledge to win the rooftop fight. Maybe it's some sort of robot-taboo.

I like that idea.

I laughed harder at stern-face Annie and Tom's comment than I have in a while.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

So their one secret weakness is something that could be eliminated simply by wearing a hat. Their aversion to clothes has become their undoing.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I think the best part is how techno-genius Kat is somehow so amazed by this development.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Zeond posted:

So all Seraph robots have a convenient switch on the top of their heads. Gotta give it to Tom though, the switch is present since comic #8 when Annie assembled Robot's original body.
It's so obvious that you really feel like Kat after reading it. See, this is how you do a proper call back.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zeond posted:

So all Seraph robots have a convenient switch on the top of their heads. Gotta give it to Tom though, the switch is present since comic #8 when Annie assembled Robot's original body.
I went back to check on that button (and it even makes the same sound back then) and saw another call-back that I read recently.

On this page --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=6 --- Annie's awkward phrasing seemed familiar. That's because Kat says something similar here --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=763

I love finding little touches like that, and I bet Tom loves making them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

CannonFodder posted:

That's because Kat says something similar here --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=763

Haha, oh man, Tom's comment on the bottom makes that callback the more awesome. I can't believe I never noticed it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Annie: Still straightforward.

I bet she'd do well with when presented with a Gordian Knot problem.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

CannonFodder posted:

I went back to check on that button (and it even makes the same sound back then) and saw another call-back that I read recently.

On this page --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=6 --- Annie's awkward phrasing seemed familiar. That's because Kat says something similar here --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=763

I love finding little touches like that, and I bet Tom loves making them.

Ha, same pose too. It's the little things that make re-reading this so great. Really makes you wonder what things we've seen more recently that will get a callback later, or some things early on that never got one, like those paintings in the library with the footprints.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Brightman posted:

Ha, same pose too. It's the little things that make re-reading this so great. Really makes you wonder what things we've seen more recently that will get a callback later, or some things early on that never got one, like those paintings in the library with the footprints.

Obviously Randy Disaster's "Ode to Loneliness", a series of works inspired by Jones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tom mentioned somewhere sometime that those paintings were leading up to an arc that he decided to drop. I wouldn't be surprised if it was going to have something to do with Jones though.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Cowcaster posted:

Tom mentioned somewhere sometime that those paintings were leading up to an arc that he decided to drop. I wouldn't be surprised if it was going to have something to do with Jones though.

I thought that too when Jones told Annie later on that her footprints had been found by archeologists or historians or something.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Wow, it's amazing how much better the art is now when you compare page 6 to the last page.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
And here I was, thinking that the robots would actually be competent. I see now what a fool I was.
Also that callback is awesome. When I started reading, I thought it was a failed attempt at being funny (it might still have been).

Whenever I see one of the old pages I get reminded of how much of a rocky start I had with GC. I didn't really click with me until the tree scene with Kat and Annie.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Wikiman posted:

Whenever I see one of the old pages I get reminded of how much of a rocky start I had with GC. I didn't really click with me until the tree scene with Kat and Annie.

Yeah, I just ordered the first book for my brother's birthday and I'm a little worried. I'd feel a lot better if I could give him all three volumes, but the second one is out of stock (as always).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

seravid posted:

Yeah, I just ordered the first book for my brother's birthday and I'm a little worried. I'd feel a lot better if I could give him all three volumes, but the second one is out of stock (as always).

Check local shops for the second volume, that's how I ended up finding it. Also the art improves fairly quickly, when the first volume ends Annie's head looks fairly non-football~ish.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Alopex posted:

Looks like Tom isn't going to break his low-violence streak for this either.

No matter how competent they are, robot secrecy is what it is.

I disagree, considering how robots view inactivity/mobility (death) I'd say this is pretty hyper-violent.

Annie, mass murderer.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Brightman posted:

Well I decided that I was doing nothing better tonight than read through from (near) the beginning, and found a call-forward, I think.

These eyebrows seem familiar: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=77

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Brightman posted:

Check local shops for the second volume, that's how I ended up finding it. Also the art improves fairly quickly, when the first volume ends Annie's head looks fairly non-football~ish.

I don't think that'll work in my corner of the world. Googling around, the one (1) store selling a GC book calls it "Gunnerkrigg Courtorientation", not a good sign.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

seravid posted:

I don't think that'll work in my corner of the world. Googling around, the one (1) store selling a GC book calls it "Gunnerkrigg Courtorientation", not a good sign.

Well I meant like walk into a comic book store or something similar and look, or call them first to save a trip. Granted if there aren't any nearby then...poo poo. Also that orientation book isn't it, it isn't it at all :(

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Brightman posted:

I thought the second volume was coming back into print?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fritz posted:

I thought the second volume was coming back into print?
Yes, it did come back, and then it sold out at TopatoCo. That's why people are suggesting B+M stores because the online one can't keep up with demand.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I uh, made an avatar:

(wait for it)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 15, 2013

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

My favorite thing about today's comic is not that Annie turns off the first robot by pressing the big red button on its head, but how apparently easily and casually she turns off the second one.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Mr. Peepers posted:

My favorite thing about today's comic is not that Annie turns off the first robot by pressing the big red button on its head, but how apparently easily and casually she turns off the second one.

They're stunned in complete and utter shock. Who could possibly ever figure out their secret weakness? It boggles the mind.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Yes, it did come back, and then it sold out at TopatoCo. That's why people are suggesting B+M stores because the online one can't keep up with demand.

What! NO!

I thought I had more tiiimmmmmeeeee.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Re-reading this page again made me think: "Hey, people who think it's lazy that the robot won't stick around for 10 minutes to explain the origin of the court: Maybe he doesn't want to. Maybe he doesn't want to go through the personal wringing of talking about it, but he'll drop enough information for you to figure it out when he's dead (seed bismuth hint)."

Suppose you were a criminal, but you were lamenting that fact. Suppose you died, but someone brought you back from eternal rest to grill you on that subject. Maybe you want to drop the right hints without indicting yourself.

Maybe you wouldn't believe creepy robot if he told you everything, but figuring it out on your own would. Oh ho ho...

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Volume Two still appears to be in stock at the publisher's site, that is where I got mine during the last reprinting.

http://store.archaia.com/products/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol.-2%3A-Research.html

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

seravid posted:

The first book is subtitled "Orientation", so that's not a bad sign, either. It's just not what you want.

edit before the new page and more avatars to be made:

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 16, 2013

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Annie said knock you out!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
poo poo just got real.
This was probably what Robot wanted and why he didn't fight back, so that he could let them see The Angel in person.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy crap, Annie with the multiple projection etheric combat.

And 'the' angel, eh? Sounds like The Angel was a preexisting concept.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Now, to be fair, that robot has a point - Just because she looks like an angel, doesn't mean she is one....then again that's also a very good argument that she is one too.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Yessssss, using etheric projections, JoJo style. Better watch out S-series dude, she might drop a steamroller on you!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Tupperwarez posted:

Yessssss, using etheric projections, JoJo style. Better watch out S-series dude, she might drop a steamroller on you!

Does this mean the Stand meteor is actually one giant blinker stone? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So I guess this means the robots think Kat is a robot.