Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Mostly agree with the list except for the completely ludicrous prices at Old Town Pour House on anything approaching seasonal or rare.

Good to know I haven't missed anything with Old Town. Their list seems pretty standard. Unreasonable prices don't make it much more inviting.

The selfish part of me is happy that the few less-talked-about Chicago beer bars didn't make this list...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Welp the first week of February I will be flying out to Portland because Cigar City is going to be collaborating with Widmer. Why I'm going is anyone's guess but I'm pretty loving stoked since I haven't been before.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Between Friday's and today's care packages I'm pretty well stocked for beers to cellar drink right now.
Goon beer best beer.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Welp the first week of February I will be flying out to Portland because Cigar City is going to be collaborating with Widmer. Why I'm going is anyone's guess but I'm pretty loving stoked since I haven't been before.

Awww...just missing Bailey's CellarFest, which is god drat incredible.

Tip: Hair of the Dog and Cascade are within 10 blocks of one another. The Portland bars in Draft's list above are probably the ones I would recommend too, though it obviously leaves off a lot of brewpubs.

If you need any suggestions (or someone to drink with, maybe), just ask! It really is everything you could hope for in a beer town. It's also a town that's easy to miss out on a lot of good stuff while distracted by the bigger names.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I call goonmeet someplace, I'll probably be in Portland sometime during that week too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ashley's is the top beer bar in the Midwest yet again. It's a shame I've pretty much sworn off the place

I refuse to pay $12 for a 5-ounce glass of KBS again. :colbert:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Again I want to re-iterate that Butternuts Moo Thunder milk stout is an excellent value. It's $6.99 for a 6 pack at Total Wine here and it has a nice sweet cocoa nose with roasted malts and a smoke aroma to it. The taste is a bit thin in comparison but it offers the same complexity. For the price this is an excellent value and I would love to buy a case of this. Their Heineweisse is decent too, it tastes like a watery hefeweizen and while it's not a great value like Moo Thunder it certainly is a refreshing beer available at a good price.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I call goonmeet someplace, I'll probably be in Portland sometime during that week too.

Word. I can also Batphone some other Goon friends who don't normally contribute to the thread. It'll be a good time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Ashley's is the top beer bar in the Midwest yet again. It's a shame I've pretty much sworn off the place

I refuse to pay $12 for a 5-ounce glass of KBS again. :colbert:

You realize that's alphabetical by region, right? Not rankings. No one in their right mind would call Ashley's #1 in the midwest.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ShaneB posted:

You realize that's alphabetical by region, right? Not rankings. No one in their right mind would call Ashley's #1 in the midwest.

#1 beer bar in America Mekong's response to not ending up on this list was to make all draft beers $5- and they always have Bon Chien on tap (apparently they are one of the top two sellers of BFM in the US).

SUPER HASSLER posted:

hopefully Hopslam shows up soon enough that i can get a box out to you beforehand...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
If anyone here likes robust porters, Drake's Black Robusto is an awesome one. If you like the richness of imperial stouts/porters but don't want as much sweetness or booze it's a great option.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The sale for Alesmith Kopi Speedway and Barrel Aged Old Numbskull bottle purchasing tickets starts today at 12:00 PM PST. I've never had either beers but it seems that people here really enjoyed the former. Is the latter also worth going for?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Word. I can also Batphone some other Goon friends who don't normally contribute to the thread. It'll be a good time.

I'll see if I can score up some rare CCB gems for that :ninja:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Furious Lobster posted:

The sale for Alesmith Kopi Speedway and Barrel Aged Old Numbskull bottle purchasing tickets starts today at 12:00 PM PST. I've never had either beers but it seems that people here really enjoyed the former. Is the latter also worth going for?

SHHHHHHHHH don't make this hard for me. Kopi Luwak Speedway is *the* best beer I've ever had. Old Numbskull's a pretty solid BW too, haven't have the BA version but I'm going to max out on both of those today.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone got a line on where Hopslam is going to be available to take home in Chicago today? My buddy who works at Mariano's thought they'd have some in, and promised to set two sixers aside for me, but it sounds like their shipment might have been delayed..

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cervixalot posted:

Anyone got a line on where Hopslam is going to be available to take home in Chicago today? My buddy who works at Mariano's thought they'd have some in, and promised to set two sixers aside for me, but it sounds like their shipment might have been delayed..

Beermenus hasn't popped anything up. If it was available, Capone's would have it up.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

Vav at Binny's Lincoln Park says Friday for them.

edit: West Lakeview has it now per their twitter.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 15, 2013

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Vav at Binny's Lincoln Park says Friday for them.

edit: West Lakeview has it now per their twitter.

gently caress yeah. I live two blocks away. Time to head out of work a bit early...

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So far I've bad two beers from my Smuttynose sampler, Shoals pale ale and old brown dog. The pale ale was alright, a little too bitter for my taste, but I managed to stomach it and finished the bottle. The old brown dog on the other hand was the best brown ale that I've ever had. It had somewhat of a hint of maple (might have been brewed with maple syrup, but I could be wrong) and was good right to the last drop. It's my favorite so far. I have two left, the winter ale and he ipa, which in hoping is good because I like ipas a lot.

I'm going to a beer dinner next month. $65 for five courses and five beers, so it should be interesting and fun. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a snob fest like I think it will.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

screenwritersblues posted:

The pale ale was alright, a little too bitter for my taste...

... I like ipas a lot.

That's... odd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I'll see if I can score up some rare CCB gems for that :ninja:

Are you going to be in south Florida next week. There are a ton of events and I am going to a bunch of them for sotuh florida beer week. Looking forward to finally trying some oatmeal raisen cookie.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Found a six pack of Hopslam tonight, and I'm drinking my first one of the season right now. It's not quite as good as I remember, but that might be because I'm drinking it a bit warmer than I normally drink my beers. It doesn't have as prominent of a honey flavor as I remember, but maybe I'll be able to pin point it when I drink one that's a bit colder. Either way, it's still a great beer, and I'm glad I picked up a six pack.

OH recently started to get Uinta beers, and I really want to pick up some of their Hop Notch and Dubhe. Have any of you tried either of those? If so, how did you like them?

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Kudosx posted:

Found a six pack of Hopslam tonight, and I'm drinking my first one of the season right now. It's not quite as good as I remember, but that might be because I'm drinking it a bit warmer than I normally drink my beers. It doesn't have as prominent of a honey flavor as I remember, but maybe I'll be able to pin point it when I drink one that's a bit colder. Either way, it's still a great beer, and I'm glad I picked up a six pack.

OH recently started to get Uinta beers, and I really want to pick up some of their Hop Notch and Dubhe. Have any of you tried either of those? If so, how did you like them?

Dubhe is one of the better black IPAs out there. Hop Notch is meh; it's not bad, but it certainly isn't anything to write home about for an IPA.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Kudosx posted:

If you can find sea legs it is a great barrel aged baltic porter.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Pliny distribution day today in ol' Bend :woop:

It's dated 12/27, I'll see if I can't tackle it sometime this weekend to directly compare with Hop Venom (assuming Boneyard has it out).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Uuudar posted:

Dubhe is one of the better black IPAs out there. Hop Notch is meh; it's not bad, but it certainly isn't anything to write home about for an IPA.

I like Hop Notch a lot. It's one of those IPAs in the category from which I will buy a 6 pack of whichever is currently the freshest in the store when I want a delicious known quantity. Two-Hearted is almost always the winner, but occasionally a new batch of Hop Notch comes in.

I think I've only bought like 3 bombers in 2 weeks, so the year of spending less on beer still has a chance! (No way i was passing on that 6 of Ruthless Rye or 4 pack of Terrapin's Wake-n-Bake while it's still on shelves, though)

e: ugh at the new bottle dating on Hop Notch. I don't think it's 6 months, but it definitely doesn't seem like 3.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 16, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Scored 3 sixers of Hopslam, a 4 pack of Founders Imperial Stout, and 2 each of Arcadia's Barrel Aged Cereal Killer and Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

Also am currently drinking Revolution's Eugene porter and its a hell of a solid porter.

Once I get the Barrel Aged Blackout on Monday I'll probably be trying to trade a couple of those, a couple Hopslams, and some of the other stuff I bought today to a west coaster for some west coast stuff I can't get in Ohio.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kudosx posted:

I found Hopnotch to be a bit unimpressive - overly hopped without much additional flavor. However, it's entirely possible I could have just been drinking an old bottle!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Lasted 4 hours it looks like. We may have no jobs in Bend, but we sure are thirsty :v:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

danbanana posted:

That's... odd.

Not really. I've tried a few pale ales before and never really liked them, their either too bitter or I just don't like them. IPAs on the other hand I like better mainly because of the fact they aren't too bitter compared to the others.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

screenwritersblues posted:

Not really. I've tried a few pale ales before and never really liked them, their either too bitter or I just don't like them. IPAs on the other hand I like better mainly because of the fact they aren't too bitter compared to the others.

This is the thing that's odd though. You do realize that IPA stands for India Pale Ale, right? IPAs tend to be more bitter than APAs... so yes, that is very odd.

For example, I find Smuttynose's Finestkind IPA to be more bitter than their Shoals Pale Ale... but maybe that's just me.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kudosx posted:

People on BA are saying that it's not as good as past years as well. This will be my first year trying it so hopefully it's not a bad batch.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Harminoff posted:

People on BA are saying that it's not as good as past years as well. This will be my first year trying it so hopefully it's not a bad batch.

They say literally the exact thing every single year. I bought a case at release and its really delicious, don't let a bunch of nerds sway your opinion.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I have a pretty crazy question for all of you. Have any of you tried a beer that you enjoyed more out of a bottle/can than you did when it was in a glass?

I'm now drinking my second Hopslam, and I'm drinking it out of a bottle. Last year when I enjoyed Hopslam the most, it was when I drank it directly out of the bottle. I thought this was just coincidence, and it was because it was a fresher batch or something. Right now I'm enjoying this bottle far more than I enjoyed the previous one, and I kind of think it's because I'm drinking it out of the bottle.

I am getting the honey flavor that I remember, and the little bit of aroma I'm able to get through the bottle is really awesome. Am I crazy? I don't think I've ever enjoyed any other beer more out of a bottle/can than I do in a glass.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This is reaching beeradvocate.txt proportions.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Lasted 4 hours it looks like. We may have no jobs in Bend, but we sure are thirsty :v:

There is seriously only one Whole Foods in Bend that gets PtE? Next time you are in Portland, go to Apex and drink your fill. It's almost always on tap there.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kudosx posted:

I have a pretty crazy question for all of you. Have any of you tried a beer that you enjoyed more out of a bottle/can than you did when it was in a glass?

I'm now drinking my second Hopslam, and I'm drinking it out of a bottle. Last year when I enjoyed Hopslam the most, it was when I drank it directly out of the bottle. I thought this was just coincidence, and it was because it was a fresher batch or something. Right now I'm enjoying this bottle far more than I enjoyed the previous one, and I kind of think it's because I'm drinking it out of the bottle.

I am getting the honey flavor that I remember, and the little bit of aroma I'm able to get through the bottle is really awesome. Am I crazy? I don't think I've ever enjoyed any other beer more out of a bottle/can than I do in a glass.

The first time I had Dale's Pale Ale (which is one of my first microbrews) I had it out of the can. Maybe it was because it was my first pale ale, or because it was 95 degrees out that day and I was sitting by the pool, but it has never tasted as good to me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hopslam is good, I get a case every release, but so are the dozen other IPAs/DIPAs that distribute to your area. It just happens to be one that's from a brewery that has been around longer than others.

I honestly would love to see underwhelmed Hopslam drinkers try Black Note for the first time. It's another one of those Bells beers that has been around a while and isn't "in your face" like most bourbon barrel aged stouts that most people in the craft beer scene are accustomed to. It's a great smooth and balanced stout.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I passed on a bottle of 2011 BA Hibernation Ale because it was $26 tonight. Has anyone had this? I haven't had the regular hibernation ale for a few years but i don't remember it being SO good that sticking it in whiskey barrels for a while would make it taste good enough to warrant a $26 price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hah ShaneB.
All I have to say is that I had my first Hopslam of this year. And I will enjoy, hopefully, many more. One of my favorite dIPAs of all time.