Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Might as well crosspost from the warham thread it I guess.

Groetgaffel posted:

I did a thing.
Presenting Soulfucker the servoskull:

E: Well, that's a pretty crappy way to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I still thing GW missed a great opportunity to put a laser pointer in the eye of the servo skull tape measure.

Fix posted:

Cross-postin some Infinity hatchet dogs.

Fix, your poo poo has been getting better and better. Focussing on infinity has done wonders for your painting.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Big Willy Style posted:

I still thing GW missed a great opportunity to put a laser pointer in the eye of the servo skull tape measure.

Fix, your poo poo has been getting better and better. Focussing on infinity has done wonders for your painting.

Daww, thanks. :3:

It's the models. I can just see the poo poo that needs paint better. That, and the bucketload of Reaper paints I got a little while back. Love 'em.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Hey all. I just need a quick judgement. Does a thin layer of black shade over the coat improve it, or make it more boring?

The extra shaded one is the one on the left.

I'm trying to make the surface highlights look a little less artificial, because the large flat areas don't lend themselves well to light blue highlights. Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
^^^^ I think the wash adds some depth to it.

Made two faces:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I have a Phantom II and Sea Vixen I'm painting up for a friend in the RAF. I do not, however, know anything about the military and am finding the range of paint schemes and designations etc overwhelming. Anyone know the best thing to look at, or a good way to work out what a paint scheme should be for a particular military vehicle/plane?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Lethemonster posted:

I have a Phantom II and Sea Vixen I'm painting up for a friend in the RAF. I do not, however, know anything about the military and am finding the range of paint schemes and designations etc overwhelming. Anyone know the best thing to look at, or a good way to work out what a paint scheme should be for a particular military vehicle/plane?

Google can provide a wealth of information, either in the form of sites devoted to the aircraft in question or possibly books on the same subject-- seriously, there are a lot of veterans out there that wrote extensively on the tanks/ships/aircraft that they crewed. Osprey, in particular, might be a publisher to look at.

Here's something on the Phantom II:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/phantom/history.php

Sea Vixen:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/seavixen/index.php

I'd also look for aftermarket decal sets for RAF/RN markings as well in the event that your kits don't have them.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
A colour mixing question: If I want to make a purple more pink, what do I want to mix in there?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

evenworse username posted:

A colour mixing question: If I want to make a purple more pink, what do I want to mix in there?

At the risk of sounding obvious, try...pink?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Red, white, or pink depending on what kind of shade you want.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dominion posted:

At the risk of sounding obvious, try...pink?

Heheheh. I don't actually have a pink right now and am trying to avoid giving myself an excuse to buy even more paint.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Reds. The brighter the better.
http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Groovy. I'll experiment a bit, thanks. :D

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I had problems making my purple into pink. I think it's because purple is basically red and blue. You can add white and red to get it more pink, but probably just mixing red and white is a better start than trying to use purple. Depends on how much blue you want in your final shade.

To be the devil's advocate, the new GW pinks are really nice :getin:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Get thee behind me, WhiteOutMouse

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

WhiteOutMouse posted:

As far as I've tried them out GW's new everything is pretty nice.

And speaking of GW paint, the replacement for Snakebite Leather, anyone knows how close it matches?
My Snakebite is getting pretty old, the consistency is all over the place. Where it's as thickest it's pretty much solid. Could it still be saved, or should I just use up the usable portions of the paint and move on?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groetgaffel posted:

As far as I've tried them out GW's new everything is pretty nice.

And speaking of GW paint, the replacement for Snakebite Leather, anyone knows how close it matches?
My Snakebite is getting pretty old, the consistency is all over the place. Where it's as thickest it's pretty much solid. Could it still be saved, or should I just use up the usable portions of the paint and move on?

putting old paint jars in an ultrasonic cleaner has done wonders for smooth mixing.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Crossposting Dougal MacNaile

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's a giant Soviet tank!

It's a 1/76 KV1, which is a cool kit that also came with a turret to make a KV2. The dirt doesn't look quite that, er, poopy brilliant in real life. I'm hoping to use for both Battlegroup Kursk (if I ever find it) and cheapskate Bolt Action. I'm really enjoying this scale, and also enjoying that it's something I can share with my non-gamer friends and relatives who can understand and appreciate nerdy model tanks but maybe not when elves are driving them.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

moths posted:

It's a 1/76 KV1, which is a cool kit that also came with a turret to make a KV2. The dirt doesn't look quite that, er, poopy brilliant in real life. I'm hoping to use for both Battlegroup Kursk (if I ever find it) and cheapskate Bolt Action. I'm really enjoying this scale, and also enjoying that it's something I can share with my non-gamer friends and relatives who can understand and appreciate nerdy model tanks but maybe not when elves are driving them.

I approve of your giant Soviet tank.

Cripes I really need some motivation to paint, i have so many basecoated minis and i havnt picked up a brush in months.

Since i dont play BF3 regularly any more i dont have that 30s between spawns to paint that got so much poo poo done.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Acceptableloss posted:

Crossposting Dougal MacNaile

I really like how he turned out, plus you really nailed the facial eypression! Wish I could paint eyes half as good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

Neat! As a Russians-in-Space enthusiast, I approve of their terrestrial, pre-41st-millennium comrades.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fauxtool posted:

putting old paint jars in an ultrasonic cleaner has done wonders for smooth mixing.

Screw shaking and rolling, I'm totally trying this with my VMC droppers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

Screw shaking and rolling, I'm totally trying this with my VMC droppers.

I do a 5min cycle with the paint in a plastic bag so I dont vibrate all the labels off.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
What kind of an ultrasonic cleaner do you use for this? Just a jewelry cleaner, something from Brookstone or wherever?

Also, painting update, been working on this guy since I finished my pre-heresy Contemptor-pattern dreadnought. Not sure what to do for the barrel and gun barrels, would like a real rusty pattern, if anyone has a good corroded paint scheme I'd appreciate it. Also any tips on the rotting flesh, this is my first Nurgle demon.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I finished the Lord who's gonna be joining my immortals I posted earlier:

The lava patterm on the staff is the third design after plain silver, then yellow with some orange lighting. Then I looked at the bright yellow blades, realized why you never see them done like that (because they look like poo poo), said "gently caress it" and decided I might as well try the pattern I want to use on my vehicles.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zhent posted:

What kind of an ultrasonic cleaner do you use for this? Just a jewelry cleaner, something from Brookstone or wherever?

this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
It has a timer and heat. It was big enough to clean a full size 1911 pistol in it.

the cheaper model is way smaller and wont fit an airbrush lengthwise.

Does anyone know where I can get a fine mesh basket or bag I can use in mine? I dont enjoy fishing around in hot simple green and a basket would help.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 14, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
For anyone out there who is doubting their painting skills, I recommend you take a look at Sigur's painting threads over on Warseer (Fantasy thread / 40K thread)

He's gone from this (circa 1997):

To this (circa 2006):

To this (circa 2011):

Very inspiring.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be getting a Hobby Lobby in the area. Do they carry GW stuff at all?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
GW brand no. Stuff you can use for this hobby, yes. Knives, terrain stuff, modelling supplies etc. but no miniatures.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

For anyone out there who is doubting their painting skills, I recommend you take a look at Sigur's painting threads over on Warseer (Fantasy thread / 40K thread)

He's gone from this (circa 1997):

To this (circa 2006):

To this (circa 2011):

Very inspiring.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be getting a Hobby Lobby in the area. Do they carry GW stuff at all?

Ad all it took was a decade of practice :pwn:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Has anybody ever used Army Painter colour primers? Specifically the Angel green.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

Has anybody ever used Army Painter colour primers? Specifically the Angel green.

I've got a ton of their primers, including Angel Green. I'm waiting for my Dragon Forge bases to show up before I start painting my DA though. I've heard good things, but you have to use them slightly differently than regular spray primer/paints or else it ends up fuzzy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Double post with content:
Those 13 Marines are done, with some extra OSL for fun on the plasma gunners!

And with the 7 Marines from December, making for one big 20-man mob:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Ad all it took was a decade of practice :pwn:

Nah, not really. 2006 is about the time he started painting seriously (as in commission work.) He went from decent to really good in about 2 years, and to drat good in about another 1 year. I just used the photos to show the progression from his humble beginnings because I know that there are people out there who look at their first painted models and compare them to a Golden Daemon winner and give up at that point. All it takes is perseverance and lots of practice. Sigur is a painting machine - he gets more done in one day than I get done in a month (and I am not being glib.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's still something to be proud of. My lack of motivation is legendary :(

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SRM your models are always v. pretty and I enjoy looking at Internet pictures of them. :)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Hixson posted:

I use it for my necron vehicles, and aside from it's tendency to go on way too thick if I'm not careful with it, it works fine.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

I've got a ton of their primers, including Angel Green. I'm waiting for my Dragon Forge bases to show up before I start painting my DA though. I've heard good things, but you have to use them slightly differently than regular spray primer/paints or else it ends up fuzzy.

Groetgaffel posted:

I use it for my necron vehicles, and aside from it's tendency to go on way too thick if I'm not careful with it, it works fine.

Thanks guys. I just ordered a can of it.

If it's anything close to the quality of their spray varnishes I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Does anyone have advice on freehand painting? I have painted up the Gamling on the left and have no idea on how I am going to paint the white horse on the banner. The fact that the banner is curved around is making me nervous to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Helloooooooooo Devlan Mud replacement. How has the Army Painter Strong Tone ink been working out for you?

• Locked thread