Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm sorry, but that absolutely cannot be a Quake game.

He's standing still and he still won, for crying out loud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Maybe they were trying to simulate the experience of multiplayer in Dreamcast Q3.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

Console ports of PC-centric FPS games were weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXeti5M-Wo

To make it even weirder, this port was done by Bullfrog, and you deathmatched against Dungeon Keeper characters at one point.

I had this game! It's pretty much as lame as it looks. After beating that boss you would indeed unlock the Horned Reaper and Mistress and fight in a dungeon-themed map.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I had this game! It's pretty much as lame as it looks. After beating that boss you would indeed unlock the Horned Reaper and Mistress and fight in a dungeon-themed map.
Surely it's not as bad as the PS2 port of Unreal Tournament, right? If I recall correctly, that game had glitches that prevented you from using certain guns even if you had plenty of ammo.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I got around to learning how the Doom Builder works and made my first map!

But I don't know anyone who plays Doom anymore, let alone someone who would test it out. You guys seem to know your stuff, so could I have a little constructive criticism?

http://filecloud.io/m9wrlibc

Only the first map is changed, it should work in ZDoom or something like that though.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Zero Star posted:

Surely it's not as bad as the PS2 port of Unreal Tournament, right? If I recall correctly, that game had glitches that prevented you from using certain guns even if you had plenty of ammo.

The PS2 port was fun. It had splitscreen Coop, which worked fantastically well.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

StabMasterArson posted:

But I don't know anyone who plays Doom anymore, let alone someone who would test it out. You guys seem to know your stuff, so could I have a little constructive criticism?

Only the first map is changed, it should work in ZDoom or something like that though.

GZdoom reports a bunch of unknown things so I think something is wrong. You need to vary the floor and ceiling heights more, it's pretty monotonous with them all at the same height. The secret behind the slime waterfall would be better as a walk-through wall. The window to the outside in the grey corridor looks really weird since it has no depth - the window should have sides, not just be a hole. Don't make the exit door the exit, that caught me off guard because nothing ever works that way.

The actual mappers in this thread can probably give more useful advice. Keep on trucking! :toot:

Fake Edit: Man chocolate doom reports a missing texture and prboom+ says the floor in the second room (with the imps in cages) is a missing flat. There is something seriously wrong here.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

GZdoom reports a bunch of unknown things so I think something is wrong. You need to vary the floor and ceiling heights more, it's pretty monotonous with them all at the same height. The secret behind the slime waterfall would be better as a walk-through wall. The window to the outside in the grey corridor looks really weird since it has no depth - the window should have sides, not just be a hole. Don't make the exit door the exit, that caught me off guard because nothing ever works that way.

Thanks for the advice man, they all seem completely logical and I'll try to work them in.

SavageMessiah posted:

Fake Edit: Man chocolate doom reports a missing texture and prboom+ says the floor in the second room (with the imps in cages) is a missing flat. There is something seriously wrong here.

Welp. :negative:

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Johnny Law posted:

Hey Quake gurus etc etc

Really appreciate this post, glad to find Epsilon Pack, always was very frustrating trying to hunt down Q1 hi-res stuff. I'm having a few issues on the "vanilla" end with Quakespasm though:

1) Certain pitches don't sound right in music playback... same files are working fine in Darkplaces. Very weird effect, ie on e1m1 the bass sounds fine but but the higher pitches are turned into either noise or totally different tones.
2) The guns are being drawn super low on the screen, almost obscured by the status bar.

Are these just quirks of Spasm or is something jacked with my install? I did separate Darkplaces and Spasm as per your guide.

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Goddrat do I like the Brutal Doom v0.18 Mancubus Cannon. It's been significantly upgraded, and it's pretty easy to turn 7 or 8 zombies into a screaming wall of fire with a single shot, or dispatch a Revenant with two shots. Now that fireballs cause area-damage fires, you can really cut off enemy approaches and turn cramped rooms into chaotic messes--monsters bursting into flames and stunlocking nearby enemies; Fires from errant fireballs causing extra damage over time. Plus, it lights up dark areas, which makes it the perfect flashlight (much better than the one from Doom 3).

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

v0.18's out? Do you have a link? All I can seem to find anywhere is v0.17.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AE-35 Unit posted:

v0.18's out? Do you have a link? All I can seem to find anywhere is v0.17.

It's actually Test2 of V0.18, but Sergeant_Mark put it out shortly before Christmas: LINK

He says it's Zandronum-only, but I've been playing it a ton with GZDoom and haven't noticed anything weird.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Man, this reminds me of some of my first WADs back when I started with WADED. It's very reminiscent of early ones from the 90's, so that took me back.

As has been said, ZDoom complained of things with invalid thing types, so I saw a bunch of red <!> floating around that I think were supposed to be weapons and stuff.

There was a HOM here and there (in the grey hallway) and at least one door (green armor/red room) with its doortrack textures not lower unpegged, so the texture rose up with the door when it opened.

That said, it's a whole helluva lot better than my first WAD ever was.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's actually Test2 of V0.18, but Sergeant_Mark put it out shortly before Christmas: LINK

He says it's Zandronum-only, but I've been playing it a ton with GZDoom and haven't noticed anything weird.

Danke! :tipshat:

I see in the changelog that he removed bullet splash damage. Not sure how I feel about that. I actually grew to like it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExMortis posted:

Are these just quirks of Spasm or is something jacked with my install? I did separate Darkplaces and Spasm as per your guide.

If you have the Quake Epsilon stuff installed in a place where QuakeSpasm can see it, then that could be the explanation. I would imagine that at least some of it is only tested/meant to work with the DarkPlaces engine.

Buuuuut it might just be the way things are, to some extent. Lemme 'splain.

Music: I did some A/B testing between QuakeSpasm and DarkPlaces, and QS (playing either MP3 or OGG) does sound a little more fuzzy or muffled than DP (playing OGG). That's got me curious so I'll check into that, see if it's a known issue. DirectQ and Fitzquake Mark V seem to play the music "correctly" like DarkPlaces does.

For the weapon placement, it's hard to say if you're seeing something problematic -- can you post a screenshot? If you are playing in a low resolution then the statusbar can get in the way a bit; if you're playing in a widescreen resolution then you may need to adjust your FOV upwards. Default is 90; try fov 100 if you are in a 16:10 resolution or fov 106 for 16:9.

I use fov 106 in a widescreen resolution, then I increase the statusbar size a little and make it somewhat transparent, like the first-person screenshots of this batch:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/screenshots/?appid=2310&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

So here's a summary of the non-default settings I currently have for QuakeSpasm. These are console variables; if you change their values using the console then most of them will be saved to config.cfg. (The very last batch won't, so I have them in autoexec.cfg.)

First, to scale the statusbar and change its opacity:
code:
scr_sbaralpha "0.75"
scr_sbarscale "1.5"
You also might like these for faster console pulldown and a nice crosshair:
code:
scr_conspeed "9999"
crosshair "1"
scr_crosshairscale "2"
A few more non-default things I see in my config (anisotropic filtering, pixel-y pixels like the original Quake, and a bump on the limit of # of entities):
code:
gl_texture_anisotropy "8.000000"
gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
max_edicts "1500"
And of course you want to have a nice +mlook at the end of config.cfg. :-)

Finally these are the variables I set in autoexec.cfg, to make sure they get executed on every launch since they're not saved in config.cfg (FOV, disable vertical autoaim, disable vsync):
code:
fov 106
sv_aim 1
vid_vsync 0
vid_vsync actually is saved but it seems to improperly revert to "1" at times. Maybe only when I mess with the video settings menu? I haven't figured out what's going on there.

P.S. I would bet these same settings work with Fitzquake Mark V, if you want to try a QuakeSpasm-like engine that might have better music playback.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 13, 2013

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Convex posted:

According to PC Gamer, some guy managed to get his hands on the original alpha demo for Half-Life and uploaded a couple of videos to Youtube to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUMv7_zIHec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7bTo5xLyQ

I love it when things like this eventually turn up :unsmith:

That Stalkyard match made me nostalgic.

Which old FPS games still have players? I fired up QWTf the other day and there were none :(

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Johnny Law posted:

Quakespasm stuff, Fitzquake stuff

Thanks Johnny. The weapon draw ended up being an FOV issue, that was my bad. But yeah, I tried both some OGGs and the MP3s I ripped forever ago and got the same weird sound in Quakespasm. Was not sure if Fitzquake V supported external music, so I'll just switch to that.

I know this's been gone over before but for good Q1 levels all I remember is CZG/Honey. Travail looks a'ight. What are some other greats? I'll be playing official levels for a while anyway, never actually played Armagon/Eternity before.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I didn't really like Eternity, to be honest. The level design felt pretty boring and the "new" weapons are just alternate ammo/firing modes for the originals. Armagon was pretty good and had a lot more in the way of variety. Also, :black101: Mjolnir!

I should play through those expansions again. It's been a while.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExMortis posted:

Thanks Johnny. The weapon draw ended up being an FOV issue, that was my bad. But yeah, I tried both some OGGs and the MP3s I ripped forever ago and got the same weird sound in Quakespasm. Was not sure if Fitzquake V supported external music, so I'll just switch to that.

I know this's been gone over before but for good Q1 levels all I remember is CZG/Honey. Travail looks a'ight. What are some other greats? I'll be playing official levels for a while anyway, never actually played Armagon/Eternity before.

Cool, have fun!

As for maps...

There's two or three different "schools" of good Quake maps I think. One school is classic Quake themes and monsters and weapons, just super-polished. However there are other mappers that like to add new monsters/weapons, and/or make "horde" maps with tons of monsters.

"Spirit", the guy who manages quaddicted.com, tends to lean toward the classic stuff and has good recommendations on those lines. He does recommend some wackier stuff at times :) but I think his baseline is just "good ol' Quake" -- which actually works pretty well for me, that's my default too but I do like to try some of the best maps of the other "schools".

The reason I mention that is because this thread on the old Steam forums has recommendations in that zone from Spirit and others: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2565483

And the "news" section of func_msgboard (http://www.celephais.net/board/) has release announcements. Since it's not super-active it's easy to look back over a pretty long time. The releases announced here are usually quite good.

(Check out the most recent release announced there, "In The Shadows". Something pretty different but still neat in a Quake-y way, and the maps are interesting spins on familiar places.)

If you see anything that mentions "Quoth" or "Drake", FYI those are a couple of fairly-well-accepted mods for adding new monsters/weapons. Any download that requires one of those mods should hopefully also come with instructions on how to get & use the mod. (Or it will just go ahead and bundle in some version of the mod.)

Edit: another possibly interesting func_msgboard thread, although it's a little all over the place: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60835

JLaw fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 13, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

That Stalkyard match made me nostalgic.

Which old FPS games still have players? I fired up QWTf the other day and there were none :(

Doom still has players, same goes with Quake 3, Unreal, UT and Quake via quakeworld.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

I didn't really like Eternity, to be honest. The level design felt pretty boring and the "new" weapons are just alternate ammo/firing modes for the originals. Armagon was pretty good and had a lot more in the way of variety. Also, :black101: Mjolnir!

I should play through those expansions again. It's been a while.

Coincidentally I'm actually playing through mission pack 2 right now, first time in a long time. (Maybe just second time overall, except for a few random pokes at it.) Getting the soundtrack guide together motivated me to play through MP2 to hear its music in context.

So yeah: It's true that the "new" weapons are blah.

And the map design is odd. It's fiddly to navigate around in. Monster placement and appearance can be kinda bullshit.

On the other hand the monster bullshit actually makes it more challenging on Nightmare than the other old official maps tend to be. And the maps are interesting for some reason that's hard to put my finger on -- I guess as a time capsule of 1990s professional level design. The levels actually have a pretty good flow and variety but they just commit so many mapping sins from today's perspective.

Anyway I'd agree it's weaker than MP1. It's harder for me to be objective about how it compares to the original campaign, but it certainly doesn't outshine most of it.

(FWIW I'm closing out the first episode right now; maybe it really collapses in ep 2 for all I know.)

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are there any good map compilations for coop like there are for doom?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Doom still has players, same goes with Quake 3, Unreal, UT and Quake via quakeworld.

My rule of thumb with old mods (like QWTF) is that they're only played by a specific group at a certain time. Google search a mod to see if you can find a website or IRC group that plays it. Join it, and then wait until they're ready.

Also, beware of bots. HL1DM and TFC are infested with them. I know that in HL1 and TFC, you can tell the server has bots if players have zero ping and consistently do stupid poo poo, like charge you with a Crowbar in a straight line when you're got weapons like the RPG or Crossbow.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Hey. Just found this thread. Very excited about diving into all the mods and old school games. I booted up doom 2 today and felt like a 10 year old again.

Two questions at the moment.
1. How do I disable mouse movement in zdoom? I like being able to mouse look but I keep loving up my movement because I can't figure out how to disable the forward backwards movement.

2. Is there a steam group or something for finding others to coop and vs with/against? I have plenty solo content but doing something multiplayer would be cool too.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Znorps! posted:

1. How do I disable mouse movement in zdoom? I like being able to mouse look but I keep loving up my movement because I can't figure out how to disable the forward backwards movement.

Turn off Lookspring and Lookstrafe in the mouse options.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

Music: I did some A/B testing between QuakeSpasm and DarkPlaces, and QS (playing either MP3 or OGG) does sound a little more fuzzy or muffled than DP (playing OGG). That's got me curious so I'll check into that, see if it's a known issue. DirectQ and Fitzquake Mark V seem to play the music "correctly" like DarkPlaces does.

One last (I hope) comment on the music thing. It's slightly more complicated than just "this engine good, that engine bad". Rather than info dump here I'll just point back to my soundtrack guide; I added a section on sample rate. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

ColoradoCleric posted:

So are there any good map compilations for coop like there are for doom?

If you're asking about Quake maps... nothing specifically for co-op that I'm aware of.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 13, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Znorps! posted:

2. Is there a steam group or something for finding others to coop and vs with/against? I have plenty solo content but doing something multiplayer would be cool too.
There is a Steam group for playing older FPS games with other goons, but it doesn't seem to be super active. You could try making a post asking if anyone is down for playing multiplayer.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I would be down for having like a weekly or biweekly classic mod/game multiplayer night.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
HL1DM sure is fun...when it's not a 24/7 Crossbow spamfest. Things like Tripmines, Gauss jumping, Shotgun battles and Satchels make HL1DM what it is; why get rid of them in favor of making it another Instagib DM game? :smith:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Law posted:

If you're asking about Quake maps... nothing specifically for co-op that I'm aware of.

Ok well maybe not specifically coop oriented but single player level campaigns with monsters that I can play co-op with friends. Quake was nice for having a single player campaign you could go through with friends.

closeted republican posted:

HL1DM sure is fun...when it's not a 24/7 Crossbow spamfest. Things like Tripmines, Gauss jumping, Shotgun battles and Satchels make HL1DM what it is; why get rid of them in favor of making it another Instagib DM game? :smith:

The gauss gun was pretty much what turns any HLDM map into an instagib one.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Throckwoddle posted:

Turn off Lookspring and Lookstrafe in the mouse options.

Thank you

Obeast posted:

There is a Steam group for playing older FPS games with other goons, but it doesn't seem to be super active. You could try making a post asking if anyone is down for playing multiplayer.

And thank you.

I'll check out that steam group and when I'm done with my vanilla run throughs of Doom I'll start with those mods. Feel like I just got a few years worth of fun for $3.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ColoradoCleric posted:

Ok well maybe not specifically coop oriented but single player level campaigns with monsters that I can play co-op with friends. Quake was nice for having a single player campaign you could go through with friends.

Hmm OK. Well there are approximately a bazillion Quake maps out there. See my post above for some recommendations. If you're going to play them co-op, then even on Nightmare difficulty they may be a bit too easy if you guys are any good at shooters, so you may want to have a look at the maps that specialize in lots and lots of monsters. Recent stuff from Tronyn comes to mind, like Unforgiven or A Roman Wilderness Of Pain. Or The Marcher Fortress by Kinn. Actually, maybe look through https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ for stuff tagged hard, difficult, epic, or huge. :)

Easiest setup for co-op is going to be using GLQuake or one of the modern non-QuakeWorld engines (QuakeSpasm, Fitzquake Mark V, DarkPlaces, DirectQ). If you play one of those "lots of monsters" maps then a modern engine is probably going to be required.

You can find some mods out there for Quake co-op if you want to increase the difficulty or otherwise spice things up.

Quaddicted.com has a few words about basic co-op stuff: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake/cooperative

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ColoradoCleric posted:

The gauss gun was pretty much what turns any HLDM map into an instagib one.

Back when I played HLDM, the rocket launcher was my go-to weapon.

Does the gluon gun still cause hellacious lag?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Znorps! posted:

Feel like I just got a few years worth of fun for $3.

I'm pretty sure that I've played more Doom than every other game combined due to the infinite single player content (because I play slower than good wads are produced).

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

ZPack with Brutal Doom is kind of ridiculous(ly fun). I've been playing it using v0.17 with bullet splash damage on Brutal difficulty. Only thing is the mod glitches out some of the maps. One in particular I remember is E2M7 at the end where the Invisisphere is required to be collected to fire off a script. In Brutal Doom, it's that space marine that just runs around and shoots things, so it never fires, and you can't exit the level without clipping.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I hope the Brutal Doom guy goes back to the Brutal Arsenal soon enough because using it with the latest GZDoom keeps giving me "expected a name but got something else" errors when I die in a level and reload any save.

Edit: Nevermind, switching to Zandorum fixed it. Also, am I the only one who really kinda hates software rendering in these engines? It makes everything all super dark and pixelly and fuckin butt-ugly.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Thompsons posted:

I hope the Brutal Doom guy goes back to the Brutal Arsenal soon enough because using it with the latest GZDoom keeps giving me "expected a name but got something else" errors when I die in a level and reload any save.

If I recall correctly, he mentioned going back to it after releasing v1.0 of Brutal Doom, which is supposedly be in February sometime (I think?).

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

(I figure it might also be useful to have general info about using the console or command line, and specific instructions on managing widescreen resolutions and FOV, but I'm tired of typing for now.)

Well that turned into quite the infodump: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120426294

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AE-35 Unit posted:

One in particular I remember is E2M7 at the end where the Invisisphere is required to be collected to fire off a script. In Brutal Doom, it's that space marine that just runs around and shoots things, so it never fires, and you can't exit the level without clipping.

Have you tried killing him? Items run their special when picked up, but monsters do so when killed. (And technically, a helper marine is a monster.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Red_Mage posted:

The PS2 port was fun. It had splitscreen Coop, which worked fantastically well.

I played so much co-op split screen Unreal Tournament on PS2 its ridiculous.

We didn't have enough computers to LAN UT, so it was the next best thing.

All we ever did was camp the redeemer :v: a different time