Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

:fap:

Can't wait to wear this all weekend and get blasted.

Can't wait to wear only this all weekend and get blasted.

:shlick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sellouts posted:

Breaking up the band is the worst.

This past season I was facing moving back east and was talking to my girl at the time about it. She knew my team captain and put it past her. Cue some angry and confused calls about why I hadn't considered the team first before the move. Also a little offended that the team was the last to hear about it.

Serious business.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

This past season I was facing moving back east and was talking to my girl at the time about it. She knew my team captain and put it past her. Cue some angry and confused calls about why I hadn't considered the team first before the move. Also a little offended that the team was the last to hear about it.

Serious business.

C'mon man, you don't just ditch your team when they're making a run for the stanley cup. You made a promise!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

C'mon man, you don't just ditch your team when they're making a run for the stanley cup. You made a promise!

My captain put me in place. It was a stupid to even entertain the idea.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Glad to hear it. HockeyTron is a weird store. It is amazingly large, has weird corporate offices around the top I think, but not a ton of selection.

I got the S30. S40 "Aviator" shield is a weird size, it is very short and even the guys working there were like "Yeah, the S30 is short, the S40, if you wear your helmet slightly high, is basically useless". They didn't have the S50 in store and online it's for preorder by Nov 14.

Lots of little poo poo in the store like they were out of single roll shin guard tape (again, how), but sold packs of 3 or packs of 1 white cloth tape, 2 black cloth tape, and 2 shin guard rolls. The guy wouldn't break one of those open to sell a single roll of shinguard and put the rest as individuals back on the individual roll rack. I... don't know. That's gotta be a large margin piece of product.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of the quality of a lot of their stuff but they did a good job with the jersey customization.

Simple number + single color custom front logo was ~$85 for 6. I provided blank jerseys at around $35 each, so for ~$50 each we have these with no minimum purchase. About as cheap as it gets with so few ordered.

Also their Tron brand one piece sticks are loving weird. They are light but just feel weird to me. I dunno.

Those jerseys look really nice. We finally filled out our pond roster and I'm going to order ours on Monday. I think I'm also going to pick up the smoke S30 visor as well.

Regarding the Tron sticks, I have a few people on my team that swear by them. Mostly because they're cheap though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey guys, this thread is getting on two years old. Mayhaps it's time for a new one?

EDIT:
I would be happy to help in any way I can, seeing as Bewbies put in a shitton of work in the first page getting all that info up there.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

An EASHL team becomes real. I haven't yet decided if this is awesome or downright :spergin:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aMBfU_0ziI

I plan to wear this all weekend while blasted. :manning::fh:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Close! The Five Hole Sports shop here in Charlotte is actually in Indian Trail at the Extreme Ice Center where the Checkers train/practice. Its a great facility (just started their Hockey U program actually).

Wait your in Charlotte too? We will have to meet up for some hockey, have you been to the Pineville yet?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Hey guys, this thread is getting on two years old. Mayhaps it's time for a new one?

EDIT:
I would be happy to help in any way I can, seeing as Bewbies put in a shitton of work in the first page getting all that info up there.

Why? What's changed?

The OP is as applicable today as it was then. I mean if there's a contribution to be made let's do it but his post is pretty drat comprehensive.

HZ: thanks, the logo is cool and I am happy given cost and number we ordered. That said, last years via high stick proper are much nicer. If you're going through them you'll be very pleased. Can't wait to see yours.

And the price on the S30 is so cheap I can't see why anyone who is thinking about a visor or will not use it full time would get anything else. Just don't spend the extra money on the S40!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 13, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I did not write that post well. I merely meant that after two years it may be time for a new thread. Yes, all the info in the opening posts owns and is still 100% applicable.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

Wait your in Charlotte too? We will have to meet up for some hockey, have you been to the Pineville yet?

Sure! I'm just getting into things here myself and am as amateur a hockey player as possible, but what the hey. I've not been to the rink in Pineville (the Ice House, I think), though I hear its okay.

CoolZCBD
Jan 14, 2013
This forum is great! For anyone looking into skates, if your on the ice a whole lot and want a very nice skate, Bauer Vapor 7.0's are amazing. Anyone here know of any really good sticks? I like the APX but I have heard that the new Total One is really good?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use a TotalOne LE 67 flex and love it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My skates are falling to poo poo. I wear a size 15 wide shoe. My CCM Tacks are size 13 E. I can't find ANYTHING worthwhile in my opinion.

Stupid frightening height.

Edit: Bauer Vapor X5's...?

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 14, 2013

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
When I played hockey tonight, I was the best skater on my team. That's not a good sign (I only started skating 3 years ago)

I scored 2 easy goals then dropped to defense to make it more fair. We still won 10-3.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

19 o'clock posted:

My skates are falling to poo poo. I wear a size 15 wide shoe. My CCM Tacks are size 13 E. I can't find ANYTHING worthwhile in my opinion.

Having to buy kids' sizes of skates isn't very helpful when looking for something worthwhile either. So I'd say drat all of those average sized people. :argh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Man, going bar down feels SOOOOO good

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

19 o'clock posted:

I've had X5.0s for going on two years and they've held up ok.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Played in my first game last night and I "shared" a third line spot with another player so I got about half the shift I would have normally played. Good news, we won. Better news, I didn't embarrass myself and actually had a few good passes. Bad news, got home and found out an old shipmate of mine died unexpectedly of a diabetic attack. So, mixed night :(

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So we played the all-girls team last night... and lost. They skated better, passed more often, and generally just had better positioning. There's just something about all-girls teams and actually playing like a team. I chalk it up to women being smarter than men. :v:

Anyway, one of their forwards randomly came up to me during the game after we got a turnover and yelled at me, "don't lead with you elbow, I'll slash your loving throat". I was all :stare: because I hadn't been near her, I was just making a turn to get back into the neutral zone. So when I yelled back to chill out, all I heard was "(inaudible) motherfucker".

After the game, I was informed by the girls on the team that I am friendly with that apparently on a previous play, one of their other players bumped me into her and I had knocked her down. Apparently they calmed her down when she got to the bench and they told her I didn't just elbow her.

Anyway, the whole point of this story is that she's actually the sister in-law of a well known NHL player, so I thought that was p boss.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

Played in my first game last night and I "shared" a third line spot with another player so I got about half the shift I would have normally played. Good news, we won. Better news, I didn't embarrass myself and actually had a few good passes. Bad news, got home and found out an old shipmate of mine died unexpectedly of a diabetic attack. So, mixed night :(

Sorry to hear about your friend. The sharing a line thing is bullshit (and obviously not your fault or idea!). Why didn't you rotate the extra man through all of the lines like normal? Especially if it's your first game. Not like you're playing for the Stanley Cup out there. Cutting a players ice time only makes them worse.

JetsGuy posted:

So we played the all-girls team last night... and lost.

Yeah, in HS we got worked by an all girls team when we got cocky. I played against a co-ed squad on 4v4 and was yelled at by a player for elbowing her when she skated into me and my arms were at my side trying to contain a puck up close. She was just so short she skated into my arms. No penalty was called and after the game she apologized and we were cool the rest of the season but drat did she chirp a lot.

The other coed team we play has a girl who always lines with an ex UColorado player. She has 2 goals and I think 19 assists in 10 games. And we've held her to 1 point in the 2 games we played against her. It's hilarious. She's a great passer. And her sister plays on the team and is the most physical. They are awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just submitted the order for our pond jerseys. These are going to be sick. I'll post some pictures when they come in.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just submitted the order for our pond jerseys. These are going to be sick. I'll post some pictures when they come in.

my team wears digicam jerseys. :smug:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

sellouts posted:

Sorry to hear about your friend. The sharing a line thing is bullshit (and obviously not your fault or idea!). Why didn't you rotate the extra man through all of the lines like normal? Especially if it's your first game. Not like you're playing for the Stanley Cup out there. Cutting a players ice time only makes them worse.

I'll be honest, I was a little "WTF?" when I saw it but I don't want to cause any problems yet and seriously, I'm loving slow as poo poo out there. Also, until fairly recently my ankles haven't allowed me to skate a full 90 minutes practice so there might have been some concern over that too. Cap'n pulled me and "the other one" aside before the game to make sure we understood that it wasn't personal or anything and seriously, I was too nervous about playing at all to be angry. There was one shift where I got skipped by the other line ahead of us and "the other one" didn't sit a shift out so I had an extended break but I just relaxed and caught my wind. This was our first game and the coaches were really pinging on us to stay in position so I was trying really hard to concentrate on that, which paid off at the end of the game.

"the other one" kept getting out of position and didn't change on time a few times and was getting yelled at. The last shift of the game the coach put me, the alternate captain and the guy who scored two goals for us out there, telling me to make sure I watched for the "floater" and stayed in position. I did that, the puck came to me on the boards in our defensive zone and I hit the floater breaking into the offensive zone with a really nice pass. He got tripped up, they called a penalty and he scored the "penalty shot thingy" with 5 seconds left and we won by one goal.

So all in all it was a good game and while I had to share ice time, I think the fact that I didn't bitch and listened to the coaches said enough.

Also we are getting new jerseys and they are digicam. I mean, I get it...we're a loving team of Military Vets but I was kind of hoping to not ever wear camo again.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Thufir posted:

I've had X5.0s for going on two years and they've held up ok.

They seem decent enough. What do you think of them?

My current setup is CCM Tacks 652s that are a decade old. The boot is shredded such that rivets are not holding much anymore. That is, the holes are shredded and getting wider. New rivets every couple of weeks is becoming prohibitively costly.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

So we played the all-girls team last night... and lost. They skated better, passed more often, and generally just had better positioning. There's just something about all-girls teams and actually playing like a team. I chalk it up to women being smarter than men. :v:

Thats because they practice.

Also gently caress playing girls teams, dirtiest players, and they get away with murder and they know it, and you cant do anything about it.

Except pummel them on the scoreboard which is what we always did our 1 or 2 games a year against the next age groups girls teams.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

19 o'clock posted:

They seem decent enough. What do you think of them?

My current setup is CCM Tacks 652s that are a decade old. The boot is shredded such that rivets are not holding much anymore. That is, the holes are shredded and getting wider. New rivets every couple of weeks is becoming prohibitively costly.

I like them but all I have to compare them to is Bauer X20s and X40s so...

I imagine you'd find them a lot stiffer and lighter than your Tacks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey xzzy (and other wood stick weirdos), I forgot to mention this but HockeyTron seemed to have a large selection of wood sticks. I mean they had racks and racks of them. I'm sure most were the same style or whatever but just wanted to bring it up if you're looking for some variety to whatever you use currently. Just FYI.

Flyinglemur posted:

This was our first game and the coaches were really pinging on us to stay in position so I was trying really hard to concentrate on that, which paid off at the end of the game.

I'm confused -- coaches? What kind of league/level is this? And sweet play to end the game, you totally made that happen!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I'm confused -- coaches? What kind of league/level is this? And sweet play to end the game, you totally made that happen!

The development league here actually has coaches on the benches and a few organized practice sessions. I'd guess it's that.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

sellouts posted:

Hey xzzy (and other wood stick weirdos), I forgot to mention this but HockeyTron seemed to have a large selection of wood sticks. I mean they had racks and racks of them. I'm sure most were the same style or whatever but just wanted to bring it up if you're looking for some variety to whatever you use currently. Just FYI.

Well, we have this guy who is apparently pretty high up in the hockey operations for Minnesota hockey that has volunteered to coach the White Team (the talented guys) and the Green Team (Slow Kids) in his free time since we (Green) are going to represent at the National Disabled Hockey tournament in Philly in March. Not really in a league, in fact this is pretty much the only game we had/have(?) scheduled but we practice sometimes jointly and sometimes individual squads twice a week.

The White Team plays more often.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Next year, we have to figure out how to get our jersey logo to be an animated .gif

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

The development league here actually has coaches on the benches and a few organized practice sessions. I'd guess it's that.

That would be pretty lovely if it was the case and they were not splitting ice time up evenly. That's the point of i-League!

Flyinglemur, that rules a lot. Be sure to post a lot about your prep and how it goes at the tournament. That sounds very cool and a fun opportunity. And thanks for your service

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My prep is me driving to the rink saying "don't gently caress up don't gently caress up don't gently caress up" over and over until I almost get sick. Then try to get dressed in the right order (happens MOST of the time) and then make sure the skate guards are off before I hit the ice. THAT only bit me in the rear end once.

The night we skated at the Excel Center. After I left the room without my stick.

Yeah, not one of my best nights. Oh well :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least you haven't left your skates at home like I did once!

Now I have a mental checklist I go through every time before I leave the house.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

At least you haven't left your skates at home like I did once!

I left my jersey hanging at home after a wash and forgot it before a game. Thankfully, I live two blocks from the rink and hadn't put on my skates yet. My neighbors caught me running up the stairs to my apartment in hockey pants, socks, shins and a tee-shirt 10 minutes before our game that day!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Last night one of our good players forgot his gloves. Luckily I had an extra (old) pair from when I would gently caress around playing inline 10 years ago.

He said they killed his knuckles. Guess he shouldn't have forgotten his :)

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Flyinglemur posted:

My prep is me driving to the rink saying "don't gently caress up don't gently caress up don't gently caress up" over and over until I almost get sick. Then try to get dressed in the right order (happens MOST of the time) and then make sure the skate guards are off before I hit the ice.

This made me laugh because its identical to my pre-game, except the "don't gently caress up" mantra continues throughout the game, only changing to "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" when I get possession.

One week our designated jersey monkey forgot our jerseys, and he lived 90 minutes away from the rink. Luckily we could scrounge enough black together to avoid forfeit, and then we beat the leagues best team for the one and only time. They weren't happy to be beaten by a middlin tier team that can't even remember jerseys.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The worst is forgetting your jock. Only happens once, though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Y'all are some disorganized motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

The worst is forgetting your jock. Only happens once, though.

I once went out for a S&P just wearing skates, helmet and gloves. Some buddies of mine showed up and wanted to play a quick lil game... one of 'em took a wrister that I got in the way of (unintentionally) and took it on my inner thigh.

Lemme tell you how happy I was it wasn't a few inches further in! :v: