Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HookShot posted:

US PRESIDENTS
He was the 22nd & 24th President of the United States

Grover Cleveland

*24 hours ago*

Raskolnikov38 posted:

At least you were the right century, all I could think of for some reason was Grover Cleveland.

gently caress should have taken it tonight. To make this worse as I struggled to think of Hoover the only thing that stopped me from putting Cleveland in was knowing he's only famous for the non consecutive terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Dammit, I missed 15 at least and maybe one more. Blegh blagh blugh.

I put vomiting instead of morning sickness, that'd probably be a "be more specific" situation on the actual show (and I wouldn't have come up with it quick enough.)

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

escape artist posted:

Midsummer's Night ;)

No.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

You're right. My bad

And I would have done much better on last night's test than Wednesday's. Still don't know that one about the House committee. I looked up budget committee and appropriations and both of those don't fit the timeline.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Goddamn it I just said "mechanic panic" but the clue specifically was plural. I hope they'll accept it. :ohdear:
They would accept it on the show; they're pretty lenient about singular vs. plural when it's not part of a title or some other official name, or there's not a specific number of letters that responses must have.* The thing that would get you dinged in a Rhyme Time category on the show would be having the S at the end of one word but not the other.

*edit: I played against Watson in an untelevised sparring match in October 2010, and won my third and last game because Final Jeopardy said "this 4-letter term" and Watson responded with the correct word's 5-letter plural.

Discount Viscount posted:

Dammit, I missed 15 at least and maybe one more. Blegh blagh blugh.

I put vomiting instead of morning sickness, that'd probably be a "be more specific" situation on the actual show (and I wouldn't have come up with it quick enough.)

Honestly I think they'll have to accept some other responses besides morning sickness, because hyperemesis gravidarum is more than just "extreme morning sickness." And "hyperemesis" pretty much just means "extreme vomiting" anyway.

iS! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 11, 2013

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
If that list is right I got 33, and 34 if my congress answer was right (I guessed ways and means). Better than I thought.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

HookShot posted:

18. CONGRESS
Created July 24, 1789, it's the main committee in the House that deals with tax bills

??? (couldn't find this online sorry)

Ways and Means

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HookShot posted:

Someone correct me if I screwed these up.

Well, guess it was a good thing I didn't bother taking the test, I would've failed that miserably.
While watching the show I feel like I can answer enough of them to at least be competitive if not win, though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The test questions deliberately consist of the hardest material to weed out those who hasn't cut it!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Pretty sure I did 5-10 pts better on the one I took than I would have on the other ones. EST is best.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Officer Sandvich posted:

If that list is right I got 33, and 34 if my congress answer was right (I guessed ways and means). Better than I thought.

I did better than I thought too if that list is correct. I got 33 as well.

Does anybody know what the threshold is to call you for an audition?

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 11, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

an adult beverage posted:

There isn't one. Obviously the more the better but it's not like they say "ok everyone who got at least X right gets a callback".

Also I'm sure it's all relative but seeing those other two tests makes me less proud of kicking rear end at the Tuesday one. I can just the producers saying "ok, that's the easy one, let's go through the pile of people who got them all right and see who we want." :smith:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Just so you know, you get an email about an audition, not a call. You only get a call if you're going to be on the show. Good luck to everyone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Riptor posted:

Ways and Means
Thanks, I've edited the post to reflect the answer!

But yeah, good luck everyone!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

I did better than I thought too if that list is correct. I got 33 as well.

If there is a threshold, I assume it'd be percentile based on top of probably geographic, demographic, and other criteria.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hooray I got Ways and Means right.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iS! posted:

Honestly I think they'll have to accept some other responses besides morning sickness, because hyperemesis gravidarum is more than just "extreme morning sickness." And "hyperemesis" pretty much just means "extreme vomiting" anyway.

I put down 'pregnancy,' but I think that was because I had Jeopardy confused with Match Game for a moment.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Where do we bitch about Wheel of Fortune? The contestants they have are loving AWFUL.

I'd rather watch two episodes of Jeopardy back to back, and axe Wheel at this rate.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I routinely solve Wheel of Fortune like 5 minutes before the contestants. Like, I was watching last month when someone landed on the jackpot or whatever with a full board of letters and only like 5 or so revealed. Pat asked if (s)he wanted to solve, and I said, "heh, not this early!" Then I thought about it for a few seconds and got it. It was a holiday theme with a bunch of short words, so I don't know if their puzzles are too easy or contestants are too dumb or some combination of the two. But it's not me.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I hate Wheel of Fortune.

Also, that was smart of the girl to wager $0 and just take the $21,600, even though it turns out she got the answer right anyway.

She would be quite attractive if she didn't dress like my 90 year old grandmother.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

escape artist posted:

Also, that was smart of the girl to wager $0 and just take the $21,600, even though it turns out she got the answer right anyway.

She would be quite attractive if she didn't dress like my 90 year old grandmother.

Deep down, the producers are seething at having to pay off another tie for her. Double prize money has to add up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't think it's a big deal. It kind of averages out when you consider she averaged $6,000 in each win for her first 3 wins, so all three contestants were paid off with under $10,000 for 3 days.

I was glad they took back some of her money for leaving out a syllable in Mendeleev though. Though in retrospect, it would have saved them $20k not to correct that mistake.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Deep down, the producers are seething at having to pay off another tie for her. Double prize money has to add up.

Meh, the first three days she was on she got like $17k, plus if you add the extra 7 the other dude got that still averages under $10k/day.

The last week or so of contestants (except Ashok) have been really, really dumb.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

HookShot posted:

The last week or so of contestants (except Ashok) have been really, really dumb.

Ashok's weakness seemed to be pop culture.

Dude couldn't figure out the Seven Dwarves.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ashok's weakness seemed to be pop culture.

Dude couldn't figure out the Seven Dwarves.

That's not a weakness in pop culture, that's a weakness in, like... general cultural immersion.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

uublog posted:

I routinely solve Wheel of Fortune like 5 minutes before the contestants. Like, I was watching last month when someone landed on the jackpot or whatever with a full board of letters and only like 5 or so revealed. Pat asked if (s)he wanted to solve, and I said, "heh, not this early!" Then I thought about it for a few seconds and got it. It was a holiday theme with a bunch of short words, so I don't know if their puzzles are too easy or contestants are too dumb or some combination of the two. But it's not me.

Usually they keep spinning the wheel to call out letters because that's how you build up money to bank when you do solve the puzzle.

On the other hand I see people buying vowels when it seems like they (should) know the answer already.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

Usually they keep spinning the wheel to call out letters because that's how you build up money to bank when you do solve the puzzle.

On the other hand I see people buying vowels when it seems like they (should) know the answer already.

Yeah, when someone's asking for vowels when most of the puzzle is filled in, that's when they're just being obtuse. Spinning for more letters after you know the solution is an obvious and legit strategy, but of course there's always the danger of hitting bankrupt/lose a turn before you can cash in your fat bankroll on the answer.

A few weeks ago I saw someone finish a puzzle of "Albuquerque, New Mexico" when only the 'A' was filled in. I don't remember their specific circumstances around it, but that could be both a really smart and really stupid thing to do.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've given up on the show, after this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLROkzavFZ8
And where they hosed up 4 times with 4 letters left on the board.

I'll also second the claim that last week's Jeopardy contestants were bad.

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

WHEN DO I GET MY EMAIL???

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I've given up on the show, after this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLROkzavFZ8
And where they hosed up 4 times with 4 letters left on the board.

I'll also second the claim that last week's Jeopardy contestants were bad.

Stupid people have always been on Wheel of Fortune.
The thri-- of -i-tory and the agony of defeat.

A few years ago Jeopardy came on at about 2:30 for me, and I really wish it still did because that's a whole lot more convenient than at 4:30 like it does now.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

gobbles posted:

WHEN DO I GET MY EMAIL???

It can take up to several weeks from what I remember.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You kind of have to be willing to make a fool of yourself to go on Wheel of Fortune. They want really enthusiastic contestants. I could win every puzzle, but they would never put me on TV because I would have such a low key personality. Whereas, with Jeopardy, all you need is an interesting anecdote and you can have low key, dry sense of humor and it's all good.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Either they're dumbing down Final Jeopardy or I'm getting a lot smarter

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Soothing Vapors posted:

It seems like Final Jeopardy has gotten ridiculously easy lately. I used to be proud because it would be once in a blue moon when I got one right. Now I get around 65% of them. It's certainly never the hardest clue on the show, which I thought it was (theoretically) supposed to be

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Soothing Vapors posted:

I got all three landlocked countries so maybe you're onto something.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I liked Alex's double take when he realized they gave a NASA analyst an entire catagory about NASA acronyms.

Though to be fair they were just kind of general astronomy questions.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Andorra posted:

Stupid people have always been on Wheel of Fortune.
The thri-- of -i-tory and the agony of defeat.
I get that, but it seems like contestants blow an easy puzzle every week, as opposed to once in a blue moon.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, when someone's asking for vowels when most of the puzzle is filled in, that's when they're just being obtuse. Spinning for more letters after you know the solution is an obvious and legit strategy, but of course there's always the danger of hitting bankrupt/lose a turn before you can cash in your fat bankroll on the answer.

A few weeks ago I saw someone finish a puzzle of "Albuquerque, New Mexico" when only the 'A' was filled in. I don't remember their specific circumstances around it, but that could be both a really smart and really stupid thing to do.

There are two buzzer rounds where the contestants ring in to answer, on either side of the contestants introducing themselves. That is probably what that was, since you can only buy a vowel with money you've earned in that round, so there's no other way for only a vowel to be on the board.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

HookShot posted:

I liked Alex's double take when he realized they gave a NASA analyst an entire catagory about NASA acronyms.

Though to be fair they were just kind of general astronomy questions.

IIRC, the categories and clues are chosen well in advance of the taping, so things like that happens occasionally. Sucks for the other players, but they still have to be quick on the buzzer.

I mean, odds are there is going to some some category out of the ten that you know really well. Whether it's related to your job, your schooling, a hobby, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah I remember once seeing one where a sportswriter got an all sports category. It's just a coincidence that occasionally happens, like that Cheers episode.