Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The jade statues can all be found in and around places where major plot points occur. You can get a few of them way in advance of the plot leading you there though and most of them are really obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Arm snap and leg break. :stare:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Truly the greatest advantage this game's massacres have over GTA's :getin:

These kinds of games should all have those moves and Saints Row's crotch shot mechanic, adds to the fun.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I have completed this game after about 10 hours. (Was messing around a bit, then got bored and jumped straight for story lines.)

Spoilered just in case.

While the action element was amazing (or 'overly violent') ending was very disappointing. I thought I'd be able to climb up the ladder of Triad or demolish it, but nope not happening. Also various DLCs made the game just way too easy from the beginning so I didn't have problem rushing through the game, starting the game with Cop/Triad lvl 5, about $300,000 and various clothes/vehicles. I blame Steam Christmas sale for that.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

poptart_fairy posted:

The students in the dojo must fuckin' hate it when this Wei rear end in a top hat comes in to learn something new :o:

Same guy: *snap*... *snap*... *snap*... etc

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Aesis posted:

So I have completed this game after about 10 hours. (Was messing around a bit, then got bored and jumped straight for story lines.)

Spoilered just in case.

While the action element was amazing (or 'overly violent') ending was very disappointing. I thought I'd be able to climb up the ladder of Triad or demolish it, but nope not happening. Also various DLCs made the game just way too easy from the beginning so I didn't have problem rushing through the game, starting the game with Cop/Triad lvl 5, about $300,000 and various clothes/vehicles. I blame Steam Christmas sale for that.

That's why I only bought content DLCs and not pay to win DLCs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm actually happy I got some DLC. The most blatant (and least fun) of "Pay To Win" DLC are the Tog Dog packs. But things like the SWAT pack and some stuff from the pre-order were great. That one triad outfit (with the gold cleaver) gave me an appropriate outfit for most of the game, on top of having missions that allowed me to grind for missing EXP in a mostly enjoyable way, because one thing I wanted to avoid entirely was replaying missions for higher score.

So I feel like they gave me some content :)

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I haven't used the SWAT clothes/vehicles until after the end of the game, but having enough money and a head start on level was a bit too easy mode. Had I known, I wouldn't have just bought all the DLC but then they were 66% off I think :allears:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Yeah I paid full price for them on 360 in late November so you can bet I read the descriptions before purchasing.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What should I do about Sleeping Dogs freezing right as I open it up? No logos, no movies, no nothing - just, start the program, it opens up a window, and it's black/blank and frozen. I have no idea what's going wrong and google is full of all kinds of different things.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
If you're using MSI afterburner and DX11 mode , that might be the problem. I have had lots of new DX11 games crash on my if I had MSI afterburner open on startup (I can alt-tab and start it afterwards just fine though, which is weird).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cuatal posted:

Has anyone had problems with the second the last mission and pressing shift when you're supposed to pull yourself up not working? It's totally not working for me now and it's pissing me off. I Googled and someone else had the same problem but nobody replied to them :/

This happened to me. I got through it after about 50 tries when I must have been tapping it at exactly the right speed. Then I got killed by some regular gang member and had to do it again. :suicide:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So am I missing something with the melee system or does Wei randomly, automatically, pull off the crazy three-hit counter combos by himself? I can't seem to get it to trigger reliably so I'm guessing my button mashes are effecting it.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

So am I missing something with the melee system or does Wei randomly, automatically, pull off the crazy three-hit counter combos by himself? I can't seem to get it to trigger reliably so I'm guessing my button mashes are effecting it.

If your face meter is full, it makes your counter moves more brutal.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Baron posted:

If your face meter is full, it makes your counter moves more brutal.

Aaaaaah, thought it was me missing a subtlety or two of the melee system. Guess I'm over-thinking it again. :v:

Also, ladies.

I find Wei incredibly attractive, both mentally and physically. Why am I so attached to my little double agent man. :ohdear:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Anyone else getting "The Social Hub is not available" issue? I tried Googling it and apparently the servers are just poo poo? It's been down since I started playing on Friday.

I'm on PC.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, didn't see anything in the OP: Is there some sort of ini file somewhere that allows tweaking the key bindings better than the in game options? Maybe I don't want to bind 4 things to one button, like I might want to have my interact button be something different than my counter button. Stupid lazy ports, grumble grumble.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Looks like a ~1 GB patch came out today. Any ideas what it does? I'm not aware of any new DLC about to be released. :v:

Edit: apparently this is for some kind of Chinese New Year/Year of the Snake DLC. :doh:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 14, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

poptart_fairy posted:

Also, ladies.

I find Wei incredibly attractive, both mentally and physically. Why am I so attached to my little double agent man. :ohdear:

I find that quite strange tbh because he's a proper mentalist

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They've got their charm, surely. How else does insanity stay in the gene pool?

Me, I'm all about Old Salty Crab. I dig a sense of humor and oddly specific knowledge of the occult.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011
It's kind of weird that a regular counter will always work regardless of the enemy but the Dim Mak counter is avoided by tougher foes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bland posted:

I find that quite strange tbh because he's a proper mentalist

I prefer to think of him as a challenge. :smug:

Incidentally I just spent 900k on suits, what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Sleeping Dogs is auto-updating on Steam with a 1 gig patch.

Baby, what are you doing? Give me some information, here!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Annnd this makes it the third time that Steam has downloaded this particular patch. It's a good thing that I'm not on a data cap, I guess!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

Annnd this makes it the third time that Steam has downloaded this particular patch. It's a good thing that I'm not on a data cap, I guess!
You've downloaded it three times since the patch was launched earlier today? Sounds like it's time to check your HDD for failure.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The students in the dojo must fuckin' hate it when this Wei rear end in a top hat comes in to learn something new :o:

And to top it off the rear end in a top hat sensei is shouting insults at them the entire time.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The instructors approach to teaching self defence always reminded me of this somewhat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w&t=2m6s

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

gibbed posted:

You've downloaded it three times since the patch was launched earlier today? Sounds like it's time to check your HDD for failure.

It's happening to a lot of people actually.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

^^^^ I really hope that's the case (a problem with Steam, that is). Losing nearly 700GBs of games to a HDD failure would be... unfortunate, to say the least. :stare:

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Cross-Section posted:

^^^^ I really hope that's the case (a problem with Steam, that is). Losing nearly 700GBs of games to a HDD failure would be... unfortunate, to say the least. :stare:

If you check out the Sleeping Dogs forum on Steam pretty much everyone in the new patch threads is having the same problem.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I really wish my actual car got awesome Ninja Tune and Warp radio stations. Driving around, jamming to Coldcut is the best.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love that this game introduced me to daptone and lead to tons of inspiration for me as a musician. This god drat game is wonderful.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I took Amanda on one date and that reward was great - all the locations of the health shrines revealed on my map? Thank you very much! Is there any good reason not to go collect them all right now? I also liked the nice touch of the report showing that they actually ran a background check on her. Smart idea!

I found a handgun in a lockbox on the top of the mountain. This was before I took the mission where they train you how to use them. I apparently lost it after turning in a statue to the Kung Fu Trainer. I don't suppose that lockbox respawns the gun, does it? It didn't seem to put it in my apartment as far as I can tell. Can I eventually unlock a handgun in my apartment (other than the DLC assault rifle, which is showing up there only when it feels like it)?

I took on the street racing case. I was doing pretty terribly in my preliminary race because I am not used to the controls (I normally use a different control scheme) and am having trouble drifting, but I passed all 5 other guys when they got bottled up in a narrow on-ramp near the end of the race.

I've got $250,000+ HK, is there anything to spend it on other than cars?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Unfortunately the only "apartment" handguns are the DLC ones and the lockbox's contents don't respawn -- if it was a basic 9mm Pistol though, you can grab one by defeating a cop after he's pulled out his pistol from Wei attacking him.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Some shrine (and other collectable) locations are plot-locked but other than two jade statues you should be able to get most of them.

Most missions and some events will cause you to lose any weapons you're carrying, which blows, and as far as I'm aware they don't respawn. Other than DLC you get a golden pistol in the post end game, but before that DLC is the most reliable way to arm up other than disarming someone or having the cop boot-key ability.

Spend your money on cars and also clothes to make Shen look even more ravishing or raise triad XP. There's enough Cop and Face XP in the game but triad is scarce enough even when you're going for it that it's worth the bonus.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I took Amanda on one date and that reward was great - all the locations of the health shrines revealed on my map? Thank you very much! Is there any good reason not to go collect them all right now? I also liked the nice touch of the report showing that they actually ran a background check on her. Smart idea!

I found a handgun in a lockbox on the top of the mountain. This was before I took the mission where they train you how to use them. I apparently lost it after turning in a statue to the Kung Fu Trainer. I don't suppose that lockbox respawns the gun, does it? It didn't seem to put it in my apartment as far as I can tell. Can I eventually unlock a handgun in my apartment (other than the DLC assault rifle, which is showing up there only when it feels like it)?

I took on the street racing case. I was doing pretty terribly in my preliminary race because I am not used to the controls (I normally use a different control scheme) and am having trouble drifting, but I passed all 5 other guys when they got bottled up in a narrow on-ramp near the end of the race.

I've got $250,000+ HK, is there anything to spend it on other than cars?

Jesus, you have a lot of questions.

You can get all the health shrines right away if you want to. It's not the worst way to take a slow tour of Hong Kong. Future dates will unlock other collectibles on your map.

I don't think the lockbox handguns respawn, and I never remembered getting any variety in the apartments. You can always jack up a cop for a 9mm if you really want a gun, but you'll usually be able to grab one if you need one. You probably know that you can't conceal longarms, but even handguns tend to disappear during missions. Think of guns as a temporary power-up rather than an essential tool.

You'll get better at street racing. The key is to take the lead quickly and then use rams aggressively to prevent anyone from overtaking you.

Clothes, cars and furniture.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

poptart_fairy posted:

Incidentally I just spent 900k on suits, what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Nothing at all. You're playing the game exactly as you should be: Getting Face and looking like HK$7752600.

Male Man posted:

I don't think the lockbox handguns respawn, and I never remembered getting any variety in the apartments. You can always jack up a cop for a 9mm if you really want a gun, but you'll usually be able to grab one if you need one. You probably know that you can't conceal longarms, but even handguns tend to disappear during missions. Think of guns as a temporary power-up rather than an essential tool.

Lockbox guns don't respawn, which makes them feel really pointless. You'll usually have no idea you're about to get a gun, and once you know where one spawns, you can't make any use of that information because they never show up again. You'd think spawning them in the world would be a no brainer, just to let you get something besides the post-game .50 and trunk shotgun. I'm not sure if the drug bust guns still spawn once you've broken up the thugs either.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Edit: misread.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for the tips. I like that dating three women at once is actually referenced with Tiffany's "cheating" subplot. When I was following her I was asking "Why is this a surprise, and why do you care, Wei?" The fact that Tiffany called Wei out on that was good. Part of me wonders if it's possible to only date one (although it looks like Amanda is a required quest, and I think you can't do Not-Ping until after a date with Tiffany, so I guess not). On the other hand, having three girls makes Wei seem more like a player who doesn't care too much, making it slightly less likely that they'll be used as leverage against him later.

I changed my controls to put the handbrake on Mouse 4, the same as jump, and mouse 5 is for free-aiming. That alone made it an order of magnitude easier to drive and/or use guns, and it makes the vault-aim thing easier too.

Sometimes when driving, the dragon part of the HUD lights up with a "1". I have no idea what it's for, and the manual doesn't say. EDIT: Oh right, the Heat meter. How angry the cops are.

I'm having a surprisingly hard time dealing with the big hefty brawlers. They're faster and trying to grapple them just backfires. I keep dying to them. Any tips for dealing with those guys? All the fancy martial arts I learn in the temple training thing are easy to perform there, but in actual combat it basically never works out, every time I try, they flash red with a counter-needed warning, and trying to finish just gets me interrupted and hurt.

I found an annoying bug where if you assign "Action Hijack" to space, on the missions where the helpful tip pops up to remind you of that, it stays up and blocks the screen, not going away until you do one.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm having a surprisingly hard time dealing with the big hefty brawlers. They're faster and trying to grapple them just backfires. I keep dying to them. Any tips for dealing with those guys? All the fancy martial arts I learn in the temple training thing are easy to perform there, but in actual combat it basically never works out, every time I try, they flash red with a counter-needed warning, and trying to finish just gets me interrupted and hurt.

They resist grapples but can't block. Just wail on them with your longest combo, that is to say, tap x a bunch. If you pick up a weapon throw it at them for an instant kill.

• Locked thread