Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Arkham Angel posted:

I also got a bottle of campari and tried to make negronis, but they were too bitter/herbal for my taste. Any other ideas of what to do with it?

Campari, eh? The Left Hand is one of my favorite drinks in existence.

Left Hand - 1.5oz bourbon, .75oz Campari, .75oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes mole bitters. Stir/Coupe/Cherry garnish

A Telling Tale - 2oz bourbon, .5oz Campari, .5oz grenadine, .25oz lemon juice, ~7 mint leaves. Shake/flute/top with bubbly.

Rosemary's Bambino - 1oz ea. Bourbon, Campari, sweet vermouth, & grapefruit Stir/double rocks/big cube/rosemary sprig garnish

Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/.25oz aged rum float, lemon peel garnish.

Compass Rose - 1.5oz cognac, .75oz Campari, .25oz maraschino liqueur, 1dash whiskey barrel aged bitters. Stir/coupe/lemon peel

Siesta - 2oz tequila, .5oz Campari, .5oz simple syrup, .5oz grapefruit juice, .5oz lime juice. Shake/coupe/grapefruit peel garnish.

La Dura Vita - 1.5oz gin, 1oz Campari, .5oz Averna, lemon twist garnish. Stir/Strain into iced rocks glass.

Easy Does It - 1oz gin, 1/2oz Aperol, 1/4oz Campari, 1oz grapefruit juice, 1/2oz simple syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Arkham Angel posted:

What? Ethyl alcohol isn't hydrophobic. Short-chained alcohols lose their hydrogens easily when in solution with water, hence they're hydrophilic. And now it is clear that I've taken way too much organic chemistry.

Yeah my bad, the effect is the same but I got the term wrong. Hydrophilic is right. I have trouble remembering the finer details from courses where they supply free alcohol.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
What cocktails are you guys making for NYE? French 75 is the obvious choice, of course, but other tasty champagne cocktail recommendations would be appreciated.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You should make some Prince of Wales cocktails if you have rye, maraschino, and fresh pineapple. There's also the Chicago cocktail, which is a brandy old fashioned dashed with Cointreau, rubbed with lemon, and topped with an ounce or 2 of champagne.

Me? I'm making a quadruple batch of Gowanus Club Gin Punch. It's gonna be a hell of a night.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Does anybody know what to do with Jaan Paan Liqueur?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

Me? I'm making a quadruple batch of Gowanus Club Gin Punch. It's gonna be a hell of a night.

Everyone should do this it was amazing.

Goddamn posted:

Does anybody know what to do with Jaan Paan Liqueur?

No, and that's a really weird liqueur. It seems like it's sort of herbal like Drambuie or Benedictine? Try subbing it into some recipes that use one of those and report back.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I mixed up the orange peel tincture for Jamie Boudreau's version of Amer Picon last night, and it already smells wonderful. Pretty sure that it still tastes like rocket fuel, but give it a month and we'll see what develops. http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/amer-picon/

Amer Picon is a bitter orange french apertif that has recently obtained almost unicorn status of unavailability, since for some reason no one will import it to the US. Even if by some stroke of luck you could get your French buddy to send you a bottle you're still poo poo out of luck because apparently they stopped making the good version in the 1970's. So unless you have a time machine, and a French friend...you get what I'm saying. I've had versions of the picon punch made with it's common American replacement, Torani Amer but I have no idea what the real stuff is even supposed to be like.

I'm making it as a birthday present for for my Dad who was raised in Bakersfield, the picon punch capital of the world. He helped run a ranch with my grandpa and spent a lot of time in the Basque hotel there bullshitting and eating with the Basque shepherds who drink picon punch like it's water. Since he was only in his twenties when they changed the formulation, I'm not even sure he's had a picon punch using the real stuff (or at least a close approximation of it).

Chuck Biscuits fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
So I finally broke down and did a couple infusions. Up till now they just never seemed worth doing, but I saw a recipe that called for tea-infused gin that I really wanted to do, so I made some. I also did some vanilla infused bourbon while I was at it because why not.

The 2 recipes I read that called for these things really didn't blow me away, but I did like how they both came out and wanted to find something to do with them that I liked. I'm really happy with what I did with the gin.

Earl-y To Bed
1 oz Earl Grey infused gin
1 oz cognac
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup

I have always been a huge fan of what cognac and tea do together, and it really works here. The cognac really turns up the tea flavor, and vice versa. The citrus and sweetener are up for interpretation. I tried St. Germain first, but it didn't really work. I also tried meyer lemon juice, but I thought that wasn't best either. I had the meyer lemons around because my wife candied a bunch of peels. She had some pretty amazing tasting lemon simple syrup left over when she was done, so I will try that next time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My mom brought me back a pump-action citrus juicer from her trip to India. The same poo poo is like $175 over here and she got it for like 20 bucks.

This is going to revolutionize my punchmaking.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are some good layered or floated cocktails, I made quite a few JFK Harris cocktails this holiday season and they were a big hit, getting people drunker than normal.

Recipe:
white rum, lemon juice, sugar and mint on the rocks with a float of red wine

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm a big fan of New York Sours, which are just a bourbon sour with a float of red wine. Looks amazing in the glass. I serve them up.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/aged rum float, lemon peel garnish.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kenning posted:

My mom brought me back a pump-action citrus juicer from her trip to India. The same poo poo is like $175 over here and she got it for like 20 bucks.

This is going to revolutionize my punchmaking.

What is a pump-action citrus juicer?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What should an Old Fashioned taste like? I tried to make one but it just tasted like Whiskey. Maybe I didn't use enough sugars/bitters.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

AgentF posted:

What should an Old Fashioned taste like? I tried to make one but it just tasted like Whiskey. Maybe I didn't use enough sugars/bitters.

Sweet aromatic whisk(e)y.

If you don't like whisk(e)y to begin with, you will not like an old fashioned.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

What is a pump-action citrus juicer?

Sort of like this, but less adorned. Basically lets you use the muscles in your arm and shoulder to juice the fruit, rather than the muscles in your hand and wrist. Also it absolutely demolishes the pulp, totally extracts all the juice.

It's great for high volumes.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

All I could think of was Sarah Connor at the end of T2, dispensing citrus.

But yeah, we've got one of those style at work and they're great

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kenning posted:

Sort of like this, but less adorned. Basically lets you use the muscles in your arm and shoulder to juice the fruit, rather than the muscles in your hand and wrist. Also it absolutely demolishes the pulp, totally extracts all the juice.

It's great for high volumes.

I sort of figured it might be that, but had no idea why you wouldn't say a countertop one or commercial one, or something like that. I have had one for a few years - frankly, I prefer it to the handheld ones even if I'm only juicing one lemon/lime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

nrr posted:

All I could think of was Sarah Connor at the end of T2, dispensing citrus.

But yeah, we've got one of those style at work and they're great
Wouldn't that be a lever-action juicer?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Wouldn't that be a lever-action juicer?

Nah, you're thinking of Arnie on the Harley.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

I sort of figured it might be that, but had no idea why you wouldn't say a countertop one or commercial one, or something like that. I have had one for a few years - frankly, I prefer it to the handheld ones even if I'm only juicing one lemon/lime.

Yeah I don't know why I didn't just say that either, frankly.

But yeah since it's citrus season I've been going to town on the $0.39/lb navel oranges. It's great.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Klauser posted:

Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/aged rum float, lemon peel garnish.
I love the taste, but I think I suck at floating things, hardly an eye popper. What's the trick?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Pour gently over the back of a spoon. It works best with a vented pour spout, rather than straight from the bottle.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

I love the taste, but I think I suck at floating things, hardly an eye popper. What's the trick?

I made "Crimson Sunsets" the other day, and they were good. It's even easier to make a pretty layered drink with grenadine because it just sinks to the bottom. The port is supposed to float on top, but mine was pretty much the same color as the gin and lemon, so it didn't add to the layering effect. I guess you could put some purple food coloring in it or something.

It's just:
a couple shots of gin,
shaken together with a couple dashes of lemon juice and ice,
and strained into a cocktail glass.

Then you:
put a squirt of grenadine in the middle; it drops to the bottom
and then you float a little port wine on top.
^ The back of a spoon works. There is also a think called a *brolly (sic) that I've used to make Black and Tans, but mine only fits on a pint glass.

* Edit: just googled it for spelling. Apparently, the word "brolly" is British slang for an umbrella. Searching "Brolly spoon black tan" might find you one.

another edit: I just remembered seeing bartenders use a spoon that was bent backwards to float drinks. Google "Uri Geller".

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 16, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've got a new, seasonal punch that I'm making for my buddy's birthday on Saturday. I did a test-run last week when a friend of mine came up to visit, and I think it went rather well. I cooked it up when I saw BevMo was doing one of their wine sales. For a while I've been wanting to devise a Punch Royal that used a dry red wine rather than the fortified wines one usually sees. I've also been wanting to try out a blood orange punch while the season is on. I realized that combining the two would produce a rich, delicious brew that would also be a lovely dark garnet, rather than the usual yellowish brown.

In order to make sure the punch didn't get too sweet, I also used some sour orange juice (mostly Seville, but a bit of Bergamot as well) to balance the blood. I call it Punch B (brandy, Bordeaux, blood orange, bitter orange, Bergamot orange).

Punch B

2 bottles VS cognac
1 bottle Bordeaux (or other dry red)
2 cups turbinado/demerara
20 oz. mixed orange juice (blood orange and sour orange – Seville/Bergamot – or add some lemon)
1.5 qt water or so
nutmeg

Punch B is constructed in similar manner to Admiral Russel's punch, though here I use the oleo-saccharum. Prepare one with the peels of your bitter/blood/Bergamot oranges and let it sit for as long as you can. In the mean time juice/strain your oranges and combine them to your tastes. I wound up at about half and half blood orange and sour orange juice, though a bit tarter might not have been bad. I wanted to make sure I maintained the lovely red color as well. Refrigerate this. When the oleo-saccharum has gotten fragrant and lovely dissolve the sugar with 1 pt of your water, boiling, and strain out the peels. If you have time, refrigerate this syrup so that the punch gets cold more quickly. When it's time for service, pour your cognac (from the freezer) and wine (from the fridge) into your bowl, along with your syrup and juices. I'd recommend under-pouring them both at first, so you can adjust the punch if necessary. Add in 3/4 of the remaining water (so about 3 cups), cold, give it a stir and taste. Make any adjustments for more tart or more sweet or more dilution, then dust with the nutmeg and serve. It will be delicious.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Where do you get your hands on bergamot oranges?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I live in the Bay Area, and down in Berkeley they have Berkeley Bowl, which is one of the most delightful grocery stores I've ever visited. Their produce section is glorious, and the seasonal fruits are delectable.

Bergamots are crazy expensive though.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

I live in the Bay Area, and down in Berkeley they have Berkeley Bowl, which is one of the most delightful grocery stores I've ever visited. Their produce section is glorious, and the seasonal fruits are delectable.

Bergamots are crazy expensive though.

:whatup: neighbor.

I like that the Radiolab episode on "Choice" started off with the author of The Paradox of Choice standing in their produce section.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Marmot you should come by for a punch some time. I try to do one every few weeks if I'm in the funds.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was looking through this thread and couldn't find a mention of it, but does anyone else here make margaritas with key limes? I find that the bitterness and acidity really give them a nice kick which goes amazingly well with a vanilla-heavy tequila. Also nearly everywhere you go in this city if you order a Margarita you get a frozen sugary drink so it is nice to have something on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I've got one here made with Toro De Lidia Reposado and wow is it wonderful. The tequila was suggested to me by the people at Specs (in Texas) and I must say they really know their poo poo. It is just a shame that key limes are such a pain in the rear end to juice, but that helps limit me to one to just savor.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
That reminds me, I've been curious about the idea of using muddled Kaffir lime leaves in a drink, I think it'd be a really cool flavor. Any ideas?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I don't think you really need to muddle them. I used to give them a rip or two and then throw them in the shaker and it'd release decent amount of flavour.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Seems like lemons are in season now because I got about 3 oz. out of a normal sized one from the bodega. I only have cointreau and plymouth gin right now so I made white ladies for me and mine. It was really, really good.

2 oz Gin
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz lemon juice

Is there any other good Cointreau drinks out there I'm not thinking of besides a Cosmo? I also bought some 100% pomegranate juice from concentrate from Whole Foods (sugar free). Only about $7, but I'm worried about using it to make grenadine because it's from concentrate. I have plenty of it so I can experiment with hot and cold methods all I want. We'll see what works best.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Booties posted:

Is there any other good Cointreau drinks out there I'm not thinking of besides a Cosmo?

Margarita? Sidecar?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Halloween Jack posted:

Margarita? Sidecar?

Still a little cold for me to have a margarita, but I'll definitely have a sidecar soon. Totally forgot about them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In the winter, I like to drink Heering neat--if you have it, I find it mixes well with Cointreau, and maybe a little lemon or lime and a dash of bitters, if you're into that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Booties posted:

Is there any other good Cointreau drinks out there I'm not thinking of besides a Cosmo? I also bought some 100% pomegranate juice from concentrate from Whole Foods (sugar free). Only about $7, but I'm worried about using it to make grenadine because it's from concentrate. I have plenty of it so I can experiment with hot and cold methods all I want. We'll see what works best.

Corpse Reviver #2 springs to mind.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Booties posted:

Is there any other good Cointreau drinks out there I'm not thinking of besides a Cosmo?

Creeping Death - .75oz each gin, orange liqueur, Cynar, lemon juice. Shake/absinthe rinsed coupe.

Derby - 1oz bourbon, .75oz lime juice, .5oz orange liqueur, .5oz sweet vermouth. Shake/coupe/lime wedge.

El Presidente - 1.5oz rum, 1.5oz dry vermouth, .5oz orange liqueur, .25oz grenadine. Stir/coupe/orange peel.

Seelbach 1oz bourbon .5oz orange liqueur 7 dashes Angostura 7 dashes Peychaud's Stir/flute/top w bubbly/lemn peel grnish

Doff Your Hat - 1oz Genever .75oz sweet vermouth .75oz Cynar .5oz Cointreau 1ds orange bitters. Stir/rocks/orange peel

East Village Athletic Club cocktail - 1.5oz blanco tequila, .75oz lemon, .5oz Yellow Chartresue, .5oz Cointreau. Coupe

Mount 'N Rita - 1.5oz moonshine, 1oz Cointreau, 1oz lime juice, .25oz simple syrup. Stir/strain.

Embassy 3/4 oz brandy 3/4 oz Cointreau 3/4 oz rum 1/2 oz lime juice Dash Angostura bitters Lime wedge garnish

Pegu Club 1 1/2 oz gin 1/2 oz Cointreau 3/4 oz lime juice 2 dashes Angostura bitters

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Is there a way to make a thin layer of ice over a cocktail? I want to make a drink called "Death or Exile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You probably already know this, but if you shake it really really cold, the top frosts over.