Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

GotGoose posted:

What's the best place to stay for a Panama City Beach spring break trip? Anyone have relevant experiences?

Ooof, my last spring break there was a decade ago and the main strip gets so packed it almost doesn't matter where you end up because driving anywhere will be a slog. Do you know what you want to do? Beach, clubs, jet skis, partying, etc?

I think I heard it doesn't get as packed any more, I've only been there when MTV went there every spring break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotGoose
Jun 6, 2011
Our main consideration is being close to the hub of where most events are happening, which is Club LaVela. What's it like getting around the main strip? Taxis, etc?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
When looking for a new dentist, is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for? I've never had to find one for myself before.

If it's more complicated than can be answered in one or two posts, I'll ask Goon Doc.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Raimundus posted:

When looking for a new dentist, is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for? I've never had to find one for myself before.

If it's more complicated than can be answered in one or two posts, I'll ask Goon Doc.

Are you just looking for a basic dentist for checkups, etc? If so, ask your friends for recommendations. I'd think most dentists should be competent at checkups/cleanings, so your experience as a customer is probably the next most important thing.
Where I live now, I found my dentist by people saying "oh the staff there is super friendly, and in my non-professional opinion they did a great job."

Another consideration that might be harder to gauge: are they pushy with recommending other procedures? My hometown dentist used to recommend everyone get their wisdom teeth out; I sorta disagree with that sort of a blanket recommendation for any non-critical surgery.
My new dentist looked at them and said "yeah, those things are coming in fine; we'll keep an eye on that situation, but for now I think you can keep them."
So I don't know how exactly you'd gauge that before going, but it's a thing to think about I guess? Best I got.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Raimundus posted:

If you have a dental plan, try and find a dentist that accepts your provider. Dentists are all board certified and should provide you with the same level of care. Go try one in town and if you don't like it try someone new in six months.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What's the name for this kind of markup?

*bold*
_underline_
/italic/
-strike-

Ironically enough, it's often referred to as "Markdown." Technically, it's a lightweight markup language and there are several different formats.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Raimundus posted:

When I went to my current dentist, I got a list of approved providers through my insurance. I went online after that reviewed Yelp, Google reviews, etc to find a place that had good reviews. Worked really well.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Raimundus posted:

Every great dentist I've ever found was retired military. I don't know if that's a coincidence or if military dentists just get really good at their jobs.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Raimundus posted:

If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch the free app "ZocDoc" let's you search for dentists (or doctors) by location, specialty, insurance accepted, next available appointment, and reviews. Sort of like an Angie's list for medical providers. It's pretty awesome.

edit: it's also free on the web: http://www.zocdoc.com/

randyest fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 15, 2013

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is it possible to get a woman double pregnant? Like she's all pregnant with child and stuff and then you get her pregnant again?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crankit posted:

Is it possible to get a woman double pregnant? Like she's all pregnant with child and stuff and then you get her pregnant again?

Yes, in fact women are just like cats in that respect. In fact that reminds me of my Catholic Grandmother managed to stay pregnant for 7 years straight. She said she felt like a human Pez dispenser, except instead of disgusting chalky candy she would shoot out nasty poo poo machines. God bless you Gramma Bessy, you're the Lord's Pez dispenser now!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crankit posted:

Is she human?
No.

Relatedly, I'd love to know if there's a word for the phenomenon of having multiple fathers in one litter, like some animals do.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Crankit posted:

No but if she's carrying a girl you can get the baby pregnant.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Crankit posted:

Yes, my sister's dizygotic twins were conceived a week apart.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

alnilam posted:

Relatedly, I'd love to know if there's a word for the phenomenon of having multiple fathers in one litter, like some animals do.

There is, it's superfecundation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfecundation

It's common in cats and dogs, unusual but possible in humans.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Has there ever been a case where two sperms from two guys fertilized the same egg?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I don't see how that would be possible/make sense.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Torka posted:

I don't see how that would be possible/make sense.

Maybe I misunderstood the thing I saw about Dizygotic twins and polar body fertilization. Is it not possible for two sperm to fertilize the same egg?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Maybe I misunderstood the thing I saw about Dizygotic twins and polar body fertilization. Is it not possible for two sperm to fertilize the same egg?

Nature has a way of shutting that down.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Crankit posted:

Maybe you're thinking of chimeras?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good glue for use on (glazed) ceramics?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is this something that broke apart or are you trying to glue two glazed surfaces together?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

randyest posted:

edit: it's also free on the web: http://www.zocdoc.com/

Yes! That got me past the insurance hurdle. Now I just have to find a place that's close enough, because no dentist in New Hampshire takes our plan.

Thanks, dude!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ron Don Volante posted:

This site, while not very up to date, has some pointers but you can't specify for glazed ceramics.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Is there anywhere reputable to buy replacement LCD screens for small TVs online?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Is there anywhere reputable to buy replacement LCD screens for small TVs online?
It would cost more to replace the screen than to buy a new one.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Is this something that broke apart or are you trying to glue two glazed surfaces together?

Well there's some stuff that broke apart and another part that I want to attach separately (unglazed ceramic on glazed ceramic).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ron Don Volante posted:

another part that I want to attach separately (unglazed ceramic on glazed ceramic).

Your best bet in that case might be to sand away the glaze on the glazed part so that the glue can sink into the ceramic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

What kind of TVs are you looking to fix exactly?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Speaking of televisions, is there a more appropriate place on the forum to ask a "what TV do I buy" question? If not-- looking for... a television with a pair of HDMI inputs, one to be used for video playing directly from my video card / computer, the other just to have. Beyond that, I have no other requirements nor know nothing about these mystical beasts as far as what I should be looking for that would suit my needs.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a Sharp Aquos something or the other, I think it's 42"?

It has... seven (six? eight?) HDMI ports. I've never had a problem with it. Nice picture, good sound.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Costco generally has good deals on TVs that you can be reasonably sure aren't pieces of poo poo if you don't mind just walking into a Costco with little to no research. Now or soon would be a good time to buy because of Super Bowl sales. And the sale is specifically for big screen TVs.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I found some pear jam that's been in the fridge for who knows how long. Maybe 2 years? It looks fine. How do I know if it's good?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Smell it. If it doesn't smell bad, taste it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I saw a GIF of a crab ripping its own claw off with the text saying "Like I give a f***". http://fatpita.net/images/image%20(12064).gif?6962

What would cause a crab to do this?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If the claw is injured or otherwise disabled, they'll tear it off and grow a new one.

Edit: Also, if it's stuck somewhere, they'll just tear it off like some lizards do tails.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Are there good free/low-cost forums hosts out there?

And should I take this question to SH/SC?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

SlayVus posted:

So I saw a GIF of a crab ripping its own claw off with the text saying "Like I give a f***". http://fatpita.net/images/image%20(12064).gif?6962

What would cause a crab to do this?

CPCP (Crustacean PCP).

That's a Stone Crab. They grow limbs back quite reliably, although it might take a few molting cycles. In fact, recreational crabbing in some places (Florida) involves ripping off a claw and throwing the crab back. You're limited by the size of your bag of claws, not how many crabs you catch. You can take both claws if you want, and the crab will probably survive, but that's just being a mean fisherman who is asking for karma to gently caress them.

Here's an informational video about how to rip the arms off of things and eat them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTgXTS8gLjU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the posted:

I found some pear jam that's been in the fridge for who knows how long. Maybe 2 years? It looks fine. How do I know if it's good?

If there's no visible mould it's probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Noni posted:

CPCP (Crustacean PCP).

That's a Stone Crab. They grow limbs back quite reliably

I don't follow PETA or anything, but is this something that they are actively opposed of? Or are they mostly interested in pets/animals and farm animals?