Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Box wine posted:

Oh hey look what we finally get.

It's a replay streamed to you or whatever. Every time you watch it starts from the beginning but you can fast forward to the most current time.

Hey neat, I was hoping this migration would bring some dungeonbowl features over. Now the question is whether it works or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
It's for LE too. CE is just LE with 3 extra teams.

It works, as I hopped into a game and fast forwarded till turn 10 or so. Where it then became obvious I wasn't fast forwarding anymore and everyone's animations were just in hyper mode.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
How are you guys logging in? I'm still getting the 'server under maintenance' message.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Opt in to the beta with password cyanide. Patch is suppose to drop tomorrow though.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
But now what will all the exclusive fumbblrs have to complain about in cyanide now?

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Washout posted:

But now what will all the exclusive fumbblrs have to complain about in cyanide now?

Starplayers, teamrosters, interface, ease of use and so on. :smug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The general shoddiness and lack of production values? I've been thinking a lot about how a Blood Bowl game would be in the right hands. A company that would actually put really good production values in with great looking models and animation. Something that would actually take money and effort to produce.

Instead, we have Cyanide. :negative:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
At least it's cheap to purchase, I guess.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde
This was posted yesterday.

The Basics of Blood Bowl by TotalBiscuit

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

If Cyanide's spectator mode doesn't let you play jeering .wavs at the players it's still only half a game :colbert:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

No Grid. Action Camera. Ow my head hurts

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

GNU Order posted:

Thanks for saving me from wasting time pressing play!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

cKnoor posted:

Starplayers, teamrosters, interface, ease of use and so on. :smug:

Don't forget the game mechanic breaking bugs!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Not to harp on announcers, but I was just playing the campaign for the first time, and the second scenario has you playing as the Low Down Rats. Can you guess which team they reminded Bob and Jim of? I'll give you a hint: they're pretty deep in the rankings.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

GNU Order posted:

Not trying to be a douche here but, is that really a problem? Serious question.

If his goal was to introduce new people to the franchise* , demonstrating in a fairly simple manner that the game is not at all that complicated to learn, i say he did a good job.

* People interested in the premise, but scared of the complexity/ rule set.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I feel like Total Biscuit actually did a pretty good job with that video. It wasn't for people who already play and know Blood Bowl, but as a brief introduction of the game for complete newcomers. He generally did a good job of distilling the basics of the game down to an easy to understand manner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I want to buy chaos edition through steam do I have to pay full price even if I already own legendary? I thought it was only supposed to be :10bux: if I already own LE.

Basically I want to buy it for $5 next time it's half off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

If I want to buy chaos edition through steam do I have to pay full price even if I already own legendary? I thought it was only supposed to be :10bux: if I already own LE.

It's $10 if you already own Legendary, yes. It should show that on the store page for Chaos Edition.

However, sale prices don't apply to that discount. On the contrary, you get the same price as everyone else when it goes on sale. Because Cyanide are geniuses, the Chaos Edition was actually more expensive for me throughout the entire Steam Winter Sale than when it's not on sale at all.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure you can get it for :10bux:, but during sales, the LE-owner discount is temporarily disabled.

Could someone that paid more attention during the holidays confirm this?

Edit: Beaten

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Not trying to be a douche here but, is that really a problem? Serious question.

Nah I was just kidding. It did a fine job showing off the basics of the game, or at least the parts that I stuck around to watch. I mean i know how to play the game so I'm not gonna bother watching a whole game for a tutorial

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, I feel like Total Biscuit actually did a pretty good job with that video. It wasn't for people who already play and know Blood Bowl, but as a brief introduction of the game for complete newcomers. He generally did a good job of distilling the basics of the game down to an easy to understand manner.

I love the fact that he made a video as it will probably boost Cyanide's Blood Bowl quite a bit. I just wish the basics were covered better and general use of play. He does a bad job of explaining a lot of things. Then again that's probably only noticeable for someone who already knows the game, and that's not really who the video is for.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I was intriged by the "Blitz" rule set, pitty he din't explain it. :eng99:

From what he said, would be correct to assume the mode has a lot of customisable features?

Too many differences on gameplay department from the Classic rule set?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I was intriged by the "Blitz" rule set, pitty he din't explain it. :eng99:

From what he said, would be correct to assume the mode has a lot of customisable features?

Too many differences on gameplay department from the Classic rule set?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0xHqTshgA

This is a pretty good overview on blitz mode and why you shouldn't play it or anything else Cyanide has free reign to design.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

uPen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0xHqTshgA

This is a pretty good overview on blitz mode and why you shouldn't play it or anything else Cyanide has free reign to design.

Blitz mode is loving bad, but yeah that video I feel is a pretty good representation of the mode.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Blitz mode is separate from realtime mode and just includes all of Cyanide's incidental gameplay additions, with realtime being an option that can be disabled. I actually really like some of the new Cyanide inducements, although that's probably because most of the GW inducements are fairly lame and not worth much.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Yo guys, a friend of mine consistently runs into a glitch where during setup it tells him "Not Enough Players On The Field," and he isn't allowed to place more. This isn't him just not understanding the (terrible) ui: his other guys appear on the right as though they were available, but the game will not allow him to set them down.

A little googlin' seems to bring up the fact that this is related to custom formations: apparently, when a formation attempts to put a SPECIFIC PLAYER in their spot, but that player is unavailable (due to being dead or injured or KOed etc.), it won't place them on the field, and they won't count towards the team total for setup. However, it ALSO won't let you place anything else in their stead. Unfortunately, the only helpful advice I can find otherwise is "don't use custom formations," which kind of leaves you screwed if you're already being hit by the bug.

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate: he swears that he's never used custom formations, but it does sound like an accurate description of the problem. So, the question is: is there a way to fix it? Some way to clear out a formations file, or something? The difficulty is that this team is involved in a league so they can't just start up a game whenever they want, and also that they're online, which means that they're stored on Cyanide's servers. But if there's a fix that he can do during his next game, it would be much appreciated.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Blitz mode is loving bad, but yeah that video I feel is a pretty good representation of the mode.

Real Time mode looks absolutely amazing :allears:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, when TB was talking about liking some Blitz Mode stuff, he wasn't talking about Real-Time mode, which he admitted is absolutely awful.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alright, I've gotten past the "every team I make dies" stage and now I'm at the "I can't reliably stop the other team from scoring" stage. If I can consistently play to a draw that'll be a huge improvement. Any advice?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My defense is shoddy as all hell, so I can't really offer you anything but this most basic advice: The key to a good defense is to make the opponent roll as much dice as possible, so practice your tackle zone eye. If you can't block the ball carrier, layer tackle zones on him. If he's caged, put players in front of it so that it can't advance without rolling dice. If he's playing a passing game, mark the receivers and harass the ball carrier to pressure him into rolling dice.

Once you have that down, start making backup plans. My defense usually fails when a surgical blitz punches a hole in my defense and a whole cage's worth of players swarms through. It's really hard to think two turns ahead like this, so start of by leaving a couple of dudes hanging back, ready to catch anyone who gets through your wall.

Or you can just play like I do. Play elves, roll ALL the dice and hope you can score enough in the first half that the opponent can't possibly make a comeback after he's punched all your dudes in the nuts.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

Alright, I've gotten past the "every team I make dies" stage and now I'm at the "I can't reliably stop the other team from scoring" stage. If I can consistently play to a draw that'll be a huge improvement. Any advice?

Well I played a game against you yesterday so heres some tips: Don't foul halflings with your nurgle warriors unless you're really desperate. Nurgle warriors are a lot more useful than a halfling so risking having the warrior sent off is kind of not very cost efficient. Those terrible rotters on the nurgle team are on the other hand very ideal for fouling. They cost almost nothing and their life expectancy is almost null.
Against some teams its impossible to prevent them from scoring. You need to usually focus on killing his players, stalling or letting them score early so you have a chance to score too. Learning some basic starting positions helps in preventing some teams from scoring too. Nurgle team is a really slow team to level early on and their scoring capability is low so you shouldn't be surprised in losing a lot when they are all unleveled.
With a nurgle team and other slower teams like dwarfs caging is pretty necessary to prevent your opponent from blitzing your ball carrier. Also in our match you had a nurgle warrior carry the ball for 4 turns at least and never tried to have him go toward the opposing side until it was way too late.
Also when you know your opponent is going to do some bullshit move and probably succeed, sometimes its best to just force him to make as many rolls as possible. If you get lucky he might fail one of those rolls!

Iretep fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 17, 2013

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
For defense I used to try and make sure I had 1 or 2 guys hang deep in case of a breakthrough. It can make it harder as you have less people up on the cage defending but, if your opponent is caging he generally has to use some players behind the ballholder to stop you sneaking people round the back of his cage.

If all your guys are right up near the opponents cage it makes it eaiser for him to get next to your guys after he breaks through. This means in your turn you have to make dodge rolls to catch the breakout or selectively block to free up players to chase the ballholder. It's just as important to make the opponent make a lot of rolls as it is to try and avoid having to make rolls yourself. If he makes you make too many dodge rolls and 1 dice blocks, you are going to fail eventually and then he scores.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 17, 2013

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mejwell posted:

Yo guys, a friend of mine consistently runs into a glitch where during setup it tells him "Not Enough Players On The Field," and he isn't allowed to place more. This isn't him just not understanding the (terrible) ui: his other guys appear on the right as though they were available, but the game will not allow him to set them down.

A little googlin' seems to bring up the fact that this is related to custom formations: apparently, when a formation attempts to put a SPECIFIC PLAYER in their spot, but that player is unavailable (due to being dead or injured or KOed etc.), it won't place them on the field, and they won't count towards the team total for setup. However, it ALSO won't let you place anything else in their stead. Unfortunately, the only helpful advice I can find otherwise is "don't use custom formations," which kind of leaves you screwed if you're already being hit by the bug.

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate: he swears that he's never used custom formations, but it does sound like an accurate description of the problem. So, the question is: is there a way to fix it? Some way to clear out a formations file, or something? The difficulty is that this team is involved in a league so they can't just start up a game whenever they want, and also that they're online, which means that they're stored on Cyanide's servers. But if there's a fix that he can do during his next game, it would be much appreciated.

Custom formations bug:

This happens when you have a custom formation and then one of your players is injured, KO'ed, or fired from the roster. It will then leave a hole that can't be filled in the saved formation and sometimes you can't even overwrite the formation with a new custom formation or if you name a new custom formation with the same name it just adds another name to the list making things more confusing. So don't use custom formations EVER.

Not enough players bug:

This can be caused by custom formations, on the other hand if you have one of your own players highlighted during your opponents setup then that highlighted player will vanish. So don't EVER highlight your own players during your opponents setup! Click on one of his and then don't do anything else until he is done!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

Don't play teams with no skills or very few skills as your first team. The best starting teams are:

Orcs
Dark Elves
Humans

If you can't stand those teams then:

Skaven
Undead
Necromatic
Other elves (Elves, High, Wood)
Other Humans (Norse, Amazons)
Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves

But these other teams are still much more difficult than the first three, and require some specialized tactics.

The primary way to stop the other team from scoring is to make them roll more dice than you. So the only way you can do that is to really learn the rules and dice modifiers and play more games. Also try to play other newbies, this can be hard because us veteran players are in IRC a lot more frequently but that's the way it goes. You could also make a team in naggaroth and play pubbies for a while as well. But read the rules again with a fresh eye and then play more games...

If you would like look for me in IRC and I'll skype a few games in a row with you and give advice the whole time.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 17, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I would stick Lizards in the "good beginner teams" section. Two types of players not counting the big guy makes it simple to learn the dodging game with skinks and the smashing game with sauruses.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
So, is the honest and sportsman way of playing the game entirelly curbed down, or i'm missing something?

Tried both Dark elves and Human, teams that appears to have a nice balance between fair-play (passing, trowing..) and some underhanded methods, but i'm always crushed merciless whenever i'm up against a high STR team. :sigh:

e: When i say crushed, i mean literaly. At 8/16 i'm almost with 2 dead, and a bench full of cripples.

Personal_Nirvana fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2013

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Both humans and dark elves get stomped against proper bashy teams. Dark elves can mitigate this somewhat by acting more like elves instead.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So, is the honest and sportsman way of playing the game entirelly curbed down, or i'm missing something?

Tried both Dark elves and Human, teams that appears to have a nice balance between fair-play (passing, trowing..) and some underhanded methods, but i'm always crushed merciless whenever i'm up against a high STR team. :sigh:

If your goal is to win without having to hurt the opposing team's players, you basically need to go full elf. Avoid getting in punching matches with tougher teams, do not leave players next to enemy players unless absolutely necessary, dodge constantly, use your one blitz per turn to make surgical strikes to create openings you can exploit with your superior speed.

Humans are a moderately weak team in general. As a starting team they are actually quite good but other teams improve much more quickly and will leave humans behind after they've got some games under their belt.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Welp, guess balance is out of the equation then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

e: When i say crushed, i mean literaly. At 8/16 i'm almost with 2 dead, and a bench full of cripples.

If you try to go toe to toe with smashy teams with dark elves you will lose a lot. You have to be fairly strategic with your positioning. Don't leave players next to your opponents guys for him to smash you on his next turn.

With Dark elves, unless you can get a decent block in you should be dodging away and setting up so he still has to come through you. If the only way he can hit you is with a blitz, then he can't hurt you so readily.

• Locked thread