Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Looks like the sprites from the GBA port of Final Fantasy I. Could be the game re-done with the Active Time Battle system, possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah Bro posted:

Looks like the sprites from the GBA port of Final Fantasy I. Could be the game re-done with the Active Time Battle system, possibly.

Man if there's one thing I hope it isn't, it's another port/version/take on FF1-4. Some of those games are good and some of them are bad, but they've all been remade and ported to death.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

I'd be sort of shocked if they announce an FF6 remake/sequel via a website announcement and not a trade show or something with more than 3 days' warning. Seems like that's one of the most beloved of the series with 4 and 7, so they would call as much attention to such an effort as they could. My money would be on a port or something. Which would be sort of unexciting, even with new features like GBA had.

That said, won't complain if they make a FF6-2 or something. They can't un-make the fun of the original, so why not give players a shot at revisiting the world in a new way?

I think I read once that FF6 isn't nearly as highly regarded in Japan as it is in the west, FF4 is the top dog over there. Hence why FF4 has received sequels, multiple remakes and ports to everything, while FF6 has only had a GBA enhanced-port.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Man if there's one thing I hope it isn't, it's another port/version/take on FF1-4. Some of those games are good and some of them are bad, but they've all been remade and ported to death.

I wouldn't mind another remake of FF3 if it actually modernized it a bit. :smith:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The new 4 dudes all look to me like FF5 classes.

vv Bottom one's Mystic Knight (Sorcerer in PSX release?) I think

fronz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 15, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Francois Kofko posted:

The new 4 dudes all look to me like FF5 classes.

I agree. Black Mage, Chemist, and maybe Monk and Dancer? Not sure.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I think I read once that FF6 isn't nearly as highly regarded in Japan as it is in the west, FF4 is the top dog over there. Hence why FF4 has received sequels, multiple remakes and ports to everything, while FF6 has only had a GBA enhanced-port.

In 2006 Famitsu readers voted as the best games of all time:

1. FF X
2. FF VII
6. FF IV
8. FF III
15. FF V
22. FF VIII
24. FF IX
25. FF VI
32. FF X-2
60. FF II
63. FF
84. FF Tactics

Yes, you read that right. Their readership thinks all other FF games are better than Tactics, that 3 is better than 5, 8, 9, and 6, and that 6 is worse than all but the worst.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really think FFT doesn't stand out as well when you had all of the Ogre games to play. It'd be a helluva lot less distinctive. (Although worse than every one is a bit much.)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

True, tactical RPGs were much, MUCH more common in Japan than the West until FFT made them kosher over here. Just on the SNES, you had Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Bahamut Lagoon, Energy Breaker, FEDA, three Fire Emblem games, Front Mission, Der Langrisser, Monstania, two Majin Tensei games, Little Master, Dragon Knight 4, Dragon's Earth, and two Farland Saga games. In the US, you had Ogre Battle.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FFT is pretty derivative of the original Tactics Ogre in a lot of ways, but it's also a much better job system than FF3's and the story is presumably quite good in the original Japanese (given that I was impressed with it in English, which isn't even English so much as pidgin gibberish in the PSX version).

Then again, the apparently poor public response to Vagrant Story (despite it getting a 40/40 in Famitsu) and the FF12 development fiasco makes me think Japanese people just don't appreciate Yasumi Matsuno to begin with. It's okay dude, just move to the States. :(

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

Well Xenosaga more or less used Xenogears' formula of having a bunch of varied antagonists to progress the plot and develop the characters while at the core you had Wilhelm, the manipulative mastermind behind everything. He's kind of Deus and Krelian wrapped into one which works because Deus and Krelain more or less ended up being the Big Bads of Xenogears.

Both games had great antagonists and a premise that was cool as gently caress. They just kind of fell apart, as the famous story goes, as they put too much time and focus on the story and less of gameplay. Least that whole affair has a happy ending in Xenoblade, which comes forth with an imaginative premise that's mostly new but carries enough shades of the older ones to satisfy those who played them. Ultimate bad guy seemed a bit stale thanks to being basically Krelian-Deus 3.0, but a couple of the supporting antagonists made up for that. Especially hysterical screaming giant Cockney murderbot Metal Face, who as far as I'm concerned takes his place right up there with Id, Kefka, Luca Blight, Albedo, and every other bad guy you as the player were legitimately delighted to see show up, just to see what the hell they would say or do next.

Anyway. I was about halfway through Final Fantasy XIII-2 when Xenoblade came along, and after putting the other one in I couldn't even look back, because the newer RPG actually made me give a gently caress about what was going on, even though I didn't like the gameplay as much, it was a small sacrifice compared to the payoff in story and setting.

It's not to say I have no faith at all that the FF people can deliver a satisfying narrative and awesome characters again, but, if this makes sense, it genuinely seems like they are the ones who don't. No risks, just slap Lightning on it because she's recognizable, reuse the gameplay that worked, and plot and setting...uhh....what the gently caress, who cares, don't even use the one we spent so much time establishing, throw some poo poo together and give it some latin chanting now and then to make it seem like it must be important. Not like coherent storytelling matters in the genre that sells itself of story.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kyrosiris posted:

I wouldn't mind another remake of FF3 if it actually modernized it a bit. :smith:

I'd be content with a FF3 remake that managed to make the game not completely awful. I'm not sure if current Square can manage it, but I'd like to see that anyway.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mazed posted:

All this talk about Chrono Trigger, but then the Chrono Cross crap and then reading that explanation of Final Fantasy XIII-2's plot (for which I feel less and less bad each day for never finishing) makes me really wish we could have back the days where our JRPGs could be nice ensemble affairs about kicking the rear end of something or someone huge and horrible bent on complete global annihilation for it's own pleasure/satiation.

A Lavos. A Kefka. Hell, even a Deus or a Jenova. I miss these bad guys. :smith:

There's actually some really interesting ideas in XIII and XIII-2's mythology and worldcraft that doesn't come across as well in-game as it should.

But I don't know if holding up either Deus or Jenova as an example of a "good villain" is the best idea.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

But I don't know if holding up either Deus or Jenova as an example of a "good villain" is the best idea.
Creepy villain, sure, but they were basically the same thing as Lavos except with "we now have a couple hundred MB of space for text to work with" explanations.

As far as that other thing goes, at this point, I'd guess "1-6 compilation," which I'd be happy with on the 3DS or whatever, but I'll regard it with cautious pessimism and really hope it isn't some c. 1998 crossover fanfiction.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm guessing a Final Fantasy 1-6 crossover by The After Years guys.

As awesome as that sounds, I have faith in Square-Enix to find a way to gently caress it up. "Social mobile game" seems the likeliest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well considering how badly Square hosed up things like "Two powerful beings bring all the FF characters to fight for control of the universe" and "Fighter jets from the future battle dinosaurs in a flying fortress," both of which are awesome ideas by themselves, yeah, they'll find a way to gently caress it up.

(Dammit just give me an HD remake of V Square.)

Dross posted:

Famitsu list

Okay, ignoring that Tactics is near the bottom and X is on the top, III over V? VIII over IX? I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, ignoring that Tactics is near the bottom and X is on the top, III over V? VIII over IX? I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Well in III you just upgrade jobs so you never have to think about things and VIII has the better cardgame over IX so QED.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Mega64 posted:

As awesome as that sounds, I have faith in Square-Enix to find a way to gently caress it up. "Social mobile game" seems the likeliest.

It's going to be Dissidia in sprite form.

I would be ok with that, wacky story and all...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Veks posted:

It's going to be Dissidia in sprite form.

I would be ok with that, wacky story and all...

I think a silly game with a wacky story would be great, but this is SE so everything will be taken deathly seriously and it'll probably try to incorporate that dumb explanation of the crystals from TAY.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF3 has some charm to it, and I could see Japanese gamers being nostalgic for it as it's the first FF to really nail the general gameplay formula and conventions used for future FF games (bosses at the end of each dungeon, introduction of many mainstay jobs and abilities, first game with Moogles, and so on). That, and as I recently posted, the music is loving awesome as hell. It definitely has its flaws, and its various remakes only make them stand out rather than try to fix them, but the original still has a nice charm to it and I feel is still playable for those who grew up with the later FF's. It can be (very) tedious, but it's not really difficult.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Creepy villain, sure, but they were basically the same thing as Lavos except with "we now have a couple hundred MB of space for text to work with" explanations.

Well Deus at least has an entirely different backstory to Lavos. Plus if you count Miang, it has its own personality while I thought Lavos was more of an antagonistic creature and not truly villainous. (haven't played CT)

Jenova is a bit trickier. The original game strongly implied sentience and sapience but it seems more and more likely that it's supposed to be basically an animal/virus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

VIII is really easy to explain actually.

VIII is the most popular Final Fantasy amongst Japanese female fans, who make up a substantial part of the FF fanbase. It isn't as popular with male fans which is why it doesn't rank higher.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Well in III you just upgrade jobs so you never have to think about things and VIII has the better cardgame over IX so QED.

It would have the better cardgame if it wasn't just as built on RNG stupidity as Tetra Master.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Lavos was more of an antagonistic creature and not truly villainous. (haven't played CT)

Well, sort of. In Trigger, Lavos is treated as more or less a mindless animal, merely absorbing DNA from life on the planet to reach maturity and then create offspring who would fly off to other planets containing life and do the same thing there.

In Cross however Lavos is treated as an intelligent and malevolent being. Though one could argue it only gained intelligence when it absorbed Schala I suppose.

ImpAtom posted:

VIII is the most popular Final Fantasy amongst Japanese female fans, who make up a substantial part of the FF fanbase.

So Japanese women have a thing for socially awkward morons? I seriously can't think of a single character in that game that was anything close to a functional human being. Well, maybe Kiros and Ward.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well, sort of. In Trigger, Lavos is treated as more or less a mindless animal, merely absorbing DNA from life on the planet to reach maturity and then create offspring who would fly off to other planets containing life and do the same thing there.

In Cross however Lavos is treated as an intelligent and malevolent being. Though one could argue it only gained intelligence when it absorbed Schala I suppose.

So Japanese women have a thing for socially awkward morons? I seriously can't think of a single character in that game that was anything close to a functional human being. Well, maybe Kiros and Ward.

Luckily nobody should care about how Lavos is in CC :smug:

At best treat them like two different entities and don't let CC infringe on CT in any way whatsoever

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maybe a lot of Japanese women are the 'oh but I can change him!" types. Squall, Seifer and Laguna are all in desperate need of a woman to fix them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe a lot of Japanese women are the 'oh but I can change him!" types. Squall, Seifer and Laguna are all in desperate need of a woman to fix them.

Thank goodness its so easy with the Junction System.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And by "Easy" you mean "Hopelessly complex and arbitrary"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Much like a real man. FFVIII: The Ultimate Dating Simulator.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is there really anything complicated about Drawing and Junctioning? Sure, if you feel like it, you can make the game even more trivial with card game nonsense, but doing the bare minimum of drawing magic and refining things still makes you really overpowered.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Momomo posted:

Is there really anything complicated about Drawing and Junctioning? Sure, if you feel like it, you can make the game even more trivial with card game nonsense, but doing the bare minimum of drawing magic and refining things still makes you really overpowered.

No, it's just the excuse everyone uses to claim it's not the best FF ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I love FF6 enough that I'd legitimately be psyched for a lovely FF4:TAY-style faux retro sequel.

gently caress that, give me a War of the Magi prequel or a sprite based Dissidia RPG. We really don't need FF6:TAY:Terra's Love Story.

ImpAtom posted:

I really think FFT doesn't stand out as well when you had all of the Ogre games to play. It'd be a helluva lot less distinctive. (Although worse than every one is a bit much.)

Tactics Ogre's SNES/PSX version didn't have nearly the gameplay depth that the team did for FFT. Plus as broken as TG Cid and Math Skill was they were still mere childplay compared to Dragon Magic, Snapdragon weapons, and Animate/Retissue. Any one of which completely any utterly trivialized the game from that point on

Especially when you animate/retissue a pair of generic characters a few times then have them cast Snapdragon and make Denim dual wield them as a Lord, or give one to Presence and equip him with Starion. :unsmigghh:

Mega64 posted:

God I loving hope not unless they're doing the mechanics while someone else does the story.

TAY and FFD have some pretty solid mechanics but the writing is just so bland.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The final form of Lavos in CT kind of dispels "mindless parasite thing" though, even without the trainwreck that is CC.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Francois Kofko posted:

Luckily nobody should care about how Lavos is in CC :smug:

At best treat them like two different entities and don't let CC infringe on CT in any way whatsoever

Eh, I think CC and CT both improve one another and I enjoyed both more after playing both games, with CC having a slight edge in my mind.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Mega64 posted:

They already have a mobile-social game in Brigade, which is not only barely a year old, but apparently crazy popular in Japan and only just got a full worldwide release about a month ago, so I doubt they'll go for another one.

FF6-related something or other is my guess but exactly what I have no idea. That Black Mage sprite throws me pretty bad. :iiam:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FF6 dressup game. Dress your favourite FF6 characters up as a black mage, fighter, and more!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

FF6 dressup game. Dress your favourite FF6 characters up as a black mage, fighter, and more!

You know, each character in 6 has their own "built in" job; it could actually be really cool to be able to make hybrid classes by having each character "equip" a job. Like Sabin with Black Mage could let you do a variety of elemental-based combat moves. It'd be like FF5, but each character would have their own unique set of jobs based on these job fusions...

But that'd be way too interesting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The final form of Lavos in CT kind of dispels "mindless parasite thing" though, even without the trainwreck that is CC.

If you're talking about Magus's line about "controlling evolution" then Chrono Compendium says that line is a mistranslation. Otherwise I can't think of anything about the final form that dispels that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ it's a humanoid create and not just some giant demon hedgehog for starters. Luca(?) also mentions it having collected DNA and the final form inside seems to be a bizzare evolved.. thing.

Schwartzcough posted:

You know, each character in 6 has their own "built in" job; it could actually be really cool to be able to make hybrid classes by having each character "equip" a job. Like Sabin with Black Mage could let you do a variety of elemental-based combat moves. It'd be like FF5, but each character would have their own unique set of jobs based on these job fusions...

But that'd be way too interesting.

Flaming (train) Suplex? :swoon:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Evil Fluffy posted:

Flaming (train) Suplex? :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHlXY4rPDU&t=52s

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ it's a humanoid create and not just some giant demon hedgehog for starters. Luca(?) also mentions it having collected DNA and the final form inside seems to be a bizzare evolved.. thing.

That might be a result of Queen Zeal being absorbed by it though. Hard to say. Besides, the "humanoid" part isn't really Lavos, remember? It's a decoy, the "real" Lavos is one of the things on the side of it. That's the trick of that battle, is most people are going to assume that the thing in the middle is what you have to take down.

e: After hanging out on Chrono Compendium for the last half hour and reading about the Dead Sea/Sea of Eden, I officially give up on trying to understand Chrono Cross's plot at all.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 16, 2013