Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
N: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/01/14/clarence_thomas_speaks_supreme_court_justice_breaks_nearly_6_year_silence.html

quote:

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has famously kept quiet during the past six (nearly seven) years of oral arguments. That streak appears to have come to an end today, when Thomas, a graduate of Yale Law School, broke his silence to crack wise about his alma mater:

V: Clarence Thomas owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Petey posted:

V: Clarence Thomas owns.
Justice Thomas mentioned he loved cooking barbecue. I asked the good Justice if he had any personal deviations or special additions to make the dish his own. He claimed never to deviate from the original receipe.

True story.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Green Crayons posted:

Justice Thomas mentioned he loved cooking barbecue. I asked the good Justice if he had any personal deviations or special additions to make the dish his own. He claimed never to deviate from the original receipe.

True story.

That's hilarious. Gotta give the man credit, he may be batty but he's consistent.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Actually he's a bitter piece of poo poo and that joke is horrible

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Lol. Thomas.

Someone remind me, why does he hate his alma mater so much again? Was it :qq:affirmative action or somehting like that?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ah yes, justices in highest court tell awful jokes and then room full of smart people laugh like it's an episode of Married With Children being taped live, justice being done and being seen to be done

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

insanityv2 posted:

Was it :qq:affirmative action or somehting like that?

Exactly that, actually.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

insanityv2 posted:

Lol. Thomas.

Someone remind me, why does he hate his alma mater so much again? Was it :qq:affirmative action or somehting like that?

Yeah he felt like he was patronized by affirmative action and that Yale is racist as poo poo generally.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Tbh, the way he has allowed it to color his jurisprudence is unethical, but I could totally understand feeling like a stigmatized outsider if I were a poor southern black in 1970s Yale and resenting it later in life.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shoulda gone to med or pharm school. (Pharm school is next. The AMA actually regulates their grad numbers though so MDs are safe.)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

HolySwissCheese posted:

Tbh, the way he has allowed it to color his jurisprudence is unethical, but I could totally understand feeling like a stigmatized outsider if I were a poor southern black in 1970s Yale and resenting it later in life.
Yeah, I'm sure being at literally the absolute top of his profession has given him a lot to feel resentful for.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah, I'm sure being at literally the absolute top of his profession has given him a lot to feel resentful for.

You saying you wouldn't feel resentful about spending a decade sitting next to Scalia?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ah yes, justices in highest court tell awful jokes and then room full of smart people laugh like it's an episode of Married With Children being taped live, justice being done and being seen to be done

The best part is that Sotomayor followed up (or preceded, couldn't tell) with a comment about harvard/yale attorneys, and after everyone was done chuckling the attorney of record was like "Yeah or LSU" because they went there and no one laughed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

I always got the sense that he just generally resented things made of carbon. He knows he ought to be above the whole carbon-based fight for survival that the rest of us peons are on this planet pursuing, but instead he's sitting there trapped in that blob of flesh, at the whim of the arguments of those less than himself. And he's doomed to a lifetime appointment of sitting, stewing, lurking, waiting for his opportunity to burst forth from the malleable avatar known as his body.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

He wasn't at literally the absolute top of his profession when he was at Yale. In fact, he graduated with almost no job prospects and no help from the administration, only enhancing his perception of tokenism.

That said, being a jobless Yale grad was probably caused by the same solipsistic lack of empathy that allows him to sit as the second worst justice on the Court. However, the way Thomas feels towards Yale is totally plausible and even a little sympathetic. I don't think you should have to forgive every perceived past transgression once you reach a certain level of professional success.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

HolySwissCheese posted:

He wasn't at literally the absolute top of his profession when he was at Yale. In fact, he graduated with almost no job prospects and no help from the administration, only enhancing his perception of tokenism.

That said, being a jobless Yale grad was probably caused by the same solipsistic lack of empathy that allows him to sit as the second worst justice on the Court. However, the way Thomas feels towards Yale is totally plausible and even a little sympathetic. I don't think you should have to forgive every perceived past transgression once you reach a certain level of professional success.
He notion that he would have had an easier time of things with a degree from anywhere else is laughable. What do you think is a bigger impediment to the job prospects of a young attorney: having a degree from the best law school in the nation, or being black in Missouri in the 70s? Chalking up personal adversity to a great education opportunity instead of pervasive racism is another symptom of Thomas being terminally wrongheaded.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Clarence Thomas best justice. Deal with it.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Direwolf posted:

The best part is that Sotomayor followed up (or preceded, couldn't tell) with a comment about harvard/yale attorneys, and after everyone was done chuckling the attorney of record was like "Yeah or LSU" because they went there and no one laughed.

Is it bad that it took me a moment to remember what LSU was? I'm all like, Law School of Uzbekistan? What?

Anyway, apropos of nothing, I made some more mangas.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Clarence Thomas is the most powerful comic book nerd in the world.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ragle posted:

Actually he's a bitter piece of poo poo and that joke is horrible

Any joke at a law school's expense is a good joke. Can't blame the man for being disgusted with yale, american legal academia is an institutional manifestation of shame and moral failure. All that unwarranted elitism, based on the most horrid and crass grounds.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Agesilaus posted:

Any joke at a law school's expense is a good joke. Can't blame the man for being disgusted with yale, american legal academia is an institutional manifestation of shame and moral failure. All that unwarranted elitism, based on the most horrid and crass grounds.
I would say "yes, I agree" but I just know the next line would have something to do with Sparta

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

He notion that he would have had an easier time of things with a degree from anywhere else is laughable. What do you think is a bigger impediment to the job prospects of a young attorney: having a degree from the best law school in the nation, or being black in Missouri in the 70s? Chalking up personal adversity to a great education opportunity instead of pervasive racism is another symptom of Thomas being terminally wrongheaded.

I don't think that notion was at all implied. It has that has to do with the daily microaggressions you perceive as a token minority in one of the great bastions of white privilege in our country. Sure, it was lucrative and worthwhile, etc., but in the years he was at Yale and then the years shortly after, he was an awkward outsider and then an unemployed awkward outsider. That was the truth of his life when his views towards Yale were formed.

You could say that the emotional problems that are evident in his writings are the real root cause of his problems in the 70s, but its still a sympathetic situation.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."

Bro Enlai posted:

Is it bad that it took me a moment to remember what LSU was? I'm all like, Law School of Uzbekistan? What?

Anyway, apropos of nothing, I made some more mangas.

All you need now is Law and Order on some TV in the background and a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird on the desk.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The box says 8 years ago but the posters say 18 years ago.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gret posted:

Clarence Thomas best justice. Deal with it.

The only pro-weed justice.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

diospadre posted:

The box says 8 years ago but the posters say 18 years ago.

:pseudo: Obviously the comic was made 10 years ago!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HolySwissCheese posted:

Who's the worst?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

sigmachiev posted:

Who's the worst?

I heard Scalia was the best.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

sigmachiev posted:

Who's the worst?

Kennedy.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

sigmachiev posted:

Who's the worst?

Roberts, that insufferable segregationist motherfucker.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's always funny, and always sad, to hear law students and young attorneys go on about the united states supreme court justices. I literally don't know their names, outside the obvious ones like scalia; does anyone think that following scotus like some sort of popular sports tournament is a worthwhile habit for attorneys? I mean, I use their opinions when I'm writing briefs and motions in order to lay out the general foundation and framework for my argument, but the meat and potatoes almost always comes from lower court decisions and the individual lawyer's way of working it all together.

You'll likely never practice in front of them, you can't predict their opinions in any helpful or financially profitable manner, and it seems unanimous that they're all tossers from schools that have nothing to do with practicing law. Is following the supreme court just some form of imitation at following a court with daily relevance to professional practice, engaged in by law students and young professionals? I was approached by another young attorney who said, ” hey you're a law guy, what do you think about the upcoming opinion in the (I think he said affirmative action but I forget)”, and after getting over my initial confusion all I could come up with was, ” oh those fuckers, why would I know anything about that lot.”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Agesilaus posted:

It's always funny, and always sad, to hear law students and young attorneys go on about the united states supreme court justices. I literally don't know their names, outside the obvious ones like scalia; does anyone think that following scotus like some sort of popular sports tournament is a worthwhile habit for attorneys?

:shrug: I read every oral argument transcript and every opinion from the US Supreme Court. No relevance to my practice other than sporadically, but 1) I think I should know what the US Supreme Court is doing and 2) I find the oral arguments interesting in terms of how arguments are presented and challenged. Could I do the same thing with the Georgia Supreme Court of the 11th Circuit? Yes, in theory, but in light of the number of opinions and the fact that the 11th Circuit only sells CDs of oral argument for $30, not practical.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Keeping up with the Supreme Court is pretty important if you care at all about national policy issues. If you have any personal curiosity about any of these topics, you too may wish to know a little more about the Court and its members' views:

-Affirmative action in college admissions
-Racial diversity in public schools
-Whether and how the Affordable Care Act will be implemented
-Gay marriage
-Female pay disparities
-How large can a class in a class action suit be before Scalia blinks?
-Gun control
-The racial makeup of congressional districts for elections

These issues and more have been before the Court in the last 5 years. If you go back farther than 5 years, you'll find questions like

-How little due process can we get away with providing to prisoners? Not so fast, what if we keep them off-shore and also they are Muslim?
-Which presidential candidate in the 2000 presidential election will get to be president starting in January 2001?

My Congressman's district was affected by a Supreme Court decision handed down this year. Sometimes the Court does things that any civic-minded person should be aware of, even if he isn't a lawyer practicing before it.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 16, 2013

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

HolySwissCheese posted:

Keeping up with the Supreme Court is pretty important if you care at all about national policy issues. If you have any personal curiosity about any of these topics, you too may wish to know a little more about the Court and its members' views:

Adding:

-When will Scalia just admit that he thinks the Confrontation Clause means that the Defendant and witness go into the Thunderdome?
-When will the conservative justices abolish consumer cases entirely and send everything to arbitration?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Alaemon posted:

Adding:

-When will Scalia just admit that he thinks the Confrontation Clause means that the Defendant and witness go into the Thunderdome?
-When will the conservative justices abolish consumer cases entirely and send everything to arbitration?

I find both of these things very attractive propositions.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I find both of these things very attractive propositions.

Antonin, is that you?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

ulmont posted:

:shrug: I read every oral argument transcript and every opinion from the US Supreme Court. No relevance to my practice other than sporadically, but 1) I think I should know what the US Supreme Court is doing and 2) I find the oral arguments interesting in terms of how arguments are presented and challenged. Could I do the same thing with the Georgia Supreme Court of the 11th Circuit? Yes, in theory, but in light of the number of opinions and the fact that the 11th Circuit only sells CDs of oral argument for $30, not practical.

Nice game tryhard, thanks for playing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SlyFrog posted:

Nice game tryhard, thanks for playing.

I've been practicing for 6 years now, thanks.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

HolySwissCheese posted:

-Affirmative action in college admissions
-Racial diversity in public schools
-Whether and how the Affordable Care Act will be implemented
-Gay marriage
-Female pay disparities
-How large can a class in a class action suit be before Scalia blinks?
-Gun control
-The racial makeup of congressional districts for elections

These issues and more have been before the Court in the last 5 years. If you go back farther than 5 years, you'll find questions like

-How little due process can we get away with providing to prisoners? Not so fast, what if we keep them off-shore and also they are Muslim?
-Which presidential candidate in the 2000 presidential election will get to be president starting in January 2001?

My Congressman's district was affected by a Supreme Court decision handed down this year. Sometimes the Court does things that any civic-minded person should be aware of, even if he isn't a lawyer practicing before it.

Yeah, this. I'm not even a lawyer--I'm a court administrator--and I keep up with the issues that interest me, just out of basic professional curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

It's always funny, and always sad, to hear law students and young attorneys go on about the united states supreme court justices. I literally don't know their names, outside the obvious ones like scalia; does anyone think that following scotus like some sort of popular sports tournament is a worthwhile habit for attorneys? I mean, I use their opinions when I'm writing briefs and motions in order to lay out the general foundation and framework for my argument, but the meat and potatoes almost always comes from lower court decisions and the individual lawyer's way of working it all together.

You'll likely never practice in front of them, you can't predict their opinions in any helpful or financially profitable manner, and it seems unanimous that they're all tossers from schools that have nothing to do with practicing law. Is following the supreme court just some form of imitation at following a court with daily relevance to professional practice, engaged in by law students and young professionals? I was approached by another young attorney who said, ” hey you're a law guy, what do you think about the upcoming opinion in the (I think he said affirmative action but I forget)”, and after getting over my initial confusion all I could come up with was, ” oh those fuckers, why would I know anything about that lot.”

DA doesn't care what the supreme court has to say. Insert joke here.