Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

greatn posted:

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Rare was just FULL of furries ever since the SNES days.

Pretty much. Namco didn't help, their official art of Krystal for SF Assault was total pandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

SyRauk posted:

Well my victory was short lived. I can establish a connection to the Internet now but I cannot load the eshop, use the browser, or use the TVii.

My WiiU was doing this when I first got it. It just stopped doing it and it all works fine now. I deleted my wireless setting and attempted connecting to it again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

theflyingorc posted:

The best Star Fox game still came out in 1997. :(

That game is still so awesome. I wish we could get a sequel more like that and less like any of the Star Fox games that came after.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

Of course, it just wasn't as visible because the internet was less developed. Ic you're going to make a game with anthropomorphic animals though, just do it. No matter what your game stars some weirdo is gonna get off to it. If Pixar movie makers or family friendly game developers worried about whether someone is going to get off to their creations they'd never make any games or kids movies at all.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Rare was just FULL of furries ever since the SNES days.

Some stuff I've read (here on SA) seems to suggest that the furry "community" basically started with Tiny Toon Adventures in the early 90s. The creators, since they were the first show to have to deal with this, were horrified that there were a bunch of guys on the internet talking about how they liked to look at the prepubescent cartoon animals and touch themselves.

Also they sent fan mail.

^^^ Star Fox 64 is INDEED awesome. But we're closing on 16 years without a good sequel, and only one real attempt on console to make a game in that style (Star Fox Assault). It's very sad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

^^^ Star Fox 64 is INDEED awesome. But we're closing on 16 years without a good sequel, and only one real attempt on console to make a game in that style (Star Fox Assault). It's very sad.
And I think it's one of Hideki Kamiya's favorite games...and he would like to make a Star Fox game...and his team is familiar with the hardware from W101...

Dammit Nintendo just sign him up for it already :cry:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing that I am getting far more use from my Wii U right now as system to play original Wii games that I missed out on. Looking on the bright-side, Mario Kart Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 are awesome and I don't have to worry about my GamePad running out of battery!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lifespan posted:

I'm not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing that I am getting far more use from my Wii U right now as system to play original Wii games that I missed out on. Looking on the bright-side, Mario Kart Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 are awesome and I don't have to worry about my GamePad running out of battery!

Games are games and backwards compatibility is awesome. This is only a good thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The concept of leaving a Mario game unbeaten is just :psyduck: to me.

After the first couple levels by myself I was bored as gently caress; I really don't care to play the game without friends. It's the same poo poo as previous NSMB games and completely stagnant.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fist of the North Star 2 coming to Wii U E shop only. Game of the year, all years.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sire Oblivion posted:

After the first couple levels by myself I was bored as gently caress; I really don't care to play the game without friends. It's the same poo poo as previous NSMB games and completely stagnant.
Because clearly the first couple levels are sufficient to judge the quality of an entire game.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's not really. Level design is top notch. Good job figuring that out from the can't-lose starter levels, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Because clearly the first couple levels are sufficient to judge the quality of an entire game.

In this case it is, Nintendo really mishandled the NSMB franchise.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's pretty much the best Mario platformer, so if you do not like Mario platformers, you will not like this game.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

The Metroid mini game in Nintendo Land is similar in some ways to Star Fox 64 multiplayer -- ship vs. ground units, and missiles aren't that dissimilar to nova bombs. Without too many changes it very well could have been Star Fox themed instead of Metroid themed. All it'd really take is new art, more open levels, and a ship that constantly moves forward. If they just took the gunship controls but put it partially on rails, they're a good ways toward making a traditional Star Fox sequel happen.

Really, they should just get Retro to do it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

theflyingorc posted:

It's not really. Level design is top notch. Good job figuring that out from the can't-lose starter levels, though.

Maybe I shouldn't have used "couple" then and stated the first 2 worlds. So 25% into the game and it's not challenging nor much fun for me, but hey, still warrants the knee-jerk reactions right?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have used "couple" then and stated the first 2 worlds. So 25% into the game and it's not challenging nor much fun for me, but hey, still warrants the knee-jerk reactions right?

Have you found the secret exits and been collecting all the star coins? Because that's the majority of the difficulty throughout the game, though the later worlds do get kind of nasty.

And yes, there's a pretty significant difference between "first couple levels" (putting you somewhere in the middle of World 1) and the first two worlds. If I got 5 stars in Super Mario Galaxy and said that I hated it and the level design sucks, I would expect someone to call me out on that.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I've said this in one of these threads before but my dream Star Fox game would be one with a single player mode like SF64, and a multiplayer mode that's basically SF Assault meets Star Wars Battlefront. It might partly be because I also really want SW Battlefront III. :(

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I've got good use out of my Wii U so far. I've probably put in 20 hours into NSMBU, Nintendoland and ZombiU with another 25+ easily to finish them. I think NSMBU and NL are less appealing if you just play them by yourself though.

What's my best bet for buying a motion plus controller if I missed out on the Flingsmash deal?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Fist of the North Star 2 coming to Wii U E shop only. Game of the year, all years.

Which game is it a sequel to? Crossing my fingers for 2D fighter.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Artix74 posted:

Have you found the secret exits and been collecting all the star coins?

I went for all of the Coins and got some of the alternate exists, still didn't find myself having fun. So a quarter of the game and I'm bored, I really have no reason to go back. The aesthetics are ok, but they haven't really changed since the inception of this series and the world themes have been done to hell and back. The only new concepts I can remember running into where the Glowing Yoshi and Squirrel Suit. It just feels like they played it safe.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Gutcruncher posted:

Nope. It's the sequel to the Dynasty-Warriors-like from the Dynasty Warriors guys

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

Ken's Rage 2, ie the brawler that may or may not run on the Dynasty Warriors engine, I forget.

That Turkey Story posted:

The Metroid mini game in Nintendo Land is similar in some ways to Star Fox 64 multiplayer -- ship vs. ground units, and missiles aren't that dissimilar to nova bombs. Without too many changes it very well could have been Star Fox themed instead of Metroid themed. All it'd really take is new art, more open levels, and a ship that constantly moves forward. If they just took the gunship controls but put it partially on rails, they're a good ways toward making a traditional Star Fox sequel happen.

Really, they should just get Retro to do it.

The devs mentioned that it almost was a Star Fox attraction, but they didn't think the Arwing was as good a fit as Samus' gunship. They made the right call.

EDIT: Excitebike and 1080 Snowboarding were considered for the DK attraction, too.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
So I just got a Wii U and picked up Super Mario Bro U and ZombiU, what else should I get? I'm into pretty much everything.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Notinghamington posted:

So I just got a Wii U and picked up Super Mario Bro U and ZombiU, what else should I get? I'm into pretty much everything.

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

Notinghamington posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Warriors Orochi 3 are both really great ports of fantastic games. If the genres interest you and you haven't played them on other consoles definitely worth a purchase.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

How have we not suggested Funky Barn?

Serious Answer: Nintendo Land.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Fallom posted:

In this case it is, Nintendo really mishandled the NSMB franchise.

It really upsets me because NSMBU really is a great game but it was preceded by merely 4 months by a game with an incredibly similar title and reused graphics that I also happen to I think is one of the worst 2D platformers Nintendo has ever published (which is still only mediocre, but the point still stands).

I just do not get the point of NSMB2 at all. I know it sells well because it's a 2D Mario, but it's so disappointing with what I've come to expect from Nintendo. I feel like 2012 was a really bad year for Mario all around when his best showing, as good as it was, was still not a very original or fresh game.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Notinghamington posted:

For eShop titles, Little Inferno, Trine 2, and Nano Assault Neo are worth looking into.

I've been playing Metroid Prime Trilogy for the past couple weeks, and I can't believe how clunky ZombiU's dual-stick controls feel now. I died on the first zombie in the demo, though that was partly because I wasn't clear on how the melee controls worked. I'll give it a couple more tries but at this stage I'm not optimistic that I'll buy the full game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Notinghamington posted:

Sonic Racing is the best kart racing game I've played in years and is packed with enough content to make other kart racers look like they're phoning it in. It's also crazy hard without being ridiculous with the rubber banding or weapons.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sire Oblivion posted:

The only new concepts I can remember running into where the Glowing Yoshi and Squirrel Suit.
The squirrel suit is probably the best-handled Mario pickup in a long time, though.

Good platformers live and die by their level design, and NSMBU has really good level design.

How, exactly, would you not "play it safe" in a Mario game? It's a 2D platformer that needs to be recognizable as Mario. I'm just glad they made it a robust interconnected world map instead of those dumb world-by-world things from the first NSMB.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

For eShop titles, Little Inferno, Trine 2, and Nano Assault Neo are worth looking into.
Mighty Switch Force seems perfectly fine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

nerdbot posted:

I just do not get the point of NSMB2 at all.

Coin Rush mode, mostly

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I havent played any of the other NSMB games but I think it's pretty solid. The time attack challenges are legit. Trying to unlock the star road levels is proving to be an interesting enough challenge. Enough so that I haven't gotten bored with it yet. It's definitely a good launch title.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The power ups are so boring. Soooo boring. (Smb)

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
My feeling about NSMBU (as of about halfway through - I don't tend to marathon Mario games) is that it's very well-crafted but not in a way that's immediately exciting. The squirrel suit is basically the embodiment of that - it's probably the best-balanced "flying" powerup Mario has had, and it's about as good as such a powerup could be without breaking the game, but as a result it's not terribly exciting.

Then again, I miss the blue shell from NSMB. Bring that back and I'll be a happy man. Trying to clear levels without ever coming out of shell slide was a shitload of fun.

edit: The baby Yoshis actually have some cool "weird powerup" potential but I haven't seen much of them yet, I kind of hope there's more of them in the late game.

Benly fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 15, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're pretty rare. I think the number of times you see them is single digit, not completely sure.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm excited for the Cave.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Benly posted:

Then again, I miss the blue shell from NSMB. Bring that back and I'll be a happy man. Trying to clear levels without ever coming out of shell slide was a shitload of fun.
I'm surprised because I hated that thing. While its fine to have modes of play that allow you to challenge yourself, I found it annoying that there was basically no positive benefit of having the blue shell. It was a powerup that only seemed to make the game harder to play.

edit: But yeah, the way Mario works makes it hard to have a powerup that is all at once "crazy" and "not game breaking" and "not required" - and due to the convention of "get hit while you have powerup, lose powerup" you absolutely cannot make them required to finish a section.

You could probably do it with a powerup that was always on in a certain area and regardless of it you were large or small, but you'd also have to deal with existing fireflowers/raccoon suits.

It would be possible, but the only reason a developer would even do it if they sat down and said "our powerups are too boring, let's make them exciting!" You're probably not going to do that when you're in the middle of making what is already a very good game because your thought isn't going to be "this sucks, how can we make it better?"

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 15, 2013

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm surprised because I hated that thing. While its fine to have modes of play that allow you to challenge yourself, I found it annoying that there was basically no positive benefit of having the blue shell. It was a powerup that only seemed to make the game harder to play.

I thought the same at first, but the blue shell has the advantage of being able to kill drat near anything up to and including Thwomps and Boos. Slaughtering everything is also part of the fun.

vvvv Haha, that's everyone's reaction. It's so tricky to control that nobody bothers to experiment with it much unless they're just loving around, but when you do it's surprisingly powerful.

Benly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 15, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Benly posted:

I thought the same at first, but the blue shell has the advantage of being able to kill drat near anything up to and including Thwomps and Boos. Slaughtering everything is also part of the fun.

...it could kill Thwomps?

Well, I'll be. OK, Blue Shell is now acceptable again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

edit: But yeah, the way Mario works makes it hard to have a powerup that is all at once "crazy" and "not game breaking" and "not required" - and due to the convention of "get hit while you have powerup, lose powerup" you absolutely cannot make them required to finish a section.

Yoshi's Island had Yoshi's transformation. I did not like it because at the time those transformations they broke the flow of the game... they were limited in time, in scope and changed the "hit Yoshi/lose Mario" paradigm, but reading these two lines I think the Yoshi's Island paradigm was actually great. In any case at least in NSMB DS some powerups that can't be found or hard to be found in some levels are actually required to unlock some secrets, and I think some gold stars in 3D Land need a raccoon suit too.

• Locked thread