Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Robo Kitty posted:

I love your posts about Jackie-cat. :3: I just got back from visiting my family with Indy for a month, where we were in a decently-sized house with 3 other people and 3 other cats. She had a lot of fun playing with the other cats, exploring the house and looking out all the windows, and having other people to sit with when I was unavailable. My dad called and commented that the cat, Mikey, who played with her a lot was walking around crying and looking for her after we'd left; he kept trying to get into my room to see if she was in there. I said that I was worried Indy would be disappointed readjusting to life in a tiny studio apartment not much bigger than their living room without other cats or people. "Listen," my dad said, "the only thing that cat wants or needs in her life is you."

We haven't even been home for a day and after a nice long nap she's completely back to being happy here. All she wants is a lap, or a spot next to me on the couch (or preferably curled up on top of me when I'm on the couch), or even to lie on the floor in front of me if it's one of those moments when there isn't room for her next to me. Or, you know, to constantly jump in front of the computer monitor when I'm actually working. Sure, she loves her food and Da Bird turns her into some kind of wild beast-cat, but most of the time all she really wants is to be curled up as close to me as possible.

Awww thanks :) It really makes me happy that *some* people at least enjoy my occasionally repetitive ramblings... And you called her Jackie-cat! I know it's because you picked up on me doing it on here, but the funny thing, it's usually by accident when I type it here. I call her "Jackie-cat" in real life all the time, often referring to her in the third person with. "Does The Jackie-Cat want her breakfast now?" for instance. It's probably a bit obnoxious but I think it's cute!

And I also love your posts about Indy (like the one you just made above); made me feel all warm and toasty inside :3: My dad could say that sort of thing about me and Jackie but I think he's still a little bitter over losing her; he was the only one besides me in the family who really liked her. And your situation definitely reminds me of me and Jackie, right down to the tiny little apartment... I dunno though, despite being tiny, my apartment honestly felt rather big and lonely before I got Jackie. But with a cat everything just gets so much cozier, I can't even explain it. I don't think I'll ever be able to live long-term anywhere without a cat, because it just feels *wrong*.

Oh and that pic is just *so* goddamn cute. Indy's beautiful and the paw on the wrist is just the perfect illustration of the possessive cat, happy to have her human right where she wants it.

benjai posted:

Finally, I get to make a kaworu-like post about my rear end in a top hat!

I just had a fight with my parents about my grandmother's dog, who's annoying the poo poo out of me because I'm super allergic to her and she doesn't let us sleep at night because she makes whimpy noises and scratches on the front door and she is so loving untrained it's horrible. So we had a fight because they screwed up and couldn't get the dog tonight and my anxiety really flared up.

I went in to get my anxiety meds and Batsy jumped up on the wash bin and meowed and meowed and meowed, which is really unsual so I lifted him up in my arms to cuddle and he didn't struggle whatsoever, despite being carried like a baby! He was totally still and complacent. Until the moment he figured I'd calmed down a little bit, then he jumped out of my arms and went to snack on the dog food. My little rear end in a top hat <3

Hehe, I have to say I love that this gets defined as a 'kaworu-like post' :xd: I feel proud and flattered, like, legitimately!

And that's an incredibly cute story, of course. Sounds like you have an rear end in a top hat who is very considerate when it matters! I do find it interesting though that stories like this aren't exactly uncommon, and everyone always feels like it's a pretty special thing when it happens - that is, when their pets seem to respond them in a sympathetic, caring, or almost human-like way when they need it the most.

I'm going to get slightly :tinfoil: here, and venture boldly into the realm of pseudo-science and wishy-washy new-age-ness - just understand that I do so knowingly. Anyway, part of me honestly believes that when anyone spends a lot of time in immediate physical proximity to their pet, day in and day out, for whatever reason, there's some low-grade intuitive connection that gets made which isn't "psychic" in any real sense (because such things don't exist) but has more to do with a pet's observation of physical and verbal cues combined with instinct. So a cat who has spent enough time with their human (and that amount of time would vary based on a number of factors) would eventually be able to figure out when their human is in legitimate distress of some sort, and would instinctively respond appropriately.

So basically, viewing cats as intuitive creatures to some extent, it makes a certain amount of sense to me that if their human, say, has chronic anxiety problems, they would eventually learn to act to calm their human down in such a situation. I admit that not all cats are capable of such behavior do to any number of factors, but for example, the ones who grew up around humans from a very young age and were never subject to any abuse and are very comfortable with physical human contact have a better chance. This isn't to say that shy or skittish cats wouldn't behave empathetically to their humans too, I just think they'd be a bit less likely, perhaps. Or just aren't nearly as obvious or physically demonstrative about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
I shouldn't be surprised when Batsy does stuff like this, honestly, but it just warms my heart whenever he does. A year ago, before we sorted through my anti-depressants and we were still trying and stuff, I was in a pretty bad, self-destructive rut. I'd go into the bathroom to hide and to self-harm, and Bats, only a tiny kitten around 5 months old, would come in and he'd put his paws on my knees and be all like noooooo don't do that. Like, every single time. Sometimes before I'd taken the razor blade out.

With the way he's been acting when the dog was here, I've realized exactly how much I depend on that little fucker. He's become a total therapy animal, and when he's out of synch (such as not being able to relax because of DOG) I get out of synch too. My fiancé commented last night that yeah, he's the one Bats plays with the most, but Bats isn't his. Batsy's mine all the way, and fiancé thinks that when rear end in a top hat teenager Bats turns into grumpy old man Bats, I'll be the only one who can pet him for more then a few strokes. It's me he cuddles up to in the mornings, purring and kneading my boobs (why always my boobs?!?!), it's me he sleeps next to in the middle of the night, it's me he can fall asleep on when I'm lying on the couch in my snuggie. So other people can handle him, and he's a really social cat who adapts to new situations amazingly well and loveslovesloves people, but he never lets other people handle him with the same patience as he lets me. Getting a cat was the best decission I've made in my life.

Also, I totally call Jackie-cat Jackie-cat IRL when I talk to my goon roomie. Jackie-caaaaaat~ <3

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008
A week ago I adopted two 12 week old kittens from our local RSPCA shelter. In the welcome pack it does say that kittens can have a bit of diarrhoea when settling but my question is, how long should I just wait and see if it resolves itself? Both have loose stool today (Bandit, the girl I think may have had a bit last night.)

I'm feeding them a combination of Iams kitten (wet and dry) and James Well Beloved wet kitten food, they eat 2-3 pouches each. Fresh water of course as well. This is different to what they were feeding at the shelter so I assume that might be another reason for the tummy upset?

They both seem their usual hyperactive kitty selves apart from the occasional meow before they toliet.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

We've been using a spray bottle to keep him under control with glasses of water sitting on the coffee table or whatever.

Until recently. He seems to have had an a-ha moment with the spray bottle.

:laugh: This cat. Next he'll develop a taste for hot sauce.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Miss Hime posted:

This is different to what they were feeding at the shelter so I assume that might be another reason for the tummy upset?

Yes. Also, kittens.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Miss Hime posted:

A week ago I adopted two 12 week old kittens from our local RSPCA shelter. In the welcome pack it does say that kittens can have a bit of diarrhoea when settling but my question is, how long should I just wait and see if it resolves itself? Both have loose stool today (Bandit, the girl I think may have had a bit last night.)

I'm feeding them a combination of Iams kitten (wet and dry) and James Well Beloved wet kitten food, they eat 2-3 pouches each. Fresh water of course as well. This is different to what they were feeding at the shelter so I assume that might be another reason for the tummy upset?

They both seem their usual hyperactive kitty selves apart from the occasional meow before they toliet.

Kittens have terrible poops. We adopted our pair when they were four months old and they still had runny shits and farts that could clear a room. I suggest a vet visit to rule out any possible illnesses/parasites, but yeah, in my experience it took several months until their poops normalized.

And I don't know if you've read it yet, but the Pet Island "Pet Nutrition" thread is a great read to make sure you are feeding your new little dumplings the best food possible. Good quality food leads to less and "better" poops, if poop can ever be considered good.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

kaworu posted:

Awww thanks :) It really makes me happy that *some* people at least enjoy my occasionally repetitive ramblings... And you called her Jackie-cat! I know it's because you picked up on me doing it on here, but the funny thing, it's usually by accident when I type it here. I call her "Jackie-cat" in real life all the time, often referring to her in the third person with. "Does The Jackie-Cat want her breakfast now?" for instance. It's probably a bit obnoxious but I think it's cute!

Oh and that pic is just *so* goddamn cute. Indy's beautiful and the paw on the wrist is just the perfect illustration of the possessive cat, happy to have her human right where she wants it.

Anyway, part of me honestly believes that when anyone spends a lot of time in immediate physical proximity to their pet, day in and day out, for whatever reason, there's some low-grade intuitive connection that gets made which isn't "psychic" in any real sense (because such things don't exist) but has more to do with a pet's observation of physical and verbal cues combined with instinct. So a cat who has spent enough time with their human (and that amount of time would vary based on a number of factors) would eventually be able to figure out when their human is in legitimate distress of some sort, and would instinctively respond appropriately.

Haha, I call Indy Indy-kitty or Indykins all the time so Jackie-cat makes sense to me. Right now she's making biscuits on my stomach, which would be claws-painful if it weren't for the piles of fluffy blankets I'm buried under thanks to the unusually cold weather we've been having. Indy's also been burying into the blankets too. :3:

I think that we still have a tendency to compare cats to dogs, who we literally evolved to cue into our body language. And until very recently cats were primarily barn animals and perceived as solitary animals, so in comparison it seems strange that they would respond to our moods. But of course we can tell now from feral colonies and multi-cat households that they're actually social creatures even if they're solitary hunters. When you live alone with a cat and are their entire social life, it's really not surprising they're going to pick up on your body language and react accordingly.

Even if we try to stay away from overly anthropomorphicizing them, I think it makes sense that a stressed out or sick housemate is going to stress out or in some way upset them, and over time they respond with what behaviors on their part reduce the stress/anxiety/etc in us, even if they're actually something akin to appeasement behaviors in reality. Indy definitely gets more cuddly and tones down the obnoxious FEED ME OR ELSE behavior when I'm sick or clearly in an unpleasant mood. It might be because if I'm sick and she starts yowling I get crabby, so instead of yowling she curls up with me so I don't snap at her. But hey, it makes me feel better at any rate. And it seems to make her happier, too.

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008

four lean hounds posted:

And I don't know if you've read it yet, but the Pet Island "Pet Nutrition" thread is a great read to make sure you are feeding your new little dumplings the best food possible. Good quality food leads to less and "better" poops, if poop can ever be considered good.

Yes I did but a lot of the brands listed don't seem to be available in the UK. I went with James Well Beloved as that's 10% protein and claims to be 'all natural' with no filler products. Iams was on the 'acceptable' list so I got that initially before I spotted the James Well Beloved stuff. I've also read that plain boiled chicken can be good for poopy tummies so I might try that if it persists.

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Miss Hime posted:

Yes I did but a lot of the brands listed don't seem to be available in the UK. I went with James Well Beloved as that's 10% protein and claims to be 'all natural' with no filler products. Iams was on the 'acceptable' list so I got that initially before I spotted the James Well Beloved stuff. I've also read that plain boiled chicken can be good for poopy tummies so I might try that if it persists.

If you feel comfortable shopping over the net why not check out http://www.zooplus.co.uk ? They have a decent selection of brands (both dry and wet) that might not be available in the city shops! Though I've heard reports that if you order some small things like dangler poles at the same time as heavy sand or foodbags they might get crushed during shipping... I put in an order from the .com site yesterday myself since the Swedish side somehow is much much more expensive, hopefully it'll show up ok, they tend to have good deals often.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

motherfish posted:

If you feel comfortable shopping over the net why not check out http://www.zooplus.co.uk ? They have a decent selection of brands (both dry and wet) that might not be available in the city shops! Though I've heard reports that if you order some small things like dangler poles at the same time as heavy sand or foodbags they might get crushed during shipping... I put in an order from the .com site yesterday myself since the Swedish side somehow is much much more expensive, hopefully it'll show up ok, they tend to have good deals often.

This is seriously the best site for pet stuff if you live in the UK.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Last night Pete knocked over a huge wooden mirror and I was terrified he'd crushed himself so I woke up my SO in the other room by screaming "PIZZA!" at like 3am.

He got away tho, no worse for wear, and the mirror didn't even break, it just knocked the water bottle out of my steamer.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Sex: Female
How long have you had your cat? 2 Weeks.
Is your cat spayed or neutered? Soon. (Next week)
What food do you use? Royal Canin Babycat Loaf in Sauce (Soft)
When was your last vet visit? N/A
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Strictly indoors
How many pets in your household? Two
How many litter boxes do you have? One, open

Sex: Male
How long have you had your cat? 24 Hours
Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
What food do you use? Science Diet Turkey and Giblets Kitten (Soft)
When was your last vet visit? N/A
How many pets in your household? Two
How many litter boxes do you have? One, covered

I am stuck on trying to fix anti-social/evasive behavior in rescue cats. We got the female first, from a rescue shelter run by someone we know in the area. We took her home and found her to be very sociable and agreeable when you have her in hand -- responds well to petting, doesn't struggle, lets you take her just about anywhere, etc. We set up one of the rooms as a "Cat Room" for her to get adjusted to before we gave her full run of the house. The problem was that she just seemed to lie around and not do anything, and tended to do so under the bed in a far corner where we couldn't ever get our hands on her. At first we thought it might have been the lingering kitty cold she had, so we gave her a pass until it went away. But the behavior didn't change -- she still hid under the bed almost constantly, having to be coaxed out for socialization.

We came to the conclusion several days ago (and after reading this megathread) that it might be companion-related, and there was a male cat at the same shelter of a similar age (under a year), that seemed to have a good play instinct. So we brought him home yesterday and did some introductions. The comeraderie between the two cats was instant and immediate -- within 45 seconds of introducing each other, the female had curled up right next to the male in a corner and both were purring contentedly. We left them alone for a while to get accustomed -- when we returned later, we found both of them hiding under the bed in separate corners. So much for that theory.

I have had several cats before -- my wife and I had one previously who passed away the week before we moved, and I had 3 with my ex prior -- and none of them have ever displayed this level of "hidiness." Does it have something to do with them being rescues, as opposed to more "normal" adoptions? What do I need to be doing to try to convince these cats to come out and be active, preferably with each other, or at the very least do their lounging about out in the open (perhaps on the expensive cat tree I bought you ungrateful felines :argh:) so that we can begin introducing them to the rest of the house?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Miss Hime posted:

I've also read that plain boiled chicken can be good for poopy tummies so I might try that if it persists.

Of all animals that need appropriate nutrition, kittens are high on that last. Don't feed them boiled chicken. Just find them a balanced food that they tolerate well if this is determined to be nutritionally based.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

KweezNArt posted:

I have had several cats before -- my wife and I had one previously who passed away the week before we moved, and I had 3 with my ex prior -- and none of them have ever displayed this level of "hidiness." Does it have something to do with them being rescues, as opposed to more "normal" adoptions? What do I need to be doing to try to convince these cats to come out and be active, preferably with each other, or at the very least do their lounging about out in the open (perhaps on the expensive cat tree I bought you ungrateful felines :argh:) so that we can begin introducing them to the rest of the house?

IMO you guys are rushing your expectations of them a little bit. They are both young kittens in a new environment and while I think getting the second kitten was a great idea to help the process, they need time to adjust. If they enjoy being handled when they're out, they will most likely socialize just fine. Just slow it down and take some time. Make being out from under the bed much more fun than being under the bed - give treats and play with them with interactive toys like Da Bird and such. They sound like they'll come around eventually.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It took over a month for Sadie to do more than peer around the corner at me then bolt under the bed except for being coaxed out for treats. Now she follows me from room to room, demands petting as a toll for me to walk by the bed, and will curl up right by me if I lay down. So give them time, you could try setting up little hiding places in every room where they can stay and watch goings on if they are feeling curious but not brave enough to be out in the open. A footstool or chair with a blanket or towel draped over it almost all the way to the floor works really well. Also you can dangle the toy right at the edge and get stealth paw attacks :3:

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

IMO you guys are rushing your expectations of them a little bit. They are both young kittens in a new environment and while I think getting the second kitten was a great idea to help the process, they need time to adjust. If they enjoy being handled when they're out, they will most likely socialize just fine. Just slow it down and take some time. Make being out from under the bed much more fun than being under the bed - give treats and play with them with interactive toys like Da Bird and such. They sound like they'll come around eventually.

Shifty Pony posted:

It took over a month for Sadie to do more than peer around the corner at me then bolt under the bed except for being coaxed out for treats. Now she follows me from room to room, demands petting as a toll for me to walk by the bed, and will curl up right by me if I lay down. So give them time, you could try setting up little hiding places in every room where they can stay and watch goings on if they are feeling curious but not brave enough to be out in the open. A footstool or chair with a blanket or towel draped over it almost all the way to the floor works really well. Also you can dangle the toy right at the edge and get stealth paw attacks :3:

Alright, seems like prevailing sentiment is that this is pretty normal, so we'll stop worrying about it. This is the youngest we've ever gotten cats, so we're both a little nervous about making sure they're properly adjusted for a lifetime of Good Cat Living. We'll just continue letting them know they're safe and loved, and they'll come around eventually, I guess. Thanks! :3:

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Of all animals that need appropriate nutrition, kittens are high on that last. Don't feed them boiled chicken. Just find them a balanced food that they tolerate well if this is determined to be nutritionally based.

Argh now I feel bad because I didn't see this before I gave them some. The advice on the Internet can be so conflicting even after reading half a dozen websites. I just want to do the best for them :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Miss Hime posted:

Argh now I feel bad because I didn't see this before I gave them some. The advice on the Internet can be so conflicting even after reading half a dozen websites. I just want to do the best for them :(

Feeding them 1 or 2 unbalanced meals isn't going to completely ruin everything, don't worry about it. Using boiled chicken (as part of a bland diet) usually has to be used for several days at least (usually more like a week) in order to deal with the "upset tummy" people use it for.

However, if it's the normal diet causing the signs, then when you transition back onto the normal diet you're just going to run into the same problems. That's why finding the balanced diet that works for your kitten is best - if it's the diet causing the signs.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Would there be any negative effects from me feeding my cat one or two tablespoons of meat baby food every day? She has to take lysine powder and it won't stick to her dry food (which she prefers - she rarely eats wet food and when she does she just licks up the sauce and leaves the meat) but she will lap up baby food. If I just give her a little every day to get the lysine down, will that have any long term negative effects? It won't be her meal, just to get the meds down.

edit: i mean she licks it off of wet food, but that's an expensive waste. Baby food has jars with lids you can seal and save.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Two quick, easy questions.

1. My cat gets real grumpy before taking naps. As in, she tries to bite me pretty aggressively before she settles down. How can I stop this? I normally will just try and squirt her with a water bottle, but she's stubborn and I don't always have it around. She's always been a bit of a biter, and while I'm working on breaking her of that, this is when it's the worst.

2. Do cats sleep a bit more and eat a bit less when it's very cold? We've had a major cold front move through and she's been sleeping more and eating less. I'm not really worried since she seems fine otherwise (she still plays normally and behaves like normal), but I'm just curious. She's about 10 months old now.

Here's a picture as preemptive thanks.

EDIT: Her name is Tarski. After the logician.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 14, 2013

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Would there be any negative effects from me feeding my cat one or two tablespoons of meat baby food every day? She has to take lysine powder and it won't stick to her dry food (which she prefers - she rarely eats wet food and when she does she just licks up the sauce and leaves the meat) but she will lap up baby food. If I just give her a little every day to get the lysine down, will that have any long term negative effects? It won't be her meal, just to get the meds down.

edit: i mean she licks it off of wet food, but that's an expensive waste. Baby food has jars with lids you can seal and save.

As far as I know you must make certain that the baby food doesn't have garlic or onion in it since that is toxic to cats.

And you can totally store wet cat food! I found cans like these at a local pet store, and they are usually available in different sizes depending on what size cans of cat food you buy. You could also just scoop it all into a container with a lid when you open the can, and store it that way. According to Blue Buffalo's website, canned cat food can keep for 3 days in a fridge.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

four lean hounds posted:

As far as I know you must make certain that the baby food doesn't have garlic or onion in it since that is toxic to cats.

And you can totally store wet cat food! I found cans like these at a local pet store, and they are usually available in different sizes depending on what size cans of cat food you buy. You could also just scoop it all into a container with a lid when you open the can, and store it that way. According to Blue Buffalo's website, canned cat food can keep for 3 days in a fridge.

Thanks! Yeah I just get the "chicken in gravy" or whatever. And I'd do the cat food storage but again, she licks the gravy and leaves the meat. With the baby food it's kind of all liquid so it's not wasted.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

The technical rule is that if the babyfood comprises any more than 10% on a calorie basis of her normal diet (assuming no other unbalanced treats) then you run the risk of unbalancing and having some sort of nutrient deficiency.

One tablespoon is probably fine, two may be pushing it, but you'd have to get all :science: if you want to find out the exact amount.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My cat's been pulling fur. Allergy pills don't stop it, and she doesn't eat with a cone, so the next solution is both adorable and effective:

(Please excuse the lovely photo, there is something wrong with my phone!)

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010
How long have you had your cat? Since October
What food do you use? Orijen cat & kitten and wellness core wet food
When was your last vet visit? 4 days ago
How many pets in your household? Two (One other cat, female, 5 years)
How many litter boxes do you have? Two

My new kitty Lyall has FIV and has been sick since around Christmas time. Right before Christmas I noticed he wasn't playing much and had mostly been sleeping on the same chair in the dining room - very strange for him. I also noticed that when he sat flat his right hip stuck out all funny, and when I tried petting him he got ally hiss-y when I got to his lower back around his hip. So a couple days later when the vet was open again I took him in. They said his lymph nodes were quite swollen and it seemed like some sort of infection. He had a fever, and they also did x-rays of the hip area. They sent me home with antibiotics and a pain killer.

A couple days later I got a call that they noticed a soft tissue mass in the x-ray and they wanted to see him again. So I brought him back in, and at this point he seemed to be doing so much better. After two days of the antibiotics he was playing again and being more social. So I took him in and the vet said he seemed to still be a little tender so let's put him on an extra week of antibiotics. So we did. I went home.

Three or four days later the lethargy started again I also noticed a mass on the front left bit of his chest (turns out it was an enlarged lymph node). I called the vet the same day, and went in the next. They did blood work and a biopsy. Blood work came back clean and the biopsy was not diagnostic. They decided to put him on a stronger antibiotic and hope for the best. He's been on it (along with the last of the old one) for several days now with no signs of improvement.

Last night I noticed he was limping (back right leg) and he seems to be having trouble getting in and out of the litter box (I had to switch to high sides when I got him because he loves peeing on the very edge and kept missing the box. Cats.) and just ends up peeing beside it. I don't know what else to do, and neither does my vet. My poor baby is so unhappy and clearly still in pain. If anyone can shed some light on what this could be or what I can do further I would be so appreciative.

BothSides fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 14, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Protocol7 posted:

My cat's been pulling fur. Allergy pills don't stop it, and she doesn't eat with a cone, so the next solution is both adorable and effective:

(Please excuse the lovely photo, there is something wrong with my phone!)

So has your cat been clinging to the ground and flopping against anything it thinks will help it get the sweater off? Because my cats do that whenever we dress them up :3:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mirthless posted:

So has your cat been clinging to the ground and flopping against anything it thinks will help it get the sweater off? Because my cats do that whenever we dress them up :3:

Surprisingly she has been okay with it. As much as she fights a pilling, and how feisty she can get when it comes to food, she's not done a drat thing about the sweater.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

BothSides posted:

How long have you had your cat? Since October
What food do you use? Orijen cat & kitten and wellness core wet food
When was your last vet visit? 4 days ago
How many pets in your household? Two (One other cat, female, 5 years)
How many litter boxes do you have? Two

My new kitty Lyall has FIV and has been sick since around Christmas time. Right before Christmas I noticed he wasn't playing much and had mostly been sleeping on the same chair in the dining room - very strange for him. I also noticed that when he sat flat his right hip stuck out all funny, and when I tried petting him he got ally hiss-y when I got to his lower back around his hip. So a couple days later when the vet was open again I took him in. They said his lymph nodes were quite swollen and it seemed like some sort of infection. He had a fever, and they also did x-rays of the hip area. They sent me home with antibiotics and a pain killer.

A couple days later I got a call that they noticed a soft tissue mass in the x-ray and they wanted to see him again. So I brought him back in, and at this point he seemed to be doing so much better. After two days of the antibiotics he was playing again and being more social. So I took him in and the vet said he seemed to still be a little tender so let's put him on an extra week of antibiotics. So we did. I went home.

Three or four days later the lethargy started again I also noticed a mass on the front left bit of his chest (turns out it was an enlarged lymph node). I called the vet the same day, and went in the next. They did blood work and a biopsy. Blood work came back clean and the biopsy was not diagnostic. They decided to put him on a stronger antibiotic and hope for the best. He's been on it (along with the last of the old one) for several days now with no signs of improvement.

Last night I noticed he was limping (back right leg) and he seems to be having trouble getting in and out of the litter box (I had to switch to high sides when I got him because he loves peeing on the very edge and kept missing the box. Cats.) and just ends up peeing beside it. I don't know what else to do, and neither does my vet. My poor baby is so unhappy and clearly still in pain. If anyone can shed some light on what this could be or what I can do further I would be so appreciative.

Did your vet think the swollen lymph nodes and the right leg problems were related? Unfortunately, if he's having FIV related complications (and the lymph nodes could easily be related to that), there isn't much you can do in the way of treatment. Did the pain killers work for the leg pain?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

We have two giant, healthy, male cats. They don't fit in normal pet store litter boxes very well, so we "upgraded" to a big-rear end Rubbermaid. The issue is, its walls are low enough for the cats to step in, which means one cat who aims for a side wall occasionally misses and gives us an annoying mess. I can't find any good solutions by Googling... does anyone know of a good "huge cat" litterbox we can get online, or failing that, DIY tips? I was thinking of cutting out a door from a high-walled Rubbermaid, but what would you use to reinforce the edge that is long-term piss-proof? (edit. Durr, I could sand it down. Is that the best option?)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

disheveled posted:

We have two giant, healthy, male cats. They don't fit in normal pet store litter boxes very well, so we "upgraded" to a big-rear end Rubbermaid. The issue is, its walls are low enough for the cats to step in, which means one cat who aims for a side wall occasionally misses and gives us an annoying mess. I can't find any good solutions by Googling... does anyone know of a good "huge cat" litterbox we can get online, or failing that, DIY tips? I was thinking of cutting out a door from a high-walled Rubbermaid, but what would you use to reinforce the edge that is long-term piss-proof? (edit. Durr, I could sand it down. Is that the best option?)

We had a similar issue with our cat. She loves to fling litter (sometimes poo) as far as possible when she digs in her box. What we ended up doing is buying a large rubbermaid storage bin with a lid. Cut a hole and in the lid and close the bin. Now she can dig to hearts content.

If your cats have no issues jumping and don't mind a closed in box it should keep all the pee inside. You'll just have to be mindful to wash the sides down every so often.

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks for this. I think I'm just so nervous because they're my first pets (my parents had a cat but I wasn't responsible for it, just got to do the fun playing with her bit). I did read the FAQ here and nutrition thread before I got them.

This weekend I'm preparing to take them outside on cat harnesses so we'll see how they get on :3

Also picture for your troubles of Rogue (left) and Bandit (right).

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010

Dr. Chaco posted:

Did your vet think the swollen lymph nodes and the right leg problems were related? Unfortunately, if he's having FIV related complications (and the lymph nodes could easily be related to that), there isn't much you can do in the way of treatment. Did the pain killers work for the leg pain?

He said that his lymph nodes are always sort of swollen because of the FIV (he had been treating him long before I got him) but that there must be something more than the FIV going on - so they treated for infection but that didn't seem to work. Unfortunately things seem to have gotten worse and not better. Poor thing is stumbling around like a drunk and is just not having a very nice time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the general consensus on finding a match? Is Petfinder enough, or should I look elsewhere?

I only just started, so the first result I ended on was: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24616587 I liked this one cause she seems to do well without other cats and is fine around humans even though she's rather young, but I still don't know enough to make any sort of judgment and am way far away from "ok let's go with this one". How is her temperament, does she have problems with litter/make messes, can I trust the "does not like other cats" blurb on the site, etc. There's questions to be had and I'm 100% sure I'm missing a lot of important ones.

I'm still in the consideration stage, but I'm getting more and more confident about the possibility. I've never adopted a pet myself before, so I am clueless on how to get this going. I just wanna make sure I don't gently caress up :saddowns:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Petfinder is fine, but also just going to a nearby shelter and asking the staff about a cat is good as well. I went to the humane society when I got mine having really no idea which cats were there but knowing they had a lot. I knew generally what I wanted and told the staff. They recommended a few different cats, found two that seemed to have good personalities, and adopted them that day.

You can ask if the cat has any known behavioural or health problems, but if they don't say anything you should be fine.

All cats will have some sort of weirdness to them because cat that you'll have to get used to or work on.

As for the clueless and new part, when I first adopted my cats only about 2 months after I moved out of my parent's place I panicked that holy poo poo I'm responsible for the lives of these animals shitshitshitshitshit. That lasted a few days before realizing that cats are pretty easy and that responsibility is totally worth it for all they give. Now if they are ever away, the house feels quite empty without them.

All this to say, if you see a cat you like (like the one you linked) and you have the necessities like a litter box and food just pull the trigger and get it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know I'm overthinking this, but I always end up with a new worry or question every five seconds. Like for example, I live in an apartment and how do I make sure the pet doesn't just bolt out the front door whenever I open it? I need to get landlord permission too, don't I? I And what if they get sick? Do I take them to any local vet? Or are there good ones and bad ones? Random things like that.

I'm sure it's way less complicated than I'm making it. I suppose I'll figure it out as I go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pollyanna posted:

I know I'm overthinking this, but I always end up with a new worry or question every five seconds. Like for example, I live in an apartment and how do I make sure the pet doesn't just bolt out the front door whenever I open it? I need to get landlord permission too, don't I? I And what if they get sick? Do I take them to any local vet? Or are there good ones and bad ones? Random things like that.

I'm sure it's way less complicated than I'm making it. I suppose I'll figure it out as I go.

Motor does this a lot. I just grab him and put him back in (sometimes I let him wander around the hallway until he gets board and goes back inside). Not really that big of a deal. If you really don't want your cat in the hallway you might want to get one of those scat cat mats though...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

-When one kitten showed interest in the outside, I got her a collar. When she is in the living room, always a collar. But yeah, go with a mat or another deterrent.

-Some apartments have pet limits, some have weight limits, some charge monthly rent per pet, some don't care. All in all it should be laid out in the rental agreement you initially signed.

-Look up vets like you would look up anything else. My vet I got through word of mouth recommendation from a coworker. I have since moved, but I still go there.

-You might be making it more complicated, but at least you're asking questions. Better to ask a lot of questions than not care.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I shall be joining the cat club tomorrow, so I've bookmarked this thread :c00l:

We adopted a 2-year old tabby from a local shelter, he has FIV so he can't go outside (though that's not the reason he's at the shelter - he had to be rehomed because his former owner lost his job and got a new one that involves too much travel away from home). This suits us since we live in a first-floor flat anyway, but since we both work full-time I still worry a little that he'll get bored during the weekdays - even if he's used to it. If we were to adopt another cat to keep him company, it would have to be another FIV cat. But does anyone have any advice for keeping a solitary cat entertained when everyone is out?

Also, has anyone done an FIV megapost, or know of any good and reliable sources of info for keeping an FIV cat? The shelter already gave us a run-down and we're happy, but it would be good to have some more info to hand.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

I shall be joining the cat club tomorrow, so I've bookmarked this thread :c00l:

But does anyone have any advice for keeping a solitary cat entertained when everyone is out?

Also, has anyone done an FIV megapost, or know of any good and reliable sources of info for keeping an FIV cat? The shelter already gave us a run-down and we're happy, but it would be good to have some more info to hand.

Cat entertainment solution 1: Get another cat! I believe (but cannot prove) that FIV and Non-FIV cats can live together. As far as I've heard, cats can get vaccinated against FIV and can typically live together just fine. I think a few Pet Island people currently have this living arrangement with their cats? Or you could just go ahead and get another lovely FIV+ when you get tired of this cat knocking your poo poo off of every shelf.

Other than that, get several different kinds of toys for the cat, but rotate them so he doesn't have access to the same toys all the time. It might make an old toy seem "new" and give him more excitement. When I first got our pair of cats, I hid treats around the house to encourage them to explore and give them something to do. You can also see if he'll take to feeding from something like this feeder ball to stretch meal time out and give him something to ponder over.

Best of luck with your new buddy! Please put some photos up once he gets adjusted to his new home! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
:siren: I have a serious issue here :siren:

My cat knows how to open doors. Ok, a lot of cats learn this.

My cat knows how to unlock my apartment door and open it.

How do I stop this? I've had the ssscat air canisters by the door, which work until the air runs out and then he has free reign over it again. He doesn't respond to aluminum foil or anything "uncomfortable" by the door. He'll just withstand it. I come home to my apartment door unlocked and slightly open, I don't know how long it'll take until he learns he can stick his paw through the door and crack it open just a hair more to escape. He really only does this when I'm not home.

How can I stop this? I'm at a lost.

Here's the jerk (top) and his jerk friend: