Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII - April

Moscow Daily News posted:

POTATOES SURVIVE RAKERS 9TH INNING RALLY, WIN SEASON OPENER 5-3

Moscow, ID -- When Super-League Commissar Smasher Dynamo sent forth the call for assistance with the Expansion Cup, few expected then-former Idaho Potatoes owner Grinnblade to answer the call, given Smasher's distaste for the Idahoan's... well, everything. Even fewer expected the Commissar to actually accept Grinnblade's offer.

Even fewer still expected Grinnblade to bring back the Potatoes, citing the obvious ethical issues of running a team in the league you are overseeing -- but Grinnblade waved those concerns away during a pre-game ceremony at the Kibbie Dome. "Oh please, like rigging anything wouldn't be immediately sniffed out. Now can we play some drat baseball?"

And play they did, with the Potatoes scoring two runs on five hits in the second inning and a further 3 runs in the 5th on 5 hits and a costly throwing error by Rakers 3rd baseman Jimmie Dykes. Potatoes starter J.R. Richards did his part, pitching 7 quality innings in which he gave up 1 run on only 3 hits. Billy Hoeft was brought in for the final two innings as Richards had thrown almost 120 pitches, and got through the 8th with no issues.

The 9th would not go quite as smoothly. Two hits and a walk later, Hoeft faced a bases-loaded situation with no outs. He would get Mickey Cochrane to pop out in foul territory, but then would walk Ty Cobb to bring in the Rakers' second run of the game. Eddie Collins then would get under a fastball and pop out to deep center, allowing Del Pratt to tag and score from third, bringing the score to 5-3. At this point, Grinnblade had seen enough and called for his closer. The Imperial March began to play as Idaho closer Ken Forsch walked to the mound.

One reporter claimed to hear Commissar Dynamo complain in the press box to Grinnblade, "Really?! That's what you're loving going with? Star Wars?! I'm going to loving regret this, aren't I?"

Forsch would then walk the bases loaded again. Dynamo is then reported as turning to Grinnblade and laughing. Jimmie Foxx came up to the plate with the opportunity to put the Rakers up by two, but promptly lined to center field on a second-pitch slider to end the game. Grinnblade then turned to Dynamo to say something, and Dynamo was reported as saying "If the phrase 'lack of faith' leaves your mouth in the next 10 minutes I will loving end you myself."

Patagonian Post-Intelligencer posted:

RAINWATER'S RETURN INSPIRES POSTMODERNISTS TO EXTRA-INNINGS WIN

Puenta Arenas, Peru -- Ever since NotThatSamBeckett submitted his roster request to the office of the Super-League, one question was on everyone's mind: would the Commissar's office allow the return of the enigmatic reliever Denny Rainwater?

The season's first five games came and went with no answer, and shortly before the first pitch of the second game in the Postmodernists' home opening series against the newcomer Tijuana Mules, NotThatSamBeckett was preparing to speak to reporters about his displeasure at the lack of communication when a small, nondescript box was placed on his podium by a masked figure, who then quickly filed out. A smile crept across Beckett's face, and he left without another word.

The game went on as normal, with the Postmodernists taking a 1-0 lead off a Ken Singleton double in the 2nd inning. Then the starting pitchers, Orel Hershiser for the Mules and Freddy Garcia for the Postmodernists, would take control, dueling until a 3-run 6th inning would place the Tijuana Mules in the driver's seat. During the 7th inning stretch, a small raincloud formed over the pitcher's mound and a single drop was seen to fall before the cloud dispersed. NotThatSamBeckett was seen nodding serenely.

Meteorological impossibility aside, the event seemed to spark the Postmodernists, who would score one run in the 7th and one in the 8th to tie the game. The game would remain tied until the middle of the 11th, when another delay was caused by a sudden severe thunderstorm knocked out power to the stadium as torrential rains began to fall.

A bright white light materialized in the Postmodernists' bullpen, and though the speakers were blown, music began to play as a figure emerged. The music continued to play, the lights came back on and the rains stopped, revealing Denny Rainwater standing on the warmup mound. After a moment of confusion, the hometown crowd seemed to realize what had happened and applauded as Rainwater silently took his spot on the bench.

For his part, Super-League newcomer Bograt was heard exclaiming "¿Qué volar carajo?" repeatedly as play resumed. The Postmodernists seemed to take heart from the return of their unlikely icon, taking advantage of two singles and an error by Tony Gwynn to swiftly bring
Mike Piazza across the plate for the winning run.

Afterwards, NotThatSamBeckett would only say that "the Rain had come". Bograt's comments were slightly more colorful: "What the gently caress is this poo poo? First the Aquamen, now this poo poo? Mierda santos, what have I gotten myself into?!"

STATS AND ANALYSIS

Analysis

That's an Uggla-y start. :v:

Analysis

Hmm, I have no idea why your lineup is that and not what you posted. I'm sure I set it like you had it -- then again, this seems to be working decently at the moment.

Analysis

Your starters are going DEEP. The question is, can they keep doing it? :ssh: No.

Analysis

Hmm. Your pitchers are off to a good start. Your hitting? Not so much. Don't panic but you may want to keep an eye on things and start thinking about solutions if improvement doesn't come.

Analysis

Seven games with ten runs or more scored. Five of those in a goddamn row. Yeah, I think you might have a good offense. And your pitching is also doing pretty drat good too. All in all, a solid start to the Cup, I'd say.

Analysis

The good news? Bob Walk pitched a 3-hit complete game shutout in his first start. The bad news? He blew up immediately afterwards.

Analysis

Well.. uh... I did not expect us to be leading after the first month, I'll say that much.

Analysis

Not the best start, and on top of that you lose your LF for a large chunk of the year.

Analysis

Good to see mid-90s Greg Maddux is doing as good for you as he did for the first iteration of the Potatoes so far. Otherwise, you may want to keep an eye on Gillespie.

Analysis

Ouch. Your A-Rod is not off to a good start despite one hell of a roll.

Analysis

That rotation :stare:

Analysis

Not bad, and although Fisk is off to a slow start, that potential rating is enticing.

Analysis

Too early to say much yet.

Analysis

Uh... I have no idea why I didn't mention Olerud's injury. My bad. Also, yeah, you got Rainwater back... BUT AT WHAT COST?!

Analysis

Usually I'd say "it's early" -- but unless you're INTENTIONALLY trying to tank, I'd suggest a serious once over of your roster, and I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later.

Analysis

Hopp! :3:

Analysis

Not much jumping out at me at the moment. Encarnacion may not be the answer at 3rd, but as I've said, it's early.

Analysis

By far the best record of the first month, and for good reason. If it ain't broke, I probably wouldn't fix it.

Division Standings

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Ugh. Guys continue to step up, but I don't know how long my depleted lineup can keep me afloat. But Intercontinental Champions never say die!

Spreadsheet updated.
- Matthews sent to the old folks' home, or the morgue, or whatever. Jim Delahanty makes his "triumphant" return.
- McCutchen has regressed so let's pray that Puckett regresses the other direction.
- Cash and Aparicio in against LHP to give Gehrig and Yount an extra day off. Delahanty too, because why not? For gently caress's sake, people, get some more LHP on your staffs!
- Shuffle those lineup deck chairs in general.
- Big rotation changes. I finally get a chance to get Lolich back in for the horror that is SLVIII Milt Pappas, plus we shuffle things around a bit due to the off day etc. Please make sure that Lolich is set to start the first game of the week. (Starters this week should go Lolich Hendrix Glavine Bender Hoss Lolich.) Bill Freehan personally catches for three dudes now that Fisk's OVR is all the way down to 82.
- Some slider business to get more active on the bases and subs.
- 5 more weeks. Just keep it together for five more weeks.
- Please don't sweep me anyone.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Grinnblade posted:

Analysis

Usually I'd say "it's early" -- but unless you're INTENTIONALLY trying to tank, I'd suggest a serious once over of your roster, and I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later.

:stare:

Geez, and I thought I started the Expansion Cup with a lovely pitching roster.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Wow you weren't kidding when you said my teams talent was underperforming. At least I know where to improve. Anyways Put Shawkley in the minors for the duration of his injury and move Urban Shocker to 5th starter. The rest moves up one position.

In addition lets put Bobby Wallace as Shortstop for a month to see whether Mogul likes him better than young Tinker.

Lastly let's try Jorge Orta at 2B instead of Evers.

What would be a good strategy setting for a pitching focused team like mine?

CVE fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 15, 2013

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Jobbers gonna job. Well at least we're going to see another module! Change to come.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Hooray for unsustainable winning percentages! I don't know what got into Del Pratt, but I like it a lot (although I'd still like to try and trade for an SS if possible).

Roster changes: Send Witt and Sutton down for Darwin and Grich. Make Darwin SP3, while Grich just sits on the bench as an extra bat. When Sutton is healthy, flip him and Darwin back again.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
The Potatoes in first place? How...fortunate of them.

Anyway, I have poo poo to do today, so the injury report is going to be a bit earlier than usual. I know that you will all have the fortitude to weather this tragedy.

Dynamo League Week 16 Injury Report

Albany Pessimists
Nellie Fox (2B) (Depression) - 7 days

Florida Dickshots
Andre Dawson (OF) (Went on a magical adventure to learn the true meaning of family) - 17 days

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Josh Hamilton (OF) (Found an exciting new addiction...to life! Also pills.) - Out for Season

Web 2.0 Bloggers
Jesse Orosco (The Set-up one) (Not the worst thing to happen to the Bloggers this week) - 18 days

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grinnblade posted:

Analysis

The good news? Bob Walk pitched a 3-hit complete game shutout in his first start. The bad news? He blew up immediately afterwards.

I knew I shouldn't of given Bob Walk explosives.

Well, promote John Smiley to the rotation, bring up Gott to fill in for long relief.

Also, send down Lou Brock and bring up George Hendrick.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Oh god, my ERA, its hard to sit on them to see if it rides down a bit.

Let's try throwing Richie Hebner at third base and moving him up to third in the batting order.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My pitching makes me sad. I saw it coming, I just didn't see how bad it would be.

I'm okay with my lineup though. Wish I had a better 1B and not so many average COFs.

Anyone want some decent OF help for either a #3/#4 starter or a couple decent relievers?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Send down Whitey Kurowski. One Whitey is plenty.

Bring up Bob Cerv.

Have Bob Cerv be the DH against LHP.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -2
Let's flip flop Burdette and Liddle.
Put Gehrig at 1B and Adcock at DH.
Where did Kelly Johnson come from?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Of all first starts I expected, "decent pitches, lovely hitting" was probably near the bottom. Maybe my hitters just need some music to psyche them up? Let's try giving them a dose of Back Alley Space Boy to help them get there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQEc9hjC6ys Come on, guys! All you need is burning youth!

Also, you say my pitchers are off to a good start, but I see Hargan with a 8+ ERA :suicide:, so let's see what we can do to fix that.

Well... Tiant had a few starter spots in his career, let's work with that. Can't be any worse, right? Drop down Steve Hargan, call up Luis Tiant in his place. And since I didn't have this set up for my first month and I don't want Sims' knees to explode, make Alomar Tiant's personal catcher.

As for Relief Pitching... ergh. Let's do some rearranging. New Relief Pitching should look like this (changes bolded):

• Closer: Julian Tavarez
  • Setup: Frank Williams
  • Short Relief: Jose Mesa (From Long Relief)
  • Short Relief: Rob Murphy (From Middle Relief)
  • Middle Relief: Slow Joe Doyle (From AAA)
  • Middle Relief: Paul Assenmacher (From Short Relief)
  • Long Relief: Eric Plunk (From Middle Relief)
  • AAA: John Franco (From Short Relief)

Hopefully that won't destroy whatever weird, fragile balance my pitching staff currently has. :cripes:

Edit 2: Who the gently caress is Chris Huxham and where did he come from? :crossarms:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 15, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Move Jon Rauch to CL
Move Chad Cordero to Setup
Move Luis Ayala to Short Relief
Send Glenn White (Who?!) to the gates of Hell Minors
Bring up Lou Warneke (if he's uninjured?) (bring up Cory Stieb if he is)

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

quote:

Puenta Arenas, Peru

Argh.

quote:

"the Rain had come"

Yay!

DL Park and E'ery Day Eddie Guardado, call up Valdez to take Park's rotation spot.

New Bullpen Alignment:
CL Tippy
SU Putz
SR Brothers
SR Osuna
MR Moyer ('04)
LR Chacin

This should give me another bench spot, which should be filled with Cargo.

Karros will have to continue being awful at 1B until Olerud recovers. Discontinue the 1B platoon, btw.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pander posted:

My pitching makes me sad. I saw it coming, I just didn't see how bad it would be.

I'm okay with my lineup though. Wish I had a better 1B and not so many average COFs.

Anyone want some decent OF help for either a #3/#4 starter or a couple decent relievers?
Would you be interested in Tim Lincecum?

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

Well, a handful of disappointing losses aside, coming out of the first month 17-9 is not bad at all. A lot better than I expected. Since I don't really have many other decent options for 3B, Encarnacion sticks around for a bit. I don't wanna tweak too much for the moment, until I see some problems forming. Just a little bit of lineup switch-around to see if we can't optimize scoring potential.

1. Rickey Henderson
2. Roberto Alomar
3. Tony Gwynn
4. Adam Dunn/Dave Winfield
5. Justin Morneau/Eddie Murray
6. Benito Santiago
7. Rich Aurilia
8. Edwin Encarnacion
9. Pitcher

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Revenant Threshold posted:

Would you be interested in Tim Lincecum?

Why the hell would he be in long relief for you? Is he cursed?

Also not sure if I had anything you'd be interested in that I'd be willing to part with. Either I'd be an complete idiot to give them up (Mantle, Musial, Berra, Slaughter) or they'd be a marginal upgrade for you at best.

Throw something out if you can see something.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Smasher, obviously my team is a meta-commentary on the transitory nature of glory, whether of an undercard title or of a vast empire.

Eventually, you go bankrupt and get embarrassed at Suez, or Eddie Collins and Jeff Bagwell cannot hit. The end is inevitable.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CVE posted:

Wow you weren't kidding when you said my teams talent was underperforming. At least I know where to improve. Anyways Put Shawkley in the minors for the duration of his injury and move Urban Shocker to 5th starter. The rest moves up one position.

In addition lets put Bobby Wallace as Shortstop for a month to see whether Mogul likes him better than young Tinker.

Lastly let's try Jorge Orta at 2B instead of Evers.

What would be a good strategy setting for a pitching focused team like mine?

Trading me Carl Lundgren for Gene Woodling to replace George Stone might help!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

tatankatonk posted:

What year is your Nomar?
My Nomar is 2004 vintage.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Hey Expansion owners! I have an injured 1958 Al Kaline, and I noticed a lot of you have terrible outfields, so if you'd like to make a trade, now's the time.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

theacox posted:

Where did Kelly Johnson come from?

Well this is embarrassing. Kelly Johnson appears to be a holdover from the 2011 Arizona Diamondbacks roster I edited to make the Colliders. :negative:

Monathin posted:

Edit 2: Who the gently caress is Chris Huxham and where did he come from? :crossarms:

Chris Huxham is a rookie auto-generated by Mogul to fill roster space.

Pander posted:

Send Glenn White (Who?!) to the gates of Hell Minors

Same to you although how he snuck into your bullpen I have no loving clue.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Chris Huxham is a rookie auto-generated by Mogul to fill roster space.

Okay then, let's just keep him in the minors for now then. I thought a 30-man was a full roster. One of my dudes didn't vanish, did they? :ohdear: Lousy Vault security...

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Monathin posted:

Okay then, let's just keep him in the minors for now then. I thought a 30-man was a full roster. One of my dudes didn't vanish, did they? :ohdear: Lousy Vault security...

Nope, discounting the Huxster you still have 30 men on your roster. I think Mogul just expects to have so many batters and pitchers and auto-generates to fill gaps.

Additionally, for future reference to ALL EC newcomers: If a player has a 50 or 60 rating like that, you have no idea where they came from, and I haven't specifically called them out as a "what the gently caress are you DOING" move, it's probably a Mogul auto-generation.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

dubsteppin: Interested in a trade? I could use a shiny reliever, and it looks like you could use an upgrade at C.

To kick things off...Cooper Walker (or is it Walker Cooper?) plus a member of my bullpen TBNL for K-Rod and Assenmacher.

Also: I wish I had chosen better initially. '42 Clyde Shoun woulda been better than a couple of my guys I bet.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

tatankatonk posted:

Hey Expansion owners! I have an injured 1958 Al Kaline, and I noticed a lot of you have terrible outfields, so if you'd like to make a trade, now's the time.

What are you looking for, Quaker?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Beltran for Kaline?

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Okay, not a bad start. Rotation is looking better than I expected.

Alright, let's put an end to the Ventura/Reynolds platoon experiment. Start Ventura at 3B for all games. Continue to fill in with Reynolds, Wieters, etc. when players are fatigued.

Also, replace Adam Jones with Rickey Henderson for a month-- I'm just curious to see how the old bugger does at the top of the order.

All in all not a bad start. I think I got some pretty good rolls, though my outfield is a little worse than expected. Rodriguez will pick up his game eventually. Just a question-- when players are tired mogul fills in for them for a game to give them some rest, right? Because otherwise I might have to throw in more complicated lineups to include Wieters every once in a while. I want Piazza at full strength as much as possible.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Our starting rotation is a bunch of Dolph Zigglers facing a bunch of John Cenas. Gonna give it another month before changes.

With Tony Olivo's career as a jobber looking to last almost as long as Friar Ferguson's did, let's insert the SL equivalent to Jinder Mahal, Brady Anderson into the starting lineup. I guess Jeff Conine can get called up to sit on the bench and tell funny road stories or something.

Vs. lefties

1. 2B Rod Carew
2. CF Carlos Beltran
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Harmon Killebrew
5. LF Frank Howard
6. 3B David Wright
7. SS Cal Ripken Jr
8. C Chris Hoiles
9. Pitcher Spot

vs. righties

1. SS Jose Reyes
2. 2B Rod Carew
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Rafael Palmeiro
5. CF Carlos Beltran
6. 3B David Wright
7. LF Brady Anderson
8. C Chris Hoiles
9. Pitcher Spot

vs. lefties w/ DH (just in case)

1. 2B Rod Carew
2. CF Carlos Beltran
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Harmon Killebrew
5. LF Frank Howard
6. 3B David Wright
7. DH Rafael Palmeiro
8. SS Cal Ripken Jr.
9. C Chris Hoiles

vs. righties w/ DH (just in case)

1. SS Jose Reyes
2. 2B Rod Carew
3. RF Gary Sheffield
4. 1B Rafael Palmeiro
5. CF Carlos Beltran
6. 3B David Wright
7. DH Frank Howard
8. LF Brady Anderson
9. C Chris Hoiles

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

So it looks like a 20 year old only played 5 games in 2002 K Rod is 90 rated in BB Mogul. Who knew? :woop:

Pitching Changes

CL - K Rod
Setup - Williams
Short - Percival
Short - Shields
Middle - Donnelly
Long - Ortiz

Lineup

Vs Left and Right will now be the same

1. Duston - SS
2. Cavarreta -LF
3. Glaus - 3B
4. Sanburg - 2B
5. Salmon - DH
6. Grace - 1B
7. Dawson - RF
8. Pafko - CF
9 - Molina - C (4 on 1 Start for Girardi)

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 16, 2013

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Put Raines in for Dawson. Woo.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Pander posted:

I got a perfectly good Scott Spiezio '02 if you have any decent pitching to offer.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 16, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ScottyJSno posted:

I got a perfectly good Scott Spiezio '02 if you have any decent pitching to offer.

That is not a thing. And I have no decent pitching, it's why I'm trading for pitching.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Rube Benton in for Marquard during the injured period, and please move Tommy Bridges to SR to fill the gap.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
blackmongoose, you're (still) up in the draft. I'm gonna skip you and pick at 10 EST.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

The Merry Marauder posted:

blackmongoose, you're (still) up in the draft. I'm gonna skip you and pick at 10 EST.

Sorry, no one announced I was up so I didn't realize it was my pick. I guess I'll take 93 Mark Wohlers and put him in Worthington's spot for now.

Finger-Bangers up next.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Toot, toot. We will draft Eric Gagne and pretend it is the unhittable bat-misser of '02-'04.

mrnoun is up.

I am selling first basemen, expansion owners. Why waste an extremely valuable dispersal pick on a 1B when you can have '05 Konerko, the righty-mashing '64 Don Mincher, rookie Jason Giambi, or the colossal patience of '48 Ferris Fain? And probably some other guys, too. My full roster is available in my post history.

I also have a number of spare catchers who would be better than what many of you have - Earl Battey, Thurman Munson, the elite arm of Ramon Hernandez....

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Toot, toot. We will draft Eric Gagne and pretend it is the unhittable bat-misser of '02-'04.

mrnoun is up.

I am selling first basemen, expansion owners. Why waste an extremely valuable dispersal pick on a 1B when you can have '05 Konerko, the righty-mashing '64 Don Mincher, rookie Jason Giambi, or the colossal patience of '48 Ferris Fain? And probably some other guys, too. My full roster is available in my post history.

I also have a number of spare catchers who would be better than what many of you have - Earl Battey, Thurman Munson, the elite arm of Ramon Hernandez....

What do you want for Fain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League 15: Realignment

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

W'S TAKE L-D AWARD IN 9-8 NAILBITER

Bolton- All excitement.

The amazing conclusion to this game started in the top of the seventh inning. Alexander had been a bit off all day, but the W's still held a 6-4 lead, and ForeverBWFC, trusted his best starter, chose to have faith that Alexander could continue. That was a mistake, as Chase Utley singled and John Kruk homered to tie the game at six. A frustrated BWFC then called for Kazuhiro Sasaki to eliminate the Gumshoe threat, which he did with panache, striking out the next three batters in a row.

In the bottom of the seventh, the W's struck back. Lou Whitaker hit a triple to lead off the inning and, two outs later, Babe Ruth drove him home with a single to give the W's a 7-6 lead. Delahanty and Rolen then got an infield single and a walk, respectively, to load the bases, and threaten to extend the lead even more, but it was as if there was some cosmic force that would not allow such an anit-climax, and Al Simmons struck out to end the inning.

But the Gumshoes were not beaten yet. After a Grich groundout to begin the inning, Harold Baines hit a single to get the tying run aboard with one out. Sasaki, seemingly distracted by this mistake, threw a wild pitch past Ted Simmons, moving Baines to second. This proved costly as second greatest hero of the Gumshoes, Barry Larkin, hit a double, scoring Baines and tying the game once again. Bearing down, Sasaki induced a Downing groundout, but with the game tied and a runner in scoring position, BWFC wanted a new pitcher to handle this situation, and summoned Eri Yoshida from the bullpen. This was a very risky move. Yoshida had a fine knuckleball, but that was all she had, and in a park like Memorial Coliseum, with its very short right field fence, one errant throw could cost the W's the game. Making things worse, the next two batters were left-handed. A right-handed knuckleballer against left-handed hitters in a park that is only 250 feet to the right-field foul pole was a recipe for disaster.

With first base open, Yoshida decided to work around Chase Utley and pitch to John Kruk instead. Kruk had already homered the previous inning, but he was still less of a power threat that Utley, and that was what Yoshida was worried about. But Kruk seemed unable to time the knuckler properly, and grounded out on the second pitch of the at-bat. Once more, the game was tied.

And, once more, the W's were ready to do something about that. After Asdrubal Cabrera opened the inning with a strike out, Ted Simmons tied the game with a long home run right into the center field stands. The W's could not add to their lead, but going into the ninth inning with an 8-7 would have to do.

Unfortunately, it would not do, as Yoshida's luck ran out on the very first batter of the inning, as Rickey Henderson, turned on a knuckleball early in the at-bat and hit it squarely out of the park to once more tie the game. Yoshida managed to end the inning without further incident, but once more the W's would have to mount a rally to win this game.

That did not take long. After the inevitable Moseby strikeout, Babe Ruth strolled up to the plate. Babe Ruth had better things to do than play an extra-innings game, and so blasted David Wells' first pitch of the at-bat into the stands for the walkoff home run. With the sweep of the series, and given the heroism displayed by the W's, the Eazy W's became the second team to hold the Larkin-Downing Award.

Box Score

Don May posted:

VENGEFUL LANDERS TAKE LARKIN-DOWNING AWARD

Bolton- That didn't last long.

With a 7-3 win, the Landers completed a three-game sweep of the W's in Bolton, and thereafter took the Larkin-Downing award, which sparked a controversy, as this would be the first time this title changed hands on a series sweep, and there was some debate about whether this particular award could be won in such a manner.

mrnoun, the eternally frustrated owner of the Landers, cut through the confusion as only he could, "I don't care. I'm taking this title. I beat the W's three straight times in Bolton, that's heroic enough, drat it. Now last season, I won a title, and then challenged the Bobbleheads to come and take it from me. And they did. That was a mistake. But it's going to be different this time. The wildcard is back, I'm not going to win 100 games and miss the playoffs again. And, when I do reach the playoffs, that's when I'll get my revenge on all of these teams that won't do us all a favor and just die. I am so loving tired of these teams. I'm tired of the Eazy W's and there owner who barely gives a poo poo and has no idea what he's doing. I'm tired of the loving Marauder dynasty, where he and his stagnant teams just kind of sit there while Marauder pretends to be a diabolical genius. I'm tired of the Gumshoes, I'll always be grateful for what they to Bruzer, but they should have died a long time ago. I'm tired of CthulhuDreams and his drat spreadsheets and his insane belief that he's somehow so much loving smarter than the rest of us. I'm tired of Smasher Dynamo and his lovely league that never, ever changes, as if doing the same poo poo over and over again is ever going to make things better. And I'm tired of mr-loving-noun, who can't even get himself one loving playoff win. And I'm drat tired of being tired. So, I'm going to keep this Title, and I'm going to hold on to it forever, and you are all just going to have to watch as I prog rock out and win the entire Super-League! This is happening!"

For their part, the W's were more philosophical, with owner ForeverBWFC noting that, "Eazy come, eazy go...little high, little low, anyway way the winds blows...doesn't really matter me to me....to me...hey, did you guys know that Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar? I just found that out on Wikipedia. But, yeah, mrnoun is right, I don't really mind losing the Larking-Downs Award that much. I'm glad he was able to have this victory, the man deserves it. As for me, I believe that the greatest victory in life is living well, trophies will just weigh you down, which is why I, for one, am positively delighted that the Bolton Wanderers, my local club, have decided to eschew any sort of winning. That's a model we can all aspire to." Asked what if he blamed the defeat on a lack of focus, ForeverBWFC trailed off onto a long discussion on the nature of cider, which repeatedly referred to as "a gentleman's drink."

GAME NOTES

-drat YOU, MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEBY!

Box Score

Don May posted:

Oh, and then the Gumshoes managed to win the Heavyweight Title from the Air Raids, in a series so seemingly pre-ordained that no attempt will be made to recap it. Instead, enjoy the ramblings of Air Raids owner Manifunk Destiny:

"Holy gently caress, Don Slaught is a detective! Holy loving poo poo! That is so loving awesome! Does he solve real crimes? Holy gently caress! I need a detective. Last night, when I was out getting some Funyuns, someone stole my car. And...wait...no, wait, I think I took the bus to the 7-11, and I just forgot about that when I was in the store. Okay, okay, then someone stole my memory of not taking my car to the 7-11, because I totally was sure that I driven it there. It's a mystery man, only Detective Don Slaught can help me. Oh, by the way, when the gently caress am I going to do something about my rotation, because this poo poo has gotten ridiculous."

Detective Don Slaught, who had the day off as he usually did, investigated the case and, after three barroom fights and a high-speed chase through the streets of Spokane concluded, "It's clear the perp here was society. Now, if it were up to me, I'd have society hear a lecture from Associate Professor Fisty and Vice Chancellor Knuckles but, given the intangible nature of society, I'm not exactly sure how that would work. I guess I could punch out every resident in Spokane, but I'm a busy man so, instead, I'd like everyone reading this to punch the next person they see, in the hopes that this wave of violence will eventually reach Spokane, and teach those chuckleheads an important lesson about not stealing other people's memories. That sounds harsh, but it's the only way they'll learn."

Commissar Dynamo has promised to never do a Air Raids-Gumshoes Game of the Week again as penance.

Box Score

Television: It's on TV

: The Biosparks are back again for more TV Title Defense, and they'll face the Maths, who are trying to win their fourth TV Title.
: Each of these teams have had their moments, but neither have looked good overall.
: And the Biosparks will shutout the Maths in Game 1.

: Maths return the favor, and we'll go to a decisive Game 3.
: These two teams appear rather evenly matched, if neither appear to be true contenders at the moment.

: And the Biosparks will retain! Of course, in the loaded Senor Goodtimes Division, that doesn't get them close to getting out of fourth place, but it's something.
: The Biosparks just have so many holes in their lineup. Babe Ruth can only do so much.

: And here come the Phoenixes to try and take the TV Title for their own foul purposes.
: It looks like the Phoenixes' bullpen will blow the game, and that's going to make it that much harder for the Phoenixes to win here.

: Phoenixes roar back and win big.
: But it still only counts as one win. If the Phoenixes want to win the TV Title, they'll have to win Game 3.

: And they will not, and the Biosparks retain again!
: Well, at least they have that going for them.

: Man, I'm tired. Daily updates kind of suck.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Not much to be done but hope you can sneak by the Phoenixes at some point.

Analysis

Kiner is just not the guy for you, I think.

Analysis

So...Keith Hernandez is back and should probably be your first baseman again.

Analysis

Cruise Control.

Analysis

Looks like this Falken is having trouble flying...

I'm tired, what do you want from me?

Analysis

For the most part, one championship is as good as another.

Analysis

Getting close to taking their division back, but they need to rest some players at some point.

Analysis

That infield. That loving infield.

Analysis

The Mashers mash. It is what they do. It is who they are.

Analysis

Whatever you did has disrupting the equilibrium of your team, and that might prove to be a real problem if you can't fix it and soon.

Analysis

Ray Lankford is going to be the death of you.

Analysis

Part of me admires your loyalty to Joe Sewell. I'll make sure to include something about that in your obit.

Analysis

The Biosparks are Babe, the Goose and dumb luck.

Analysis

Three good hitters, two decent pitchers, and 20 pieces of deadweight on your active roster.

Analysis

Well, you've got an eleven game lead and your biggest problem (Lloyd Moseby), is going to be solved in a few weeks when Snider comes back. So, carry on.

Analysis

Half of your lineup is great, the other half is terrible. And terrible is winning.

Standings and Leaders