Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

saltylopez posted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323689604578220132665726040.html#project%3DWEALTH0105%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

An infographic helpfully explaining the tax changes to the "average" American.

All these examples have investment income equal to or greater than what I gross in a year.

When did Eric Holder retire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Seriously, where and how the gently caress do I go to make 230,000 as a single person?

Wall St and sell out, respectively.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Ramadu posted:

Seriously, where and how the gently caress do I go to make 230,000 as a single person?

I'll let the late Bill Hicks sum it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D90lJ2RJg

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ramadu posted:

A small sterile room underneath the NYSE where they use lasers to burn out the part of your brain that feels compassion and then wire you full of warez that link you into the mutual fund overmind.

Lachrymal hemorrhaging and alienation from the basic touchstones of humanity are a small price to pay for leveraging power of this potency.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Seoinin posted:

A small sterile room underneath the NYSE where they use lasers to burn out the part of your brain that feels compassion and then wire you full of warez that link you into the mutual fund overmind.

Lachrymal hemorrhaging and alienation from the basic touchstones of humanity are a small price to pay for leveraging power of this potency.

This sounds literally like a Francis E Dec rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLhnts9-oQ

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spacedad posted:

This sounds literally like a Francis E Dec rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLhnts9-oQ

Would you believe that I managed to pick up the phrase "Gangster Computer God" somehow without ever once seeing one of these videos? I think it was an easter egg in the first Myth game.

e. although if you read interviews with high-powered traders and hedge managers they come off as being not too far removed from Gibsonian automatons that exist to execute meaningless transactions until the piles of money they've been entrusted with become larger piles of money through sheer financial witchcraft. I saw this one where the guy straight up says something to the effect of "I sleep at my office, I haven't seen my wife in almost a month. I supposedly have a kid I'm neglecting, but christ knows how THAT happened."

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 15, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

The only reason I think Hannity is an act is from a guy I know from the radio show after mine. He said he's hung out with him and that he's got gay friends and all that. He hasn't seen him in like five years, so maybe we went off the deep end.

I heard he has black friends too!

It's almost like conservatives intentionally keep minority friends so they can keep pushing policy that is unambiguously harmful to those minority groups but continue deluding themselves into believing that they're not amoral privileged pieces of poo poo.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It also doesn't matter one bit whether they believe what they say or not because their audiences still believe them and they're taking a huge poo poo all over American political discourse. I mean, even artificial poo poo made to sound, look and feel exactly like natural poo poo is just going to be poo poo in the end.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

How come according to republicans I have a luxurious state job, but this woman makes 5X my income and manages to be a struggling single-parent?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The same way Republicans can tell me to my face that $200,000 just isn't rich anymore and then complain that poor people on welfare have it too easy in the same conversation. It's two repeated talking points and never the two shall meet in their brains.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I generally pay attention to the writer identity instead of the newspaper/source identity but, even if you leave aside the politics, when the NYT and the WSJ start talking in the 2nd person about finances the readership they care about has really come in focus. I don't know if this is different than it used to be, or if the taboo on talking money has loosened enough that it's just clearer now, or what. Part of it is probably just that New York City is skewing even richer (A.K.A. poor people are being priced out).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FetusSlapper posted:

Wait wait.. I like hamburgers? I like .. air. and liquids.. Could he be a.... hooman? The whiteness, the nothingness... Kind of a stretch for a mighty boosh clip but, you know what, all this politics is really depressing. I had more but it dealt with a poorly thought out idea about farmers who still want to make a living and people who still want to eat, but most farmland is corporate owned, so that kind of failure seems to be serious.

Until we see him drink root beer we have no evidence he is hu-man.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Ramadu posted:

A large meth lab hidden beneath an industrial laundry facility. Alternatively, in an RV.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Why do all these right-wing radio personalities havethree and four hour blocks of time for their shows? Is it just the value of reinforcement of ideas?

Also, is anyone talking about how there are now inconsistencies in the Sandy Hook story? My co-worker who listens to Rush is now talking about how a rifle was left in a vehicle and some other crap.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Eulogistics posted:

Also, is anyone talking about how there are now inconsistencies in the Sandy Hook story? My co-worker who listens to Rush is now talking about how a rifle was left in a vehicle and some other crap.

I heard something like this a couple weeks ago when I was casually driving around in Cleveland. It was just a regular rush-hour humor show but someone apparently e-mailed them about how Sandy Hook was a conspiracy created by Obama to take away ARE GUNS and how the shootings were done by 2 black ops members or some insane poo poo. I listened to it for about 5 minutes before I shut it off, since one of the people who ran the show apparently believed it and it got really disgusting really fast.

Maybe its trying to give nods to that?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Business Gorillas posted:

I heard something like this a couple weeks ago when I was casually driving around in Cleveland. It was just a regular rush-hour humor show but someone apparently e-mailed them about how Sandy Hook was a conspiracy created by Obama to take away ARE GUNS and how the shootings were done by 2 black ops members or some insane poo poo. I listened to it for about 5 minutes before I shut it off, since one of the people who ran the show apparently believed it and it got really disgusting really fast.

Maybe its trying to give nods to that?

Original media reports, along with identifying the wrong brother as the shooter, reported that he had two pistols on his person and the ar15 was in his car. A lot of the reports were co fused and contradictory as the story developed and every media outlet was trying to be the first to break the news

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cordyceps Headache posted:

My parents, both on the edge of retirement and as far advanced in their careers as a biochemist and a engineer working on telecommunications designs, maker a combined income of 160,000$ Canadian (which means more now than it used to, admittedly). And we've always considered ourselves pretty drat privileged as a family. Who is this hypothetical single person with 230,000$ in yearly income. And loving 180,000$ in retirement? Who the gently caress makes that? Jesus.

People who work in certain areas in finance.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

watt par posted:

People who work in certain areas in finance.

Also pretty much all graduates from one of a few tier 1 colleges that run an MBA degree heavily stocked by a legacy admission program. Like, almost immediately out of college

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Eulogistics posted:

Why do all these right-wing radio personalities havethree and four hour blocks of time for their shows? Is it just the value of reinforcement of ideas?

Because it allows flexibility for radio stations and listeners alike. It's also just pretty typical for the talk radio format, you put hosts or groups of hosts on air for 4 hours each, generally give each hour a major topic so you cover 4 main topics a show, and rotate them out for the next daypart.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Install Gentoo posted:

Because it allows flexibility for radio stations and listeners alike. It's also just pretty typical for the talk radio format, you put hosts or groups of hosts on air for 4 hours each, generally give each hour a major topic so you cover 4 main topics a show, and rotate them out for the next daypart.

quote:

Arbitron, the leading audience measurement ratings service in the United States, divides a weekday into five dayparts: morning drive time (6–10am), midday (10am–3pm), afternoon drive (3–7pm), evenings (7:00pm–Midnight), and overnight (Midnight–6am).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayparting#Dayparts_on_radio

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

saltylopez posted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323689604578220132665726040.html#project%3DWEALTH0105%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

All these examples have investment income equal to or greater than what I gross in a year.

I hate the WSJ so much.

None of those people should have a loving sad face. they all earn more than 90% of this country. loving eat the rich.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I hate the WSJ so much.

None of those people should have a loving sad face. they all earn more than 90% of this country. loving eat the rich.

That graphic is stunningly out of touch. Are those really typical Wall Street Journal readers? Is *that* their median demographic?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That graphic is stunningly out of touch. Are those really typical Wall Street Journal readers? Is *that* their median demographic?

From 2007: http://www.talkingbiznews.com/1/the-demographics-behind-wall-street-journal-readers/

quote:

Mayerowitz wrote, “Each day more than 2 million people pick up a copy of The Wall Street Journal or read it online, more than any other newspaper in the country, except USA Today, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

“More than three-fourths of them have a college degree, and their average household income is $234,909. The readers of USA Today and The New York Times tend to earn less.

“The Journal has a strong grasp on a group of readers who have the disposable income to spend on big-ticket items. A full-page color ad in the paper costs $168,500 to $234,000.

“Friday’s paper has ads for private jets, expensive watches, a $12.5 million house in Vail, Colo., and a ranch in Montana for $13.5 million.”

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

It's a newspaper for assholes, by assholes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The median is $135,740 (even a few mega-rich folks will skew an average, and a lot of mega-rich folks read the WSJ)
http://www.btobonline.com/article/2...ccording-to-mri

(edit: not that $135k/year is poverty, obviously)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pangstrom posted:

The median is $135,740 (even a few mega-rich folks will skew an average, and a lot of mega-rich folks read the WSJ)
http://www.btobonline.com/article/2...ccording-to-mri

(edit: not that $135k/year is poverty, obviously)

Jesus H. Christ. Eat the rich, indeed.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Out of touch assholes and college students who were forced into a subscription for class exercises and don't understand how the world works definitely are their primary demographic.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
It's a 1%er graphic. With respect to their specified groups, the single person, single parent, and married couple are all in the top 1% of earners in that group. I don't have retiree-specific income bracket information, but given that the top quintile for couples over 65, including those still in the workforce, is gonna start at around 120k, I wouldn't be surprised if they make the cut too.

I suspect the two single women depicted would also be at least pushing the top tenth of one percent of their group if we include gender.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Jesus, I was just thinking how my mid five-figures salary is awesome compared to my friends. We are all truly peons before the Money Gods.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Good Citizen posted:

Out of touch assholes and college students who were forced into a subscription for class exercises and don't understand how the world works definitely are their primary demographic.

Anecodotally can confirm this.

Someone I know has access to Wall Street J subscription of a (R) Senator from a Southern State that he interned with some ways back despite knowing absolutely zero stuff about politics because connections

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We need some kind of ultimatum: hey aristocrats, we're gonna soak you or eat you. Your pick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They just want to know why don't the poor have cake?

flu-like symptoms
Jul 27, 2006
shiny

saltylopez posted:

Holy poo poo. The looks on their faces in these remind of those famous Dorothy Lange pictures.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

What a poor, sad soul. What's her income like $120k/year? She really needs to work harder so those kids don't starve to death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

What a poor, sad soul. What's her income like $120k/year? She really needs to work harder so those kids don't starve to death.

If only she knew to bootstrap.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

Also pretty much all graduates from one of a few tier 1 colleges that run an MBA degree heavily stocked by a legacy admission program. Like, almost immediately out of college

Like I said, certain areas of finance.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-sees-civil-war-brewing-america

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/beck-provides-more-insights-obamas-looming-civil-war

Glen Beck, walking in the footsteps of greats like MLK and Gandhi (whom he claims to stand in solidarity with), wants conservatives to engage in nonviolent resistance to Obama's coming gun confiscation, to fill up the nations jails rather than give in to violence. You see, for 4 years now, Obama has been systematically trying to provoke conservative into doing something :airquote: crazy :airquote: in the hopes of provoking a violent response, that he will use to turn people against the right by smearing them as violent racist nutjobs.

I look forward to reading Glen's masterpiece of civil-rights rhetoric, Letters from Obama's secret CIA blacksite below D.C.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Some business-related honor societies also toss a free year or two subscription.

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

Cordyceps Headache posted:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-sees-civil-war-brewing-america

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/beck-provides-more-insights-obamas-looming-civil-war

Glen Beck, walking in the footsteps of greats like MLK and Gandhi (whom he claims to stand in solidarity with), wants conservatives to engage in nonviolent resistance to Obama's coming gun confiscation, to fill up the nations jails rather than give in to violence. You see, for 4 years now, Obama has been systematically trying to provoke conservative into doing something :airquote: crazy :airquote: in the hopes of provoking a violent response, that he will use to turn people against the right by smearing them as violent racist nutjobs.

I look forward to reading Glen's masterpiece of civil-rights rhetoric, Letters from Obama's secret CIA blacksite below D.C.

Wouldn't this just result in mass disenfranchisement of republican voters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Terex posted:

Wouldn't this just result in mass disenfranchisement of republican voters?

Glenn Beck plays the long con :ninja: