Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Whoa, no good on assaulting a customer; hopefully she doesn't decide to press charges on top of being a loving idiot. Poor bunny. I can't lie; I've had similar :wtc: moments working with pet owners. It's funny how easily you can want to strangle someone after you watch them purposefully hurt an animal in front of you and then be totally indifferent about it.

For what it is worth, you probably will be happier not working at a mega chain pet store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Pardalis posted:

Whoa, no good on assaulting a customer; hopefully she doesn't decide to press charges on top of being a loving idiot. Poor bunny. I can't lie; I've had similar :wtc: moments working with pet owners. It's funny how easily you can want to strangle someone after you watch them purposefully hurt an animal in front of you and then be totally indifferent about it.

For what it is worth, you probably will be happier not working at a mega chain pet store.

Agreed on all points. lovely situation all around, and gods know I've wanted to beat the hell out of some people.
Asa always came to work with me at the computer store I used to work at. One rear end in a top hat guy came in, she trots out to say hi (32lb dog the height of a corgi) and does her "sit and look cute for pets" routine. The guy kicks her and mutters about loving vicious dogs. Yeah, I called her back and just walked out the back door for a bit while my boss told him where to go and how to get there with a foot up his rear end. I can understand if you don't like dogs, but don't kick a dog that's sitting down with her tail wagging waiting for attention.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, here's to hoping charges aren't pressed. I'm going to apply for something where it's less likely I'll have to encounter something like that ever again. Bad enough in the past month a dog and a bunch of small animals were abandoned here (just left out back where our supply truck comes in, a few reptiles have died that way) but I've never seen someone abandon an animal face-to-face like that. I definitely could've handled the situation better but it's hard to think clearly when something like that happens right in front of you.

I'm probably going to apply at a fast food restaurant instead. I'm really not cut out for working at places like shelters or chain pet stores I think, you just see the rear end end of pet owners every day and it gets really frustrating.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
For what it is worth, if she does decide to press charges, you could probably counter with charges for abandoning an animal, especially since it must be on camera somewhere and you have multiple witnesses. *I am not a lawyer.

E: I just accidentally started a FB mom shitfit about indoor/outdoor cats and BEING A SINGLE MOTHER HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GIVE A poo poo ABOUT MY PETS WHEN I HAVE ALL THESE SPAWN???:byodame: because I had the audacity to suggest people might want to keep their cats in because of this:

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 15, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Pardalis posted:

For what it is worth, if she does decide to press charges, you could probably counter with charges for abandoning an animal, especially since it must be on camera somewhere and you have multiple witnesses. *I am not a lawyer.

I'd be tempted to say "Don't worry about it". Unless you have to and she does press charges, but it'll be pretty minor and you certainly have a lot of stuff to mitigate what happened. Needless to say though, if the popo come by don't talk to them without a lawyer present. It sounds insane, but you are better off that way.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Pew! Pew! posted:

I kind of ended up slapping her across the face.
I had to go back and reread this part, then I started laughing.

quote:

:wtc: is wrong with people.

Seriously though, wtf. Poor little bun-bun.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Seriously though, wtf. Poor little bun-bun.
Agreed. Pew, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully there'll be no charges against you.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I'm sorry you had to deal with a total asshat, Pew. It's good for me because when I get into a heated situation with a jerk, I end up crying because people yelling at me reminds me of my father so I basically just shut down. I do get overly angry, but there is just Too Many Emotions for me and my brain overloads. I'm sure I've said it before but when I was working at Petco we had someone abandon a darling giant fluffball of a cat and we didn't notice until like an hour later. People suck, and you need to know what situations to keep yourself out of. The good that can come out of this is that you now know you can't work around animals because you care about them too much.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zee on January 3rd. I can't remember if I mentioned his little girlfriend or not (circled in pink). Regardless, my neighbors managed to catch her so I'll be seeing if she has a microchip and whatnot tomorrow. If not, I'm gonna see if neighbor would mind hanging on to her while I work on rehoming both of them.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Jesus, Pew. :smith: Did the slap at least feel good? Oh god tell me it felt good.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Jesus, Pew. :smith: Did the slap at least feel good? Oh god tell me it felt good.

I would imagine the only thing that would've felt better is force feeding her very angry pirahnas.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Skizzles posted:

It had to be the best slap that has ever been slapped. Angels surely sang and a roaring thunderclap broke out as the roiling clouds broke above, and a single beam of righteous light lit Pew Pew like a halo. I wish I could have witnessed such a slap as I have always wished to deliver.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Unfortunately I had very little time to savor my slap but it did cause them to look completely offended and shocked, so it's worth it now. At the time it was like "poo poo I can't believe I did that."

I used to just shut down if there was yelling/angry too but certain things really drive me over the edge, animal abuse is definitely one of them.

e: You could hear it across the floor so that's close enough to angels descending for me. :v:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Pew! Pew! posted:

e: You could hear it across the floor so that's close enough to angels descending for me. :v:

Pretty sure I heard the sound of Righteous Anger over here in England, buddy. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Who just dumps a rabbit in the middle of a store? Even without dogs around, that's just weird. With dogs around it's like you're trying to get the poor bunny eaten. Some actions just deserve to be met with a slap. Sorry about your job though. :(

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
:stare:

I mean, much as what she did was appalling, to slap her in the face was completely inappropriate and you absolutely deserved to be fired from your job.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I would probably slap someone in that same situation but this is why I don't work with animals V:shobon:V

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, I understand why I was fired, but it helped me realize I'm just not cut out for this particular job. If charges are pressed I totally understand that too, and I'm willing to accept the punishments for either. I should have definitely not resorted to physical violence even in that situation, but it all happened pretty quickly and I really wasn't thinking, out of anger.
However, I'd like to at least see them cited or fined as well for abandoning an animal and being reckless. I'm just glad one of my coworkers was nearby to distract me from getting into more trouble.

Probably doesn't help that I've got impulse control issues. Whoops.

So far I haven't heard any sort of thing about legal action, but I know it's possible.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I do work with animals and I'm flabbergasted that someone would think the action of slapping an old woman was warranted. The dogs were leashed and coworkers immediately on hand. Yes, people are ignorant, stupid, and I love to bitch about their immorality as much as the next crazy cat lady, but they deserve an attempt at reeducation when confronted with allegations of animal abuse. Or do should we be immediately resorting to violence when confronted with an idiot breeding teacup poodles? C'mon, PI.

Derail over. Look at this year-old picture of the parrot hellspawn I raised.

Official Bizness fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 15, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Guys if I was there in a stressful situation I would have a completely cool headed and rational response.

just wanted to let everyone know

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

The opposite of 'cool headed and rational response' is not 'commit assault'.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

notsowelp posted:

The opposite of 'cool headed and rational response' is not 'commit assault'.

It's almost like she knows that:

Pew! Pew! posted:

Yeah, I understand why I was fired, but it helped me realize I'm just not cut out for this particular job. If charges are pressed I totally understand that too, and I'm willing to accept the punishments for either. I should have definitely not resorted to physical violence even in that situation, but it all happened pretty quickly and I really wasn't thinking, out of anger.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Official Bizness posted:

I do work with animals and I'm flabbergasted that someone would think the action of slapping an old woman was warranted. The dogs were leashed and coworkers immediately on hand. Yes, people are ignorant, stupid, and I love to bitch about their immorality as much as the next crazy cat lady, but they deserve an attempt at reeducation when confronted with allegations of animal abuse. Or do should we be immediately resorting to violence when confronted with an idiot breeding teacup poodles? C'mon, PI.

I don't think anyone here is condoning the slap. Pew could have handled it better and acknowledges that. But most of us would be lying if we said we (or at least our inner child) didn't wish we could slap some people from time to time. Not a response that does any good other than some momentary stress relief, but hey. :allears:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
You're really lucky you weren't arrested for assault. If the court doesn't wind up making you go, I'd recommend anger management or therapy to learn how to not slap random women in the face at work.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Wow. That sure was something I just read.

In other news, my dog is now internet famous. Worship her like the peons we are!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Tristesse posted:

You're really lucky you weren't arrested for assault. If the court doesn't wind up making you go, I'd recommend anger management or therapy to learn how to not slap random women in the face at work.

Guys, yes, Pew Pew knows its bad. Pew Pew will deal with the results.

I think we can can the sanctimonious "WELL I WOULD NEVER" because we all have our breaking point and we can all thank God/diety of choice/bearded sky pixie/ the empty bottomless abyss that none of us have gone there and that if we have, our responses were not that severe.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Neena posted:

It's almost like she knows that:

It's almost like I was responding to wtftastic in that comment and not pew pew

Skizzles posted:

I don't think anyone here is condoning the slap.

Yeah they are

McDragon posted:

Some actions just deserve to be met with a slap.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Anyways, in other random animal news that beagle mix I was looking at a few weeks ago was snatched up before I could go look at him. :( Ah well. Probably going to continue holding off on getting another dog for a while, at least until we're in a house and not an apartment. It's hard to get apartment housing with some of the breeds I'm looking at. Recently my apartment switched companies that manage it, so they've changed the dog rules. It used to be any breed or weight so long as there weren't more than 2, but they've got a 60 pound limit and breed restrictions now.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Skizzles posted:

I don't think anyone here is condoning the slap.

Man, given the context (at a workplace) and the legal climate (filing for assault!), I can't OFFICIALLY condone the slap, but I will emotionally condone it. Maybe some sense entered her thick skull by force of the slap.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

In other news, my dog is now internet famous. Worship her like the peons we are!

That's awesome. Those puppy pictures are SUPER adorable, but that first one is the best. That huge tongue, the 'Duuurrrrp' doggy facial expresion, it made me laugh. Wanna pet dat dog :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, looking back on it that was a really stupid thing for me to say. Been watching too many of those animal police type programs recently I think.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ButWhatIf posted:

There is a Daily Corgi? :stare: I feel as though a hole in my life I didn't even know was empty has been filled.

Also, Animal Planet has announce that the Puppy Bowl with have Hedgehog Cheerleaders. Now I need to get a group together to go to a bar and demand one screen be Puppy Bowl.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

notsowelp posted:

Yeah they are

I don't care that she got slapped. She was not only too lazy and cheap to take the rabbit to a shelter and pay $15 to make sure the best attempt will be made to find it a good home, but purpose opened the crate to dump the scared bunny in the middle of a store with a bunch of dogs. She is a selfish oval office, and she's actually lucky it went down this way because she probably won't have charges of animal endangerment/abandonment brought up as a result.

Bad enough that so many people are even mildly neglectful and keep their small animals locked up in substandard, too-small cages 24/7 with lovely food and no enrichment, but this goes above and beyond the every day lovely pet owner. Yeah there are laws and in that situation I would have restrained myself from acting physically, but I'm not going to pretend to be indignant that she got some small fraction of what she deserved.

Wonder Bra posted:

Man, given the context (at a workplace) and the legal climate (filing for assault!), I can't OFFICIALLY condone the slap, but I will emotionally condone it. Maybe some sense entered her thick skull by force of the slap.

I doubt it taught her anything. The brain does amazing mental gymnastics so people can avoid having to admit they are loving terrible. It's actually a well-documented and extremely frustrating part of our psychology. In her mind, her actions were completely reasonable and somehow everything that led up to her getting smacked is the fault of that lovely store and some wacko PETA supporting employee. After all, they sold her a defective rabbit and refused to take it back.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I am Vecna of Borg

Resistance is futile

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got a new cameraaaa :neckbeard: so of course the first thing needed was to take dog photos.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

There is a Daily Corgi? :stare: I feel as though a hole in my life I didn't even know was empty has been filled.

Also, Animal Planet has announce that the Puppy Bowl with have Hedgehog Cheerleaders. Now I need to get a group together to go to a bar and demand one screen be Puppy Bowl.

...What the heck is the puppy bowl?

and I guess for content. This picture is pretty old, from when my family was building a deck on the back of our house and our dog was still "with us"

we used to let our dog out the back door so he could go to the bathroom, we had a staircase that just kinda went down, one day while the deck was being built I opened the back door to give my brother something, and star decided he wanted to go outside so he pushed past me and onto the deck. Luckily we'd already installed a couple of planks so star didn't just fall through the deck as soon as he tried to get out, but his butt did not leave the wall when he realized "hey...there is no ground past this point"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The puppy bowl is the magic, mayhem and majesty of a bunch of little pups running around and playing on a vaguely football-like area, completely with a corny ref, kitten halftime show, and apparently hedgehog cheerleaders this year. The cheerleaders have been different animals in the past, chickens and kittens and who knows what else.

It is literally hours of watching cute animals play around instead of football.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The puppy bowl is the magic, mayhem and majesty of a bunch of little pups running around and playing on a vaguely football-like area, completely with a corny ref, kitten halftime show, and apparently hedgehog cheerleaders this year. The cheerleaders have been different animals in the past, chickens and kittens and who knows what else.

It is literally hours of watching cute animals play around instead of football.

I think the cheerleaders were piglets last year :3:

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Speaking of animals dropped off at Petco, Shelby was one of those. When I worked there one morning I came in to work (early morning) to find a wire cage with a couple ferrets in it sitting by the front door (that was the only one I witnessed, but I was told that sort of thing isn't allt hat uncommon). Another time while we were closing up for the day an employee found a cat inside a soft carrier left in a cart in a quiet corner of the store. The cat wasn't making any noise so no one knows how long it had been there.

On another note we had a guy surrender his 3 e-loving-normous rats to us, complete with a huge multistory cage as tall as I am. those things were the size of guinea pigs, and quite friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fraction posted:

I got a new cameraaaa :neckbeard:

I also got a new camera today. Weird coincidence! It is a gross rainy day though, so no terrier pictures from me yet :( Does Lola make high pitched squeaky noises as she attacks soccer balls? Dexter squeak-whines every time he tries to bite the ball and I get weird looks from anyone walking by.

• Locked thread