Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'll set a time in the next day or two - the girl running the birthday thing keeps changing stuff and it may end up being this weekend instead. At any rate, the earliest things would start is probably 11 or noon. We can go as late as people want though, and there's a couple couches to crash on if needed.

Black88GTA posted:

I saw this on the website:

So - do you want donations of electronic junk? I've got a bunch of electronic stuff here I was going to get rid of...couple not working DVD players, old car stereos, mid-2000s computers, etc. If so, I'll scrounge up what I can and bring it over, if not I'll trash it.

I'd say yes to random electronic stuff, no to broken DVD players, yes to old stereos, and maybe to computers. I think we set a cut off of nothing older than a P4 to keep from getting over run with stuff.

We just got a full size lathe and Bridgeport style mill, though I'm not sure if they'll be up and running by the 19th. If any of you have fabrication type things you're interested in doing (CNC plasma cutting in particular), please let me know ahead of time so I can make sure we're ready for it. I can get you details on output files and such if you want to draw up your own designs in advance. We can always make old favorites like ninja stars and batarangs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'll probably show up on the 19th. Noon works for me so I can bounce and get back to Maine earlier.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
:siren:Time is set for Noon onward on Saturday the 19th!:siren:

Map and directions are on our page: http://makeitlabs.com
The important thing to remember is to ignore your GPS and go all the way down Crown St. until you see a dirt/gravel road on the right with our sign next to it.
Turn onto this and hug the trees on the right all the way around to the back of the building.
Just when you're positive that this is the type of place a hobo would hide a body you'll see our workshop on the right end of the building.
Park anywhere but the few spots in front of our neighbor DDG Fabrication.

The phone number on the website is not mine, but it does go to a member who can give you directions if you get lost.

We have a small charcoal grill if anyone wants to cook stuff, or there's a million places to get food within 10 minutes of us.

There's also a gokart that used to run pretty well, no idea what state it's in now, but I'm sure we can abuse it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Anyone hitting up Sam's in the next couple of weeks?

If anyone is there it would be much appreciated if they could scout the Chrysler LH car section and see if there are any 300m "Specials" there, before I make the trip there or chuck and eddie's in Southington.

You can tell a 300m special from a normal one from the extra ground effect trim along the bottom.

I found one there about 6 months ago, but it was picked clean except from the wrecked front end.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sorry hackerspace goons, I can't make it.

I have two weekends to prep my car for racing at epping on feb 2nd, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it all done. Need to work two weekends straight before my business trip so I can race : /

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Who is planning on coming this Saturday? I'd like to get some idea as to how many to expect. If it's going to be a bad weekend for most people I can always reschedule.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm a maybe. I'm sure I can make it, but there's always a chance that I'll stay up till 6AM that morning and sleep in.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I should be there, fashionably late probably

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'll be there... No truck this time, gonna bring the Fit.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I made a facebook event (stealing the photo Ozmiander put up) so the workshop's members and friends would know about the event. I'm sure several of them will show up for the fun. Feel free to bring whomever.

https://www.facebook.com/events/580241465334929/

I'm not sure I can join the NEAI facebook page as a group, so one of you may need to post it there please.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Vroom Kart, for reference:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm planning on going also, want to try that Kart.

e: haha, thats the perfect picture for the event. I'll bring that turbo along too since it actually belongs to kastein.

e2: also did my first Rallyx last weekend. Totally hooked and the next one is in Epping NH and everyone should do it. Thanks to Ace for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1M-OiWOQvc

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 15, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wish I wasn't helping run a jeep club event later that night :( everyone agreed it'd be on the 12th, one guy even took time off for it, then it got moved to the 19th and he had to trade shifts with someone, and I have to choose between 2 meetups or one.

That kart looks terrifying and awesome.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
We mucked with the gearing on it so it doesn't have much acceleration, but it does reach a pants shittingly terrifying top speed on the straightaways.

I kind of want to switch that around and see if it can wheelie.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
I'll be there, most likely around 1.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

February 2nd Epping NH rallycross.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/3F21EB93-0DFA-DC1D-B2B56C6C3EE32E5B#.UPXsR31zh2M

Bill Tulley, Chrisgt, and I are gonna go tear up some fields. Come compete, spectate, ride along, whatever.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hillridge, you guys don't happen to have a sand blasting cabinet large enough for some 16" wheels? I've got some chevy aluminum wheels than need to be bead/walnut blasted. I could buy media and donate it to you guys.

I can't sanblast them, or else I'd do it myself.

I've also got a poo poo-ton of marine flares... expired (but they still work).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Epping is a pretty rough field. Be careful of the ruts!
Anyone going to the Boston car show?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

sharkytm posted:

Hillridge, you guys don't happen to have a sand blasting cabinet large enough for some 16" wheels? I've got some chevy aluminum wheels than need to be bead/walnut blasted. I could buy media and donate it to you guys.

I can't sanblast them, or else I'd do it myself.

I've also got a poo poo-ton of marine flares... expired (but they still work).

I'll check, but 16" is cutting it close. We do have a portable setup that you could always use outside with cheap sand (I've had good results with home depot playground sand).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

I'll check, but 16" is cutting it close. We do have a portable setup that you could always use outside with cheap sand (I've had good results with home depot playground sand).

Sand won't work, it'll chew up the wheels too badly. I'd do it myself with my pressure pot if I could use regular media.

Also, you shouldn't use play sand, or any silica product for blasting without a supplied-air respirator. I use black beauty blasting slag, which is $8/50# bag at TSC. It cuts better than sand, and doesn't cause silicosis. A regular P100 respirator cover my uses pretty well.

The wheel size is 16" x 6.5". If you can check for me, I'd appreciate it. I need to buy the media ASAP if they'll fit.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Min depth of the box is 11", add a few if you take out the grating and sit the workpiece right on the media. It's 17" from front to back, so while the wheel will fit in it, I'm not sure you could get your arms in too. We have media (slag, aluminum oxide, walnut) here if you just want to bring them and give it a shot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

Min depth of the box is 11", add a few if you take out the grating and sit the workpiece right on the media. It's 17" from front to back, so while the wheel will fit in it, I'm not sure you could get your arms in too. We have media (slag, aluminum oxide, walnut) here if you just want to bring them and give it a shot.

Eh, what the hell. I appreciate the offer. I may try aircraft stripper this week, and if that doesn't do the trick, I'll bring them up.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'll probably show up in the 944, since that's way cooler than showing up in a Jetta. Right now the heat is stuck on and I would very much like to fix that, so perhaps I/we can try to work on that there.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Any of you guys know how to properly set the idle on a chain saw? I can't seem to do it right. :saddowns: Every time I mess with the adjustment screws and try to start it, it either doesn't work or goes WOT. I may bring it with me (if I remember) and see if maybe someone else has better luck with it.

I'm going to take the BMW, unless the weather sucks. I've had it under the cover since early November, so this is perfect to give it some mid-winter exercise. However, if the weather blows, I'm taking the Caddy.

I don't suppose anyone needs anything hauled up there from Long Island? If so, I can do it as long as it fits in the truck and isn't horrifically gross.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Anyone need GM-specific computer help? I've got an AutoEnginuity with the GM addd-ins.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sharkytm posted:

Anyone need GM-specific computer help? I've got an AutoEnginuity with the GM addd-ins.

What are the capabilities? theArf was offering a tune on my Z06, and I was curious how much it'd been tuned prior, since CAGS is properly disabled.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

What are the capabilities? theArf was offering a tune on my Z06, and I was curious how much it'd been tuned prior, since CAGS is properly disabled.

Its basically a GM-factory scan tool. No tuning available, unluckily. I can plug it in and see what it tells you. (Plus, then you'd bring the Z06!)

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Slow is Fast posted:

February 2nd Epping NH rallycross.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/3F21EB93-0DFA-DC1D-B2B56C6C3EE32E5B#.UPXsR31zh2M

Bill Tulley, Chrisgt, and I are gonna go tear up some fields. Come compete, spectate, ride along, whatever.

I am located very near to this event. How likely am I to break something on a stock 2000 Legacy wagon?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Wojcigitty posted:

I am located very near to this event. How likely am I to break something on a stock 2000 Legacy wagon?

I didn't break anything on my stock 99 Forester with 186k though kimbo says Epping has more ruts :ohdear:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Cool, thanks. I will likely show up and just spectate. Sounds like a lot of fun but I can't afford to fix my daily right now.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well,

I have a 370Z in Vermont, and though I love the thing I just took the step today of getting rid of it and getting myself an 08 RS4. I just really wish I could drive RWD year around. Ugh. I hope this isn't a bad idea.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Every time we have lots of new people coming to an event, there's always at least one person that can't find the place. It's a combo of our address being misleading and google being wrong. Pay attention to this and don't be that guy. On the map below, the A is where our address, 29 Crown St., will take you on a GPS. You want to keep going East on Crown St., past Peabody Supply, past Greenerd Press, and then turn right on the road Google calls Colburn St. I don't think it actually has a name, and it's not paved.

We have a sign on the corner of it. Once you're on this, just hug the treeline to your right all the way around, and you'll run right into us. A '95 Dakota beater with MakeIt signs on the side will be parked by the dumpsters. Park anywhere you want so long as it isn't in front of our neighbor, DDG. We're cool with them and want to keep it that way because they're a sheet metal fabricator and hook us up all the time.

We can fit a car on the lift and 2 more in the space at any given time, but there's only one way in and out so it's a bit of a FILO queue.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 18, 2013

cantfly
Jan 30, 2006

Checking in for the MakeIt Labs meet. If someone wants a ride up from the Leominster area let me know.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Wojcigitty posted:

Cool, thanks. I will likely show up and just spectate. Sounds like a lot of fun but I can't afford to fix my daily right now.

It was fine last year, just muddy but relatively flat. I imagine it may be rougher if the ground is frozen. Feel free to show up and ride along

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's pretty awesome actually. It was able to interface with just about everything on my truck, although I wasn't able to disable Theftlock on a junkyard nav unit with it. Told me I had a failing wheel sensor (and which one), pulled up all sorts of stored codes, told my my air ride compressor had a stuck exhaust solenoid, gave real-time readings on various sensors, etc. I had great fun setting it to read my steering sensor and watching the little graph move as I turned the wheel. :3:

Umm, so if I bring my truck does someone wanna help me install a hinge pin / bushing kit in the driver's door? That's the only big thing I didn't get to this summer, because I never had a helper to assist with pulling the door off. Almost none of my friends out here are car people, and aren't really down to drop by for a day of wrenching. Yes, I need to move. :( Anyway, I'd rather not attempt it myself and drop that poo poo.

e: are we doing beer exchange again?

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 18, 2013

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Wojcigitty posted:

You won't break your car. You can go car breaking fast and stupid like I do (and yet I still don't break my car), or you can take it easy. Some bumps aren't going to hurt a Subaru.
As Slow said, come and ride along if you don't want to drive. You can always run the event next month. You can ride shotgun in my lovely Subaru if you'd like. I always welcome people to ride along. My avatar sums up how I do rallyX...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chrisgt posted:

You won't break your car. You can go car breaking fast and stupid like I do (and yet I still don't break my car), or you can take it easy. Some bumps aren't going to hurt a Subaru.
As Slow said, come and ride along if you don't want to drive. You can always run the event next month. You can ride shotgun in my lovely Subaru if you'd like. I always welcome people to ride along. My avatar sums up how I do rallyX...

That's also how Chris does breakfast.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Black88GTA posted:

It's pretty awesome actually. It was able to interface with just about everything on my truck, although I wasn't able to disable Theftlock on a junkyard nav unit with it. Told me I had a failing wheel sensor (and which one), pulled up all sorts of stored codes, told my my air ride compressor had a stuck exhaust solenoid, gave real-time readings on various sensors, etc. I had great fun setting it to read my steering sensor and watching the little graph move as I turned the wheel. :3:

Umm, so if I bring my truck does someone wanna help me install a hinge pin / bushing kit in the driver's door? That's the only big thing I didn't get to this summer, because I never had a helper to assist with pulling the door off. Almost none of my friends out here are car people, and aren't really down to drop by for a day of wrenching. Yes, I need to move. :( Anyway, I'd rather not attempt it myself and drop that poo poo.

e: are we doing beer exchange again?

I'm sure someone will be able to lend you a hand.

I'll bring a case or so of Yuengling I've been hoarding, and maybe a couple Heady Toppers, though I'll probably drink those myself like a jerk.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll bring the auto enginuity. I'm bringing the truck anyhow. I didn't realize that it's the same distance from the Cape to Nashua as to Ken's. It's got some additions from whence it was last seen (AI secret Santa helped).

It needs some major work, but I doubt it'd be worth reading the whole front end apart in New Hamster, plus trying to extract the exhaust manifold bolts and replace the manifolds. I will definitely bring the wheels, I got most of the clear coat off, but the corrosion from salt under the clear is gonna require media blasting.

I'll bring some Cape Cod beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
What a shame I didn't see this thread earlier in the week, I'd have been at MakeIt hours ago. Too late for it now, I've got work in a while, but I'll catch everyone on the next meetup.

• Locked thread