Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Oxxidation posted:

Also, after reading the cookbook I learned that Philippe really is full-blooded French and grew up in Bordeaux. Wonder what made his parents (or maybe just his mom) move to the States and shrug him off on a house full of weirdos.

The latter was Philippe's mom accidentally mailing him out because she sold a lamp on eBay and thought Philippe was the lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

The latter was Philippe's mom accidentally mailing him out because she sold a lamp on eBay and thought Philippe was the lamp.

Ha ha, she's such a terrible parent

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
At this point, I think the most fitting tribute/ending to Achewood would be a Tumblr or something where fans contributed their own prose/art concerning their hoped-for endings, similar to Lyle writing his own Hardy Boys finale/Harry Potter novel.

Points are awarded for endings which bear little to no resemblance to anything that was ever in the strip.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Wanderer posted:

At this point, I think the most fitting tribute/ending to Achewood would be a Tumblr or something where fans contributed their own prose/art concerning their hoped-for endings, similar to Lyle writing his own Hardy Boys finale/Harry Potter novel.

Points are awarded for endings which bear little to no resemblance to anything that was ever in the strip.

Okay this is a rad idea and I think I am going to set it up. Is that okay with you?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm cool with it. Kind of surprised also.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You can do whatever you like in life.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Johnny Aztec posted:

You can do whatever you like in life.

You can do whatever you want in life.

Probably my favorite thing to come out of Achewood.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
You may as well try more things now, 'cause being in trouble is a fake idea.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
You're just trying to get us to get all :spergin: about quote accuracy now, aren't you?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Locus posted:

You're just trying to get us to get all :spergin: about quote accuracy now, aren't you?

You're right, why did I do that :(

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Lately I've been enjoying re-reading Achewood in bed on my tablet before dozing off for the night, but goddamn do I miss the alt text. Anyone have a solution? I googled and just found a lot of chit-chat about XKCD and an Android application with overwhelmingly terrible reviews.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Cool, thanks!

http://achewoodendings.tumblr.com/

Tell your friends!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Already off to a great start, awesome idea!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Locus posted:

I still want to find out what happens to Theo Freedom, and also see the future predictions of Achewood come true. Ray losing his ears, etc.

:unsmith: Maybe some day...

But the Roast Beef ending after Molly leaves...:smith:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Is that what's happening in that penultimate panel? I never caught on.

Oh God, that means there won't be a burial, he'll just hide himself away somewhere and end it alone, after alienating everybody who ever cared about him. No funeral, no marker, no evidence that he ever existed. Cleaner that way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus, you gotta take into account Beef is supposed to outlive all of his friends, so chances are he either killed himself or depression and anxiety got him so hard that his body just shut down by itself.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Calaveron posted:

Plus, you gotta take into account Beef is supposed to outlive all of his friends, so chances are he either killed himself or depression and anxiety got him so hard that his body just shut down by itself.

I can see that. I imagine it would be like the flute boy in Link to the Past who just fades away, leaving behind a body of wood.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
I love the Pat barber one. I'm picturing a final arc where everyone's story moves toward a logical ending, only Pat is conspicuously absent until the final panel of the final strip.

FunkyAl: He Gets Things Done.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think the only logical conclusion to Achewood is that Beef killed everyone and then himself.

Now the only residents of The Underground are lost Magreaux Dogs, drooling and bumping into things as they stumble around.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

quote:

Philippe is six.

Ray threw the usual party, the usual Underground shindig that was at once too adult and too fancy for a child's sixth birthday party, adults in tuxedos swilling complicated cocktails around the pool. Maybe that was because there were nothing but adults there, for whatever reason, as there had always been. Children didn't seem to trust or like Philippe, for no reason an adult could name.

Philippe blew out his six candles and wouldn't tell anyone his wish, because otherwise, it wouldn't come true. There was an odd feeling that descended over the crowd as he did, a sense of strangeness, like they'd all forgotten something important at once and they had forgotten that specific thing before. Some didn't quite have the words for it. Others - Cornelius, Ray - had all too many words for it, delivered on a thick tide of three-dollar verbiage or vodka fumes, and that occluded some of the intent.

Philippe turned six.

What really sealed the deal was later on, when Beef went through Molly's purse for breath mints and instead found a half-empty prescription bottle. It was for a regular dosage of antidepressants that would've kept a Clydesdale placid and it had Beef's name on the side. He put it together in the next five minutes, that those regular chocolate energy shakes in the morning were not just Molly trying to make sure his body had something in it besides self-loathing, and when she saw him standing there holding the bottle, she tensed for a fight that didn't come.

Teodor spent the back half of the party on Ray's phone. He took Lyle just seriously enough to know that the restauranteur business wasn't one he wanted to dip his hands into, because he'd pull them back with a thick coat of equal parts remoulade and moral compromise, but he also knew Ray, which was like knowing the special cheat code that automatically double-funded your Kickstarter. Besides, the real money was in being a talking head, and that he could do. It was the celebrity chef thing without everything that pissed Teodor off about being a celebrity chef, aided by Lyle, who could be relied upon to liven up a boring YouTube video by stumbling onto the set blitzed and nonetheless explaining in highly profane terms how to most efficiently deglaze. It all made the kind of sense that good inventions do, that someone should've come up with this about two hundred years ago, but they were too busy mourning a lost and idealized childhood to do so.

Nice Pete got caught dumping a stiff in a surprised farmer's back forty and managed to elude a three-state manhunt for two weeks. Pat moved to Sonoma, where his people - assholes, not homosexuals - migrated at regular intervals. Ray remained richer than he had any right to be, because there are certain points where wealth gets its own momentum and its possessor just has to get out of the way.

And Philippe turned six.

When people asked, Teodor said Philippe was a nephew, an adopted ward from indifferent parents, and in the doing got a bunch of positive column ink he felt vaguely guilty about. He's a six-year-old kid, not a prop, Teodor reasoned, but he managed to justify it by not having intended it. It didn't hurt that being an entreprenurial single father got him a very different but nonetheless satisfying brand of tail, less sunless girls in indie shirts and more single moms with drive and distinction.

Polly kept after Cornelius for a while to do something of his own, something fun, rather than churning out yet another to-the-specified-standards romance novel that did nothing but rip bodices and keep spinsters company in the bath. Cornelius resisted the impulse for long enough, wary of that impulse to simply fictionalize his life as the stuff of his private fantasy and thus be labeled a dirty old man with an active imagination, but she patiently wore him down. The resulting historical novel, a roman a clef about a young American exploring Europe against the backdrop of the 1960s, sold like a canteen full of hantavirus but it existed, and that was satisfying enough on its own.

All that happened in the subsequent month. A dam had burst.

More would happen before Philippe turned seven, and that would be much sooner than any of them had grown to expect.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
drat dude.

That's a pretty sweet Achewood ending. :911:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Philippe is six.

...Chris?

Chris is that you?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

...Chris?

Chris is that you?

Sadly I doubt it

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ok, I'm done with achewood now. You have put it to bed.

Donjolly
Jan 15, 2013

this is such a good idea that I re-registered

there is only one ending for us

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I sort of wish they discussed the awesome way in which Lyle surely died before this comic took place. Perhaps drowning in raw fuel ethanol on a motorcycle?

Donjolly
Jan 15, 2013

tehloki posted:

I sort of wish they discussed the awesome way in which Lyle surely died before this comic took place. Perhaps drowning in raw fuel ethanol on a motorcycle?

I figure Lyle ends up getting a welding degree, getting married to a girl half his age, and makes out okay running a shop in Bakersfield.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Donjolly posted:

This is really good. My only complaint is that beef's text is the same size as everyone elses.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Donjolly posted:

Between this and Wanderer's prose, I feel... fulfilled. Like Achewood was this ghost with hell of unfinished business that you guys have finished for it, and it smiled a sad ghost smile and just faded into the light. Basically what I'm saying is these are the canonical end of Achewood as far as I'm concerned, and I'm satisfied as the Dickens.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Goons got smash mouth to (kind of) eat the eggs, and now they have given Achewood an ending. Goons. They get things done.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Donjolly posted:

I like it. Beef gets it right, smile about your wild times but know that you've grown up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Clap your hands and turn off the light. We're done here.

Donjolly
Jan 15, 2013

Hey FunkyAl thanks for putting my strip on Achewood Endings - I noticed it got squashed by the blog or whatever, which is hell on my already crummy lettering. Maybe have it link to the full-sized version on my comic's site.

I figured I'd post this here in case any of you guys wanted a bigger version for some reason

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was at a book release last night, and thought the plot of the novel was interesting...

quote:

The Donnybrook is a three-day bare-knuckle tournament held on a thousand-acre plot out in the sticks of southern Indiana. Twenty fighters. One wire-fence ring. Fight until only one man is left standing while a rowdy festival of onlookers—drunk and high on whatever’s on offer—bet on the fighters.
Jarhead is a desperate man who’d do just about anything to feed his children. He’s also the toughest fighter in southeastern Kentucky, and he’s convinced that his ticket to a better life is one last fight with a cash prize so big it’ll solve all his problems.

Sounds a little familiar, no?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Toebone posted:

I was at a book release last night, and thought the plot of the novel was interesting...

Sounds a little familiar, no?

I can't tell if I'd be more annoyed at the absence or presence of his every move being the new tradition.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I'd just like to take this opportunity to express my amazement at the fact that, since 2007, I've not seen somebody one these forums change his user name to Leon Sumbitches.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit:oops, wrong thread.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ManiacClown posted:

I'd just like to take this opportunity to express my amazement at the fact that, since 2007, I've not seen somebody one these forums change his user name to Leon Sumbitches.

I gave serious thought to it awhile back but never did it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

You'd just have to change it again to Brian Wheat right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
My hope is that Achewood's legacy will be continued through a band called "Commodore Sex Act," which will probably have members that shower together.