Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cordyceps Headache posted:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-sees-civil-war-brewing-america

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/beck-provides-more-insights-obamas-looming-civil-war

Glen Beck, walking in the footsteps of greats like MLK and Gandhi (whom he claims to stand in solidarity with), wants conservatives to engage in nonviolent resistance to Obama's coming gun confiscation, to fill up the nations jails rather than give in to violence. You see, for 4 years now, Obama has been systematically trying to provoke conservative into doing something :airquote: crazy :airquote: in the hopes of provoking a violent response, that he will use to turn people against the right by smearing them as violent racist nutjobs.

I look forward to reading Glen's masterpiece of civil-rights rhetoric, Letters from Obama's secret CIA blacksite below D.C.

Y'know for a bunch of not-racist, not-violent nutjobs, right wing Concerned Citizens sure do talk about being provoked a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Y'know for a bunch of not-racist, not-violent nutjobs, right wing Concerned Citizens sure do talk about being provoked a whole bunch.

It's how their brain's work. It's like how a liberal's brain has the mental illness of empathy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

It's how their brain's work. It's like how a liberal's brain has the mental illness of empathy.

So I guess handwringing and "why can't they better themselves??" tutting is the NPR equivalent of dudes updating each other on how dry their powder is.

The powder is so dry you would not believe it. Drier than a cutting remark from Mr. Darcy in the Gobi Desert.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
If anyone wants to hear something really sad, Michelle Dowry (the Obama phone lady) was on Alex Jones yesterday and he spent the entire interview belittling her and treating her to a number of stupid/racist libertarian talking points. At one point had his staff go to McDonald's to get a Happy Meal to show her that they use toys to keep children hooked, just like the government uses welfare to keep (black) people hooked. She spent the entire time talking about how the government has been cutting her payments down and she hasn't been able to pay rent. His response was that, while she's currently working for $8/hour at a house cleaning company, she could put up flyers for cleaning jobs and easily make double that!!! (minus the cost of everything the company provides, which he does not touch on).

It's the 1/14/13 episode and she comes onto the show around the one hour thirty mark.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So Alex Jones brought a poorly educated, impoverished old lady onto his show so he could yell at her? Wow, just when you thought that rear end clown couldn't get any more scummy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Terex posted:

Wouldn't this just result in mass disenfranchisement of republican voters?

Is it wrong that I like this idea more and more? Because if it is, I don't want to be right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VladimirLeninpest posted:

If anyone wants to hear something really sad, Michelle Dowry (the Obama phone lady) was on Alex Jones yesterday and he spent the entire interview belittling her and treating her to a number of stupid/racist libertarian talking points. At one point had his staff go to McDonald's to get a Happy Meal to show her that they use toys to keep children hooked, just like the government uses welfare to keep (black) people hooked. She spent the entire time talking about how the government has been cutting her payments down and she hasn't been able to pay rent. His response was that, while she's currently working for $8/hour at a house cleaning company, she could put up flyers for cleaning jobs and easily make double that!!! (minus the cost of everything the company provides, which he does not touch on).

It's the 1/14/13 episode and she comes onto the show around the one hour thirty mark.

Well, that's just plain cruel.

Like, that's just a horrible, mean, thing to do to someone who only got 'famous' because a bunch of racists wanted to go "AH HA SEE A BLACK LADY WANTS AN OBAMAPHONE FUCKIN PARASITES".

So, we have Bill O bringing a 9/11 victim's kid on the show to yell at for not hating Muslims enough, this, has Hannity done anything like this to get the hat trick of just cruel things to do?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's really a pretty messed up interview. He didn't yell very much, which is weird for him, and he kept saying how much of a nice lady she was, but she had obviously never really thought about politics and spends most of the show agreeing with Alex just because he's bringing up things she's never heard of (and/or don't exist, like the new world order/FEMA camps etc). From the hour or so I listened, he brought up that lovely awful libertarian quip about domesticating animals, poo poo about the federal reserve, Obamaphones (which is what Alex and his mom call every phone now, he told as a story for some reason), bought her a Happy Meal, and went on and on and on about his conspiracy theories. The whole time you can tell that she's uncomfortable (which is possibly because Alex Jones is comparing her and her friends/family to animals), but he's just acting like she'll jump right onto his crazy train if he says enough stuff to her. He even said that he might let her do some reporting for him!

Now a lot of right wing blogs are laughing about how she said she wouldn't vote for Obama in 2016. I didn't get that far into the interview, but I imagine that either Alex or a caller asked her that knowing what she would say.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-sees-civil-war-brewing-america

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/beck-provides-more-insights-obamas-looming-civil-war

Glen Beck, walking in the footsteps of greats like MLK and Gandhi (whom he claims to stand in solidarity with), wants conservatives to engage in nonviolent resistance to Obama's coming gun confiscation, to fill up the nations jails rather than give in to violence. You see, for 4 years now, Obama has been systematically trying to provoke conservative into doing something :airquote: crazy :airquote: in the hopes of provoking a violent response, that he will use to turn people against the right by smearing them as violent racist nutjobs.

I look forward to reading Glen's masterpiece of civil-rights rhetoric, Letters from Obama's secret CIA blacksite below D.C.

I'm calling it now; Beck will abruptly vanish from the public eye, no explanation, for a few weeks or months. He then miraculously shows back up unshaven and having lost a few pounds, and tearfully recounts his treatment at the hands of the Secret Service (but doesn't ever specifically say that, of course, because they could be LISTENING to his broadcast and he's AFRAID they'll come after him) who wanted to suppress his First and/or Second Amendment rights.

And his listeners will eat it up like candy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

You see, for 4 years now, Obama has been systematically trying to provoke conservative into doing something :airquote: crazy :airquote: in the hopes of provoking a violent response, that he will use to turn p

Provocative stuff like passing all their left over legislation from 15-20 years ago. You know, :airquote: crazy :airquote: poo poo.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

His response was that, while she's currently working for $8/hour at a house cleaning company, she could put up flyers for cleaning jobs and easily make double that!!! (minus the cost of everything the company provides, which he does not touch on).

Another thing he doesn't touch upon is that that sort of freelancing and cutting of side deals can get you fired by the assholes paying you $8/hour. There's been several times where I worked for a company making, say, $20/hour while they charged $80/hour for the work I did. If I called them home or put up flyers saying I could do it for $40 or $50 in my spare time, I could be fired.

You know. The free market and competition.

Crasscrab posted:

So Alex Jones brought a poorly educated, impoverished old lady onto his show so he could yell at her? Wow, just when you thought that rear end clown couldn't get any more scummy.

He's pissed because poor people like here are taking all of our money is all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BiggerBoat posted:

He's pissed because poor people like here are taking all of our money is all.

This is why he is pissed

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
In a somewhat bizarre note, Dennis Kucinich has signed in to be a contributor at Fox News. I'm not sure how that is going to work.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

skaboomizzy posted:

In a somewhat bizarre note, Dennis Kucinich has signed in to be a contributor at Fox News. I'm not sure how that is going to work.
O'Reilly probably wants a goofy-looking liberal who makes him look tall and didn't think much beyond that. I would guess he'll come in on very specific topics and the theme will be criticizing Obama.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

Ideal representation of liberalism to bash?

What about his hot wife?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

bobkatt013 posted:

This is why he is pissed

What is this cave man bullshit? Wow, poor people in our country have access to the most basic cheap technology possible to keep themselves fed. I GUESS THEY AREN'T SO "POOR" after all! :smug:

99% of poor people have rock-and-stick and know SECRET OF FIRE. :gonk:

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
53% of poor people know the Riddle of Steel and refuse to carve themselves a kingdom out of the decadent flesh of civilized society.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

99% of poor people have salt licks.

We should notify Caesar to let him know the poors are ruining the salt trade market! :mad:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Spacedad posted:

What is this cave man bullshit? Wow, poor people in our country have access to the most basic cheap technology possible to keep themselves fed. I GUESS THEY AREN'T SO "POOR" after all! :smug:

A refrigerator pays for itself by letting you store food and buy in bulk. What's their alternative? .4% of POORS eat nothing but dry goods and fast food. Apparently, Fox also claimed that contracting gout was proof that the impoverished are well off.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

BerkerkLurk posted:

53% of poor people know the Riddle of Steel and refuse to carve themselves a kingdom out of the decadent flesh of civilized society.
"Are there no slavers? And the Wheel of Pain, is it still in operation?"

That might be my earlier problem? It just doesn't really seem real? This crap seems like it's out of a bad movie?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
A mechanic went on an Obama-gun control rant with phrases and sentences worded oddly like radio talking points(but with a racist spin, like calling Compton "niggertown"). A few hours later I was hearing the same phrases verbatim from some radio blowhard.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ograbme posted:

A few hours later I was hearing the same phrases verbatim from some radio blowhard.

'You're an assassin now, for Videodrome. They can program you, they can play you like a video tape recorder. They can make you do what they want.'

We have a media problem, but it's far beyond video games being murder simulators.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

McDowell posted:

'You're an assassin now, for Videodrome. They can program you, they can play you like a video tape recorder. They can make you do what they want.'

We have a media problem, but it's far beyond video games being murder simulators.

Right wing editorial television is getting weirder and weirder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FGQ3G2hyKE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God, that "poor people aren't poor because they own stuff" nonsense was a time that had my blood boiling. I can't tell you how many conversations I had explaining how a one time purchase of a pretty much essential appliance doesn't mean you're not poor. Or how many people were sincerely outraged that poor people sometimes own video games. I had to sit down over and over again and explain how saving $300 or $400 for a year to buy your kid an XBox at Christmas (not even counting layaway plans, used purchases, or less reputable sellers) doesnt make you "not poor" if you struggle to pay the bills every month and don't know when the next check is coming. I really had to spell out to them how scrimping away $25 a month is different from finding hundreds if not thousands a month for essentials.

And even that didn't get through to them until I asked "How much do you spend each month on non essentials like eating out, going to the movies, buying some clothes, having a Netflix subscription, and stuff like that? And don't you complain about money and taxes and stuff? So how is a one time video game purchase a big deal?" It was pulling teeth. Rational and well meaning people who would eventually see my side of it but it took forever to get them there because somehow poor people having a game was too much to process. "You know, you save hundreds if not thousands if you stop drinking or going to the movies or paying for cable or whatever. And then you could afford that stuff you say you can't afford." "But I need some relaxation and fun, I work hard." "So why don't poor people deserve some of that too?"

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 17, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

After that last post I decided to doodle this:

:stare:

This scary thing is basically my reaction to a number of things - The right wing media claiming that media programs shooters to kill, while engaging in hysterical anti-Obama anti-gun-control rhetoric that seems almost like videodrome programming for a presidential assassin. (Comparing Obama to Hitler, etc.) There's a few other things too, but that's the main stuff.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love it.

'Videodrome' is a great movie. I'd say watching that and 'Network' give alot of insight into what the media is these days.

Some good historical insight on the media and power can also be found in the story of Cecil King and the Labor Party in the 60's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/07/every_day_is_like_sunday.html

The political system was paralyzed by economic crises and deficit-panic - sound familiar?

As for videodrome assassins, Fox News rhetoric has been tied to violence in the past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Tiller#The_O.27Reilly_Factor

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

STAC Goat posted:

But I need some relaxation and fun, I work hard." "So why don't poor people deserve some of that too?"

It really comes down to that most of these people believe that poor must always equal lazy and thus undeserving of such "extravagance".

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Spacedad posted:

This scary thing is basically my reaction to a number of things - The right wing media claiming that media programs shooters to kill, while engaging in hysterical anti-Obama anti-gun-control rhetoric that seems almost like videodrome programming for a presidential assassin. (Comparing Obama to Hitler, etc.) There's a few other things too, but that's the main stuff.

Thank you for that sketch. That absolutely made my day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ograbme posted:

A mechanic went on an Obama-gun control rant with phrases and sentences worded oddly like radio talking points(but with a racist spin, like calling Compton "niggertown"). A few hours later I was hearing the same phrases verbatim from some radio blowhard.

I get what you mean. I can almost tell which shock jock people are getting their talking points from these days. Screechy and apocalyptic? Levin. Smug and catchy? Limbaugh. Smug and arrogant? Hannity. Lizard People? Alex Jones.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spacedad posted:

I'm going to doublepost just to say that this is the best thing that I've seen all day. Thanks. :)

Edit: Also, the pictures thread would appreciate it.

hotgreenpeas
Apr 12, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Also, it's have a refrigerator, not own. That stat comes from a Heritage Foundation report which pulls the data from a 2005 DOE report on residential energy consumption. The former implies that these are items people bought, but the DOE survey only asked if people had them in their home. Since most rental units come with refrigerators--and a lot of poor people rent--it's more like 99.6% of poor people have access to a refrigerator, not that they can afford to buy one.
:goonsay:

hotgreenpeas fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 17, 2013

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Babylon Astronaut posted:

A refrigerator pays for itself by letting you store food and buy in bulk. What's their alternative? .4% of POORS eat nothing but dry goods and fast food. Apparently, Fox also claimed that contracting gout was proof that the impoverished are well off.

I know you're being facetious, but if Fox News can claim that pepper spray is a "food product" and chuckle that "maybe the cops were just trying to feed the protestors," then yeah. They might as well argue that poors with gallstones and gout due to lovely diets are living it up because these were the fashionable diseases of yore.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spacedad posted:

This reminds me of a documentary I watched a couple weeks ago about a man who murdered a doctor who specialized in late term abortions.

Basically this mentally ill guy was literally brainwashed by all of the "pro-life" rhetoric he experienced through this radical church group and anti-government militia, and as soon as people tried to point fingers after the fact the people who he spent all of his time with were like "woah, we just said stuff, we never said to murder anyone." There was a whole segment of the documentary devoted to the psychological aspect and how the inevitable end result of right wing hate speech is someone with lower intelligence who is easily influenced murdering someone "for the greater good." He even approached people in the militia asking if they wanted in on the murder plot and instead of reporting him to the police they just said they didn't want to go about things that way, although they agreed with his general principle.

Terrifying stuff.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This reminds me of a documentary I watched a couple weeks ago about a man who murdered a doctor who specialized in late term abortions.

Basically this mentally ill guy was literally brainwashed by all of the "pro-life" rhetoric he experienced through this radical church group and anti-government militia, and as soon as people tried to point fingers after the fact the people who he spent all of his time with were like "woah, we just said stuff, we never said to murder anyone." There was a whole segment of the documentary devoted to the psychological aspect and how the inevitable end result of right wing hate speech is someone with lower intelligence who is easily influenced murdering someone "for the greater good." He even approached people in the militia asking if they wanted in on the murder plot and instead of reporting him to the police they just said they didn't want to go about things that way, although they agreed with his general principle.

Terrifying stuff.

Was it George Tiller? The American right even dubbed him "George Tiller the baby killer" - this guy who would perform free abortions for victims of pedophile incest gets gunned down in a church in cold blood.

Scum like O'Reilly hounded him for years: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/01/bill-oreilly-crusaded-aga_n_209665.html

It wouldn't surprise me if they vaguely hope some nutjob is going to try to assassinate Obama as a result of their hysterical blathering.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
http://www.assaultweapon.info/

Has anyone seen this yet, a propaganda style website to "educate" people on assault rifles.
Its making its way around here at work (midwest) where everyone already circle jerks about hatin' on Obama.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Spacedad posted:

Was it George Tiller? The American right even dubbed him "George Tiller the baby killer" - this guy who would perform free abortions for victims of pedophile incest gets gunned down in a church in cold blood.

Scum like O'Reilly hounded him for years: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/01/bill-oreilly-crusaded-aga_n_209665.html

It wouldn't surprise me if they vaguely hope some nutjob is going to try to assassinate Obama as a result of their hysterical blathering.

I remember seeing an article on Scott Roeder's extensive and intimate ties to the organized pro-life movement, particularly Operation Rescue, and pointed out that for a penniless guy he sure didn't have much trouble driving in from out of town on a regular basis to stalk Tiller and he managed to scrounge up a gun and ammo from somewhere.

The pro-life movement has always had an implicit "...or we'll kill you" in their arguments.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Flaggy posted:

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

Has anyone seen this yet, a propaganda style website to "educate" people on assault rifles.
Its making its way around here at work (midwest) where everyone already circle jerks about hatin' on Obama.

The thing is, a lot of these gun rights people are right about stuff like this. The terminology is loose, the results inconsistent, etc. The problem is that these kinds of regulations are the end result of consistent blocking of any meaningful gun regulations. If gun rights activists were willing to make pragmatic concessions on the availability and types of firearms a civilian was allowed to own, we could make meaningful regulations beyond "No Scary Looking Guns."

The Assault Weapons Ban is the end result of the impossibility of dialog about guns, not the instigation of it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
http://wolffiles.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-crush-democrats-dumb-gun-control.html

quote:

The never-let-a-crisis-go-to-waste Left is in assault mode on your Second Amendment rights. These gun grabbers think they're so clever with this line of questioning which (frustratingly) seems to stump the unprepared:

"The Framers didn't write the Second Amendment with AR-15's in mind. Where do you stop? Should citizens be allowed to have nuclear weapons?
This is a hanging curve ball just waiting for you to crush it."

First of all, remind Democrats that the Framers didn't write the First Amendment with cable television, Internet communications or even the telegraph in mind. Should we limit the press's freedom of speech to the movable type printing press which was the primary means of mass communication at the time of the Framers?

More importantly, don't let the nuclear weapon ruse intimidate you. The limits of the Second Amendment is a fair question that deserves an answer. It's simple: Law-abiding, free people should have the right to arm themselves with whatever weapons their government would use against them.

"I won't give my gun up unless you have to give up TV" Well poo poo fella I'm already a step ahead of ya now hand it over.

quote:

If the world is sufficiently dangerous that the police require semi-automatic rifles with large-capacity magazines, then do not the free citizens who are sovereign over the police and who also live in the same dangerous world deserve to similarly protect themselves from it? In fact, are not the citizens -- not the police -- always the first ones who are forced to face those dangers?

An easy one to answer. The answer is no. But further, the police shouldn't be so heavily armed either. Finally, the police are heavily armed to protect you from the criminal elements you're so loving scared of.

quote:

There is no justification for the public servant police to be more heavily armed than the law-abiding public they serve ... unless ... the government's intention is to be more powerful than the people. When the police are the only ones armed, then it is a police state.

That's not the definition of a police state.

I'm all for the withering of the state and communities themselves handling law enforcement. But probably for different reasons, none of which include shooting black kids because they're walking through your neighborhood at night.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

quote:

First of all, remind Democrats that the Framers didn't write the First Amendment with cable television, Internet communications or even the telegraph in mind. Should we limit the press's freedom of speech to the movable type printing press which was the primary means of mass communication at the time of the Framers?
Nnnno, but when these disruptive new technologies come along we do have to sit down and reevaluate things. We didn't toss out the First Amendment when the internet came along, but we did end up with a bunch of questions to sort out about how free speech works online. Maybe we could finally get around to having that kind of conversation about modern weapons?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

At my office I'm surrounded by 4 different late 20s/early 30s engineers who talk about guns every single day. Yesterday one of them had Fox News streaming from his computer all day long. Nobody should subject me to hours of loving Charles Krauthammer.

They're the epitome of "I'm safe with my gun, so nobody should ever be able to take it away from me just because everyone else is bad" type of thinking. They think everything, even Barrett Light '50s and M4A1's should be available to them because "they're responsible."

I don't even know where to begin. It's like they're Teddy Ruxpins with NRA talking points cassettes inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

quote:

Law-abiding, free people should have the right to arm themselves with whatever weapons their government would use against them.

"Now as I was saying, me and the rest of the boys down at Galt's Gulch would like to buy a couple hundred grenades and one of them drones." :smug: