Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

I am still anxiously awaiting the first 7-2 "money$hift" post on Rennlist. I can barely handle my current 5 and 6 speed cars, the 7th gear would just make me :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drgitlin posted:

Is the 911 transmission really a transaxle? It's rear engined and the gearbox attaches straight to the motor, not to a torque tube, I thought.

I really want some mad as a hatter company to make a rear-engined FWD car someday, just to mess with people.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Keyser S0ze posted:

I am still anxiously awaiting the first 7-2 "money$hift" post on Rennlist. I can barely handle my current 5 and 6 speed cars, the 7th gear would just make me :psyboom:

My old CTS-V (first generation) at least locked reverse and I think bad downshifts too.

I was never crazy enough to test it so don't quote me but it did that 1st -4th lockout for mpg so I know it had the functionality and I swear it blocked me from a mistaken downshift one time.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Xguard86 posted:

I was never crazy enough to test it so don't quote me but it did that 1st -4th lockout for mpg so I know it had the functionality and I swear it blocked me from a mistaken downshift one time.

If you aren't too forceful, synchronizers will 'lock' you out while they desperately try to spin the input shaft up to a million RPM for the wrong gear your trying to choose.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Endless Mike posted:

Transaxle just means it incorporates a transmission and differential in one unit. FWD boxes are transaxles as well.

Things I learn!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ziploc posted:

If you aren't too forceful, synchronizers will 'lock' you out while they desperately try to spin the input shaft up to a million RPM for the wrong gear your trying to choose.

that was probably it since I realized something was wrong pretty fast and stopped pushing. That car was wonderful but that loving shifter was like stirring gelatin, to the point where I had to be careful about which gate I was actually entering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I think because the transmission is mounted in the rear by the diff the Corvette has special Tremec transmissions that aren't easily swapped with other cars.

Actually, unless the C7 is a departure from this - the C5 and C6 'transaxles' still actually have the exact same transmission guts as the rest of the line. A Corvette T-56 only differs from the rest by having a different bellhousing setup (to connect to a torque tube instead of the engine directly) and by having the output shaft and rear housing integrated with the differential, rather than going to a driveshaft. It is theoretically possible to convert a regular T-56 to a Corvette-style one (and back again), but it's very cost prohibitive for both parts and labor versus just buying the version you want.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

See, this pattern makes sense, because it's basically a regular 3-way H pattern with an extra locked-out location on each end for reverse and mega-overdrive. The one in the new Corvette seems like it'd be really easy to miss a shift.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Xguard86 posted:

My old CTS-V (first generation) at least locked reverse and I think bad downshifts too.

Based on anecdotal evidence from high performance driving events at my local track with C5's, C6's and CTSV's, it wasn't too difficult to do a 5th to 2nd money shift with the Tremec T-56's behind GM V8's if a person wasn't paying attention. I've seen more than a few cars loose control after the owner tossed it into 2nd gear at the end of the straight.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Do we know actual ratios on the 7M and the dif?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The one in the new Corvette seems like it'd be really easy to miss a shift.

Can you explain how? It's no different than some 5 speeds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On further inspection -- is the whole 7-R leg locked out unless you do something special? If that's the case, it would make sense to me. But if 7 is directly accessible from all gears, then you have four distinct L-R positions instead of just three, all accessible at any time, and that would seem to make it a lot easier to miss a shift. You'd have to be able to stop at a "midpoint" that wasn't the actual middle, whereas with three legs you just have full left/full right/no pressure.

If 7 and R are on their own little track that you can't access in normal shifting, then yeah it's just the same as any other 6-speed with R off to the side and that's fine.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 16, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Ford sees GM's New Truck Parade and pisses on it.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1301_ford_atlas_concept/

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 16, 2013

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That C7 is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if it's better looking than the new Viper, though.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

CornHolio posted:

That C7 is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if it's better looking than the new Viper, though.

Who would have though the Viper would be the more sedate design.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sagebrush posted:

On further inspection -- is the whole 7-R leg locked out unless you do something special? If that's the case, it would make sense to me. But if 7 is directly accessible from all gears, then you have four distinct L-R positions instead of just three, all accessible at any time, and that would seem to make it a lot easier to miss a shift. You'd have to be able to stop at a "midpoint" that wasn't the actual middle, whereas with three legs you just have full left/full right/no pressure.

If 7 and R are on their own little track that you can't access in normal shifting, then yeah it's just the same as any other 6-speed with R off to the side and that's fine.
R is locked out unless stopped, 7 will be locked unless in 6th (or 5th?), as far as I know.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

Who would have though the Viper would be the more sedate design.

Going by the new Vipers that I've seen around here, they look too much like a matchbox rendition of the previous generation of Vipers. The paint they use on them is incredibly bright and eye catching too, which is good if you're into that I guess.

I feel like its more of a weekend toy to putz around in, while the C7 is more like what a 10 year old (and me) would design and daily drive.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know but I still fail to see how it's any different than the Porsche's. Also the problem you describe has been around since there have been more than 3 gears on the top or bottom of the gear selector (e.g, the 2-3 shift putting you in 5th gear, or 5-3 putting you in 1st, although the latter one is usually impossible to do due to the transmission synchronizers).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

F-150's are so gaudy looking, and their backseats on the extended cabs suck rear end. GM's got the truck thing down to a science, but theirs are looking chromed out as well.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Nonsense posted:

F-150's are so gaudy looking, and their backseats on the extended cabs suck rear end. GM's got the truck thing down to a science, but theirs are looking chromed out as well.

At one point you had to pay extra to put chrome on. Now you've got to pay extra to get it off.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's actually the same transmission, the manual just doesn't have the actuators and possibly the two clutches. Given the 40-50lb weight penalty between the 991 S manual and PDK, I'd say it's lacking the extra clutch.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
From a few pages ago, The taurus is already on the new design language, it was just updated like a year ago. It has the same grill and everything.

Im on my phone but check out the new grand cherokee on autoblog. New 3.0l diesel, 8 speed auto across the board including the 6.4l, looks pretty awesome.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

On the new gm trucks tey have literally covered every single surface that can be physically covered with chrome, with chrome. If they want more they would have to make the windshield and the tires chrome too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On the F-series, the work truck matte black plastic grille looks so much better, too.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
A still of the production Porsche 918 was leaked. I like it!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It looks like a 911 had a threeway with an F40 and a Miata Probe.

It'll be well received here.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It's actually the same transmission, the manual just doesn't have the actuators and possibly the two clutches. Given the 40-50lb weight penalty between the 991 S manual and PDK, I'd say it's lacking the extra clutch.

Is that actually possible? Given that the PDK has two input shafts as well as two clutches, and is in effect a pair of transmissions in one box, I don't really think you could convert a PDK to a regular manual without effectively making a whole new transmission.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
So it's apparently all over for the Australian RWD Sedan. Production of both the Commodore and Falcon are looking to end in 2016:

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/end-of-the-road-for-ford-falcon-and-holden-commodore-in-2016/story-fnda1bsz-1226554833139

sports
Sep 1, 2012

the F150 is just a bloated obese version of the barely sensibly-sized ones present in 2000. I dearly miss the what should have been labeled "full-size" Ranger.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

sadnessboner posted:

So it's apparently all over for the Australian RWD Sedan. Production of both the Commodore and Falcon are looking to end in 2016:

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/end-of-the-road-for-ford-falcon-and-holden-commodore-in-2016/story-fnda1bsz-1226554833139

Appropriate username for the post.

Both the Falcon and the Commodore have been close to being axed in recent years only to be rescued, so I wouldn't count them out just yet. On the other hand, being a niche vehicle built in a very uncompetitive labour market doesn't help their cause much.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 16, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

sports posted:

the F150 is just a bloated obese version of the barely sensibly-sized ones present in 2000. I dearly miss the what should have been labeled "full-size" Ranger.

The Ranger, the other light trucks and reasonably sized half-tons were killed by CAFE regs. Considering it has to be ridiculously huge, I think the styling of the Atlas is done pretty well. The headlights in particular are well done and elegant. I think it's a nice step away from the 'make everything look like a big rig' look that the full-size truck market has been afflicted with for a decade.

And it doesn't have squircle lights or JC-Whitney vents all over it

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Throatwarbler posted:

From a few pages ago, The taurus is already on the new design language, it was just updated like a year ago. It has the same grill and everything.

poo poo I guess you're right, I didn't look closely enough. All the full-sized pictures on ford.com are some dumb honeycomb grille, it looks so much less aggressive and awesome than the 5-bar the Fusion is rocking.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Pudgygiant posted:

poo poo I guess you're right, I didn't look closely enough. All the full-sized pictures on ford.com are some dumb honeycomb grille, it looks so much less aggressive and awesome than the 5-bar the Fusion is rocking.

I think the Taurus looks great with that grill. Much better than the odd tri-bar it debut with. It kind of harkens back to the Crown Victoria that it is replacing in spirit. And keeps its own unique face as the big Ford sedan until it's next redo in a few years.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I doubt it, I don't think GM has a dual clutch gearbox to use. The auto is fine for the mid life crisis buyer or person that doesn't know any better. The enthusiast is going to want the manual.

The manual also has the autoblip on downshift which should make it much easier to drive quickly. Not that I think that, that matters to most Corvette buyers. My step dad only cares that it makes a loud noise and chirps the tires when he slams on the gas. Yes, it's a auto.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sadnessboner posted:

drat, that is sad if it is true. The Australian media can be fairly harsh and over the top with their "death of the local car industry" news. However I wonder if Ford will totally close down all its plants, rather than using them for other Ford products.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

drat, that is sad if it is true. The Australian media can be fairly harsh and over the top with their "death of the local car industry" news. However I wonder if Ford will totally close down all its plants, rather than using them for other Ford products.

They love to scare the factory workers. I would imagine that they would close down the plants; there are many cheaper places to produce cars all over Asia and Oceania, plus shipping from Australia is slightly more expensive (last I checked, I know it was way more than from Japan) than shipping from somewhere like Thailand, China, or wherever they would build cars.

Still bums me out, I'm a rather large Commodore fan, though I've never been particularly fond of the Falcon except for the 1970's ones.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

no please Australian government please throwing money and these two lovely companies so they can continue failing.

dissolve ford/holden AU, sell the plants to manufacturers that can build popular models here, abolish the tariffs on cars that are imported.

cheap cars that people actually want! what a novel idea.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm guessing this means America's chance of getting a ute has gone from zero to even more zero :(

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

KozmoNaut posted:

I really want some mad as a hatter company to make a rear-engined FWD car someday, just to mess with people.

I've often thought the same thing. It would be a wheelspin machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

KozmoNaut posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car

A mad-as-a-hatter (but also awesome) dude already did it. :)