Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't wait for Xavier: Renegade Angel

Is this definite? If so, frittata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not definite. They've only confirmed a few but they weren't really denying any either. It was more put in a "these and more will be available" kind of way. I can't see why they wouldn't' put up Xavier. No one's rushing to pay to see that that hasn't already.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I just want Samurai Jack

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
edit: oops hosed that up

when did attachments stop working

and now it's there. i'm just gonna leave this as an inadvertent dada-ist statement.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 15, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

12 Oz Mouse and Perfect Hair Forever potentially on Netflix?

:getin:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hopefully delocated gets put up as well.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Wouldn't mind seeing Chowder and The Misadventures of Flapjack added to Netflix.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...
So...are we done recommending movies?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So just stumbled over a movie called Monster Brawl and it's apparently about a pay per view event consisting of monsters fighting each other.

The opening credits have Jimmy Heart, David Fowely, Kevin Nash, and Herb Dean(the ufc referee) as cast members of this. Also the voice over is done by Lance Henriksen.

It's gonna suck but gonna watch the crap out of this. :allears:

edit: Oh my god it's so bad, it's amazing!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 15, 2013

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

So just stumbled over a movie called Monster Brawl and it's apparently about a pay per view event consisting of monsters fighting each other.

The opening credits have Jimmy Heart, David Fowely, Kevin Nash, and Herb Dean(the ufc referee) as cast members of this. Also the voice over is done by Lance Henriksen.

I saw the DVD at Rasputin and just stared at the package for ten minutes. Glad to see it's on Netflix and I don't have to buy it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I was scrolling through the new "Gay & Lesbian Movies" category on my Netflix's front page, and discovered that Heavenly Creatures is on Instant Watch. Heavenly Creatures is a film by Peter Jackson, of the Lord Of The Rings fame. Based on a true story, it's about two oung girls that fall in love with each other, but their parents disapprove, and separate the girls. It's a bizarre addition to Jackson's filmography, as it's not ultra-violent like Lord Of The Rings or Dead Alive, but it's worth watching.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bash Ironfist posted:

It is so bad it's bad. Really it is just the least watchable thing I've ever fast forwarded through. Not that I had high hopes, but it is super awful; RiffTrax couldn't help that mess.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I was scrolling through the new "Gay & Lesbian Movies" category on my Netflix's front page, and discovered that Heavenly Creatures is on Instant Watch. Heavenly Creatures is a film by Peter Jackson, of the Lord Of The Rings fame. Based on a true story, it's about two oung girls that fall in love with each other, but their parents disapprove, and separate the girls. It's a bizarre addition to Jackson's filmography, as it's not ultra-violent like Lord Of The Rings or Dead Alive, but it's worth watching.
I'm also goddamned convinced the fantasy scenes in Heavenly Creatures are what got him the opportunity to do The Lord of the Rings. Heavenly Creatures: Still Peter Jackson's best film.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 15, 2013

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I just started watching the TV show Reaper on the advice of a friend, and so far it is fantastic!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I’ve currently been watching older movies from the 60s and 70s and would like suggestions for anything in the following categories:

* Police/Revenge – like Deathwish, Dirty Harry, Serpico
* Post Apocalyptic – like A Boy and His Dog, Last Man on Earth
* So bad its good – like The Car, The Octagon (from 1980, but close enough)
* Schlocky Sci-fi or horror – like Journey to the Seventh Planet, Living Dead Girl

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 16, 2013

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Double post

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 16, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Keanu Grieves posted:

I'm also goddamned convinced the fantasy scenes in Heavenly Creatures are what got him the opportunity to do The Lord of the Rings. Heavenly Creatures: Still Peter Jackson's best film.

And Jackson included it in a film package he sent to conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe as well to sell them on the idea that he would work them to make great films.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also literally the first film with Kate Winslet in it and she's amazing. A thrilling tale of two girls who take their fantasies TOO FAR!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm into the second season of The West Wing and don't understand the "skip the first season" crowd. The only obnoxious thing about season 1 was Mandy and they basically make her disappear in season 2. But she's pretty much ignored for most of season 1 anyways. Awesome show though.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
Mahoning, I'm still in Season 1 and I love it. It's very 90's but in a good way. Mandy basically disappeared after the first 10 episodes, and when she shows up it's never at the forefront. Just mostly in the background. If the first season is the weak one of the Sorkin years, then I am way more happy with this show then I ever thought I might be. Seriously, this is starting to reach top 10 for me(not that I have a top 10).

Episodes like A Proportional Response, The State Dinner, and Celestial Navigation are beautiful pieces of television art. Pretty much every character is great which is why Mandy sticks out so much. Danny annoys me a bit but I suspect that is the point. Everyone always says OK. Seriously, once you notice it you can't ignore it. Ok. Ok. Must be a Sorkin thing.

Otherwise, great show.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Glug_Glug posted:

Mahoning, I'm still in Season 1 and I love it. It's very 90's but in a good way. Mandy basically disappeared after the first 10 episodes, and when she shows up it's never at the forefront. Just mostly in the background. If the first season is the weak one of the Sorkin years, then I am way more happy with this show then I ever thought I might be. Seriously, this is starting to reach top 10 for me(not that I have a top 10).

Episodes like A Proportional Response, The State Dinner, and Celestial Navigation are beautiful pieces of television art. Pretty much every character is great which is why Mandy sticks out so much. Danny annoys me a bit but I suspect that is the point. Everyone always says OK. Seriously, once you notice it you can't ignore it. Ok. Ok. Must be a Sorkin thing.

Otherwise, great show.

The only other thing that bugs me (it doesn't really bug me but its noticeable) is everyone has the exact same sense of humor. It makes it obvious that everyone's lines are written by the same person. It works really well for Josh and President Barlett but on some people it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mahoning posted:

The only other thing that bugs me (it doesn't really bug me but its noticeable) is everyone has the exact same sense of humor. It makes it obvious that everyone's lines are written by the same person. It works really well for Josh and President Barlett but on some people it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

This right here is why I personally have never liked Sorkin's TV work. The characters in his plays and films just feel a lot more diverse and distinct.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This right here is why I personally have never liked Sorkin's TV work. The characters in his plays and films just feel a lot more diverse and distinct.

Well, while I certainly could understand it, I find it entertaining enough that its forgivable, at least to me. I guess I'm willing to trade realism for entertainment value. I'm keenly aware that most of the characters don't act in a "real" manner but its entertaining enough as is I think.

The episode on Air Force One where President Bartlett makes CJ wear the Notre Dame hat and sing the fight song as they fly over South Bend had me rolling.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

* So bad its good – like The Car, The Octagon (from 1980, but close enough)

Let me introduce you to The Van

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I’ve currently been watching older movies from the 60s and 70s and would like suggestions for anything in the following categories:

* Police/Revenge – like Deathwish, Dirty Harry, Serpico

Is Dog Day Afternoon still on? It'd be a good fit here.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What was the recommendation for good horror on netflix? I know folks were wishy-washy on VHS.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Is Dog Day Afternoon still on? It'd be a good fit here.

Unfortunately, it is not. It should be back on sometime soon, it wavers a lot between available and not available.

The Dittus
Dec 8, 2006
How To Survive A Plague is streaming. It's nominated for an Academy Award for Best Doc. It details the early years of the aids epidemic when people were being turned away from hospitals, no drugs were available and a diagnosis was a death sentence. It follows the activist efforts of ACT UP (AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power) and I was fortunate to go to a screening in my city with a q&a with ACT UP's media director from the late 80s early 90s.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've never seen the West Wing, but I have seen Sports Night, and I enjoyed that show. I also saw Studio 60 too.

The one thing I have to ask about the West Wing is that on Sports Night and Studio 60, sometimes Sorkin would get really preachy and more concerned about making a point than he was about making interesting and entertaining television. And sometimes, he would do this despite the fact that reality was completely at odds with what he was trying to argue for (like the FCC subplot in Studio 60). It's really annoying when he does this, because it would end up in weird tonal shifts, like how Sports Night would be a really funny and outlandish comedy one week and then the next be an angst filled drama with people's lives collapsing in on themselves, or he would get some major facts wrong which would completely negate what he was trying to say anyway.

Basically, I expect it to be entertaining, but does it have that one Sorkin trait that really annoys me when it pops up?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've never seen the West Wing, but I have seen Sports Night, and I enjoyed that show. I also saw Studio 60 too.

The one thing I have to ask about the West Wing is that on Sports Night and Studio 60, sometimes Sorkin would get really preachy and more concerned about making a point than he was about making interesting and entertaining television. And sometimes, he would do this despite the fact that reality was completely at odds with what he was trying to argue for (like the FCC subplot in Studio 60). It's really annoying when he does this, because it would end up in weird tonal shifts, like how Sports Night would be a really funny and outlandish comedy one week and then the next be an angst filled drama with people's lives collapsing in on themselves, or he would get some major facts wrong which would completely negate what he was trying to say anyway.

Basically, I expect it to be entertaining, but does it have that one Sorkin trait that really annoys me when it pops up?

This does happen in the first season, but it lessens as the show goes on. Also, if Sorkin preachiness bothers you, do not under any circumstances watch The Newsroom.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Another very small bone to pick with Th West Wing: the goddamn terrible music during the closing credits that sounds like the terrible music from the opening credits of some goofy 90's family comedy like Honey I Shrunk the Kids or something.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Another very small bone to pick with Th West Wing: the goddamn terrible music during the closing credits that sounds like the terrible music from the opening credits of some goofy 90's family comedy like Honey I Shrunk the Kids or something.

Yeah I usually try to be quick on the draw to click Play Next when the episodes end.

The Dittus
Dec 8, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Agreed. Especially a let down when you compare it to the opening theme which literally gives me chills. God I love this show.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This does happen in the first season, but it lessens as the show goes on. Also, if Sorkin preachiness bothers you, do not under any circumstances watch The Newsroom.

I'm not sure it lessens as the show goes on so much as preachiness in a show about politics fits in perfectly. Josh is ranting about how badly this country funds secondary education because he's literally trying to solve how this country funds secondary education.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tonight I watched the Devil Inside. First off, don't watch it. Second, the first thing I was recommended afterwards was Malcom in the Middle. I love it when Netflix's recommendations get all weird on me.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I checked the last few pages, and didn't see Detachment. Starring Adrien Brody, directed by Tony Kaye.

I thought it was fantastic. Very dark, moody film.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Detachment/70230089?trkid=8133737

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Speaking of the Newsroom, is there any way to watch last season that doesn't involve :filez:?

I just finished the first season of The West Wing, and noticed the preachiness, but didn't really have a problem with it. I think the only thing that really stood out as out of place was Donna, who seemed to only be there as an audience surrogate. Normally I would forgive that, but the way they went about it just felt really off.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

JohnSherman posted:

Speaking of the Newsroom, is there any way to watch last season that doesn't involve :filez:?

Be subscribed to HBO and use HBOGo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GonSmithe posted:

Be subscribed to HBO and use HBOGo.

No wonder Game of Thrones was the most pirated show last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I just finished the first season of The West Wing, and noticed the preachiness, but didn't really have a problem with it. I think the only thing that really stood out as out of place was Donna, who seemed to only be there as an audience surrogate. Normally I would forgive that, but the way they went about it just felt really off.

Donna gets way better.

• Locked thread