Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Kudosx posted:

I have a pretty crazy question for all of you. Have any of you tried a beer that you enjoyed more out of a bottle/can than you did when it was in a glass?

I'm now drinking my second Hopslam, and I'm drinking it out of a bottle. Last year when I enjoyed Hopslam the most, it was when I drank it directly out of the bottle. I thought this was just coincidence, and it was because it was a fresher batch or something. Right now I'm enjoying this bottle far more than I enjoyed the previous one, and I kind of think it's because I'm drinking it out of the bottle.

I am getting the honey flavor that I remember, and the little bit of aroma I'm able to get through the bottle is really awesome. Am I crazy? I don't think I've ever enjoyed any other beer more out of a bottle/can than I do in a glass.

I think I poured a Lionshead into a glass one night when I wanted to see that excellent lacing, it was very disappointing tbh and now I just stick to my puzzle bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I gotta admit, even though I said earlier in the thread "am I the only one who doesn't give a gently caress about Hopslam?" I went and got a six pack anyway. If I don't dig it again this year, at least I can probably unload a couple bottles for some Nugget Nectar which I have yet to try.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

There is seriously only one Whole Foods in Bend that gets PtE? Next time you are in Portland, go to Apex and drink your fill. It's almost always on tap there.

Well, there's only one that advertises it on facebook :v: And yeah, I know about Apex and that's a great thing, but getting bottles of it remains a neat experience. There's a wine shop in downtown Bend that pretty much always has it on tap too for some reason, perhaps because relatively few locals realize the place even serves beer.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone in Chicago interested in some BA Blackout? My friend who works there is suggesting we split a case, but I don't really want 12 bottles.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Anyone in Chicago interested in some BA Blackout? My friend who works there is suggesting we split a case, but I don't really want 12 bottles.

I'd take a four pack for sure.

poopfart
May 5, 2010
I guess I just want to brag on a local brewery, but anyone in the Southwest Missouri area needs to make an effort to sip some Mother's. They took the area by storm two years ago and opened in an old bread factory. Now they probably pour as much, if not more, than Boulevard in our area. They have a great IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Pils, and I like their American Blonde as much as any.

On a side note, another local brewery called Springfield Brewing Co., which had a lovely restaurant and an even shittier brewery, recently went under new ownership, management, and brewmastership. It was previously owned by Mueller, which produces commercial stainless steel containers, who wanted to promote their product in action. So, they made a dog poo poo brewery that produced watery pilsners and waterier wheat beers. But, under new ownership that has all changed. Now, their pilsner is hands down awesome, the way a real pilsner should be. Most locals don't even realize that this transition happened, which is unfortunate.

I know the beer trading thread is separate, but I'll be making known in it that I will be willing to send some for those interested.

poopfart fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 16, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, I'll take up to a 4 pack if you have it available.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

poopfart posted:

:words: about Mother's

Their Winter Grind is exceptional. It's essentially a lighter version of Breakfast Stout.
Good beers coming from all over Missouri. except St. Louis

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

ShaneB posted:

If you were to ship one to me, I'd be so angry that I would probably lose my cool and send you beer to "get even".

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Uuudar posted:

Dubhe is one of the better black IPAs out there. Hop Notch is meh; it's not bad, but it certainly isn't anything to write home about for an IPA.

Pretty much the same experience for me, Hop Notch underwhelmed and Dubhe is really good. Also, their Bristlecone Brown Ale is amazing!

Oh, and I finally had Big Eye on tap last night, and I like it more than Sculpin. Really fantastic IPA. Although I've only had Sculpin on tap once and I have no idea how fresh it was, I really need to give it another try.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Sublimer posted:

I passed on a bottle of 2011 BA Hibernation Ale because it was $26 tonight. Has anyone had this? I haven't had the regular hibernation ale for a few years but i don't remember it being SO good that sticking it in whiskey barrels for a while would make it taste good enough to warrant a $26 price tag.

I had it on tap and thought it was pretty bland I don't remember exact tasting notes but the flavor seemed really restrained compared to my memories of Hibernation Ale. The barrel flavors were really mellow with only a hint of bourbon on the finish with a thick syrupy dark fruits intro to mid-taste. I didn't bother getting another $5 glass let alone bothering with a $26 bottle.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hey is that Odell chocolate milk stout worth going out of my way to get? Is it as chocolatey as like Terrapin's?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Well, there's only one that advertises it on facebook :v: And yeah, I know about Apex and that's a great thing, but getting bottles of it remains a neat experience. There's a wine shop in downtown Bend that pretty much always has it on tap too for some reason, perhaps because relatively few locals realize the place even serves beer.

Belmont Station got the bottles and limited it to one per customer, so even with a high-traffic beer spot, it lasted a few days.

Saraveza also gets bottles pretty often, though you have to ask for it, and they often put up a keg of Russian River on trivia nights.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Finally a Maine Beer that I'm super impressed with, King Titus. This may be the best porter I've ever had. The nose is sweet with milk chocolate and a roasted coffee aroma, but the flavor is bitter with dark chocolate and a roasted coffee flavor that hits hard on the intro and stays through to the finish. There's a light caramel sweetness I pick up after the initial shock of intense dark chocolate and coffee that balances this nicely. The body is amazing here too, super thick and velvety, very chewy. This is a great porter and I think I like it more than Edmund Fitzgerald.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
The Saucer has a cask of Foothills Hoppyum right now that's aged with Skittles and Sour Patch Kids. I can't even begin to imagine what that's like. Highly sad that I'm stuck at work for the next 6 hours as I doubt it'll still be around tomorrow.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Valencia posted:

The Saucer has a cask of Foothills Hoppyum right now that's aged with Skittles and Sour Patch Kids. I can't even begin to imagine what that's like. Highly sad that I'm stuck at work for the next 6 hours as I doubt it'll still be around tomorrow.

A friend once homebrewed a beer with Atomic Fireballs. Nearly a decade later and he's still sitting on some because- SURPRISE!- it was undrinkable.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Opened an Alesmith Barrel Aged Wee Heavy with friends last night. It smelled like turpentine and oak. Fusels, honey, and citrus flavors when it was fridge-cold. Once it was above 40 degrees it tasted like scotch and nothing else. Very hot still. If you've got a bottle hold on to it for at least a year.

BA Wee Heavy would have been the most scotchy beer I'd ever tasted if not for the second thing we opened last night: Brouwerij Hof Ten Dormaal BA Project Brew #7, aged in Ardbeg casks. Tasting notes as follows:
PEATPEATPEATPEATPEATPEATpeatpeatbandaidspeatpeatPEATPEATPEAT
This was peatier than Paradox Smokehead. Peatier than chewing on a bog mummy. I was burping peat after breakfast this morning. It was...glorious, but I'm really drat glad I only had to drink four ounces.

Someone also randomly brought a Rahr & Sons Iron Thistle to our table. It's a scotch ale, but after the above two beers I don't think I can give useful tasting notes. Didn't seem objectionable, at least.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

Brouwerij Hof Ten Dormaal BA Project Brew

Has anyone tried any of the other ones of these? Are any worth the price?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

bartolimu posted:

Someone also randomly brought a Rahr & Sons Iron Thistle to our table. It's a scotch ale, but after the above two beers I don't think I can give useful tasting notes. Didn't seem objectionable, at least.

"Unobjectionable" seems about the best way to sum up Rahr. Despite living in their distro for years I really can't think of much at all to say about them, and now the DFW area has at least two other really exceptional breweries in Peticolas and Deep Ellum so.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

Has anyone tried any of the other ones of these? Are any worth the price?

I had the cognac one. It was alright.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Valencia posted:

Any kind of goofy rear end cask like this can easily be recreated at home if you feel the need. It's best if you have a homebrew bottle capper because then you could just open a bottle of IPA and quickly drop in a couple skittles and sour patch kids and recap it, then open it a week later. You'd lose a bit of carbonation but it'd still be pretty much as intended. If you don't have one just pour a pint of IPA, throw in like 3x the amount of candy you think you should and then drink it 20 minutes later.

I don't know when the joy of a cask changed from drinking delicious unfiltered beer to putting the wackiest poo poo you can find in it, but it's extremely disspointing. I think we could do without a cask with bacon or york peppermint patties or oreos or skittles.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Stone RIS. I have to find a steady source for this.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I'd be down for a few bottles or a 4 pack or whatever. Anyone seen Blacknote in Chicago? And is Hopslam hitting the shelves tomorrow at most places?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Captain Shortbus posted:

This is my favorite RIS of all time. I really wish I would have picked up more than 7 bottles to age... 12 would have been much more appropriate. I can't get enough of it, I don't even enjoy Founders, or Expedition as much... although both of those are drat close 2nds.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

I've got a half dozen. Luckily, it's not hard to get when it's out, and goddamn even in overpriced Chicago it's fairly cheap.

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002
Just picked up a case of Nugget Nectar at release and it is as awesome as I remembered. It is such a great mix of a imperial red and a double IPA and it hits the high points of both styles. Apparently it should be much more available this year so people in PA, NJ, NY, MD, and OH will be able to snag more of it. I had CCB tocobaga fresh in Tampa and both beers are hands down the best in the style. Maine's red Zoe just came around our parts and it isn't even close.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Josh Wow posted:

I don't know when the joy of a cask changed from drinking delicious unfiltered beer to putting the wackiest poo poo you can find in it, but it's extremely disspointing. I think we could do without a cask with bacon or york peppermint patties or oreos or skittles.

can't speak to this as far as it being a larger trend, but the vast majority of Firkin Friday-type experiments i've tried- particularly those with poo poo like candy in them- have been pretty bad.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

funkybottoms posted:

can't speak to this as far as it being a larger trend, but the vast majority of Firkin Friday-type experiments i've tried- particularly those with poo poo like candy in them- have been pretty bad.

Haven't had any with candy, but I did get to try a cask of porter on Moon Pies, and that was actually really delicious.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

"Unobjectionable" seems about the best way to sum up Rahr. Despite living in their distro for years I really can't think of much at all to say about them, and now the DFW area has at least two other really exceptional breweries in Peticolas and Deep Ellum so.

Rahr does have history going for them and they've been pretty resilient. The beer's gotten a lot better since their roof collapsed, but I do agree that they don't really produce anything that stands out. Deep Ellum is extremely inconsistent. Lakewood's the other good brewery here :cheers:

Oh yeah - this just in, Firestone Walker's starting up distribution to Texas and grapevine says Founders is next.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Holy crap sometimes it really does pay off to be a regular. My buddy saved me a hop slam 6er and a single black note for a few hours to see if I'd come by after work. He was about to open them up to anyone when I strolled over after work.

Apparently the binnys in Schaumburg sold through 30cases of hopslam in under 6 hours. Madness.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Holy crap sometimes it really does pay off to be a regular. My buddy saved me a hop slam 6er and a single black note for a few hours to see if I'd come by after work. He was about to open them up to anyone when I strolled over after work.

Apparently the binnys in Schaumburg sold through 30cases of hopslam in under 6 hours. Madness.

The Foremost in Villa Park is listing Black Note. Place gouges like a motherfucker, but a friend swung by on his way home from work and managed to score a bottle for both of us. Even at the $9 price, it's worth it...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

The Foremost in Villa Park is listing Black Note. Place gouges like a motherfucker, but a friend swung by on his way home from work and managed to score a bottle for both of us. Even at the $9 price, it's worth it...

Jeez. But I hear great things so may as well go for it. I think mine was 6.50$ or so.

I also picked up the Oatmeal Stout, Velvet Merlin, from Firestone Walker. I haven't tried this one yet. Probably what I'll have tonight as I need to keep working :(

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Welp the first week of February I will be flying out to Portland because Cigar City is going to be collaborating with Widmer. Why I'm going is anyone's guess but I'm pretty loving stoked since I haven't been before.

How long will you be in town? If it's possible for you to be here the weekend of February 16th, you can go to [url=http://oregonbeer.org/zwickelmania/]ZwickelMania{/url].

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I was not a fan of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, but their Coffee variant is one of the best things I've drank all year. I'm honestly in love with this :swoon:

The nose is earthy with roasted coffee and chocolate, perhaps a light oak and vanilla. The taste is earthy with roasted coffee on the intro but syrupy sweet chocolate blends with it by the mid-taste introducing light vanilla. The finish maintains the flavor of roasted coffee, syrupy chocolate and light vanilla but adds a touch of bourbon and oak and it finishes semi-dry.

My only regret about drinking this is that I don't have fresh fudge to eat this with. $20 bottle is well worth it, even my girlfriend loves it and she hates anything bourbon barrel aged. The beer manager where I bought this said he's going to wait since he's heard it's too hot, not way at all. This is beautiful drinking right now bottled 2 months ago.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Jeez. But I hear great things so may as well go for it. I think mine was 6.50$ or so.

I also picked up the Oatmeal Stout, Velvet Merlin, from Firestone Walker. I haven't tried this one yet. Probably what I'll have tonight as I need to keep working :(

I told my buddy to get me a 4 pack at that price. I know that that's really gouging and I shouldn't be supporting shops like that, but... That's still only about $18 for a 750. And if I walked into a store and saw a Black Note 750 for $18,I'd buy three.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

How long will you be in town? If it's possible for you to be here the weekend of February 16th, you can go to [url=http://oregonbeer.org/zwickelmania/]ZwickelMania{/url].

Nope I'll be only there from the 5th - 8th. :( I've always heard awesome things about that though.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Holy poo poo I drank the Sierra Nevada Russian River collaboration "Brux" and it is by far the best beer I've drunk this year. Perfectly balanced farmhouse ale, brett complementing the flavor rather than overwhelming, just freaking delicious. I've never had a beer that tasted like sour apple, but this did, and it was really great. Worth the $17, every penny, and I may get a couple to age. Just incredible.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

ChiTownEddie posted:

Huh, I was just at the store down the street and there was definitely a couple of sixers of Hopslam just chillin' in the fridge. I'm not usually a fan of IPAs so I left it alone, I didn't realize it was that coveted. I am not a very good beer geek I guess. That same store still has a stash of Two Brothers Red Eye coffee porter though, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Anybody have thoughts on Kona's Koko Nut Brown? Triton just tapped some and I was thinking of checking it out this weekend.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

runchild posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Kona's Koko Nut Brown? Triton just tapped some and I was thinking of checking it out this weekend.

I picked up a 6er because it was $8 before tax and their Pipeline Porter is a really good coffee porter, I haven't had the brown ale yet but I'll try it tomorrow night and share impressions if you want to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Midorka posted:

I picked up a 6er because it was $8 before tax and their Pipeline Porter is a really good coffee porter, I haven't had the brown ale yet but I'll try it tomorrow night and share impressions if you want to wait.

I can wait, I'm trying to get some of my friends together for a visit to Triton so it probably won't happen until later in the weekend. And now I want to try Pipeline, I usually like coffee porters. Not sure if I can find any around Indy, though.