Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's mostly useful to be able to switch between sneaky gear vs. heavy armor vs. science++ equipment sets as exploration dictates, or auto-switching into a diving mask. I mean, that's what everybody else uses it for, that's why it was added, right? Right? :sigh:

e: We need Boone with this mod's abilities so he can more intelligently use weapons beyond "my rifle, or charge with a machete" and so there's a button for "sit here, it's an ambush, don't run into my mines wtf boone"

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Cirosan posted:

Also, I may end up doing one more update for the Ulysses Companion mod. Along with some minor bug fixes, I'll also be adding a note you can find on Ulysses' corpse if he dies while hired. Same sort of deal as Boone's letter to his wife, tech-wise. I think it adds a nice bit of closure to Ulysses' story if he ends up dying in your service. Here's the full text of the note; feel free to give me some feedback on it. I tried to capture Ulysses' manic rear end as best I could.

I really like this letter. It sounds like the nonsense he would say, but once you scrape off the embellishments, Ulysses actually has a point that makes sense.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Cirosan posted:

surely you don't mean all the features :ohdear:

Seriously though, I don't mean to be overly critical. I read the rest of it and I like the idea of a companion whose skills you can develop personally and has way more detailed and varied interactions with the gameworld.

But just once can we please have an ambitious companion mod that doesn't include some creepy virtual dress-up poo poo?

The see-through lingerie sleepwear in that mod is pretty bad, but the only other part of it that needs work is the random banter (the frequency of which CAN be adjusted, or even disabled, it's just weak) Ditch the dress-up aspect (at least the pathetic wank material part) and put in some banter on the level of the Melissa Lewis mod, and it would be the best companion out there.

Actually, if someone changed the Gilbert mod to use the male NCR trooper you rescue in Boulder City, with the same functionality, it would be pretty great. Most of these mods just use voice acting clipped from other NPCs in the game, but the only male companion mod worth a drat is Niner, who has his own voice acting. The male voice acting clips are sitting there waiting to be used, they just need the same treatment Wendy/Melissa/Sunny got in their mods.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 16, 2013

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
This game is so crazy gorgeous sometimes.

I'm really happy with how my play-through is going, especially with how it compares so favorably to my experience playing Fallout 1. It's tough, there's tons of tactical decisions.

I think my next step may be to get a blank map printed at FedEx Kinko's so I can disable fast travel, hide map icons, and add a non-lore-breaking travel service.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Digital dress-up can be for comedy too you know. :colbert:

One of my runs through Fallout 3 involved piling on mods so I could run around with 4 companions as a sentai team in color-coded armor (and lightsabers).

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

A couple of things.

One, the expansion radio stations in the OP are amazing, especially the patriotic one.

Two, the monster mod appears to be a victim of nexus politics and doesn't really exist at the moment, at least there.

MoMod had commercial assets in it and has had them for a while. People complained and pointed it out for a long time like Shrapnel but they never did anything about it until Millenia finally got involved to put an end to it there. If you're gonna make poo poo like that you can't put it on Nexus. We made TA knowing it could never go on Nexus.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Not discounting the armor-swapping ability - that seems like a really handy thing to have, concept-wise. It's just... when you have separate containers for "swimwear and sleepwear" and skimpy lingerie... well, you'll forgive me if I get a case of the jibblies.

But enough about that. Let's drop this topic like a frivolous lawsuit.

Twincityhacker posted:

I really like this letter. It sounds like the nonsense he would say, but once you scrape off the embellishments, Ulysses actually has a point that makes sense.
Thanks. Ulysses is a very complicated character, to say the least, and I tried to capture his voice as best I could. Glad you approve.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Once again, Johnny Five Aces comedy companion mod for Wild Wasteland.

There is a mini mod that turns playing cards into throwable melee weapons.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Please, Sam. He had a family.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cirosan posted:

Not discounting the armor-swapping ability - that seems like a really handy thing to have, concept-wise. It's just... when you have separate containers for "swimwear and sleepwear" and skimpy lingerie... well, you'll forgive me if I get a case of the jibblies.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. Just was pointing out alternatives (assuming you were even talking to me here).

SeanBeansShako posted:

When I first started looking for mods, I looked for this immediately, assuming goons would have been on the case. Still waiting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Here you go.

Combined with this bad rear end suit we just need a really good over the top goon VA to make the perfect Johnny Five Aces companion mod.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is he supposed to sound like? I might be down for voice work.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

He should have those orange balls as a weapon too. Maybe make them into grenades.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

His quest upgrade perk should give you a AP bonus and a few other things too. Somebody find an insane over the top sword that'd make the guys behind Final Fantasy cringe for his melee weapon.

A steampunk short sword or something.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Turtlicious posted:

What is he supposed to sound like?

McLovin.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That would get annoying to listen to for any extended period of time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Can he be made to constantly be holding a beer and smoking?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Cirosan, does the Into the Past perk only apply to armours with the prefix Pre-War? Is there any quick way I can add more armours to that list?

edit: Just found this, gonna use it on my next run through.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

Cirosan, does the Into the Past perk only apply to armours with the prefix Pre-War? Is there any quick way I can add more armours to that list?
The perk affects 28 different pieces of clothing; for full details, look at the form list CCOPerkBoatsAgainstTheCurrent in FNVEdit. Adding armors to that list will make the perk effect apply to them as well. Similarly, the DLC patches add pre-war armor from the DLC to that list.

Fun fact: The Into the Past perk was, as the form list and its ID indicated, supposed to be called Boats Against the Current, an obvious allusion to the closing line of The Great Gatsby. But that was too long, so the perk derives its name from a different part of the same closing line. The ending slides for a House victory also reference the same line.

CCO is riddled with many such allusions, because I'm a giant nerd that will die alone. Of them, the most obscure is the A Solitary Soul perk, which derives its name from the working title of Kate Chopin's The Awakening.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cirosan posted:

The perk affects 28 different pieces of clothing; for full details, look at the form list CCOPerkBoatsAgainstTheCurrent in FNVEdit. Adding armors to that list will make the perk effect apply to them as well. Similarly, the DLC patches add pre-war armor from the DLC to that list.

Fun fact: The Into the Past perk was, as the form list and its ID indicated, supposed to be called Boats Against the Current, an obvious allusion to the closing line of The Great Gatsby. But that was too long, so the perk derives its name from a different part of the same closing line. The ending slides for a House victory also reference the same line.

CCO is riddled with many such allusions, because I'm a giant nerd that will die alone. Of them, the most obscure is the A Solitary Soul perk, which derives its name from the working title of Kate Chopin's The Awakening.

This is how you know your nerd video game mod is in the right hands. :swoon:

Thanks for the tutorial by the way. Bookmarked and poo poo. If you're going to do compatibility patches, the "Improved Sunny Smiles" would be the way to go. Not the original one.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Turtlicious posted:

What is he supposed to sound like? I might be down for voice work.

I imagine Johnny sounding exactly like Yahtzee. Tell me it doesn't fit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Well he was a goon at one point so. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nah, doesn't work with me. It really is hard to explain what I think Johnny sounds like with me. Consider what you would consider cool snide bad rear end voice acting when your were 13 and work from there.

Maybe with bad some englush voice acting thrown in.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Ugh, I really should have released the throwing aces that I made for TA on nexus, preferably before that guy because now I would just be called ripoff despite mine actually being completed before those went up. (And higher quality, too, proper front/back faces using the actual high res caravan textures.)

I wouldn't mind somehow implementing those into a Johnny companion mod, because that was the biggest inspiration behind mine in the first place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Ugh, I really should have released the throwing aces that I made for TA on nexus, preferably before that guy because now I would just be called ripoff despite mine actually being completed before those went up. (And higher quality, too, proper front/back faces using the actual high res caravan textures.)

I wouldn't mind somehow implementing those into a Johnny companion mod, because that was the biggest inspiration behind mine in the first place.

Well it needs to be his default weapon, obviously.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Seeing you post reminds me to ask the thread if anyone has come across a mod that adds 18th/19th century musket weaponry and uniforms to the game for my next gimmick character (time travelling melee/guns sneering imperialist). All I could come across was a musket mod on nexus that the author has hidden for some reason.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not that I know of, a 19th century guns, swords and knives would be muchly appreciated. Especially with a fancy sword cane we can wield AND wear.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HitTheTargets posted:

I imagine Johnny sounding like Ringo Starr. Because he looks like Ringo Starr.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 16, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That actually kind of fits as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There was a Zybourne Clock fan film being made at one point, borrow their voice talent.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's been a while since I last beat New Vegas and remember my time with it very fondly so I'm planning to go back to it and give it another play through. I was thinking about putting a bit of extra difficulty into this run via the JSawyer mod. Is there a general Goon consensus on this mod? Should I play in hardcore mode with it or just put it on the hardest difficulty?

When I was considering playing hardcore mode on my first run through, most opinions I read were that hardcore mode was difficult in a tedious unfun way, not difficult in an actual challenging way. Does the JSawyer mod change this? I would appreciate some opinions from players that have played the JSawyer mod in hardcore mode.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
I would advise against raising the difficulty to high, I'm pretty sure it just makes the enemies more bullet-spongy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hardcore =/= Difficulty of the game.

You can set the game to Very Easy and have Hardcore mode on.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Xik posted:

It's been a while since I last beat New Vegas and remember my time with it very fondly so I'm planning to go back to it and give it another play through. I was thinking about putting a bit of extra difficulty into this run via the JSawyer mod. Is there a general Goon consensus on this mod? Should I play in hardcore mode with it or just put it on the hardest difficulty?

When I was considering playing hardcore mode on my first run through, most opinions I read were that hardcore mode was difficult in a tedious unfun way, not difficult in an actual challenging way. Does the JSawyer mod change this? I would appreciate some opinions from players that have played the JSawyer mod in hardcore mode.

Hardcore mode has never really been tedious. JSawyer makes it much better. (use oHud as well for a much better way of putting your primary needs on your hud). Cirosan's Classic Overhaul is also recommended, but it's modular nature can lead to an overwhelming amount of plugins to order around. But that's the only issue with it.

The OP is full of recommended things. As always, I'd recommend my own ammo mod, that makes life easier by letting you be able to craft any kind of ammo, in default sizes (1-100) and Massive amounts, (100-10,000) rounds. So you can craft any amount of ammo from 1-10,100 in just two uses. There's a bunch of other, new ammo variants added. (BTHP, varmint, incendiary rounds, buckshot and beehive 25/40mm grenades). A bunch of other recipes to make ammo crafting much easier, too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xik posted:

JSawyer.esp's a pretty common feature of load orders, and I feel pretty confident saying that most people enjoy it. The only complaints I've seen generally come from people who compulsively hoard and, as a result, dislike the plugin's changes to carry weight.

Keep the difficulty on "Normal"--anything higher just affects the amount of damage you give and receive, making you frail and turning enemies into obnoxious bulletsponges. It doesn't really affect difficulty in any meaningful sense beyond that.

I always play with hardcore enabled, but I can understand criticism leveled against it, specifically that it's tedious. In my opinion, the problem with hardcore mode is that there's no scarcity whatsoever. Beds, food, and water can all be found without even a modicum of effort, which reduces the system to a tedious routine of periodically opening your Pipboy, "eating" or "drinking", and having to sleep every 5 or 6 days. Hardcore mode's other aspects--permadeath for companions, limb damage, stimpak effectiveness, and weighted ammo--are nice things to have, however. In some ways, JSawyer.esp really capitalizes on the system. For example, Stimpak loot is tweaked so that you have a chance of finding "expired" versions (which are less effective) and Stimpaks have a tangible weight (0.25 pounds each), carry weight is significant lowered, preventing you from hoarding as much, and loot frequencies are lowered for various items, including consumables. While JSawyer.esp may make the game somewhat harder, there's still an abundance of consumables in the game world; hunger, thirst, and exhaustion are still tedious values to babysit. It's a very good plugin, however, and a good foundation for any load order.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like Hardcore mode for giving ammunition weight and to a certain extent for making limb damage meaningful but 0.25 seems like quite a bit too heavy for stimpaks given how many there are and how much you rely on them (at least in some situations, a lot of the regular game you barely need them at all but there are also some encounters especially in the DLC where you take a lot of damage quickly.)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I think it sounds like I should just go with hardcore mode but keep it on normal difficulty then. What I am really just looking for is a way to remove or limit that progression where the character ends up as a "one man army". To try and keep that scavenging feeling at the beginning of the game where you actually keep an eye of ammunition usage and put in effort just to survive.

I guess if the eating/sleeping thing ends up just being tedious and not fun I can always disable hardcore mode later. Thanks for the input friends.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Xik posted:

I think it sounds like I should just go with hardcore mode but keep it on normal difficulty then. What I am really just looking for is a way to remove or limit that progression where the character ends up as a "one man army". To try and keep that scavenging feeling at the beginning of the game where you actually keep an eye of ammunition usage and put in effort just to survive.

I guess if the eating/sleeping thing ends up just being tedious and not fun I can always disable hardcore mode later. Thanks for the input friends.

You could probably gently caress around in the geck/other places and have no issues with food/sleep/water. If you use any house, especially a good player house like Lombard Station, you'll never really need to worry about it so long as you visit often, (which you probably will to drop off loot/unneeded weight). If you really want to help/play with the survival thing, my ammo mod (Check the OP) will let you breakdown cases and hulls into brass and plastic, so you can reforge them into whatever you like. It makes the DLC things with weight limits or inventory fuckery (Dead Money/HH) a bit nicer and more interesting, and makes little caches of stuff much more useful.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Jsawyer, CCO, and "Game Settings Tuner" would be the best. I agree that my only criticism with CCO is that it needs a FOMOD script :downs:

Game Settings Tuner lets you change numerous aspects of the game, which you can use to gimp your character however you see fit.

I'm playing a CCO/JSawyer hardcore run with a talky, sciencey, High intelligence/high skill point guy. Companions do most of the heavy firefighting for me.

My next run I think I'm going to disable fast travel and play at a much different timescale.

My hat is off to Cirosan and rope kid, though - with both those plugins as the base rebalance, New Vegas Ultimate Edition pacing is spot on and character progression is really satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I just noticed that Jsawyer doesn't address the Pyromaniac perk and either its required skill (explosive) or the weapons it effects (mostly energy and some unarmed/melee, with only a few explosive ones). I tried to find any discussion of the perk from ye olde Rope Kid but wasn't able to uncover any. There are probably simple mods to change it, I was just hoping to find something 'official' on the decision behind it working as such.