Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
I feel compelled to tell you, Pander, that the last time I can remember a trade going down for someone like Mantle, the price (for DiMaggio) was Curt Schilling, Ernie Lombardi, Chet Lemon, Jimmy Rollins, all in their primes, AND a first-round draft pick. You are getting lowballed quite a bit.

While we mourn the loss of the Larkin-Downing award, that was a hell of a game. And the Heavyweight Championship is a fine consolation.

Send down Hank Thompson, call up Schmidt, and play him at third for the week to rest Grich. Also, I hate to do it, but send down Nolan to work on his control a bit, and bring up Reuschel.

Also, while we are tempted by Oscar Gamble's hair, and the chance to have a young partner for Det. Don Slaught, we'll draft Ken Griffey Sr./. South Bolton's on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Archie Goodwin posted:

I feel compelled to tell you, Pander, that the last time I can remember a trade going down for someone like Mantle, the price (for DiMaggio) was Curt Schilling, Ernie Lombardi, Chet Lemon, Jimmy Rollins, all in their primes, AND a first-round draft pick. You are getting lowballed quite a bit.
I guess I don't have a feel for it. Is a 2011 Beltran that far a dropoff in production from a 1954 Mantle? Especially compared to the upgrade I'd be getting by inserting 2004 Pedro for 2004 Livan Hernandez?

Maybe I'm either misinterpreting the ratings Mogul uses, or over-emphasizing them (94/97 mantle vs 94 Beltran seems like Not a Big Difference to me).

I guess I'll keep shopping, I have time since it's just the Exp Cup.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Draft Spreadsheet for the new page again.

To the owner of South Bolton, what sort of piece are you looking for for your pick?

Perhaps 2005 Craig Biggio or 2011 Adrian Gonzalez?

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 16, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pander posted:

Why is Reggie busy making Adam Dunn look like Tony Gwynn?

Cthulhu Dreams
Pedro, Beltran, and an 80+ reliever of your choice for Mantle?

Deal

You can have the Korean dude

E: Beltran is 09

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Deal

You can have the Korean dude

I'll think on it. Need more education on NUMBERZ before I toss away a potential golden god who might've had a low potential roll this go-around.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Noun, why did you blow up your team?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Pander posted:

I guess I don't have a feel for it. Is a 2011 Beltran that far a dropoff in production from a 1954 Mantle? Especially compared to the upgrade I'd be getting by inserting 2004 Pedro for 2004 Livan Hernandez?

Maybe I'm either misinterpreting the ratings Mogul uses, or over-emphasizing them (94/97 mantle vs 94 Beltran seems like Not a Big Difference to me).

You are over-emphasizing them by a fair amount. Younger, better Beltran is hitting at a .266/.333/9HR clip for me, which is not bad by any means, but it's nothing at all like what young Mantle can do, and has done. The ratings don't tell the whole story by any means, though there are circumstances when they are useful (tell you a guy is just too young to be useful on this roll, like my Dick Allen).

As for your pitching, there'll be an amazing pool of pitchers in the dispersal draft. Get one there, or make a deal for someone who isn't an inner circle Hall guy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

You are over-emphasizing them by a fair amount. Younger, better Beltran is hitting at a .266/.333/9HR clip for me, which is not bad by any means, but it's nothing at all like what young Mantle can do, and has done. The ratings don't tell the whole story by any means, though there are circumstances when they are useful (tell you a guy is just too young to be useful on this roll, like my Dick Allen).

As for your pitching, there'll be an amazing pool of pitchers in the dispersal draft. Get one there, or make a deal for someone who isn't an inner circle Hall guy.
I'll trust my gut and BBRef more than the ratings I guess. I just hate seeing sub-80s ratings for half my pitchers. It's my inner stats geek screaming in rage.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Pander posted:

I'll trust my gut and BBRef more than the ratings I guess. I just hate seeing sub-80s ratings for half my pitchers. It's my inner stats geek screaming in rage.

I'm not gonna lie to you, your bullpen is in deep poo poo. Problem is, it's a massive inefficiency to use a dispersal pick on a reliever when there's still elite guys in the pool. You have a couple options - I haven't looked into your feeders, but chances are good you have some pieces other expansion teams might want - find one with an excess of relievers and get some modern arms. Alternately, trade me (or BWFC or IceMole) some spare parts for our remaining super-draft pick (only we three have one left), where you could get a modern reliever like Ryan Madson or Matt Mantei.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pander posted:

Why is Reggie busy making Adam Dunn look like Tony Gwynn?

A combination of bad luck and a bad cold streak during June/July. I assure you, the man can mash. Just look at his Career numbers.

Pander posted:

Ratings, for the most part, mean absolutely squat in the SuperLeague, Look at Mornacales Cheif Bender. He is rated at an 82, but is currently pitching like crazy, has a 2.77 ERA and 6 K/9. You can pretty safely ignore ratings, as they are pretty random.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm not gonna lie to you, your bullpen is in deep poo poo. Problem is, it's a massive inefficiency to use a dispersal pick on a reliever when there's still elite guys in the pool. You have a couple options - I haven't looked into your feeders, but chances are good you have some pieces other expansion teams might want - find one with an excess of relievers and get some modern arms. Alternately, trade me (or BWFC or IceMole) some spare parts for our remaining super-draft pick (only we three have one left), where you could get a modern reliever like Ryan Madson or Matt Mantei.

I've got quite a few half-decent relievers on my feeder teams and in my current bullpen that I can probably trade off if he needs spare arms. I'd be looking for some better starting pitching or another good bat to round out my lineup, though.

VVVV Let me know when EC May update rolls out if you still need some decent arms, I'll see if I can't find some good relievers.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 16, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mks5000 posted:

A combination of bad luck and a bad cold streak during June/July. I assure you, the man can mash. Just look at his Career numbers.

Ratings, for the most part, mean absolutely squat in the SuperLeague, Look at Mornacales Cheif Bender. He is rated at an 82, but is currently pitching like crazy, has a 2.77 ERA and 6 K/9. You can pretty safely ignore ratings, as they are pretty random.
That helps. I'll trust gut more then. I didn't think Jose Vidro would be knocking on the door of ANY version of Joe Morgan.

I agree (and would find getting Chad Bradford really cool since submariners are the best thing ever). I worry that any player I have that's good enough to trade would be a player I'd really not benefit from losing right now.

I'll take my lumps another month or two and see how things go.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
In a month's time i'll likely still be up for either of those two deals, Pander (bear in mind that, in reference to those ratings being weird, this is actually the first season that Bumgarner hasn't been good for me despite his lower rating).

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Okay, the judges for Bruzer will be:

1. Monathin
2. Senerio
3. mks5000
4. Viscount Slim
5. ForeverBWFC
6. UZWorm
7. CVE

Smasher League Injury Report Week 16

Luna Landers
Greg Maddux (SP) (No Super-Auction!) - 17 days

New Orleans Mashers
Bernie Williams (CF) (Broken E String) - 32 days

Saturn Biosparks
Early Wynn (SP) (Attacked by Jemm, Son of Saturn!) - 32 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Ed Delahanty (IF) (Needed time off to celebrate religious holiday of Bourbonia) - 7 days

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Only fitting that three members of the St. Paul Bearers Executive Committee should sit in judgement on a fourth. If only the lovely kw0134 were available.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Send Wynn to the DL and call up Crowder to take his place.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

mentholmoose posted:

Draft Spreadsheet for the new page again.

To the owner of South Bolton, what sort of piece are you looking for for your pick?

Perhaps 2005 Craig Biggio or 2011 Adrian Gonzalez?

It's ok, I think I know what must be done...

When selecting a player, there are many criteria I look at. Pee Wee Reece and Jim Sundberg were certainly frontrunners for their Gold Glove winning defence. Oscar Gamble was a shoe-in for a while because God knows how I like left-handed sluggers. Then, whilst deliberating, I considered something. In all my career here in the Super-League, I have never displayed the most tactical acumen, conducted the shrewdest trades, or commanded respect as an élite team. Instead, my philosophy has been to select those players to whom has been attached a significance, a higher purpose, a personality. With this in mind, and some Scotch in belly, the W's select...

'07 Adam "The Chosen One" Dunn!

Feel free to belittle and berate this choice at your own convenience...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

Only fitting that three members of the St. Paul Bearers Executive Committee should sit in judgement on a fourth. If only the lovely kw0134 were available.
I'm pretty sure I have no right to sit in judgment of anyone right now given the way my team is playing. Okay, well, it's Bruiser. But the sentiment still stands.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Pander

While I did get your roster moves in, any potential trade you have made will have to wait until the next month as it seems to me like you're still discussing it.

Injury report coming soon.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

ForeverBWFC posted:

Feel free to belittle and berate this choice at your own convenience...

I will choose to berate it.

To the owners of the Phoenixes and Unicorns, I extend the same offer. 2005 Craig Biggio or 2011 Adrian Gonzalez for the pick.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Grinnblade posted:

Pander

While I did get your roster moves in, any potential trade you have made will have to wait until the next month as it seems to me like you're still discussing it.

Injury report coming soon.

That's good. I think I was too panicky about my lovely, lovely pitching. I'll let the dumpster fire burn a while.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Pander posted:

That's good. I think I was too panicky about my lovely, lovely pitching. I'll let the dumpster fire burn a while.

In addition, Whitey K. was your starting 3B vs LHP w/ DH. What do you want to do about that roster-wise?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
New Orleans Mashers

Gahh. Biggio up, Davis in Williams' spot.

And can I get some feedback on whether I can trade with the Landers?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Grinnblade posted:

In addition, Whitey K. was your starting 3B vs LHP w/ DH. What do you want to do about that roster-wise?
Oh, right, have to put someone there. I'll just adjust things completely...

LINEUPS

Vs RHP

1. 2B: Jose Vidro ('04 Expos)
2. SS: Marty Marion ('42 Cardinals)
3. CF: Mickey Mantle ('54 Yanks)
4. RF: Stan Musial ('42 Cardinals)
5. LF: Enos Slaughter ('42 Cardinals)
6. C: Yogi Berra ('54 Yanks)
7. 1B: Nick Johnson ('04 Expos)
8. 3B: Gil McDonald ('54 Yanks)
9. DH: Gene Woodling ('54 Yanks)

Vs LHP

1. SS: Marty Marion ('42 Cardinals)
2. 3B: Gil McDonald ('54 Yanks)
3. RF: Stan Musial ('42 Cardinals)
4. CF: Mickey Mantle ('54 Yanks)
5. LF: Enos Slaughter ('42 Cardinals)
6. C: Walker Cooper ('42 Cardinals)
7. DH: Bob Cerv ('54 Yanks)
8. 1B: Nick Johnson ('04 Expos)
9. 2B: Jose Vidro ('04 Expos)

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

CraigK posted:

And can I get some feedback on whether I can trade with the Landers?
If mrnoun has truly abandoned his team, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best case scenario (for us fellow owners) is that Smasher holds a Super-Auction for all the players on his team.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, the judges for Bruzer will be:

1. Monathin
2. Senerio
3. mks5000
4. Viscount Slim
5. ForeverBWFC
6. UZWorm
7. CVE

Well, this'll be interesting. I'll get something written soon.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ToiletofSadness posted:

If mrnoun has truly abandoned his team, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best case scenario (for us fellow owners) is that Smasher holds a Super-Auction for all the players on his team.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Luna Landers
Greg Maddux (SP) (No Super-Auction!) - 17 days

Also that's too much work anyway during the combined SL/EC season.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Monathin posted:

Also that's too much work anyway during the combined SL/EC season.

Yes, it is. I would also like to hear whether mrnoun is officially renouncing his team before I do anything.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I read Jemm as Jem at first and thought that Early Wynn suffered some sort of Truly Outrageous injury

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII Injury Report - May

Atlantis Aquamen
SP Fergie Jenkins (Pulled hamstring imitating another Jenkins) - 5 days
SP Josh Johnson (The Bends) - 70 days

Brooklyn BABiPs
C/RF Dave Engle (Strained back lifting PBR cases) - 10 days
LR Ricky Diamond (Tried helping Engle, didn't go so well) - 10 days

Canton Catastrophes
2B Carlos Baerga (Don't Cross the Boss) - 9 days
MR Paul Assenmacher (Seriously, don't) - 10 days
P John Franco (Not kidding) - 10 days

Detroit Cougars
2B Charlie Gehringer (bit by the mascot) - 3 days

Harvard Elites
SR Will McEnaney (accusations of plagiarism) - 9 days
LF Barry Bonds (accusations of perjury) - 9 days

Idaho Potatoes
DH Jim Bottomley (No!) - 3 days
SP J.R. Richard (NO!) - 6 days
SP Pete Alexander (NO!!!) - 18 days

Miami Manatees
SP Randy Johnson (Fastball hit bird, bird's family hit back) - 44 days
SP Al Leiter (unfortunate feeding accident) - Out for Season

Million Dollar Men
SP Jake Weimer (Temporary Workforce Reduction) - 35 days
CL Bruce Sutter (Temporary Workforce Reduction) - 65 days
SS Bobby Wallace (Not-so-Temporary Workforce Reduction) - 198 days

Nowhere Men
SP Bill Lee (Got lost in Nowhere) - Will Miss Next Start (3 days)

Omaha Forgettables
SP Dave Stieb (Stubbed toe) - 7 Days (May or may not miss next start, next up is Jimmie Key)

Walney Rakers
SU Al Holland (brief vacation to his namesake) - 6 days

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Canton Catastrophes
2B Carlos Baerga (Don't Cross the Boss) - 9 days
MR Paul Assenmacher (Seriously, don't) - 10 days
P John Franco (Not kidding) - 10 days

IDAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! :argh: I won't forget this!

Call up Verne Fuller from the Minors to cover for Carlos. Fuller takes Baerga's spot in all lineups until the latter is healed.

Paul will have to sit out for now. Move everyone on Team Relief below Assenmacher up one spot to cover him. Move him back to Middle Relief as soon as he's better.

Franco's injury management details to come when I find out how well the El Tiante Experience went.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 17, 2013

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Grinnblade posted:

Miami Manatees
SP Randy Johnson (Fastball hit bird, bird's family hit back) - 44 days
SP Al Leiter (unfortunate feeding accident) - Out for Season

God drat, there goes my best two performing pitchers so far. loving pigeons...

New Rotation (ugh):
SP – Kevin Brown
SP – Kenny Rogers
SP – Octavio Dotel
SP – Nolan Ryan
SP – Zach Britton

And... that's just ugly. I fully expect Nolan Ryan to poo poo his old man pants and be out for the season too. There goes my hopes of being competitive, now I'm rooting for a good draft pick! Tank, Manatees, tank!

EDIT: For clarity: use the above rotation until Johnson is healthy again, at that point change the rotation to the following:

SP - Randy Johnson
SP – Kevin Brown
SP – Kenny Rogers
SP – Nolan Ryan
SP – Octavio Dotel

GrickleGrass fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 17, 2013

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
edit: ignore me

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 16, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Two months without injuries for the Sad Pandas? I must have drafted Herm Schneider as my trainer...

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Pander posted:

Two months without injuries for the Sad Pandas? I must have drafted Herm Schneider as my trainer...

Well, nothing that lasted to the end of a month, anyway. Max Lanier currently has 1 day left on an injury but the starter AFTER him is currently up, so he'll be hale and hearty before his next start which is why he isn't listed.

Reminder: Unless specifically told to put players back in when they become healthy, I will not stop the simulation midway through a month, so minor injuries that come and go will not be listed on the injury report.

edit: also remember that these injuries are as of May 31st. I've had a couple people get confused on this point.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Potatoes, I've got an injured Pete Alexander, you've got an injured Pete Alexander.
Surely we can work something out.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Grinnblade posted:

Walney Rakers
SU Al Holland (brief vacation to his namesake) - 6 days

Just leave him there, we'll cope for a week with a shortened bullpen.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Just sub in Larry Doyle for Gehringer while he's injured, please.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

It's a scientific fact that you can't die on the moon.

:smugdog:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

But still, mrnoun's lack of spirit must be punished.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there. You accuse *me* of all people of lack of spirit? That's unacceptable. That's absurd! That's like accusing Marauder of lacking ambition, or the Packers of still being in the playoffs. I may not idle regularly in the IRC chat anymore, but that's just a sign of good taste at this point. I've still been contributing to the thread(s). Sometimes I get the feeling you don't even read them, Smasher (which is another thing you have in common with the rest of LP).

If you think about it, truly think about it, you'd understand why, of all teams, the Luna Landers HAD to take Sudden Death. This isn't about baseball, or we'd have just taken Jim Sundberg to fill our backup catcher role. Nor is it just about comedy, or we'd have taken Brad Lidge, Super League Hero. No, this is more fundamental than that. This is about who we are, and where we come from. How could I, of all people, pass up Sudden Death?

How the hell, after everything you've written about this team, could you expect us to Fear the Reaper?

No. Any failure that's taken place has been on your part, Smasher: a fundamental failure to understand the characters you've written.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Therefore, I have given Bruzer the following task. He must give a chapter-by-chapter book report on...a certain work of baseball fiction. I will let him introduce it. If he succeeds, he will be let back into the Super-League.

This, however, pretty much did break my spirit.

The final question is, do I still have a team? If so, I have a challenge to make. If not, it's been fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mrnoun posted:

The final question is, do I still have a team? If so, I have a challenge to make. If not, it's been fun.

Yeah, you still have a team.

And if you really think that Bruzer has the follow-through to do twenty (or so) reports on a book, then you're the one who hasn't been paying attention to people's characters.