Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Passed both my bike and car written test today, so my brand-spankin-new properly oriented CA license with a big ol' M1 on it is making its way to me in a couple weeks. :D :D :D :D I can legally ride a bike now!

(this is a big deal because I always, always gently caress up the legal/statistical bullshit questions on the written tests and also I have the memory span of a slow goldfish)

M42 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Congrats, when do you get your Gixxer ot Busa? No point in starting out small you're just gonna end with a literbike anyway. Go big or go home.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Congrats! Now to find a cheap bike :)

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Congrats, when do you get your Gixxer ot Busa? No point in starting out small you're just gonna end with a literbike anyway. Go big or go home.

Female friend of mine just got her M endorsement and went out and picked up her first bike. She's 5'1, maybe 130.

Her choice? '05 Busa.

Yea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ThatCguy posted:

Female friend of mine just got her M endorsement and went out and picked up her first bike. She's 5'1, maybe 130.

Her choice? '05 Busa.

Yea.

hopefully the crash will be a minor one that will still scare some sense into her

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ThatCguy posted:

Her choice? '05 Busa.

Yea.

At least the standover height isn't so bad. IIRC the busa's seat is lower than most of the 600's.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Head down, rear end up, that's the way I like to- OH poo poo A CORNER WHAT DO I DO?!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

Her choice? '05 Busa.

Yea.

Could you buy her a helmet cam or something? That would be fun to watch.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Pffft, poser bikes. I'm going straight to the big leagues.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ThatCguy posted:

Her choice? '05 Busa.

Yea.

:911::banjo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

M42 posted:

Congrats on your license! This is a great first bike, almost impossible to wheelie by accident. Or on purpose.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

M42 posted:

pffft, look at those huge chicken strips

:rolleyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And that ridiculous swingarm extension :rolleyes:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
:v: My friend got a new bike...

:v: I HOPE THEY CRASH

:v: and I want to watch it!

Classy as ever. Never change, CA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ahem, what did you think this was, the something nice forums? :rolleye: lol lol epic burn lol

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
First bike Busa... Come on

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

First bike Busa... Come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWnb4rPMUac

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

"My inexperienced, short, light friend bought a hayabusa as a first bike"

It's not that we're mean, we're just realists. Also, please note that I expressed hope that the resulting crash was minor

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

I think this is a good time to revisit Silver's favorite music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isj0oBjfrxE

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"My inexperienced, short, light friend bought a hayabusa as a first bike"

It's not that we're mean, we're just realists.

"Realists" making a boatload of assumptions. If she bought the 'busa with the intention of it being a beautiful bike to cruise around on, she's probably a heck of a lot less likely to total herself and the bike than some fuckwit who just bought himself a Ninja 250R because it had a fool sik carbon pipe, bro. If she keeps her right hand casual, a 'busa is an absolute pleasure to ride. As a long term 'busa owner, I'm far more concerned about the weighting of the bike and her experience, than even the total weight or the power.

Attitude on the bike leads to as many crashes as anything else, IMVHO.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, let's clear that attitude thing up, then. ThatCguy, what's her ATGATT situation?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont think there are many people here who would disagree with that. At the end of the day though the Hayabusa is a heavy bike, the rider in question is light and inexperienced, and the Busa makes a ton of power. None of those things mix well

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's heavy and powerful even for a big guy, with very strong brakes. So it introduces more things to worry about in a situation already overloaded with things to worry about, the situation of learning to ride.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's heavy and powerful even for a big guy, with very strong brakes. So it introduces more things to worry about in a situation already overloaded with things to worry about, the situation of learning to ride.

I agree with that, never said there weren't better first bikes.

I'd prefer someone learn on a good bike that cover some mistakes and provide some forgiveness, rather than some of the 20 year old shitheaps people seem to trot out as "perfect learners." I'm going through this now looking for a good learner for my five-foot-nothing sister, and the market really is thin down at the Australian LAMS (150kw/tonne p/w ratio) end. Even older bikes that are were decent in their day often end up being totally clapped out now.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

snail posted:

I'd prefer someone learn on a good bike that cover some mistakes and provide some forgiveness, rather than some of the 20 year old shitheaps people seem to trot out as "perfect learners." I'm going through this now looking for a good learner for my five-foot-nothing sister, and the market really is thin down at the Australian LAMS (150kw/tonne p/w ratio) end. Even older bikes that are were decent in their day often end up being totally clapped out now.

A 'Busa is going to neither cover any mistakes, nor provide any forgiveness. As for LAMS bikes, CBR125, CBR250R (either the old 4cyl or new single), Ninja 250 and 300, Aprilia RS125 (2T or 4T), CFMoto V-Night or Leader 150s, YZF125 and R15, and so on. There are shitloads of choices.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

snail posted:

One might make the argument that there are few worse bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, sure there are. A Panigale, for instance. Or a Water Buffalo. Or a Tomahawk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A 'Busa is going to neither cover any mistakes, nor provide any forgiveness. As for LAMS bikes, CBR125, CBR250R (either the old 4cyl or new single), Ninja 250 and 300, Aprilia RS125 (2T or 4T), CFMoto V-Night or Leader 150s, YZF125 and R15, and so on. There are shitloads of choices.

Also the LAMS legal hyosung gt650 or sv650 or er6-n. All of which are (even the hyosung, now) very reliable, moderately fun bikes. The two V-twins have the option of unlocking full power down the line, too.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

snail posted:

If she keeps her right hand casual, a 'busa is an absolute pleasure to ride.

The 1400cc sport bikes make as much power right off idle (2.5k RPM) as the Ninja 250 does at redline. Having a casual wrist won't help much.

Yo friend gonna die.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A 'Busa is going to neither cover any mistakes, nor provide any forgiveness.

I'm never going to convince you otherwise, so I won't try. Don't worry, I raised my eyebrows too at the original story, and can think of more suitable bikes. I can just think of a great many more terrible bikes too.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

As for LAMS bikes, CBR125, CBR250R (either the old 4cyl or new single), Ninja 250 and 300, Aprilia RS125 (2T or 4T), CFMoto V-Night or Leader 150s, YZF125 and R15, and so on. There are shitloads of choices.

I'll give you the Ninjas and the CBR250R. I can't speak on the CFMotos and Leaders never haven ridden one. The others, meh, for a variety of reasons (having ridden them).

Slavvy posted:

Also the LAMS legal hyosung gt650 or sv650 or er6-n. All of which are (even the hyosung, now) very reliable, moderately fun bikes. The two V-twins have the option of unlocking full power down the line, too.

The quality of the Hyosung is questionable (they tend to rust and corrode here in the humid air), and I'm providing a suggestion to a family member for something she'll keep for a longer time. Both the ER6-N and SV650, no way to legally derestrict them here when she's capable.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

hayden. posted:

The 1400cc sport bikes make as much power right off idle (2.5k RPM) as the Ninja 250 does at redline. Having a casual wrist won't help much.

Yo friend gonna die.

All's she's got to do is accidentally slip the clutch just a little too fast...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Who gives a poo poo, shes not the only person in the world who bought a retarded bike today, not the first, not the last. Can't save everybody. Calm down CA, we don't even know if she's hot.

\/\/\/\/ You can quite literally lave a Busa in 3rd or 4th gear for its entire life and get around just fine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So the thing makes as much power at idle as a Ninja 250 at redline...

Stick with me here for a second. What if you just removed the throttle? Then it could be a beginner bike. You do all of your accelerating with the clutch. Really it's just removing a dangerous hassle that a new rider shouldn't have to deal with. With the right gearing and the idle raised slightly I'm sure you could get up to 50 or so. Perfect.

My buddie's dad is putting some massive 2 liter v-twin in a chopper he's building and when I looked up the dyno it made like 100 ft-lbs of torque when the measurements started at like 2500 rpm. I imagine you ride that thing much the same way, in the city.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spiffness posted:

Who gives a poo poo, shes not the only person in the world who bought a retarded bike today, not the first, not the last. Can't save everybody. Calm down CA, we don't even know if she's hot.

:golfclap:

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

nsaP posted:

Stick with me here for a second. What if you just removed the throttle? Then it could be a beginner bike. You do all of your accelerating with the clutch. Really it's just removing a dangerous hassle that a new rider shouldn't have to deal with. With the right gearing and the idle raised slightly I'm sure you could get up to 50 or so. Perfect.

Plenty of "automatic" bikes in the higher end of the market and we keep being told by marketing it's the future. Makes me wonder actually why they're not brought to the smaller bikes (ignoring scooters).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

nsaP posted:

So the thing makes as much power at idle as a Ninja 250 at redline...

My buddie's dad is putting some massive 2 liter v-twin in a chopper he's building and when I looked up the dyno it made like 100 ft-lbs of torque when the measurements started at like 2500 rpm. I imagine you ride that thing much the same way, in the city.

CA post of the year. You're alright, nsaP.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

snail posted:

Both the ER6-N and SV650, no way to legally derestrict them here when she's capable.

You just replace the ECU with a full powered one. Perfectly legal to do once she's off her restrictions. Hell, you can even replace the restricted ECU when you want to sell it to potentially get a few more $$$. The only legal restriction is if you notify the RTA (or whatever it's called in your state if you're not in NSW) that it's been derestricted you're not able to change it back have it listed as a LAMS bike again.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You just replace the ECU with a full powered one. Perfectly legal to do once she's off her restrictions.

...and reregister it as a new vehicle if you live in Queensland. It's a little more complicated than just a straight part swap and the TMR are arseholes about it.

The last bit of info I had regarding the SV was that nobody bothered (in Queensland) as it wasn't cost effective once all was taken into account. You're better off to sell the LAMS bike, and buy a new one that's not restricted. It was the same for the ER6-N as of last year. The only one that was apparently sensible to derestrict was the Hyosung. Of course it may have changed, that info is 18 months old.

All the more reason to take a day off work and go test riding bikes.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wait, seriously? I thought, at most, you'd just have to get an engineers plate on it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Speaking of Australia...

I'm American, currently living in Japan, my contract will be up in August of 2014. Will be starting grad school in Australia (most likely Tasmania) the following February, with the long-term aim of settling there. One idea I was batting around was picking up a 70's or 80's Harley when I get back to Florida (as a non-resident, I'm not eligible for the personal import scheme, so it's got to be pre-89), using that as transportation while I'm back in the States (probably do a road trip or two), and then putting it in a shipping container with all my stuff, and selling it when I get to Australia to cover the cost of shipping the rest of my personal effects. I'm not at all a Harley person (prefer dual-sports), but I understand they sell for a decent amount of money over there, so I'm wondering if the potential profit would be enough to cover shipping over my books, darkroom, etc. Terrible idea, or worth looking more into?