Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's actually a "different" emulator than the Snes9x EX that was pulled a year ago. He's still maintaining the "older" version, which is supposed to run faster but may have less compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Came across an app that boosted the bass levels in your sound and almost all the comments were about 'niggers', the gently caress?

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I just got a tv stick mini pc (the mk808) with the intention of using it for all my media streaming needs

So far i have got xbmc, mx player, netflix, all the various tv streaming apps. I have set up droidmote (which is really cool) to use my phone as a mouse / touchscreen for it

However i have seen this launcher in videos and i can't find it anywhere other then this site (which does not download the apk, it downloads some dodgy exe file instead which i don't trust)

http://www.data-apk.in/2012/11/tvlauncher-pro-v1-5-android-apps-download.html

I have found lots of references to it once being on google play however i can't find it there now and i also can't find the developer for it.

Alternatively can anyone suggest any other launchers which might work well for a tv?

I am also looking for suggestions for any other apps that might make my streaming experience better

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

WYA posted:

Came across an app that boosted the bass levels in your sound and almost all the comments were about 'niggers', the gently caress?

Does Apple censor comments on their store? I'm not really into censorship, but it does seem unprofessional to leave those up. With them being tied to your Google account it seems pretty easy to snuff out. Having kids makes you old and lame.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ariza posted:

Does Apple censor comments on their store? I'm not really into censorship, but it does seem unprofessional to leave those up. With them being tied to your Google account it seems pretty easy to snuff out. Having kids makes you old and lame.

I would be fine with leaving them up for posterity if you posted them with your real name.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Byolante posted:

I would be fine with leaving them up for posterity if you posted them with your real name.

That seems like something Google asked me recently. I'm not sure if that was on the Play store though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ariza posted:

That seems like something Google asked me recently. I'm not sure if that was on the Play store though.

Youtube asked everybody if they wanted to use their full name a while back.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Your full name appears on Play Store reviews now, too. Your older reviews appear as "A Google User."

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

wa27 posted:

Youtube asked everybody if they wanted to use their full name a while back.

It wouldn't accept The    DarkOne as a full name. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's actually a "different" emulator than the Snes9x EX that was pulled a year ago. He's still maintaining the "older" version, which is supposed to run faster but may have less compatibility.

Would the "older" one be better to try than the Play Store version?

I used the Play Store version today to play a few games, it didn't seem to have many issues. Is there a list of incompatibilities?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would the "older" one be better to try than the Play Store version?
Probably not if you have a reasonably new device. A faster emulator may mean it doesn't have to run the CPU clock as high which would help battery life. It's probably not a big deal.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Skam posted:

I just got a tv stick mini pc (the mk808) with the intention of using it for all my media streaming needs

So far i have got xbmc, mx player, netflix, all the various tv streaming apps. I have set up droidmote (which is really cool) to use my phone as a mouse / touchscreen for it

How is this working out for you? The HD playback seems iffy at best with a lot of these android devices but I'm pretty tempted by their small size and very low power needs. If they made one of these devices that handled HD with no problem and supported the PVR functionality it would be an instant purchase.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Does anybody have Zombies, Run! and care to review it? It looks very tempting.
I haven't gone running in a year, so I'm thinking maybe the 5K app is more appropriate for getting restarted? Is the couch-to-5k routine in the full version? They're both on sale and calling my name.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

C... posted:

Does anybody have Zombies, Run! and care to review it? It looks very tempting.
I haven't gone running in a year, so I'm thinking maybe the 5K app is more appropriate for getting restarted? Is the couch-to-5k routine in the full version? They're both on sale and calling my name.

I have the first one, non-couch to 5K. I really enjoy it, a few quirks that irritate me a bit, but well worth it in my opinion. My favorite part is the banter after you complete a mission. I was running one time and one of the guys said the next song he had his first kiss to, by random selection Rammstein's Pussy came on. I had to stop for a second because I was laughing so hard.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Horn posted:

How is this working out for you? The HD playback seems iffy at best with a lot of these android devices but I'm pretty tempted by their small size and very low power needs. If they made one of these devices that handled HD with no problem and supported the PVR functionality it would be an instant purchase.

I messed with it for a few hours last night and its working... ok

i tried to stream a hd movie (from my laptop by wifi) with bsplayer, however it seems good for streaming smaller files (i tested a 1.5gb movie and it was fine) That could be down to my wifi setup though

You can run XBMC on them but i haven't really dug into it yet, I intend to install a custom rom (finless 1.6) later since a lot of people are reporting lots of improvements with it. It looks like he is currently working on a full 1080p kernal for it as well.

So far i can't really recommend it to highly, it is doing the job fine (and i actually bought it because i wanted to be able to stream live tv through the tvcatchup app in the uk, and it works perfectly for that) although i feel there is probably much more elegant ways to stream media. However i love playing around with Android so it will keep me entertained trying to make it do everything i want

And controlling my tv with my phone feels so cool

edit: i found the launcher i was looking for:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv

Skam fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 16, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Flow Reader Beta might just become my new go-to for Google Reader, instead of GoodNews.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Flow Reader Beta might just become my new go-to for Google Reader, instead of GoodNews.
That is one good looking app.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Flow looks good. I keep trying random readers but always go back to Flipboard. I just like 'flipping' through all the articles and flow does that pretty nicely.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Has anyone had problems with shortcut groups disappearing from your home screen with Nova Launcher? It's happened to me twice over the past week or so.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone have any preferences when it comes to automatic image uploaders? I know of AllShare Play (on Touchwiz phones), Google Plus, Facebook, and Dropbox. They all seem to have benefits/drawbacks.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Anyone have any preferences when it comes to automatic image uploaders? I know of AllShare Play (on Touchwiz phones), Google Plus, Facebook, and Dropbox. They all seem to have benefits/drawbacks.

What are the drawbacks to G+? Just use the picasa link to share/send/whatever. I love it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Mainly that you can't define custom directories for it to scan for images.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

DemonMage posted:

Mainly that you can't define custom directories for it to scan for images.

But it will only scan for those images once, and can't you just do the .nomedia fix thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Illuminado posted:

But it will only scan for those images once, and can't you just do the .nomedia fix thing?
.nomedia isn't respected in Jelly Bean (or Ice Cream Sandwich, I think).

I prefer Google+ but I use a lot of Google services. At this point though it sure seems like the Picasa client is abandonware and the way the Picasa client, Picasa Web Albums, Google+, and Android work (or don't work rather) together is frustrating to say the least.

I have a Tasker question. I'm using CM10.1 at the moment and I keep screen rotation enabled but only for 0° and 180°. What I'd like to be able to do is to enable 90° rotation only when I enter specific apps and to disable it when I leave that app. Is that something Tasker can do? I'm sure it can turn on and off screen rotation, but I mean specifically can it enable that screen rotation option?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It only looks in the DCIM directory, so if I want it to also upload pictures people send me on Skype, or email, or texts, or whatever, I have to manually move them to a DCIM sub directory for them to upload. It's not a huge deal, but it'd also be an easy thing to fix.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Basically my impressions are:

• AllShare Play - Lets you upload to your PC, or a storage service. Didn't upload my video even though I asked it.
  • Facebook - Does the best job of grabbing ALL of your images, not just camera photos. But I think it resizes them, and no video.
  • G+ - The most picky, as far as what images it will upload (only photos from the camera app)
  • Dropbox - I think I'll go with this option. Does full images and video. Makes it easy to share with people on the web, like G+, but will also put your images/videos on your PC as well. Seems to find more images than G+ (screenshots, for example), but wont find downloaded images or instagram pictures.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
The Amazon Cloud Drive now has automatic uploads as of today. Personally I just let all of them have my photos. I just consider it redundant cloud backup

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I have Dropsync set to upload new pictures when my phone is plugged in and on wifi. Seems like one of the more robust options to me.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I want to start taking notes on my Galaxy Tab for class so what's the goon preferred app for note taking? And while we're at it, what's the goon recommended stylus for doing this?

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

Anybody know of an app that'll let you use your phone as a gamepad or as a keyboard with a gamepad-like interface on the phone *gasp* over bluetooth? I've found plenty of apps that let you use gamepads on your phone or make little gamepad graphics appear when playing games, but nothing that works the other way around. Closest app I've found is called app.pcon but so far it only works over wifi and not bluetooth (though he/she/it appears to be working on it).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Basically my impressions are:

• AllShare Play - Lets you upload to your PC, or a storage service. Didn't upload my video even though I asked it.
  • Facebook - Does the best job of grabbing ALL of your images, not just camera photos. But I think it resizes them, and no video.
  • G+ - The most picky, as far as what images it will upload (only photos from the camera app)
  • Dropbox - I think I'll go with this option. Does full images and video. Makes it easy to share with people on the web, like G+, but will also put your images/videos on your PC as well. Seems to find more images than G+ (screenshots, for example), but wont find downloaded images or instagram pictures.

I recommend Dropbox sync, it is seriously handy in that it actually puts the photos/videos onto your PC. For Instagram,I use IFTTT to upload my Instagram pics to Dropbox.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
My wife and I just upgraded to smartphones for the first time, so we're trying things working right and would like a few suggestions. We both have Samsung Transform Ultra's, which run Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

First, at my school you can connect your android phone to their wifi, but the phone only recognizes it as WEP protection, when the school uses 802.11x EAP, where we use our school username and password to sign on. The school has a how-to guide which involves installing 4 separate apps and configuring them to work in some fashion. Please tell me there's a better way to possibly do this, it just seems to absurdly complicated to connect to a network. :psyduck: I played around with a few different apps and couldn't get anything to work.

Next, my wife's phone died absurdly fast today and I don't think she was doing that much. She had wifi off all day, played 2 games of Tetris, 5 minutes total of another game then sent text messages for the rest of the day with a short call or two in between. We've been trying to only use data when connected to wifi since we're prepaid and want to use as little data as possible when not at home/school. How the hell can we possibly improve this besides keeping wifi turned off? Is there a nice app for controlling what all to turn off when we're not actively using the phone?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Yarrbossa posted:

My wife and I just upgraded to smartphones for the first time, so we're trying things working right and would like a few suggestions. We both have Samsung Transform Ultra's, which run Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

You probably should have spent the extra $50 per phone and got the EVO Design 4G, LG Venice, or ZTE Warp Sequent. At least those phones are running a 4.x version of Android. I wouldn't be surprised if Gingerbread was the cause of all of your issues.

Maybe look into JuiceDefender for your battery woes.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

I just picked up a Nexus 7 tablet, and I'm looking for a good text editor. I'm looking to work on pen and paper RPG stuff on the go, copy and pasting from PDFs and working with stats.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yarrbossa posted:

Gingerbread. 802.11x EAP

My work network uses 802.1x w/PEAP and MSCHAPv2. I've been able to connect my phones to the WiFi network without issue since 1.6 on my lolMoment.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Gyshall posted:

I've been using gReader lately and I'm pretty happy with that. It gives me pretty much everything I'm looking for in a Google Reader client, but I rarely ever see it mentioned here.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Is there an IRC that doesn't completely suck? I've tried

AndIRC: history scrollbar in a channel resets to the top every time I switch back to it from another app.

AndroIRC: slow, and seems to have problems reconnecting when I switch WiFi networks, requiring manual intervention.

SimpleIRC: can't see a channel and that channel's user list at the same time.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Mierdaan posted:

I've tried a bunch, and I end up sticking to AndroIRC (despite it's faults) and IRSSI ConnectBot. The later only works if you're running an IRSSI session elsewhere, but otherwise I love it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I could have sworn I saw a post related to this question only some ten pages back, but I can't, for the life of me, find it. Ever since I started paying to expand my family's internet plan so I could get a smartphone, my mom has been wreaking absolute havoc with her data usage. It never seemed to be a problem when she was using her own 2GB, she never used so much as one. Now at the end of every billing cycle she's been using 2.5-3GB without even knowing, which puts a hamper on the other three people who would kinda' like to use data, as well, and I prefer having a buffer in a pinch.

She uses a Samsung Stratosphere, which (I think) runs Gingerbread. It seems to automatically fall back on the 4G, and you have to connect to wi-fi manually. What programs can you recommend to help her keep her phone on wi-fi when possible (at home, work, etc.), make sure she doesn't have an excess of background data going on, and to alert/cap her if her usage goes crazy? She isn't the most computer savvy and won't willingly check and search to make sure of these things so the more simple and forthright, the better. Think like a homescreen widget that states it plainly.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mierdaan posted:

AndIRC: history scrollbar in a channel resets to the top every time I switch back to it from another app.

AndroIRC: slow, and seems to have problems reconnecting when I switch WiFi networks, requiring manual intervention.

SimpleIRC: can't see a channel and that channel's user list at the same time.

I have been using AndChat for my IRC on the go needs. No problems so far but I don't use it much.

• Locked thread