Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Lord Bude posted:

I've often wondered whether the story isn't set during the very first rotation of the wheel. I mean, if the cycle of the ages has been going on and on for countless millenia, how is there any coal or iron or copper, etc anywhere where pre modern societies can mine it? many materials don't degrade that easily, why isn't the world littered with artifacts far beyond the extent it is? Is there a giant reset button at some point in the cycle?

I've always assumed, for those reasons, that there was a 'reset button' of some sort. Like perhaps the end of the 7th age involves some form of discontinuity/rebirth of the world. Or perhaps there are wheels within wheels and every X turnings of the Wheel there is a true breaking of the world in some manner, followed by a Garden of Eden scenario beginning the 1st age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I think the labels of the ages are just because this "3rd" age hasn't retained records of anything that happened prior to the "1st" age. It doesn't necessarily mean the "1st" age is the starting point on the Wheel.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Algid posted:

Something I just realized.

I can totally theorycraft even after the series is over.

I like this idea, thanks for posting it. One thing that bugged me was how little the Bao the Wyld stuff was explained, but thinking of it that way makes me less annoyed.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's also possible that their planet doesn't quite operate like ours. Magic's crazy, after all. Who's to say the Wheel doesn't just regenerate materials and break them down to maintain an equilibrium? Look how the Blight bloomed almost instantly after the Dark One was banished. That area was always supposed to be cool and temperate, and once the Dark One was gone it was that way again. If it can create life and fertility from nothing, why not veings of iron and silver?

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

Mierdaan posted:

I like this idea, thanks for posting it. One thing that bugged me was how little the Bao the Wyld stuff was explained, but thinking of it that way makes me less annoyed.

I just assumed that Bao the Wyld was the Sharan version of the Dragon and Demandred got their first and "fulfilled" their prophecies. That conversation he has with his Sharan sweetheart (basically, you know you are fighting alongside Trollocs, but you still follow me?) confirmed that for me. So I guess it's not a stretch that the Rand had characteristics/filled prophecies of Bao as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mierdaan posted:

I like how little it was explained. As if there was a completely different series of events going on parallel to the story we've read, and it's all been theater and lies put on by Demandred. We know just about as much about Bao the Wyld as our characters do, because we've been with our characters the whole time. Makes them more unknown and scary, which is exactly how the Sharans should be in this book. A terrifying unknown factor in the Last Battle, an ace in the hole for the Dark One that Rand and co. can in no way have planned for.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Basically Demandred has always been envious of Lews Therin and trying to compare himself to Lews Therin so he goes out and copies what Rand is doing, in a different location. He's Rand's "evil twin" and it's also not surprising that he has some of same ideas of things to do after it's all over...relax, sight see, be normal, since he's been obsessed with Rand/Lews Therin and doing everything he does better. Dude is completely unoriginal

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

pimpslap posted:

I just assumed that Bao the Wyld was the Sharan version of the Dragon and Demandred got their first and "fulfilled" their prophecies. That conversation he has with his Sharan sweetheart (basically, you know you are fighting alongside Trollocs, but you still follow me?) confirmed that for me. So I guess it's not a stretch that the Rand had characteristics/filled prophecies of Bao as well.
I think that Rand's various titles are roles that he takes up that are pretty much independent of each other, he happens to be the Dragon Reborn, the Cooramor and the Car'a'can simultaneously, but Bao of the Wyld doesn't come along until later. I mean the scene with Moghedian suggests that he's supposed to be able to affect reality beyond what a normal person can do without channeling. Tricking a bunch of channelers by using the TP wouldn't really work.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Why wouldn't it work? If they have no clue the True Power exists then I'm pretty sure it just looks just like "magic", because it can't be sensed in any way by regular channelers

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Levitate posted:

Why wouldn't it work? If they have no clue the True Power exists then I'm pretty sure it just looks just like "magic", because it can't be sensed in any way by regular channelers
I'm making assumptions about the wording of their prophecy. Assuming that Bao of the Wyld doesn't need to channel (which is definitely true for Rand, he can't channel at the end), the prophecy would outright say that, not that his channeling can't be detected. To truly fulfill the prophecy you actually need some sort of magic power that isn't channeling, not just tricking a bunch of channelers by using the TP.

edit: I'm just saying Demandred (and later Moghedian) fulfilled superficial aspects of whatever prophecy was there, that doesn't make the prophecy invalid, and we're even given hints about the character that it points to. It's a very nice way of dealing with something that would otherwise seem really out of place.

Algid fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 16, 2013

steevee
May 9, 2009
loving Nakomi:

Is Rand's mother. If the dead are walking again, why can't some of them be friendly?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

steevee posted:

loving Nakomi:

Is Rand's mother. If the dead are walking again, why can't some of them be friendly?

I like it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Rarity posted:

You missed Talmanes :colbert:
And Thom.

"Hmm, I need to think of just the right word to describe what's happening." *stabs a Black Ajah Aes Sedai in the back, chucks her body onto the growing pile, goes back to composing*

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I totally forgot about Thom and Talmanes. And Tam! Pretty much everyone gets to be a badass motherfucker in this book.

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012

Dramatika posted:

If I recall correctly, it is strongly implied that Androl picked Taim's pocket, though I could be mistaken

Specifically, he saw Taim put the seals in a sack on his belt, and when he stumbled forward after the torture, he managed to grab the sack

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Grabbin' Taim's sack aww yeah

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Presto posted:

And Thom.

"Hmm, I need to think of just the right word to describe what's happening." *stabs a Black Ajah Aes Sedai in the back, chucks her body onto the growing pile, goes back to composing*

Such a short scene and awesome scene, definitely one of my favorites.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Troll Bridgington posted:

Such a short scene and awesome scene, definitely one of my favorites.

It's sort of goofy though. Five black ajah in a row disguise themselves to get by the man who can't channel instead of just... I dunno... tying him with air or killing him. :raise:

Had me going for a minute though, thought he'd figured out that Cadsuane was actually, somehow, Black Ajah all along.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I assume it was an attempt to not attract attention. If they channeled, someone might have picked up on it being so close to Shayol Ghul. 5 of them trying it is a bit much perhaps

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Shara talk:

I had always thought that the Sharans would show up with their poo poo together, ready to lend a hand as the Randlanders and Seanchan were failing and save the day. Well, I got part of that right :froggonk: But in all seriousness, the lack of explanation turns what could have been an eyeroll of a deus ex machina into a new and interesting threat. I also thought that their appearance helped make Demandred more intimidating and competent, which helped set him up as a good antagonist.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I wonder if the time dilation effect was supposed to mirror what happens as something approaches a black hole. Pretty sure that RJ knew about gravitational time dilation, and the imagery matches too.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Levitate posted:

I assume it was an attempt to not attract attention. If they channeled, someone might have picked up on it being so close to Shayol Ghul. 5 of them trying it is a bit much perhaps

Also, was he ever bonded to Moiraine? I recall him saying at the end of ToM that he'd be her warder. If he was, assuming the darkfriends didn't know what exactly was happening inside, killing/harming him would have alerted the people inside.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

rafikki posted:

Also, was he ever bonded to Moiraine? I recall him saying at the end of ToM that he'd be her warder. If he was, assuming the darkfriends didn't know what exactly was happening inside, killing/harming him would have alerted the people inside.
He is, it was mentioned in that same scene.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Algid posted:

I wonder if the time dilation effect was supposed to mirror what happens as something approaches a black hole. Pretty sure that RJ knew about gravitational time dilation, and the imagery matches too.

I had the exact same thought, specifically that the DO was similar to a black hole and sort of described as such (sucking Nynaeve and Morraine in toward it, etc).

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I honestly didn't like Egwene as a character even right up to the end, but I did think that the name "Flame of Tar Valon" for the anti-balefire weave was pretty profound. Nicely sums up the White Tower's role as protectors. I know people were talking about the name earlier in the thread but I don't think it was ever answered.

Also I feel like the fact that the Ogier/Tinker song was rediscovered was kind of understated in the book. Rand used it in front of Fortuona yes, but that makes sense since Lews Therin would have known it. Loial definitely started singing it during the battle for Camelyn though (remember the weapons sprouting leaves?). At least that's immediately where my mind went when I heard it. Of course that's the kind of thing I think would have been best wrapped up in a more extended epilogue, but I don't think I'm unique in wishing it were longer or at least more varied in scope.

I feel like we're not getting the whole story on Fain too. He was calling himself some name that I don't recognize at all and has some crazy expanded consciousness thing going on? I feel like there has to be something more to that than "I eated so many souls that I got philosophical about my perception of self"

Overall a great book. I picked up the series last spring and finished ToM in November. Even with it so fresh in my mind the series suffered from an impossible to remember cast, but it was a great series with a good ending. I just wish RJ had managed to stick around another few years :smith:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Eldercain posted:

I feel like we're not getting the whole story on Fain too.

There was a portion excised from the book called "River of Souls" that will be in some charity anthology, that might have something to do with him. It was basically axed for being something "different/new" and Sanderson didn't want to add too much new stuff in the last book. Most people think its something to do with Isam but considering the Fain setup last book and how absent he was here I'm guessing it "fleshes out" his metamorphosis more.

My Friend Radio
Nov 6, 2003
Clichéd
I wanted to take a moment to thank all you folks for posting your thoughts. I finished and felt rather unsatisfied with some of the ends that seemed untied, but the comments and musing that have been floating around seem really plausible. They make me think this was a better book than I originally did, and given my Stockholm Syndrome, that's a really good thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OAquinas posted:

There was a portion excised from the book called "River of Souls" that will be in some charity anthology, that might have something to do with him. It was basically axed for being something "different/new" and Sanderson didn't want to add too much new stuff in the last book. Most people think its something to do with Isam but considering the Fain setup last book and how absent he was here I'm guessing it "fleshes out" his metamorphosis more.

I tend to think that Fain was originally going to play a larger roll in the series, but Jordan changed his mind and pushed him off stage.

Similarly, I think Demandread originally WAS Taim, or another original Forsaken, but Jordan changed his mind and retconned him into a guy Demandread recruited instead. :colbert:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

One thing I thought might be interesting is the relation of the Flame of Tar Valon and the Aiel testing in Rhuidean. The Flame is described as patching the damage to the pattern caused by balefire. Resulting in an area of crystal columns. Sounds somewhat similar to me to the ter'angreal in Rhuidean that the wise ones use. In that case described as a group of glass columns.

I wouldn't say they are exactly the same, but I could see a sort of relation between the two.

The Flame actually fixes the pattern, or allows it to heal and adapt to the effects of balefire. A pure form of creation. As such, it would have to be in very close contact with the shape of the pattern.

I could see the Rhuidean columns then being the result of another variation of that same weave, resulting in not a patch on the pattern, but rather a window to the shape of the pattern at certain points in time.

Sort of like how we get a starting point of gateways being used to view the battlefield, and then they end up using a variation of the gateways that only lets light through.

Tied to that would be the idea that the Flame is kind of a raw form of the weave, with the outward appearance of those rougher crystal columns, while the more refined form of the weave results in a more refined form of crystal column, the glass columns seen at Rhuidean.

Just a thought anyways.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sedgr posted:

One thing I thought might be interesting is the relation of the Flame of Tar Valon and the Aiel testing in Rhuidean. The Flame is described as patching the damage to the pattern caused by balefire. Resulting in an area of crystal columns. Sounds somewhat similar to me to the ter'angreal in Rhuidean that the wise ones use. In that case described as a group of glass columns.

I wouldn't say they are exactly the same, but I could see a sort of relation between the two.

The Flame actually fixes the pattern, or allows it to heal and adapt to the effects of balefire. A pure form of creation. As such, it would have to be in very close contact with the shape of the pattern.

I could see the Rhuidean columns then being the result of another variation of that same weave, resulting in not a patch on the pattern, but rather a window to the shape of the pattern at certain points in time.

Sort of like how we get a starting point of gateways being used to view the battlefield, and then they end up using a variation of the gateways that only lets light through.

Tied to that would be the idea that the Flame is kind of a raw form of the weave, with the outward appearance of those rougher crystal columns, while the more refined form of the weave results in a more refined form of crystal column, the glass columns seen at Rhuidean.

Just a thought anyways.

Given that balefire has a temporal affect (ripping people backward out of time), it's not farfetched that the Flame could also have a different but also time related side-effect (visions).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm thinking the reverse Balefire recreates the Pattern, and creates from the point where it hits into the future, which would make it pretty indestructible.

Incidentally anyone noticed Demandred was using what looks like the Holy Grail as a Sa'angreal?

Algid posted:

Something I just realized.

Several of the titles and attributes of Bao of the Wyld:

"He Who Is Owned Only by the Land" -
"He just had not had the leisure to have a real look at much of the world. That will be new, he thought. Traveling without being chased, or having to rule here or there. Traveling where he could just sleep in a barn in exchange for splitting someone’s firewood."

"Dragonslayer" (assuming this isn't something Demandred added himself) -
"Rand al’Thor - just Rand al’Thor - woke in a dark tent by himself."

'Ayyad,' Moghedien said to the three, 'did you see me craft weaves?' Both women and the grimy man shook their heads. 'I kill without weaves,' Moghedien said, 'only I, your Wyld, could have done this.' -
"He inspected it for a moment in the darkness, then thought of the pipe being lit. And it was."

I can totally theorycraft even after the series is over.
Hijacking Prophecies certainly is one thing the Forsaken like to do, and it seems likely that there has to be SOME prophetic basis present before they can be satisfactorily corrupted.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

veekie posted:

Incidentally anyone noticed Demandred was using what looks like the Holy Grail as a Sa'angreal?

Especially funny because Sa'angreal = Sangreal = Holy Grail

kitsunamugen
Dec 22, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Especially funny because Sa'angreal = Sangreal = Holy Grail

I highly doubt that is a coincidence. RJ threw in a whole bunch of quasi religious references throughout the series. The most obvious being shai'tan.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, now we have Vora's Wand and the Holy Grail embedded in crystal on the Fields of Merrilor.

I wonder if theres anything THAT is supposed to reference

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So wait, who was the wolf that was supposed to have died in the Dark Prophecies?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ShadowCatboy posted:

So wait, who was the wolf that was supposed to have died in the Dark Prophecies?

Probably Hopper. He's really the only character who died that makes sense.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ShadowCatboy posted:

The Shadow was trying to get Perrin or Ituralde to be the wolf that falls. It turns out to be Hopper.

Prophecies sometimes give a drat about minor characters.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Fintilgin posted:

I tend to think that Fain was originally going to play a larger roll in the series, but Jordan changed his mind and pushed him off stage.

Similarly, I think Demandread originally WAS Taim, or another original Forsaken, but Jordan changed his mind and retconned him into a guy Demandread recruited instead. :colbert:

I agree whole-heartedly with both these points. The early links between Taim and Demandred are pretty obvious if you're looking for it at all while reading. I suppose RJ could have done that on purpose to throw readers off track but I'm more inclined to believe he changed his original intention sometime around Book 9.

Ross fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 17, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The parallels between Taim and Demandred are there to show you Rand loving up in exactly the same way as LTT did. Taim has similar parallels to at least Mesaana and Sammael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Doesn't the Taim was Demandred idea also mean Shara would have to have been a kind of late series addition? Seems like it would mean there was a massive change in the whole series and ending. Also when were the Shara first mentioned? Because I would take that as first proof Jordan planned to have a Forsaken bring them to the last battle

• Locked thread