Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Time for me to re-read Lucifer, I think.

e: What a lousy way to start a page. Lucifer and Mazikeen's relationship is great.

Lucifer, naturally, not sure what issue.

v What this guy said, since I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Daktar posted:

Lucifer, naturally, not sure what issue.

Sandman #23. Mine was Sandman #28. Both collected in Season of Mists.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't post it, mostly because it would have to be the entire issue, but Lil Gotham #3 qualifies for this thread. It's about Mr Freeze and yeah... it's just a good thing I was chopping onions next to a windy fan while I had sand in my eyes is all I'm sayin.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Daredevil #21.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wow, that last panel of the second page conveys the story so perfectly. Great design there!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special is predominantly a funny little one-shot featuring a cult favorite character being dumb. Then at the very end, the book makes a left turn to serious town.

Merry Christmas, BSS.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I resented DC for giving Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns an ongoing but not Larfleeze, but on the other hand, had it been Peter Milligan writing it then perhaps it's for the best.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
He's got an ongoing backup in Threshold, which launches later this month. Keith Giffen writing, Scott Kolins on art.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Empowered Vol 6

After losing her girlfriend in a supervillain related space station disaster, Sistah Spooky prepares a spell to "fix" herself and hide her emotions from her horrible teammates. While she's doing this she remembers the day she got her powers only to have her girlfriend pop up in her memories. It turns out that before she died, she put a simple little mnemonic emulation of herself in Spooky's worst memories so that that she wouldn't feel so alone when things were at their worst. They have a little conversation and this is how it ends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't get it. :saddowns:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
The visor looks more like lips than what's on the characters.

Duck purse evereeday.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I think that the cheer-up speech occurred too late, and Spooky cast the spell that made her smile all the time.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Is that intentionally bad art or just regular bad art?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

Is that intentionally bad art or just regular bad art?

Anime.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Adam Warren isn't particularly bad, although he's really stylized in a very particular way which is easily to dislike.

And no, it's not anime. for one thing, when was the last time you saw anime with ubiquitous gigantic lips.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to be handed Empowered without immediately thinking "Best comic ever!"

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think there are way more people who absolutely refuse to read anything Adam Warren makes based on his manga-inspired art and, uh, unique way of drawing lips than proclaim his work to be the best ever.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fatherdog posted:

And no, it's not anime. for one thing, when was the last time you saw anime with ubiquitous gigantic lips.

Can we compromise and say it manga drawn by a guy who has a fetish for anime and lips?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can we compromise and say it manga drawn by a guy who has a fetish for anime and lips?

Oh he has a fetish alright but I don't think it's lips.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't get it. :saddowns:

Mindfuck (sidenote: That is literally how her name is spelled in the comic) is an incredibly powerful telepath and, I THINK, telekinetic. Her brother was, too. He thought she would be a more powerful psychic if her mind controlled her to cut out her eyes and tongue so she HAD to use her powers all the time. Hence the parenthesis and weird emphasis.

She's telling her ex-girlfriend that she could easily have forced her to change her mind and take her back, but she loved her too much and that would not be the same. So instead she's just begging her not to invalidate everything and undo their love in the first place.

And in classic Warren style, it seems Sistah Spooky took the deal, and...well, basically, "I have no mouth and I must scream" sums it up perfectly.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Adam Warren isn't particularly bad, although he's really stylized in a very particular way which is easily to dislike.

Any time there's a black person in it.

Classtoise posted:

And in classic Warren style, it seems Sistah Spooky took the deal, and...well, basically, "I have no mouth and I must scream" sums it up perfectly.

Nope.
This is all in Spooky's head. Mindfuck is dead, but left a psychic memory thingy in Spooky's head and the memory doesn't know it's dead in real life. Spooy's smiling because she's with the person she loves (even though it's in her head), but crying because Mindfuck is close to finding out that she's dead (3 seconds too late).

Terror Sweat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 8, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Context: Betty Brant is dead and JJJ is being questioned. Any other context is explained in the scene.

Ultimate Spider-Man #19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Holy poo poo, Bendis. Total loving gut-punch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For all my issues with Bendis' current writing he is knocking it out of the park on USM. again.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
drat, I haven't read any Ultimate Spider-Man since Peter died, looks like I'll have to rectify that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister Chompers posted:

drat, I haven't read any Ultimate Spider-Man since Peter died, looks like I'll have to rectify that.

It's been really loving good. Bendis is hitting homers left and right.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It took me until near the end to realize that they were talking about Miles and not Spider-Ock, so for most of that I was just going :psyduck:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mister Chompers posted:

I've been holding off on it because I was worried they'd just bring back Peter Parker after a year or 2 but it looks like they might stay the course. That's a pretty drat good scene from an Ultimate Marvel monthly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Mister Chompers posted:

I'm in the boat along with you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Do not forget to read Fallout before starting with Miles if you haven't.

Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not forget to read Fallout before starting with Miles if you haven't.

Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

Those loving panels get me every goddamn time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The whole Pete/Aunt May thing has been written in ways that range from lame to just plain near incestuous, but yea in the death/fallout arc it got really well written.

Death of Spider-Man could have been terrible really easy, but it came out as the perfect end to Peter's story. It's Marvel so I'm sure next year he'll come back in some bullshit 'oh I was only FAKING it for some stupid reason' or the like, but for now the arc has been excellent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

The whole Pete/Aunt May thing has been written in ways that range from lame to just plain near incestuous, but yea in the death/fallout arc it got really well written.

Death of Spider-Man could have been terrible really easy, but it came out as the perfect end to Peter's story. It's Marvel so I'm sure next year he'll come back in some bullshit 'oh I was only FAKING it for some stupid reason' or the like, but for now the arc has been excellent.

It is Bendis and he is having a blast with Miles and since Ultimate is his baby you will pry it from his cold dead hands. Peter is not coming back, and it has been close to 2 years at this point.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Only way I can see Parker coming back is if Didio takes over Marvel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
poo poo it has hasn't it? I always forget that Ultimates in general are kinda left to do their own thing, so yea maybe the typical comic book curse of 'death is meaningless' will stick. I know Bendis sure as hell wants to avoid ruining something he loved doing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Only way I can see Parker coming back is if Didio takes over Marvel.

It'll be a clone coming over from 616. Wait and see.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Named Reily Ben

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't doubt it would be, despite the fact that there's still an unaccounted for Peter clone in Ult. Continuity

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

I don't doubt it would be, despite the fact that there's still an unaccounted for Peter clone in Ult. Continuity

I still get a laugh out of how skeved Peter was when Johnny talked about how he has a crush on Spider-women. Miles is awesoem but I still think they could have gotten more stories out of Super halfway house. Also it is sad to see how depressed Johnny is now due to Peter's death.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Those Ultimate Spidey panels are only made more impactful by the fact that Sara Pichelli can draw the poo poo out of a comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Glitterbomber posted:

Everyone said this at the start, but that was almost 2 years ago. I think Miles is doing fine as new Spidey. Bendis has done a good job of keeping him interesting.

The only way Peter comes back is if the Ultimate line is about to collapse and they play that card as a final attempt to get people interested again. Otherwise, Bendis doesn't seem that stupid to wreck the tenuous approval he's gotten so far for his own personal Spiderman project.