Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

People have quickly forgotten that the Wii's success was the definition of catching lightning in a bottle. If the WiiU's numbers are tepid I shudder to think what they'll call the numbers of Microsoft's and Sony's new-oh wait, they're not Nintendo. No doom and gloom.

If Sony botches the launch as badly as they did last time there will be plenty of doom and gloom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Nintendo is merging their hardware divisions for handhelds and consoles.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/16/nikkei-nintendo-to-launch-unified-console-handheld/

Sidenote: Pretty stupid that they're seemingly using the Wii launch as the standard of a decent launch, making the Wii U launch "tepid". Oh yeah, and this "comes on the heels" of the 3DS launch, almost two years ago.

You probably shouldn't trust articles that think Nintendo feels threatened by the OUYA, they are by definition written by stupid people.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Wii U sold worse in its first December than the bloated, overpriced, supply constrained PS3. I'd say that constitutes a tepid launch.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

The Wii U sold worse in its first December than the bloated, overpriced, supply constrained PS3. I'd say that constitutes a tepid launch.

It took a whole year to ship two million PS3s due to hardware shortages while the Wii U sold 830,000 in a little over a month. And it's only January.

So yeah... kind of early to make that comment.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
The Wii U is doomed. Throw away all your consoles. At least, until Monster Hunter comes out.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I'm not saying it's a disaster, I'm just saying it isn't a raging success second only to the Wii.

The Wii U sold 460,000 in December, the "disaster" PS3 sold 490,000 back in December '06 while being very supply constrained. The Wii U will be fine, but it's not exactly setting the world on fire right now.

People in this thread get so goddamn defensive if you don't claim everything is sunshine and roses and Nintendo are the best ever.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Pack it in boys, we got another virtual boy on our hands!

Apparently we are finally getting a new game on the eshop! Double Fine is releasing The Cave on Jan 22 for $14.99 according to Ron Gilbert's twitter. I haven't bought a Double Fine game yet that I haven't enjoyed so i'm going to pick it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsVcLewmcdU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crowbear posted:

I'm not saying it's a disaster, I'm just saying it isn't a raging success second only to the Wii.

The Wii U sold 460,000 in December, the "disaster" PS3 sold 490,000 back in December '06 while being very supply constrained. The Wii U will be fine, but it's not exactly setting the world on fire right now.

People in this thread get so goddamn defensive if you don't claim everything is sunshine and roses and Nintendo are the best ever.

I believe what got you to this point in the conversation is that people are wondering why the Wii U is being compared to the Wii launch in general, when the Wii basically sold out three Christmasses in a row and was rather unprecedented.

It's dumb to compare it to other consoles and start making early predictions after such a short amount of time, but it's super dumb to compare it to the Wii which was an outlier and was launched under much happier economic times.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Chronojam posted:

I believe what got you to this point in the conversation is that people are wondering why the Wii U is being compared to the Wii launch in general, when the Wii basically sold out three Christmasses in a row and was rather unprecedented.

It's dumb to compare it to other consoles and start making early predictions after such a short amount of time, but it's super dumb to compare it to the Wii which was an outlier and was launched under much happier economic times.

What got me to this point in the conversation was people making GBS threads on that article calling the launch tepid by assuming they meant tepid compared to the Wii, when the article didn't mention the Wii. I was just pointing out that it wasn't all that crazy to call it a tepid launch in general.

I don't think saying that deserves my being sentenced to death by sarcasm like what seems to have happened.

It is definitely too early to say that the numbers so far will be any kind of predictor for the future of the console though.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 17, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olmec? Is that you?... :stare:

Are we going to have to seek out a shrine of the silver monkey in The Cave? :gonk:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty certain Waluigi has still never had a role outside of a sports title.

I'd love if the next Mario game had Wario/Waluigi as the bad guys. But if my secret wishes caused Nintendo to include only the characters I wanted, Baby Bowser would have been gone years ago.

edit: Wario Land is awesome because you had to pay off a genie.
Waluigi is the villain of Mario DDR. *snort*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-483SMdtY

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

WALUIGI IS loving HUGE WHY IS HE SO TALL.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Not really, he's like the first boss. Hr steals the notes at the beginning but immediately fucks up and loses them. Bowser is the final boss.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah but if you're Nintendo and you can make NSMB for a small amount of money and sell a gajillion, or take a risk, put more thought into art style, control, mechanic, etc, which would cost more, and end up selling less, which would you go for?

Definitely their flops are envious elsewhere but the opportunity cost is what they would look at, not that they sold a lot but that they could have sold more.

If you are talking about Yoshi's Island, remember that in 1995 Snes was rapidly becoming irrelevant as every single kid and gamingjournalist on the block was wetting his bed for the brand new hot contender. The fact that in some markets (Italy, Ireland) Yoshi's Island and Snes games costed a tad more than Playstation games who were IN THREE DEE did not help at all the situation (of course all of this just before Playstation piracy becoming widespread thanks to the advent of cheap CD-Rs and Modchips).

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm sure it'd be completely broken but I'd like to see a Super Super Mario game where every power-up from every game was available. Capes, Raccoons, Frog Suits, everything ever. It'd definitely make it interesting at the least.

I'd like it too. :(

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Speaking of wanting things in Mario games. The fact you still can't kick shells upwards like you could in Mario World is honestly my biggest problem with NSMBU.

It's such a tiny thing but I miss it so bad. Not really sure why though.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Also I'm sorry but the P Wing I know and love requires a running start :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Also I'm sorry but the P Wing I know and love requires a running start :(

Actually, the regular Tanooki suit needed the running start in SMB3. The P-Wing kept that meter filled through the entire level.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crowbear posted:

What got me to this point in the conversation was people making GBS threads on that article calling the launch tepid by assuming they meant tepid compared to the Wii, when the article didn't mention the Wii. I was just pointing out that it wasn't all that crazy to call it a tepid launch in general.

The effect of the article's editorialisation is that it's not surprising that Nintendo are shaking things up, since the Wii U and 3DS have struggled so much and they may perish if they don't. The Wii U's launch has been respectable (you'd have to be applying extremely high standards to call it tepid) and the idea that 3DS sales have been inadequate is over a year out of date. Engadget aren't so great with reporting on the games industry.

Brinty posted:

Speaking of wanting things in Mario games. The fact you still can't kick shells upwards like you could in Mario World is honestly my biggest problem with NSMBU.

It's such a tiny thing but I miss it so bad. Not really sure why though.

I completely understand what you mean; this one small dynamic basically changes a whole dimension of the game's action. It's one of the reasons I feel SMW is the best Super Mario game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA just put out a Q1 release schedule - I posted all the eShop stuff in the eShop thread (tldr: nothing new at all), here are the retail dates:

quote:

Wii U

Activision
The Amazing Spider-Man™ Ultimate Edition - March
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - March 26

Capcom
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - March 19

D3Publisher
The Croods: Prehistoric Party! - March 19

Electronic Arts
Need For Speed Most Wanted - March 19

Nintendo
LEGO® City: Undercover - March 18

SEGA
Aliens™: Colonial Marines - Q1

Ubisoft
Rayman® Legends - Feb. 26

quote:

Game & Wario™, The Wonderful 101™, Pikmin™ 3 and Wii Fit™ U will arrive in the first half of the year. Additional information about launch timing for these games will be announced at a later date.

Remember, these lists are never comprehensive (and often inaccurate/unreliable). Still, yawn.

EDIT: oh, and:

quote:

To ensure that Wii U users get the most out of their GamePad controller, Nintendo will be offering a Wii U GamePad Accessory Set to help owners protect their screens. The set will be available at stores on Feb. 4 for a suggested retail price of $12.99 and includes a Wii U GamePad screen protector that fits over the screen to protect it from scratches and dirt, an extra-large stylus for comfortable touch-screen game play and a cleaning cloth.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm probably going to buy a Balance Board soon to use Wii-Fit U. I'll probably have to re-arrange my room again but whatever, I hated selling that thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm probably going to buy a Balance Board soon to use Wii-Fit U. I'll probably have to re-arrange my room again but whatever, I hated selling that thing.

Where can you buy a separate balance board? I want the game, but don't want to have to buy retail to get the board with it. I've much rather have it downloaded and installed, having to switch a disc every day is just something that will make me not use the drat thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aren't they releasing a little pedometer/calorie counter doohickey with the new game? You're probably gonna want that thing if you intend to use it as a legitimate fitness tool, as opposed to a bunch of balance games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't they releasing a little pedometer/calorie counter doohickey with the new game? You're probably gonna want that thing if you intend to use it as a legitimate fitness tool, as opposed to a bunch of balance games.

Yeah which is kind of a dilemma. If I buy retail I get the board and the new accessory. If I buy e Shop I get neither. I have no idea if they will sell the dongle seperately. If I buy retail though, there's not a use case where I can quickly and conveniently check my progress because I have to take out whatever game I'm playing and swap discs.

Best case scenario is they offer a box with the accessories and a download code.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crowbear posted:

Uhh...

Nintendo sold almost 900k of the things in the US alone, and over 600k in Japan (and maybe 450 in Europe? Numbers are a bit more sketchy). The PS3 may have slightly outsold it in December, but it had a much, much stronger November. Everything I saw said that their goal for 2012 was 2 million units worldwide, and they hit that almost exactly.

It did well enough that Nintendo's reports had their stock go up, not down. Any doom and gloom at this point is unfounded, which was everyone's original point.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wasn't Pikmin and Wonderful 101 supposed to come out in March/in the launch window?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Wasn't Pikmin and Wonderful 101 supposed to come out in March/in the launch window?

Pikmin was officially pushed back a few weeks ago.

Also, it was never coming out at its original launch date, this is Nintendo.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Pikmin was officially pushed back a few weeks ago.

Also, it was never coming out at its original launch date, this is Nintendo.

Yeah I guess it comes with the territory. Luckily there will be plenty of monsters to hunt while I wait :black101:.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

Uhh...

Nintendo sold almost 900k of the things in the US alone, and over 600k in Japan (and maybe 450 in Europe? Numbers are a bit more sketchy). The PS3 may have slightly outsold it in December, but it had a much, much stronger November. Everything I saw said that their goal for 2012 was 2 million units worldwide, and they hit that almost exactly.

It did well enough that Nintendo's reports had their stock go up, not down. Any doom and gloom at this point is unfounded, which was everyone's original point.

Man, you're so goddamn defensive, claiming it's all sunshine and roses and that Nintendo is the best ever. With your facts and poo poo.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Anyone else excited about Lego City Undercover? I think it has a lot of potential, but I'm curious as to how open-world it actually is... has anyone played it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Looks like I'm able to put a used copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on hold at a local GameStop. All the thread praise has me interested, and I've got some gift card credit burning a hole in my pocket. I recently trusted goon recommendations on a $2 iPhone game and it paid off, so I'm hoping the streak continues with higher stakes. :shobon:

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo press release:
To ensure that Wii U users get the most out of their GamePad controller, Nintendo will be offering a Wii U GamePad Accessory Set to help owners protect their screens. The set will be available at stores on Feb. 4 for a suggested retail price of $12.99 and includes a Wii U GamePad screen protector that fits over the screen to protect it from scratches and dirt, an extra-large stylus for comfortable touch-screen game play and a cleaning cloth.

The set's been available since launch in Japan.
The screen protector is really easy to apply (even easier than Hori's tape tab system). It comes with a semi-rigid backing that makes it a breeze to position. It's on the small side, so it does leave a wee gap around the edges. It's also not air permeable, so it won't make trapped bubbles go away like some of the new Hori protector and other brands.

The stylus is exactly the same as the one that came with DSi XL, except it's in WU blue and white.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

zenintrude posted:

Anyone else excited about Lego City Undercover? I think it has a lot of potential, but I'm curious as to how open-world it actually is... has anyone played it?

I am! I've never really been one for GTA, but this looks silly enough to scratch the same open-world itch. Hopefully they'll put out a demo closer to the release date, because I'm not entirely sold on it yet.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

theflyingorc posted:

Uhh...

It had a very good November, but things definitely slowed down in December. There is no doom and gloom. Do people understand that tepid doesn't mean bad?

I would say it was a great launch if they were on track to hit their 5.5 million by april target, but if things keep slowing down (December is an important month 'cause of holidays and whatnot, and as the software release schedule shows, there isn't much coming for the next couple of months) I don't think they'll hit that.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Man, you're so goddamn defensive, claiming it's all sunshine and roses and that Nintendo is the best ever. With your facts and poo poo.

Great post.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hope the Disc Based Wii Fit U has an installable channel similar to Wii Fit Plus. I loved being able to just do the weigh in without putting the disc in the system, it was a selling point for me.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I love NSMBU but I view it as a multi player game. The game is a blast playing with friends, constantly killing each other and then trying to work together.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, the regular Tanooki suit needed the running start in SMB3. The P-Wing kept that meter filled through the entire level.

You could also combine the P-wing with a found Tanooki suit to have free-flying Tanooki :eng101:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

As Bill McNeal once said: "Don't try and confuse me with the facts."

Spellman
May 31, 2011

greatn posted:

Not really, he's like the first boss. Hr steals the notes at the beginning but immediately fucks up and loses them. Bowser is the final boss.
Ummmm, spoiler warning?!

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Astro7x posted:

I hope the Disc Based Wii Fit U has an installable channel similar to Wii Fit Plus. I loved being able to just do the weigh in without putting the disc in the system, it was a selling point for me.

I'd be surprised if they don't have that functionality.

There is new hardware in the Activity Tracker but.... Is it possible that they'll go the entire route with a full downloadable Wii Fit U? I'd like to access it without searching down the disc. Maybe that's a part of the workout. Oh man, I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is there any way to stop getting notifications when someone else comments on a Miiverse post you commented on?

I made the mistake of commenting on a popular post back in November and I'm still getting way too many notifications that there are new comments on it.

• Locked thread