Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm doing the Project Nevada Core and jsawyer, should I have done CCO and jsawyer instead? Perhaps next run...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I'm doing the Project Nevada Core and jsawyer, should I have done CCO and jsawyer instead? Perhaps next run...

:ssh: You can do all three! (You mean PN - Rebalance right?)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I figured both jsawyer and PN Rebalance would... break things. Or at least, that one's settings would override the others' and it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm not sure if this is vanilla or tweaked by jsawyer or CCO, but geez this Tribal Wisdom perk sure gives gently caress-all for food points when eating critters. I can eat a bag of 200-year-old potato chips and get what, like -50 or -100 food? But when I eat out the entire juicy protein-packed insides of a watermelon-sized wasp or dog-sized mantis, I get a nutritional value of -10?

The next time I have the GECK open, I'm making a quick .esp to boost that up a notch. Even with -20 or -30 points it would be way more useful; right now eating a critter--sitting through a 5-10 second chowing down animation for -10 points--is like stopping in the street to pick up a penny (i.e., not worth the time it takes).

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I agree that my only criticism with CCO is that it needs a FOMOD script :downs:
I can't do everything. I'm not familiar with the language that FOMOD uses and I wouldn't know the first place to start. Back in beta, there was a nice gentleman that handled FOMOD scripts for CCO, but he up and vanished since. If any of you guys know how to write a FOMOD script, I'll gladly package it in with CCO.

SpookyLizard posted:

Cirosan's Classic Overhaul is also recommended, but it's modular nature can lead to an overwhelming amount of plugins to order around. But that's the only issue with it.
Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" sort of thing. I could have packaged CCO into one big .esm and been done with it, but then I'd run into the same problem JSawyer has - people wanting to use different parts separately. In this thread alone it seems like there's someone asking how to run JSawyer without Courier's Stash or GRA or whatever on every other page.

Pick your poison: Be modular and deal with a lot of plugins, or be one homogenous file and have people want to part it out.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

You don't have to choose. CCO can be added into an existing save game without a problem. Compatibility patches for both JSawyer and Project Nevada come with it too.

Trustworthy posted:

I'm not sure if this is vanilla or tweaked by jsawyer or CCO, but geez this Tribal Wisdom perk sure gives gently caress-all for food points when eating critters.
CCO doesn't touch the Tribal Wisdom perk. Everything CCO changes is documented in the readme - if it's not in there, CCO isn't the culprit.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Cirosan posted:

CCO doesn't touch the Tribal Wisdom perk. Everything CCO changes is documented in the readme - if it's not in there, CCO isn't the culprit.

WELL IT SHOULD! :mad:

(I assumed it wasn't CCO; was just covering my bases since I was away from my desktop and couldn't double check.)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'll take a look at when I'm able to and no longer have computer issues. Which may still be a while. Espeically since it's a feature I'd love to see CCO have.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, so here is my idea for a thing. You get IWS, CCO, PNV, Jsawyer, and GST. You get all the necessary patches, you leave out PNV: Rebalance. You set your character to level 50, and build him exactly how you want, then you set all your skills and build the perfect guy, (Think of tabletop Shadowrun, or STALKER,) Then you use GST to make the enemies not bullet spongey and find a good balance between damage done and damge received. (Personally, I'm going to make mine 3 or 4 bullets will off you unless you're wearing power armor, then I'd want it to be more 5 ~ 10) You set everything to super rare. You get the mod that makes it 10k into the Strip and you gently caress the economy hard. You use an Alternate Start Mod, and you step into New Vegas with the perfect RP set up. No immersion breaking, just old school a man and his RP.

What do you think? Would Puce Moose be better for that? PNV: Rebalance + Extra Options? (I would have CCO just because the calibration token is a great tool for when you have a poo poo load of mods)

What would you reccomend for this idea? What would you add to it?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Would it be possible to make that ulysses companiom work with that OWB tweak mod? Specifically the companion teleport mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, so here is my idea for a thing. You get IWS, CCO, PNV, Jsawyer, and GST. You get all the necessary patches, you leave out PNV: Rebalance. You set your character to level 50, and build him exactly how you want, then you set all your skills and build the perfect guy, (Think of tabletop Shadowrun, or STALKER,) Then you use GST to make the enemies not bullet spongey and find a good balance between damage done and damge received. (Personally, I'm going to make mine 3 or 4 bullets will off you unless you're wearing power armor, then I'd want it to be more 5 ~ 10) You set everything to super rare. You get the mod that makes it 10k into the Strip and you gently caress the economy hard. You use an Alternate Start Mod, and you step into New Vegas with the perfect RP set up. No immersion breaking, just old school a man and his RP.

What do you think? Would Puce Moose be better for that? PNV: Rebalance + Extra Options? (I would have CCO just because the calibration token is a great tool for when you have a poo poo load of mods)

What would you reccomend for this idea? What would you add to it?

Personally, I feel that starting off at level 50 would hurt the game's momentum after 4 or 5 hours, when you realize that you're playing and RPG with no character growth or progression. A lot of my characters never even make it to level 50, and by the time they do, most of them end up looking real similar. Having 50 levels worth of points and perks dumped in your lap all at once seems less about building "the perfect guy" and more about jamming in points and perks wherever they'll go.

I know that GST has options to manipulate loot frequency, but I'm not sure how the plugin works, exactly. Most items belong to numerous leveled lists, but the in-game GST control panel just has stuff like, "Food: 75%". That being said, short of using GECK/FNVEdit to crack open some plugins and manually change values, I think GST is your best bet for getting everything "super rare". Even Puce Moose's mod suite is sort of ineffective in this area, and he's got a lot of his values to like, 85 or 90% rarity. The thing is, if you have an item's rarity set to, say, 85%--that is, there's only a 15% chance of opening a box and finding something on that list--that's actually a lot higher than you might think, once you start considering how many containers there are, even in small areas. I remember setting the likelihood of finding a Stimpak to ~15%, and between Goodsprings and Primm, I had collected 16 or 17 of them. Same went for various chems and ammo. If you really want things to be rare--if you want a bottle of Buffout to be a nice little treat for clearing a cave out--you'll want to give items at most a 4% or 5% chance of showing up. Also, use Puce Moose's Reduced World Items plugin, which is configurable and does exactly what it advertises.

I also feel like IWS could counteract any sort of scarcity you'd achieve through the aforementioned tweaks. More enemies could mean a greater challenge--especially if you fudge the values for everybody's HP--but it could also mean a greater source of gear to sell to vendors (or repair your own gear with) a steady supply of consumables and, as a result, more caps to circumvent scarcity. If you're conservative with IWS' settings, it might not be a problem.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see what you're saying, and I've changed my initial idea a bit, I've set the cap to 30, and I've used PNV: Rebalance to re-do most of the important things, Like set the endurance multiplier to 2 (so that tops you'll have 20 ~ 100 HP with no boosts for levels) made Gun Damage static, and changed all Very Common things to 4% Common to 3% Rare to 2% and Very Rare to 1%. I've decided not to go with IWS for the reason you stated, they'll flood me with weapons and the only reason I'd take the gun off every person would be weight limits, (which are also more realistic.) As far as weight limits are concerned, The (slightly above average) should be able to carry 100 pounds, and the incredibly (read Strength 10) can carry 150 lbs. Experience gain is set to 25% since the next 10 levels need to last me the rest of the game, and I don't want to break the game in half.

I set traders to super harsh, and I'll be playing a RobCo Certified recluse, with poor speech skills, poor weapon skills, but great with building, fixing, and bartering. I also turned on the alternative repair system, and you must wear a helmet to have DT in the head.

:shepicide: Hopefully this awesome, and not terrible.

e: At level 20, my guy can carry 73 lbs, and has 52 hp.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 17, 2013

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I don't really see what the point is in having that little HP, a single frag grenade or plasma rifle shot is going to kill you. You'll probably wear out your quickload key after the first few encounters with fiends.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 17, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloodmobile posted:

I don't really see what the point is in having that little HP, a single frag grenade or plasma rifle shot is going to kill you. You'll probably wear out your quickload key after the first few encounters with fiends.

The point is to not get into that situation to begin with, I'm thinking like X-Com. I just want to try and capture the "Oh-poo poo" moments you're supposed to get when you see a hit squad, or when you see all those Legion guys walk out of the town hall, and you're just trying to think of a way to survive, then he let's you go. I don't know, Nostalgia? They will also die as all the settings I gave to me I gave to them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turtlicious posted:

I see what you're saying, and I've changed my initial idea a bit, I've set the cap to 30, and I've used PNV: Rebalance to re-do most of the important things, Like set the endurance multiplier to 2 (so that tops you'll have 20 ~ 100 HP with no boosts for levels) made Gun Damage static, and changed all Very Common things to 4% Common to 3% Rare to 2% and Very Rare to 1%. I've decided not to go with IWS for the reason you stated, they'll flood me with weapons and the only reason I'd take the gun off every person would be weight limits, (which are also more realistic.) As far as weight limits are concerned, The (slightly above average) should be able to carry 100 pounds, and the incredibly (read Strength 10) can carry 150 lbs. Experience gain is set to 25% since the next 10 levels need to last me the rest of the game, and I don't want to break the game in half.

I set traders to super harsh, and I'll be playing a RobCo Certified recluse, with poor speech skills, poor weapon skills, but great with building, fixing, and bartering. I also turned on the alternative repair system, and you must wear a helmet to have DT in the head.

:shepicide: Hopefully this awesome, and not terrible.

It's a pretty novel idea to start the game at level 30 and drastically slow down XP gain so you can still develop your character. You should let us know how it pans out.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Been a while since I did a picture dump, so weeee~

The Right to Bear Arms mod is pretty great. 5.56 pistols and Battle Rifles fairly early on :toot: Of course I'm using Signature Weapons so my .357 is pretty beastly, but still kinda neat going up against something other than single shotguns and service rifles.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

WELL IT SHOULD! :mad:

(I assumed it wasn't CCO; was just covering my bases since I was away from my desktop and couldn't double check.)
If the Tribal Wisdom perk is as underpowered as you say, I'll look into it for next release.

SpookyLizard posted:

I'll take a look at when I'm able to and no longer have computer issues. Which may still be a while. Espeically since it's a feature I'd love to see CCO have.
Thank you. I'd greatly appreciate any help you could offer in making CCO a FOMOD script.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Would it be possible to make that ulysses companiom work with that OWB tweak mod? Specifically the companion teleport mod.
Ulysses can already follow you back to the Big MT if you use the Transportalponder, provided you have the OWB patch loaded. The only thing that mod does that the Ulysses Companion mod doesn't already have is the ability to fire him back to the Sink.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While I try this play through, I was wondering if someone with GECK experience could help me out. I want to bump the player to level 20 as soon as the game starts, I'm just not sure what would be the easiest way to go about this. (Like, some people use alternate start mods, some people will start in goodsprings.) Is there a way to give the player a one-time use item that just gives them the XP? Or would it be simpler to create a quest that requires you to "read your journal" or something similar and then the XP reward for that quest would be the exact amount to get from No XP to 20. If I knew anything about Scripting, I'd be sure there was a way to just say "Ok you're level 20, you have 200 Skill Points, and 20 perks,) but god if I know how to get that to work.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

No need for scripting, just use the console. Hit the ~ key while in game to open the developer's console, then use the command player.rewardxp XXXXX, replacing X with the number of experience points required to hit 20. This number could vary depending on what mods you're using. If you're not sure, play it safe and reward yourself about 10,000 XP at a time, and use your Pip-Boy to keep an eye on how much XP you need to get to the next level.

You could also use the command player.advlevel, which immediately levels you up, but has certain drawbacks. To quote the wiki, "[the command] does not add the experience points. While you gain all level perks, etc, you will not level again until you have made up all the points for the levels gained by this command and the experience required for the next level."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should note I'm making an esp for this, just to learn modding. I meant if I were working with the Geck, and I wanted a new player to start at level 20, (maybe make it a trait or something) what would be the necessary steps to do so? Can you reward XP on an item use / with a trait? Any help would be awesome, as I'm perusing the wiki and I'm not sure where to start, (I'll probably be better when it's not 2 AM.)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I meant if I were working with the Geck, and I wanted a new player to start at level 20, (maybe make it a trait or something) what would be the necessary steps to do so? Can you reward XP on an item use / with a trait? Any help would be awesome, as I'm perusing the wiki and I'm not sure where to start, (I'll probably be better when it's not 2 AM.)

If you're still learning the GECK, then dive in there and take a look at how ingestibles work.
You could make a new Base Effect that runs a small script that rewards the player 29.450 XP. Then make a new ingestible that runs said Base Effect.
Getting the ingestible onto the player can be done with a distribution quest: That's a quest that starts immediatly and only runs a script. That script that dumps the item onto the player and stops the quest.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Good to know :) Also, I tried World of Pain. There was a new building right outside of the underground hangout. Let's go exploring! I've got a good 700 rounds of .44 BTHPs, I should be ok :buddy:

Well I'm down to 300 and have way too much poo poo to pack home but it's worth it! Gotta fill out my weapon wall.

Speaking of underground hideouts;

LET'S GET DRUNK

Is A World Of Pain still this loving ridiculous? Do people play with it added for their hardcore runs? I want more locations but I'm not sure I need... like, hundreds of thousands of monsters.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cirosan posted:

I can't do everything. I'm not familiar with the language that FOMOD uses and I wouldn't know the first place to start. Back in beta, there was a nice gentleman that handled FOMOD scripts for CCO, but he up and vanished since. If any of you guys know how to write a FOMOD script, I'll gladly package it in with CCO.

It is actually on my list of "stuff I want to do" for New Vegas modding, actually. FOMOD scripting is pretty easy. I'll see what I can do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I believe IWS can affect World of Pain, so there's that to consider. But yeah World of Pain dungeons tend to be over-populated.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raygereio posted:

If you're still learning the GECK, then dive in there and take a look at how ingestibles work.
You could make a new Base Effect that runs a small script that rewards the player 29.450 XP. Then make a new ingestible that runs said Base Effect.
Getting the ingestible onto the player can be done with a distribution quest: That's a quest that starts immediatly and only runs a script. That script that dumps the item onto the player and stops the quest.

I'm trying, but where would I go about figuring out how to get the scrip to activate?

From what I understand, the steps would be

code:
Begin OnAdd 00015038 ;Base ID for pipboy
        player.additem JournalJournal 1
End
Right? Then I would attatch this to... Whatever quest gives us the pip boy.

Or.

code:
Begin
         player.additem JournalJournal 1
End StopQuest

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 17, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nah, doesn't work with me. It really is hard to explain what I think Johnny sounds like with me. Consider what you would consider cool snide bad rear end voice acting when your were 13 and work from there.

Maybe with bad some englush voice acting thrown in.

For some reason this makes me think of a slightly deeper voiced Link from the Zelda cartoon.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I always imagined Johnny as having a really bad Australian accent, like the actor is trying to channel a gruffer Crocodile Dundee and doing a very poor job of it. No idea why.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there a mod that cuts out the cannibalism animation? I need to know, for science.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Speaking of cannibalism, is there a mod that adds blood decals to the player when they eat people?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Okay so two things.

One is I'm getting crashes entering areas. Pretty much the only time my poo poo crashes so it's not that bad, but it's still pretty bothersome.

The other is this:

Exploring one set of the sewers connected to Westside. This is what the water looks like.

My load order:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
FreesideOpen.esm
NSkies URWLified.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
NVStripOpen.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
oHUD.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
The.Armory.esm
jsawyer.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
FreesideOpenPatch.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
Kobu's New Game Quick Start and Better Rebuild.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp
UHNV-OWB.esp
UHNV-Lonesome Road.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
FlashlightNVSE.esp
Sorter - Combined.esp
LFox Bottle That Water.esp
URWLNV.esp
NSkies URWLifiedOWB.esp
NSkies URWLifiedHH.esp
NSkies URWLifiedDM.esp
DLC WITM - Complete.esp
StripOpenMain.esp
MojaveExtended100.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Dead.Money.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Honest.Hearts.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Lonesome.Road.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Old.World.Blues.Patch.esp

Total active plugins: 48
Total plugins: 52

I'm also using ENB and NV4GB. My system is a 27" iMac running Boot Camp with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35999

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Not sure why you're pointing me to a tool I use in FOMM every time I add or remove a mod?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, a lot of re-texture mods or mods that use only high-textures tend to eff-up when you set your Texture setting to low. Make sure it is set to high as that will fix a lot of issues, (I'd had something identical when I installed Nevada Skies on my machine.)

Ok, so I figured out how to do the XP thing, (I set up a trait that pointed to a quest and the script was as easy as "player.rewardxp 29450") So that was cool, good to know I was overthinking things. I've run into a new problem though, I've been able to change the stats of my PC and all NPC's universally in a satisfying way, but now I'm running into creatures and it looks like I have to change the template of each one by hand. Is there a way to make them use a calculated formula, or is there a setting somewhere I can change to make sure the creatures get balanced everywhere else? (I mean if you're chara is level 50 and has 224 HP, he probably should not be facing level 500 Deathclaws, which will be spawning since my mod starts you off at level 20.)

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 18, 2013

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

If you're going to do compatibility patches, the "Improved Sunny Smiles" would be the way to go. Not the original one.
Just so there's no confusion, could you link me to the exact file you're talking about? I'd end up second guessing myself all day otherwise. Thanks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Exploring one set of the sewers connected to Westside. This is what the water looks like.

I have a really strong feeling that this doesn't have anything to do with mods, and is an issue with your drivers, graphics settings, GPU settings, and/or ENB. That looks like some pretty messed up artifacting. I could be wrong.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cirosan posted:

Just so there's no confusion, could you link me to the exact file you're talking about? I'd end up second guessing myself all day otherwise. Thanks.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/47329

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 18, 2013

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Probably an obvious question but have you turned off the appropriate water settings (in the game's launcher menu/config file)? A bunch of ENB set-ups I've tried bitch about this or that water setting (esp. object reflections or water rippletasticness or whatever) having to be turned off, OR ELSE.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

Probably an obvious question but have you turned off the appropriate water settings (in the game's launcher menu/config file)? A bunch of ENB set-ups I've tried bitch about this or that water setting (esp. object reflections or water rippletasticness or whatever) having to be turned off, OR ELSE.

Hey there, thanks for the help. There's a lot of settings here:

Which ones should I turn off?

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Turn off water displacement.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, turns out I can't get any of the mod load order apps to run in Wine, which means no mods. Is there any way I can modify the load order manually via a config/xml file or something? I can't believe I can get Steam and the actual game to run under Wine but not the mod loaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Xik posted:

Welp, turns out I can't get any of the mod load order apps to run in Wine, which means no mods. Is there any way I can modify the load order manually via a config/xml file or something? I can't believe I can get Steam and the actual game to run under Wine but not the mod loaders.

you can do it in the default launcher I think, but it's very, very, very tedious/harder I think.