Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Can anybody recommend kid-friendly science fiction that isn't goofy and has female characters who are part of the action? Basically, I'm looking for a more modern version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PQaYUryKQ
Hypernauts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJj9NKuznE

horriblePencilist posted:

I recently found about this new cartoon Disney greenlighted called Shezow. It's about a boy who finds a magic ring that gives him superpowers and a costume. Only thing is that the ring was only meant to be worn by girls, so the costume turns him into one. The concept is definitely interesting, to say the very least, but I'm curious about the execution, which is definitely going to make or break the show hard. Have you guys heard of it already? There isn't really a whole lot about the show on the internet, just some discussion, creepy fanart and the IMDb site. The only thing certain is that I am staying the gently caress away from bronies and tumblr when discussing the show.

ConanThe3rd posted:

And Yikes does that Shezow show sound like a disaster just looking for a place to happen.

PhazonLink posted:

I'll probably get flack for this but this sounds like something Japan could do competently with a non creepy writing team.
Dunno about competently or non-creepy but this was *exactly* the plot of "Kore Wa Zombie Desu?/Is This A Zombie?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej22p00ec-c

TwoPair posted:

I have serious problems reconciling the Batman-who-sometimes-is-kind-of-a-gently caress-up of earlier B:TAS episodes with the Omega-Beam-dodging-Bat-god of the later DCAU.
He got better over time?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Does anyone remember Cartoon Networks first attempt at a live action show? It was about some kids that go into a virtual world (It wasn't Code Lyoko) and battle stuff with some really bad cgi, and it died off really quickly. I almost swear this existed and I'm not losing it, but that's really all I remember.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

JoeCool posted:

Does anyone remember Cartoon Networks first attempt at a live action show? It was about some kids that go into a virtual world (It wasn't Code Lyoko) and battle stuff with some really bad cgi, and it died off really quickly. I almost swear this existed and I'm not losing it, but that's really all I remember.

I think that would be Level Up, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't their first live action show. Either way, it was about as awful as you would expect a Cartoon Network non-animated show would be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KKoserYaks posted:

I think that would be Level Up, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't their first live action show. Either way, it was about as awful as you would expect a Cartoon Network non-animated show would be.

It's definitely not that. I know what this guy is talking about, and it was an old import from Canada as I recall.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KKoserYaks posted:

Isn't Level Up still on? It seems like there's a marathon of it every time I click by Cartoon Network.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

MrAristocrates posted:

It's definitely not that. I know what this guy is talking about, and it was an old import from Canada as I recall.

Is it Zixx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5COvg0jt60w

I remember it airing along the original Ben 10 and a bunch of other unmemorable crap. It was like Level Up if it were taken completely seriously.

Harold Krell fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 17, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FrostedButts posted:

Are you kidding me? If there were a new Captain Planet cartoon right now, it would be a daily feature for anger on Fox News and blasted by corporations left and right. And if they cast Al Gore as the voice of Captain Planet, I'm pretty sure Rush Limbaugh's chest would explode.

No, it'd be a dark reboot, for sure

Cardboard Box A posted:

He got better over time?

Oh wow, that's from a while back. Anyway, yeah, I'm sure he did, I just think it's quite a bit of power creep for him to get as good as he did from B:TAS to JLU.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Isn't Level Up still on? It seems like there's a marathon of it every time I click by Cartoon Network.

I see that too but, I don't see them advertising any new episodes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I thought CN's first live action show was this trainwreck

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Oh my god why. Why would you even make me remember this existed?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Sockser posted:

That was for the "Pilot" Movie. You can tell because the Love interest and Best Friend aren't black.

No, the series was even worse, the fact that it got TWO Seasons still amazes me.

Though honestly I thought the movie was OKAY at best, the series was just poo poo.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hah, CN spent so much time promoting that thing. It was pretty obvious to me as soon as I saw the first commercial that kids would probably not be interested but they just kept on hyping it up. I think I remember Toonzone laughing their butts off when it bombed (compared to CN's projections anyway.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harold Krell posted:

Is it Zixx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5COvg0jt60w

I remember it airing along the original Ben 10 and a bunch of other unmemorable crap. It was like Level Up if it were taken completely seriously.

Yep, that's it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why Cartoon Network keeps doing things that aren't CARTOONS is baffling to me. If you want to be like Nickelodeon, change your name

This was shared on Adventure Time's timeline several times last month:

Look at all those cartoons!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of Animaniacs, apparently they're airing on THAT channel now. Caught it last week and I think I heard Slappy Squirrel say anal.

Also the show is even more awesome now that's I'm older.
It was one of the first shows to make fun of internet nerds, if not the first. That alone makes it awesome.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Huh

I just found this thread.

I've been having a few thoughts about the "90's are all that block"

Good
-Hey Arnold has aged very well. Has a very Simpsons-like vibe to it now that I'm watching it again. Also dan castellaneta is amazing

Bad
-I'll get flamed to hell and back for this, but I'm not a big fan of Kenan and Kel. Not that I don't find the pair very good, quite the opposite. It's just that the episodes themselves are quite formulaic. Blame the writers, not the actors I guess.

Ugly
-I'm still disappointed that there's not more of a variety at times. At times it's been the following: Kenan and Kel, All-That, and then either Doug, Hey Arnold or Rugrats. I mean you got Pete and Pete which was a pretty drat good show, and you also got Rocko and Angry Beavers which I happened to enjoy from back in the day. Switch it up a bit.
RE: the good: I watched a few episodes of Hey Arnold on Netflix, and I instantly fell in love with it. The first season came on at around the time that I stopped watching Nickelodeon as a kid, so I only saw a few episodes and didn't really appreciate it. It's probably the most well-rounded kids show I've ever seen- it has laughs, a kid's sense of curiosity, great characters, and tears (the Christmas episode :cry: ). And let's not forget the jazz soundtrack, which is catchy as hell.

As for the bad, I agree with you completely. Looking back, Kenan and Kel really doesn't cut it for me anymore, and neither does All That. The humor just falls flat now that I'm a 20-something

The ugly... I'll admit that I haven't watched the '90s block in months, but it doesn't surprise me that they've gotten lazy with the scheduling considering that they don't regularly post schedules on their Facebook page anymore. Do they still have the Friday U-Pick With Stick block, or has that fallen by the wayside?

FrostedButts posted:

Are you kidding me? If there were a new Captain Planet cartoon right now, it would be a daily feature for anger on Fox News and blasted by corporations left and right. And if they cast Al Gore as the voice of Captain Planet, I'm pretty sure Rush Limbaugh's chest would explode.
All the more reason to do a reboot.

Macaluso posted:

Why Cartoon Network keeps doing things that aren't CARTOONS is baffling to me. If you want to be like Nickelodeon, change your name

This was shared on Adventure Time's timeline several times last month:

Look at all those cartoons!
It used to be a lot worse, trust me. A few years back, it looked like Cartoon Network was going to phase out the "cartoon" part almost entirely. They promoted crappy live-action shows at the expense of stuff like Flapjack and Chowder. Then Adventure Time and Regular Show came along and brought about an animation renaissance of sorts. It remains to be seen whether that new Incredible Crew show will fizzle out or whether it will swing the pendulum back the other way.

Also Shaq hosting an awards show is awesome and I will not hear otherwise. Last year he wore the Finn hat, how is that not cool?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I watched the premiere of Incredible Crew on new year's eve. It was okay. The voice actor for Finn is a pretty cool dude.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

I see that too but, I don't see them advertising any new episodes.

I think they're just between seasons right now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

It was one of the first shows to make fun of internet nerds, if not the first. That alone makes it awesome.

RE: the good: I watched a few episodes of Hey Arnold on Netflix, and I instantly fell in love with it. The first season came on at around the time that I stopped watching Nickelodeon as a kid, so I only saw a few episodes and didn't really appreciate it. It's probably the most well-rounded kids show I've ever seen- it has laughs, a kid's sense of curiosity, great characters, and tears (the Christmas episode :cry: ). And let's not forget the jazz soundtrack, which is catchy as hell.

As for the bad, I agree with you completely. Looking back, Kenan and Kel really doesn't cut it for me anymore, and neither does All That. The humor just falls flat now that I'm a 20-something

The ugly... I'll admit that I haven't watched the '90s block in months, but it doesn't surprise me that they've gotten lazy with the scheduling considering that they don't regularly post schedules on their Facebook page anymore. Do they still have the Friday U-Pick With Stick block, or has that fallen by the wayside?

The Hey Arnold ep. where he finds about his parents is kind of touching. Again, it seems very simpson-like in terms of characters and certain moments like that.

I think All That/Kenan and Kel are perfect examples as to why some people's views of nostalgia can be incorrect. Not everything was "better" back then, I kind of feel it's best to leave them in the past rather than airing episodes again.

I will say this, oddly enough, Good Burger is not a bad watch, it's not a "Great" comedy per say, but it's at least has a few decent bits here and there. The TV-Movie that Kenan and Kel were in had a few moments as well, I recall finding the scene tossing the head one of characters around with "Sweet Georgia Brown" playing rather funny.

They seemed to be a lot better when they escaped the formula that seemed to be included in every episode.

I'm still very much puzzled as to why they don't just spice up the variety more. Also, they keep showing adverts for this "Nick Mom" thing on the Nick Jr. network, and it's just loving terrible. I realize I'm not in the demographic, and I have no problem with it existing, but wow it's just unfunny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xbPPVaHqsSQ

Fake Edit: I guess people are trying to get it cancelled too.

http://cancelnickmom.com/

Which makes sense, because I imagine if you have a sick pre-schooler or something and they're keeping you up all hours of the night, I imagine a 24 hour Nick Jr., channel is very much a good thing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Hah, CN spent so much time promoting that thing. It was pretty obvious to me as soon as I saw the first commercial that kids would probably not be interested but they just kept on hyping it up. I think I remember Toonzone laughing their butts off when it bombed (compared to CN's projections anyway.)

Are the big wigs responsible for this and the CN Real thing still working for CN? I feel like that they should be promoted to head of the Antarctica Programing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Are the big wigs responsible for this and the CN Real thing still working for CN? I feel like that they should be promoted to head of the Antarctica Programing.

Knowing how these things work, they probably run CN at this point.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I would pay a separate monthly subscription to get CN/Boomerang UK. Oddly enough, one of the things I most look forward to when traveling internationally is getting the international CN channels, as they still feel like the channel you grew up watching, not this MTV wannabe, where they drop the original purpose of the channel in search for random garbage that they hope appeals to their demographic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

As I understand it, live-action programming is actually cheaper to produce generally than new animation and both Nickelodeon and Disney pull mad numbers from their sub-par sitcoms, so I can't fault CN for trying to get in on that action. But yeah, it is all pretty godawful and I'm glad there seems to be less and less of it.

e: Of course, even cheaper than producing your own content is importing it and that lands you more Johnny Test. Ughhh, give me more Level Up any day.

double edit: VVV It's alright, the children of the 2000s will need something to look back on in 10 years and say "Why the hell did we ever like that?" Y'know, like All That is for me.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 17, 2013

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sockser posted:

I watched the premiere of Incredible Crew on new year's eve. It was okay. The voice actor for Finn is a pretty cool dude.

This is a lie. Incredible Crew might be the worst variety show I've ever seen.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought that the rap Finn's voice actor did in his mom's minivan was cute, but he alone can't convince me to watch a live-action variety show for kids.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Occupation posted:

This is a lie. Incredible Crew might be the worst variety show I've ever seen.

Maybe my expectations have just been lowered by watching bullshit Disney channel variety shows like So Random!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkgFbH9H08

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xbPPVaHqsSQ

Fake Edit: I guess people are trying to get it cancelled too.

http://cancelnickmom.com/

Which makes sense, because I imagine if you have a sick pre-schooler or something and they're keeping you up all hours of the night, I imagine a 24 hour Nick Jr., channel is very much a good thing.

Pretty much yeah, my kids have both got the flu this week and it sucks that their lovely adult programming starts at 10, because the Disney Junior channel doesn't really cut it as 90% of the shows on there are crap too. Pretty much any given post on the Nick Jr. facebook page consists of negative comments about NickMom and people seem pretty upset between that and them getting rid of Moose / adding 10 minutes of commercials between shows over the last year, but they seem to ignore all the comments under the mentality of "gently caress you, you'll watch it and sit your kids in front of it anyway, and you'll like it."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There will be a day when "gently caress you, got mine" doesn't work as an excuse and it will be freaking glorious.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ConanThe3rd posted:

There will be a day when "gently caress you, got mine" doesn't work as an excuse and it will be freaking glorious.

But that hasn't been an excuse in Television for decades. lovely programming gets watched if there's an audiance for it, it's got nothing to do with forcing people to watch it. I mean there are people out there who like and enjoy Amish Mafia of all things.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's already beginning to happen.

With Netflix, and Hulu becoming viable alternatives, and the mere fact that networks like AMC and HBO are increasing in popularity within the past 10 years, things are going to have to change.

I mean, I was able to go stream the Peach Bowl this year on a TV of someone who doesn't even have cable.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone develops a spotify/pandora like platform will exist in the next 10 years, if not sooner.

Anyone who is continuing to shove things like "NickMom", and "Honey Booboo" down peoples throats is going to soon find themselves struggling to be relevant by people who actually matter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
CN Real thing bombed and that took a while. Give it time and all traces of Nick Mom will be buried and become myth.

"Internet nerds say what? No way, they're making poo poo up. No way Nick would bat stupid!"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone who is continuing to shove things like "NickMom", and "Honey Booboo" down peoples throats is going to soon find themselves struggling to be relevant by people who actually matter.
Honey Boo Boo is a lot more popular than 95% of the shows discussed in this topic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Honey Boo Boo is a lot more popular than 95% of the shows discussed in this topic.
Sturgeon's Law, 90% of viewers are idiots.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to watching a couple episodes of Ben 10 Omniverse. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It feels a lot like the old Teen Titans cartoon.

Though with the constant callbacks the show makes I'm seriously wondering if they're going to pull a Reboot and end up having first-series Ben working alongside present-day Ben somehow.

Edit: Also, am I the only one that thinks Ben is slowly growing into Shaggy from Scooby Doo?

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 20, 2013

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sturgeon's Law, 90% of viewers are idiots.

Nevermind, you're obviously 13.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 21, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cliff Racer posted:

Honey Boo Boo is a lot more entertaining than 95% of the live action shows on Disney/Nick/CN.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Honey Boo Boo is a lot more entertaining than 95% of the live action shows on Disney/Nick/CN.

You shut your blasphemous mouth, that's... a completely accurate assessment :negative: But hey, if you follow the Alphas thread: at least they don't show wrestling on Disney, right?

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's already beginning to happen.

With Netflix, and Hulu becoming viable alternatives, and the mere fact that networks like AMC and HBO are increasing in popularity within the past 10 years, things are going to have to change.

Things may change, but it's going to take awhile for that to happen.

Nickelodeon has been riding on Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents reruns for the past seven years. I say this because when I was in college in 2005 I left Nick on in the background while I was working on a project and it was nothing but Fairly Odd Parents...for eight straight hours! No special event, no marathon event, just regular Saturday programming. I thought, "wow, what an awful programming schedule."

And now just about every network has copied this example. The only time I ever watch actual cable television is on weekends when I visit my parents/in-laws and every drat channel is in marathon mode. Who wants to watch a collection of different shows when you can sit through six hours of a reality show about making moonshine?

The only network that has great programming outside of prime-time is AMC because when they're not airing the best shows on television they're running surprisingly good movies.

I think the cracks are starting to form though as Viacom is seriously considering the option of dumping Nickelodeon. Unless Korra, TMNT and Kung-Fu Panda blow the ratings out of the water, I don't think there is much hope for Nick. Their sitcoms can only go so far and so cheap before they do nothing and Power Rangers could up and leave anytime.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I got to say I'm kinda digging the schedule for Vortexx on the CW.

Yeah, they're basically piggy-backing off of previous content, but they've made some wise choices. Transformers Prime and Justice League Unlimited on a major network for Saturday mornings? Sounds good to me. If they can just gather enough content to shed the 4Kids leftovers, I just may start watching it regularly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ariza posted:

Nevermind, you're obviously 13.
I'm sorry, what part of correctly identifying the majority of the audience of honey boo boo makes me 13?

FrostedButts posted:

If they can just gather enough content to shed the 4Kids leftovers, I just may start watching it regularly.
Given it's Saban who are behind Vortex I wouldn't bet too highly on them jettisoning the 4kids stuff any time soon.

Heck, the original Yu-Gi-Oh, (that was dubbed by 4Kids) was due to start on Nicktoons a couple of days ago.

Not a bad thing, mind. 4kids didn't exclusively produce swill. They did do alot but I think the house Digimon dubbed knows what to pick out of the roster.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

readingatwork posted:

Finally got around to watching a couple episodes of Ben 10 Omniverse. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It feels a lot like the old Teen Titans cartoon.

Though with the constant callbacks the show makes I'm seriously wondering if they're going to pull a Reboot and end up having first-series Ben working alongside present-day Ben somehow.

Edit: Also, am I the only one that thinks Ben is slowly growing into Shaggy from Scooby Doo?

I agree. I especially enjoyed that episode with the brain switch. I really liked how they showed how much Ben has grown as a person, and it's always good to see Professor Paradox. I also surprisingly liked the age reversal episode, which is usually obligatory and formulaic – this one, however, had great fightscenes and music. Also, I gotta say I really like Rook (if I typed that correctly). His chemistry between Ben is a lot of fun to watch and more entertaining than "bratty kid and snooty sister". I'm glad they don't use young Ben as much as it seemed to be at first, I feel like old Ben's setting is varied and interesting enough to carry the show alone.

There is an episode of young Ben and old Ben teaming up, actually. Episode 116 of Ultimate Alien, "The Forge Of Creation". From what I remember, it was a good episode, but more because of the overarching plot, and less because of young Ben and old Ben interacting. The setting is pretty unique so there's a lot of stuff going on.