Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Pander posted:

I don't even know where to begin. It's like they're Teddy Ruxpins with NRA talking points cassettes inside.

It's pointless to talk to them. The people who watch Fox News and listen to Rush and Beck all day long don't have arguments, and they don't have reasons. They don't see things with nuance, they see things in black and white, and this is a black and white issue. The 2nd Amendment says they can have guns, so they can have guns. There's no subtlety, it's plain and it is what it is.

Not all gun owners, or even gun enthusiasts, are like that. In fact, most aren't. But, in all honesty, the people who you're talking about that just spew talking points, they don't want a discussion. There's no discourse to be had. It's FYGM with guns. The only thing you'll get from trying to engage them is a headache. They're irl trolls.

It's the same thing as right-wing christians: the majority of them don't believe the terrible things that the guys on top say, but the vocal minority of the minority are loud and idiotic, and a lot of people are afraid to question it or just think that it goes without saying that they're not like those crazy people.

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

At my office I'm surrounded by 4 different late 20s/early 30s engineers who talk about guns every single day. Yesterday one of them had Fox News streaming from his computer all day long. Nobody should subject me to hours of loving Charles Krauthammer.

They're the epitome of "I'm safe with my gun, so nobody should ever be able to take it away from me just because everyone else is bad" type of thinking. They think everything, even Barrett Light '50s and M4A1's should be available to them because "they're responsible."

I don't even know where to begin. It's like they're Teddy Ruxpins with NRA talking points cassettes inside.

This, this is exactly what I have around me at work at all times, except instead of a couple of guys try 50 at all times talking about "are guns" and Obama is Hitler, and the sky wizards are coming. On their lunch breaks they go shopping for ammo, because "everyone is sold out around here all the time"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Flaggy posted:

This, this is exactly what I have around me at work at all times, except instead of a couple of guys try 50 at all times talking about "are guns" and Obama is Hitler, and the sky wizards are coming. On their lunch breaks they go shopping for ammo, because "everyone is sold out around here all the time"

Jesus where the hell do goons work where this kind of attitude is prevalent? Every office I've worked in has been pretty left leaning.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Peven Stan posted:

Jesus where the hell do goons work where this kind of attitude is prevalent? Every office I've worked in has been pretty left leaning.

I'm Lucky in that I live in California, specifically the San Francisco bay area. People aren't really like that around here. In southern California my relatives are like this however. I'm also lucky because I work in the computer technician field and we are generally a progressive bunch.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Peven Stan posted:

Engineers :|

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Peven Stan posted:

NE Florida. I can't speak for the rest of us.

I'm sorry. So, so sorry. I do what I can.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Flaggy posted:

Speaking of Hitler and Obama:
Heard a segment on Limbaugh about the audacity of Bob Schieffer to compare the gun control fight with the country's struggle during WWII to defeat Hitler.

:byodood: Why is the Left not criticized for this? They slander, defame, and instill fear in their base. They compare "their enemies" to the Nazis and Hitler! The people on the Left wrote books and movies on the assassination of GW Bush! How about the dangerous provocation of their language?! It's coming directly from the White HutHouse! The seething hatred of the Left knows no bounds! The Media loves any President who sticks it to the people! Why are these media pundits stalking me and repeating the things I say!? Because they hate America! The Left will never honestly say that they want to get rid of the 2nd amendment! I am not the one being dishonest here!

Rush Limbaugh posted:

The two worse scourges of modern history have been the scourges of communism and Nazism. Untold millions of people had their lives destroyed because of communism and Nazism. Now what was communism? What is it? Simply put, communism is an attempt to whip up a war between economic classes of people. Nazism, ultimately, was an attempt to whip up a war between the races. Now we have an American presidential campaign, that seems to be trying to do both these things. Correct me if I'm wrong, we've got a president that encourages class warfare, he's promoting class envy. We have a president who doesn't mind at all this war between the race.
(5/25/12)

Boston.com posted:

On his show today, he criticized Democrats' proposals on healthcare, the environment, and other issues. Limbaugh also complained that anyone who disagrees with President Obama and Democrats is demonized, when Obama's grassroots supporters are the real "brownshirts." And on Limbaugh's website, an Obama healthcare logo is put side-by-side with a Nazi symbol.
(8/6/09)
Also, my google search of "limbaugh compares nazi" yielded this gem from a Tea Party group in San Diego, CA

quote:

Rush compared Obama to Adolf Hitler in the way he makes propaganda. Hitler is a useful icon. When you invoke Hitler in a comparison everyone knows what you mean, but a more accurate comparison would be to David Duke the debonair, American neo-Nazi and Grand Wizard of the KKK, who put a friendly face on racial extremism.
Rush Limbaugh compares Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler

The black liberation doctrine of Obama's church in Chicago is based on black racial identity and is similar to a black version of Nazism in its fundamental racial concept. It is little understood history, but black emulation of white supremacy goes back nearly a century, when Marcus Garvey recommended that black groups model themselves after white supremacist groups. Garvey was the prophet of black nationalism and once predicted that one day the black race would produce their own "black Hitler." See the link below for more information.

Obama & the Black Nazi Movement

Jeremiah Wright has been the leading implementer of the ideas of Black Liberation Theology in the nation and Obama called him his spiritual guide. So, it is absurd to say that Obama did not know what Black Liberation theology is all about, the destruction of the white race, America and the traditional Christian church. The media never fully explained to the public what Black Liberation Theology is and how it relates to black nationalist sects, such as Farrakhan's Nation of Islam, which was in large part the inspiration for the Black Liberation Theology of Obama's own anti-American religious sect, ministered by the now notorious Jeremiah Wright.
:ironicat:
It really is amazing how much projection goes on in every second of Limbaugh's program.
EDIT: For those whole like the A/V :psyduck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w-Ll0JXSU
EDIT the Second: Keep in mind this was written in 2010, so I'm sure the list today would actually be much longer: http://mediamatters.org/research/2010/09/28/the-right-wing-medias-selective-outrage-over-na/171232

kik2dagroin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 17, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

NW IA. Yeah.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kik2dagroin posted:

Speaking of Hitler and Obama:
Heard a segment on Limbaugh about the audacity of Bob Schieffer to compare the gun control fight with the country's struggle during WWII to defeat Hitler.

:byodood: Why is the Left not criticized for this? They slander, defame, and instill fear in their base. They compare "their enemies" to the Nazis and Hitler! The people on the Left wrote books and movies on the assassination of GW Bush! How about the dangerous provocation of their language?! It's coming directly from the White HutHouse! The seething hatred of the Left knows no bounds! The Media loves any President who sticks it to the people! Why are these media pundits stalking me and repeating the things I say!? Because they hate America! The Left will never honestly say that they want to get rid of the 2nd amendment! I am not the one being dishonest here!
(5/25/12)

(8/6/09)
Also, my google search of "limbaugh compares nazi" yielded this gem from a Tea Party group in San Diego, CA

It really is amazing how much projection goes on in every second of Limbaugh's program.
EDIT: For those whole like the A/V :psyduck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w-Ll0JXSU

It's all true, what you posted. What little I heard I heard him say today amounted to "why do they keep coming after ME when I'm bending over backwards and going out of my way to keep a low profile?"

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Nazis - Wanted a race war, which is why they invaded the majority of Caucasian Europe and only a sliver of the North African coast.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BUSH 2112 posted:

It's pointless to talk to them. The people who watch Fox News and listen to Rush and Beck all day long don't have arguments, and they don't have reasons. They don't see things with nuance, they see things in black and white, and this is a black and white issue. The 2nd Amendment says they can have guns, so they can have guns. There's no subtlety, it's plain and it is what it is.

Not all gun owners, or even gun enthusiasts, are like that. In fact, most aren't. But, in all honesty, the people who you're talking about that just spew talking points, they don't want a discussion. There's no discourse to be had. It's FYGM with guns. The only thing you'll get from trying to engage them is a headache. They're irl trolls.

It's the same thing as right-wing christians: the majority of them don't believe the terrible things that the guys on top say, but the vocal minority of the minority are loud and idiotic, and a lot of people are afraid to question it or just think that it goes without saying that they're not like those crazy people.

This post reminds me of a thing Maddow did this week, breaking down some of the tactics of the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwRnF_bhzls

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I really can't understand the anti-gun fever. I see more outrage towards guns that really aren't used to commit crimes than the lack of public medical research funding.

Am I doing some kind of logical fallacy or missing some political calculus? Because gun control seems like a wedge issue to manipulate liberal voters in the same way conservatives get hoodwinked with the gay marriage issue. All we're doing is unifying conservatives when we should be pushing bank reform, education reform, and health reform.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oceanlife posted:

I really can't understand the anti-gun fever. I see more outrage towards guns that really aren't used to commit crimes than the lack of public medical research funding.

Am I doing some kind of logical fallacy or missing some political calculus? Because gun control seems like a wedge issue to manipulate liberal voters in the same way conservatives get hoodwinked with the gay marriage issue. All we're doing is unifying conservatives when we should be pushing bank reform, education reform, and health reform.

I think you're missing the part where bank reform, education reform, and health reform have all become bizarrely and thoroughly partisan issues just like gun control.

It's like how global warming is a partisan issue in America - because science is now partisan.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anything that will affect the bottom line of the 1% in a way they don't like is partisan. Wow how'd that happen?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Spacedad posted:

This post reminds me of a thing Maddow did this week, breaking down some of the tactics of the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwRnF_bhzls

quote:

UniversalBrother108 16 hours ago

This comment has received too many negative votes

Her troll schtick is a logical fallacy, it is unfortunate people take this as rational thinking.

quote:

UniversalBrother108 4 hours ago

As in she is not engaging ANY of the ideas of her opponents, but instead she is creating some arbitrary term to discredit their ideas. Its a clever trick where all she is doing is invoking that word to disregard thoughts and opinions of other people without actually addressing what they are actually saying. This methodology renders her logical invalid, as she is not critically engaging any of the ideas, thoughts, or opinions coming from the people she is labeling as "trolls".

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Wow, thanks youtube.

Yes because "if liberals are offended by it, it must be a valid argument" is totally not fallacious.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Crossposting this from the pictures thread because it's pissing me off more and more as I read it.

At first I thought this was just the garden variety right-wing silliness, but that one line at the top really makes me mad. "Introduce teen Girl-Scout delegates to the concept of 'sexual rights' for children without their parents' consent." It just makes me incredibly angry that we have all kinds of people who are trying their hardest to eliminate rape-culture through direct action, social media, and awareness campaigns, and here you have these people from the stone age decrying the fact that little girls are being taught that they have the right to not be loving raped or molested. They're mad that girls are being taught that.

I just, I don't know. I don't know how they do it, conservatives. I need a break from reading their insane bullshit, because I just have disgust fatigue.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Marxist badges? What, like, Suzie got this one for seizing the means of production?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
:ohdear:Oh no, not "information-based" education!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

BUSH 2112 posted:

Crossposting this from the pictures thread because it's pissing me off more and more as I read it.

At first I thought this was just the garden variety right-wing silliness, but that one line at the top really makes me mad. "Introduce teen Girl-Scout delegates to the concept of 'sexual rights' for children without their parents' consent." It just makes me incredibly angry that we have all kinds of people who are trying their hardest to eliminate rape-culture through direct action, social media, and awareness campaigns, and here you have these people from the stone age decrying the fact that little girls are being taught that they have the right to not be loving raped or molested. They're mad that girls are being taught that.

I just, I don't know. I don't know how they do it, conservatives. I need a break from reading their insane bullshit, because I just have disgust fatigue.

This was posted on facebook by a friend who said "This makes me want to buy more girl scout cookies." :laugh:

It's great because everything they list there as 'bad' is actually great, and why the girl scouts are great.
It's like this thing was written by a Saturday morning cartoon villain who detests all goodness. "EWWW. LOVE, and HUGS. Such DETESTABLE creatures, SHARING and CARING."

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Seoinin posted:

Marxist badges? What, like, Suzie got this one for seizing the means of production?

I want a marxist badge now :( Wish I was a girl scout

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Spacedad posted:

This was posted on facebook by a friend who said "This makes me want to buy more girl scout cookies." :laugh:

It's great because everything they list there as 'bad' is actually great, and why the girl scouts are great.
It's like this thing was written by a Saturday morning cartoon villain who detests all goodness. "EWWW. LOVE, and HUGS. Such DETESTABLE creatures, SHARING and CARING."

K, I'm buying girl scout cookies when they set up shop in front of my grocery store now. My diet can suck it. If they can eat horrible chicken sandwiches to protest homosexuality, I'll eat thin mints to further the gay agenda. I'll play junk food politics too.

But yeah, the Conservative movement in America(and probably elsewhere) has degraded into cartoon villainy for awhile. Boo Gay Soldiers, Yay Letting Sick People die, Harassing people who helped scared children Yay, 47% of the country are horrible moochers who want free stuff.

Their potential presidential candidates wanted to conquer the moon, believed Rapists carried out God's will, and could be compared to Patrick Bateman and Gargamel.

Sharing is just another word for COMMUNISM.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

K, I'm buying girl scout cookies when they set up shop in front of my grocery store now. My diet can suck it. If they can eat horrible chicken sandwiches to protest homosexuality, I'll eat thin mints to further the gay agenda. I'll play junk food politics too.

But yeah, the Conservative movement in America(and probably elsewhere) has degraded into cartoon villainy for awhile. Boo Gay Soldiers, Yay Letting Sick People die, Harassing people who helped scared children Yay, 47% of the country are horrible moochers who want free stuff.

Their potential presidential candidates wanted to conquer the moon, believed Rapists carried out God's will, and could be compared to Patrick Bateman and Gargamel.

Sharing is just another word for COMMUNISM.

Obviously, since you couldn't more communist than the Smurfs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I was going to have sweet sweet thin mints no matter what, but now I am not going to feel bad when I do it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Obviously, since you couldn't more communist than the Smurfs.

The new Smurfs movie prequel is all about how Papa Smurf seized the hearts and minds of the proletariat.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The Girl Scouts have been loving awesome for a while. It's really interesting how they've maintained sanity and progressivism while the Boy Scouts were taken over the cliff by right wing nutjobs completely against the spirit the organization was originally founded on.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm now picturing the Girl Scouts as the vanguard of American socialist revolution. I guess the dark side really does have cookies.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Number Two Stunna posted:

I want a marxist badge now :( Wish I was a girl scout

Get a patch for your hardcore punk battle jacket.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ErIog posted:

The Girl Scouts have been loving awesome for a while. It's really interesting how they've maintained sanity and progressivism while the Boy Scouts were taken over the cliff by right wing nutjobs completely against the spirit the organization was originally founded on.

Men. The Boy Scouts is an organization obsessed with turning boys into the archetypical (non-existent) Grizzled Rugged American Man.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Men. The Boy Scouts is an organization obsessed with turning boys into the archetypical (non-existent) Grizzled Rugged American Man.

When I was in Cub Scouts it was just making some race cars at a church and going over to random kids houses for arts and crafts, with a generous side serving of Jesus. I would have killed to be taught how to make camp fires and shoot guns and all that Grizzled Rugged American Man stuff. But after two years of de facto bible study, I quit.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a box of girl scout cookies a while back after they came out supporting transgendered kids. After seeing the amount of trans fats in there though, I think I'll just give a straight-up donation instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ShadowCatboy posted:

I bought a box of girl scout cookies a while back after they came out supporting transgendered kids. After seeing the amount of trans fats in there though, I think I'll just give a straight-up donation instead.

And here I thought you were pro trans :colbert:.

But yea, I've been just sticking with donating lately too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oceanlife posted:

When I was in Cub Scouts it was just making some race cars at a church and going over to random kids houses for arts and crafts, with a generous side serving of Jesus. I would have killed to be taught how to make camp fires and shoot guns and all that Grizzled Rugged American Man stuff. But after two years of de facto bible study, I quit.

:v: My cub scouts was make some race cars at my elementary school, going over to random kids houses for arts and crafts, with a generous side serving of learning how to make camp fires and shoot guns and arrows. Literally it depends on your local group, some are poo poo some are awesome as gently caress. The boy scouts whom I moved up to were in a church, because it was right next door to the elementary school and the county Police department had to stop letting them meet there (also next to the elementary school) due to security measures. Really depends on the group though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Orange Devil posted:

I'm now picturing the Girl Scouts as the vanguard of American socialist revolution. I guess the dark side really does have cookies.

Is it really the dark side if there's cookies involved?

Then again maybe parties like PSL would fare better if they offered delicious treats.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Oceanlife posted:

My troop's leader was pushed out because he didn't give a drat about the Jesus bit. I left shortly after when it was clear that they would not let me advance without some Jesus poo poo. My mother, desperate to keep me in Boy Scouts, bought me a book that was supposed to show me that God existed. I came to her after reading an essay in there and asked "why do they claim that some Christians believe the earth is 6,000 years old? People don't really believe that do they?" and "why does the Bible contradict itself and tell us to hurt people?"

Turns out she bought a book that was an anthology of essays by atheists. And as for said troop leader, he ended up working as a lab tech where I went to college and was actually an atheist, and just liked teaching kids about camping.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

My boy scout troop met in a church but the extent of our religious involvement was our leaders politely asking us to attend sunday services in uniform a few times a year, just to show our appreciation for the space. Our leaders were also openly skeptical about the socially conservative direction the national organization was taking so individual scout troops vary a great deal in their outlook.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was at a CPU the other day (Contract Postal Unit, basically a full service post office that has been privatized like everything else in America) and, as soon as I entered, a guy started going full on Levin on everyone in line. No one was talking to him, but he started literally bellowing about how how funny it was that Obama's kids had armed guards and apparently our kids aren't precious enough to need them (a reference to a recent NRA ad), and talking about how Obama was building mosques in Egypt and how he was a secret Muslim.

The woman standing next to him meekly said "You know, I'm a schoolteacher, and the last thing I think is going to make us more safe is more guns in schools." He then started yelling directly at her about how everyone was living in a fantasy land, and how we must all be Obama voters. I looked at him and said "You don't know anything about her or anyone else here. Men fought and died to protect the right to free speech in this wonderful country of ours, it's pathetic that you're screaming at someone for exercising their Constitutional right to put you in your place." (I'm aware this doesn't make a lot of sense, but I was rattled and I'm not pretending to be an Internet tough guy).

He started talking again and the clerk at the front said "Hey! Enough!", which he decided to ignore until I muttered aloud to my girlfriend, "Sheesh! He sounds like one of those Occupiers. Always shoving it down your throat." That promptly shut him up, and was made all the more hilarious by the fact that I marched in 2011's Occupy protests.

Then as I was leaving, a different woman came up to me and shook my hand and thanked me for saying what I did, then I got in the car and laughed at how ridiculous this situation was with my girlfriend.

I guess I posted about this because it proves that my time on D&D has helped me debate and discuss with all different types of people. I'm not going to shout you down if I overhear you talking about how Obama's a Marxist - I don't agree with that opinion, but you're entitled to it. If you talk about how futile gun control is, I also don't necessarily agree with you, but there's a lot of data to back up your point, too. When you start screaming like a street preacher at people in line at a post office, though, it seems like the best tactic to engage you with is the "no true conservative" approach. If you loved America and the Constitution and the troops and capitalism as much as I do, well by God, you wouldn't be making such an rear end of yourself, you dirty hippy!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I get the feeling that consumers of right-wing media don't really understand how to turn off their Right Wing Blather to stand in loving line for five minutes. Too much time spent away from their precious Fox News?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe they think if they yell it loud enough Sean Hannity will hear it through the ether and send an autographed 8x10 and they'll be best buds 4eva.

Also I guarantee that guy's retelling of the story involves him heroically standing up to the marxist unionized teacher lady and showing her the error of her ways and putting some young Obamabot punk in his place when he tried foolishly talking back. Then everyone slowly clapped. Either that or he's gonna go home, murder his family and his coworkers.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I get the feeling that consumers of right-wing media don't really understand how to turn off their Right Wing Blather to stand in loving line for five minutes. Too much time spent away from their precious Fox News?

I think this is pretty accurate. My girlfriends step dad is a perfect example of this. Everything is a perfect time to spew Fox news nonsense. The worst examples being taking toys away from her 5 year old and telling him that is what Democrats want to do. The other was talking so much poo poo that her 8 year old was honestly upset about the prospect of "the bad man" winning the election. She finally had to tell him not to talk to them about anything other than cartoons and dirt bikes.