Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
There are cups that are not made of this nebulous "hard material" that you can use in order to not be a doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Didn't Yuns make an amazing post about guillotines recently? Which reminds me, I found a vid of the McKenzietine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yXEgedXCy4 that explains it pretty well. And of course Marcelo has a great guillotine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdfOdRn_rRw.

SlyUses
Dec 26, 2012

It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength.
MMA HQ doing a rolling deal special sales thing

http://www.mmahq.com/

Some good buys. Got an AIBA Adidas headguard for $40, plus $15 international shipping. So $55/£35 for something that'd cost me about $110/£70 in stores here, fairly pleased.

A Man With A Plan posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for boxing gyms in Dallas? Most of the places near me (Highland Park, a super-rich suburb) look to be mostly boxercise type gyms, which is not what I'm interested in.

I was going to check out this place, Maple Avenue boxing ( http://dallasboxinggym.com/home.html ) since their facilities look decent and apparently at least one pro trains there, but I'd welcome any other suggestions. Thanks!

I thought maybe this link would help you:

http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/texas.htm

I'd be more interested in the stable of amateurs and how well they do than the pros presuming you're just starting out.

SlyUses fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 14, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

A Man With A Plan posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for boxing gyms in Dallas? Most of the places near me (Highland Park, a super-rich suburb) look to be mostly boxercise type gyms, which is not what I'm interested in.

I was going to check out this place, Maple Avenue boxing ( http://dallasboxinggym.com/home.html ) since their facilities look decent and apparently at least one pro trains there, but I'd welcome any other suggestions. Thanks!

Maple Ave boxing is where you want to go. They'll treat you right and have a pretty good roster of fighters at various levels. Including errol Flynn who won a bronze (or something) at the Olympics last year.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Just took my third BJJ class ever and it was totally awesome except I walked home thinking "wow that's a painful stitch I need to do more cardio" and woke up realising "wow that's a bruised rib". Didn't even notice when or how it happened, during rolling I guess. Any tips for recovery?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Rest.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nierbo posted:

Is there a specific name for that guillotine or maybe front choke, I don't know the exactly terminology, where the opponent is turtled and you put the back of their head in the middle of your chest and do a no-arm-in guillotine, pulling your arm skyward and holding their head and neck down with your chest? I'd love to learn it and catch a few turtlers at judo.
There is a similar guillotine called a "belly guillotine" where you use your stomach on the back of their head keeping your stomach centered over the back of the head and lock your hands under their chin and pull up on the trachea while forcing the back of the head down with your stomach/chest. It's not very high percentage but it does work and can be used both standing and turtled.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Does anyone here have or use a free standing bag or torso dude thingo, I don't have room for a full size hanging bag anywhere in my house, but one of the free standing ones would fit. I've never used one though so I don't know how good they are.

Also I'm questioning are they stable enough you can hit them hard without them toppling?

SlyUses
Dec 26, 2012

It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength.
One boxing gym I train at has one of those BOBs. They're fairly stable but you can't hit them quite like you would a heavy bag because they don't offer the same resistance, and can shift if you get overzealous. The head offers very little resistance, and the torso a moderate amount. They're good for practicing specific moves/angles on them, and I've been told they're good for training to throw a high kick that will travel over your opponent's shoulder, and also for clinchwork like in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4e7-tYlbWs

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been slowly teaching a class of very mixed fitness and amateur boxers, some very green, some the opposite, some huge guys, some little ladies, to side-step and counter (the people go to other classes too, of course). As in, slip a jab and take a little step to your right, and use the body rotation and new angle to counter with a right cross. Or slip a cross and step slightly to your left, and counter with a hook + uppercut + something + whatever.

Opinions?

[ ] Too advanced and hard to teach right, only teach to people who can already punch and box some
[ ] That's a good thing for anyone and comes up at some point, why not now
[ ] WTF not useful unless = Mike Tyson or K1, gently caress you Ligur teach the jab or walking forwards with hands up instead if you can

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Ligur posted:

I've been slowly teaching a class of very mixed fitness and amateur boxers, some very green, some the opposite, some huge guys, some little ladies, to side-step and counter (the people go to other classes too, of course). As in, slip a jab and take a little step to your right, and use the body rotation and new angle to counter with a right cross. Or slip a cross and step slightly to your left, and counter with a hook + uppercut + something + whatever.

Opinions?

[ ] Too advanced and hard to teach right, only teach to people who can already punch and box some
[ ] WTF not useful unless = Mike Tyson or K1, gently caress you Ligur teach the jab or walking forwards with hands up instead if you can

Too advanced for the greens, and vital for the advanced, or even amateur (depending on your definition of amateur, too advanced for casual athletes, absolutely vital for amateur fighters).

Try getting them to slip and step at the same time. Kind of like putting your feet together and leaning forward until you fall and absolutely have to put a leg out. Also work squats so the beginners don't bend at the waist

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Ligur posted:

Reminds me of when my old man was first teaching me to box. We practiced movement. For weeks.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ligur posted:

Opinions?

How do you mean? Something like in this video? (In Swedish. A short clip with the owner of my MMA-gym, so will probably horrify striking purists.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w222pgIa2j0

If so, I'm pretty green, and I don't think it's overly advanced. Not something I'd expect to start with, but as a beginner I think we started doing that a few weeks in or so.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

Too advanced for the greens, and vital for the advanced, or even amateur (depending on your definition of amateur, too advanced for casual athletes, absolutely vital for amateur fighters).

Try getting them to slip and step at the same time. Kind of like putting your feet together and leaning forward until you fall and absolutely have to put a leg out. Also work squats so the beginners don't bend at the waist

The "problem" is they are all in the same group and I don't have the time to teach everyone different things, drat. But anyway that's what I try: slip and take a simultanous small step. If someone can't do it (and very few can until they adjust to their partner) cut it into smaller parts: first slip, and when that works with your partner, then slip AND punch simultaneously, and when it works, then slip and take the step, and when that works slip + step + finally rotate back and throw your counter in a single movement. Hooray. If there's better ways to teach this from the ground up and anyone has ideas about it, I'm all ears.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Reminds me of when my old man was first teaching me to box. We practiced movement. For weeks.

We have advanced classes where most of the time is spent just stepping forward and throwing a punch repeatedly and/or blocking/slipping, and then stepping back and throwing a punch or slipping repeatedly. Hundreds of times. IMO that's a good thing to practice for hours and days and months.

DekeThornton posted:

How do you mean? Something like in this video? (In Swedish. A short clip with the owner of my MMA-gym, so will probably horrify striking purists.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w222pgIa2j0

If so, I'm pretty green, and I don't think it's overly advanced. Not something I'd expect to start with, but as a beginner I think we started doing that a few weeks in or so.

Sort of, yes. Some of the guys in the clip are doing this slip + step at the same time (and follow with a counter punch). Some just slip and throw a counter at the same time. See if I can elaborate tomorrow with a video or graph if I have the time. You can slip and counter past, over or under the punch too.

All better then just taking the punch or doing these things in sections and lose time. Or something.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 16, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
In regards to cup chat, it really just depends on your interest of "safety" versus skill, and how much you're willing to risk it. Me? Im a huge crybaby who got injured for a year and a half, so now Im super "safety" oriented so I wear a cup, and earguards in BJJ. Yeah, the cup makes it easier to do armbars, but its my safety first so I'd rather not get my balls crushed just so I can improve my armbars by a meagre 5% in free rolling. I sincerely doubt that wearing a cup in training, and then not in competition is going to severely hamper my armbars because I'm "cheating". I've had enough shots even with the cup in a basic knee-slide guard pass so, definitely, always will wear a cup, and wear a cup in competition if Im allowed (my safety is more important than someone crying about how my armbars are so much easier to get).

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Here is an interview with Tim Boetsch that covers some conditioning and weight cutting stuff:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2013/01/15...5b7512e366b414c

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
Sorry if this has been covered before:

How hurt is too hurt to train?

I've been training BJJ for about a week, and in my first session I broke my pinkie toe. That hasn't been much of a problem w/r/t training. However, in my job I stand, walk, and lift heavy poo poo in steel-toed boots which cause some discomfort and I favor the leg weirdly. I have developed what I think is tendinitis, which causes some pretty severe pain with every step. It's not soreness, rather like someone's poking with a really sharp stick in the side of my calf, which worsens when I run or jog.

Should I take a couple days off and RICE the leg before resuming training? I know the traditional advice is to "listen to your body" but I don't know my body all that well.

If someone could speak more generally about grappling injuries and how to deal with them, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Opinions?

It is the basic (boxing) counter to a jab. (the straight right) It is probably #1 of the counter techniques you ought to teach.
And boxing is all about the angles etc. This will show them that boxing is a smart sport, and not just about squaring up and exchanging punches until one falls down -which is the dumb way to box.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

SlyUses posted:

I thought maybe this link would help you:

http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/texas.htm

I'd be more interested in the stable of amateurs and how well they do than the pros presuming you're just starting out.

Xguard86 posted:

Maple Ave boxing is where you want to go. They'll treat you right and have a pretty good roster of fighters at various levels. Including errol Flynn who won a bronze (or something) at the Olympics last year.

Thanks guys. I had to try a couple gyms where I lived before before I found one I liked, so I'm glad this one's approved of. Should be making a visit in the next couple days! I'm excited to get back to boxing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

taladel posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before:

How hurt is too hurt to train?

I've been training BJJ for about a week, and in my first session I broke my pinkie toe. That hasn't been much of a problem w/r/t training. However, in my job I stand, walk, and lift heavy poo poo in steel-toed boots which cause some discomfort and I favor the leg weirdly. I have developed what I think is tendinitis, which causes some pretty severe pain with every step. It's not soreness, rather like someone's poking with a really sharp stick in the side of my calf, which worsens when I run or jog.

Should I take a couple days off and RICE the leg before resuming training? I know the traditional advice is to "listen to your body" but I don't know my body all that well.

If someone could speak more generally about grappling injuries and how to deal with them, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks.

You just need to know the difference between "hurt" and "injured". Muscular aches and bruises are hurts, you train through those. Broken things are injuries. Tendinitis is an injury. For a little toe like that, there's not a heap you can do, I'd take a week off, tape it up next time you train, and consider investing in wrestling shoes to wear until it heals. But for that leg pain you're describing, take like three weeks off and then see how you feel, and start back gently. A serious injury will need up to 8 weeks. Don't push yourself to train through injuries until you know your body a lot better and understand your limits.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
And know when to see a doctor. Like an idiot I put off having my shoulder checked out until I was barely able to lift my arm over my head. By that point the surgeon wasn't sure he would be able to do a repair without open-joint surgery.

Remember that you're going to be an old man someday and the more bad decisions you make now, the shittier your life will be then.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You just need to know the difference between "hurt" and "injured".

This is the thing you need to figure out yeah.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

And know when to see a doctor. Like an idiot I put off having my shoulder checked out until I was barely able to lift my arm over my head. By that point the surgeon wasn't sure he would be able to do a repair without open-joint surgery.

Remember that you're going to be an old man someday and the more bad decisions you make now, the shittier your life will be then.

I did that back in the 90s with an injury that came from falling down a small cliff. It kinda felt OK after a few days, but since I didn't really stop doing anything, eventually my right shoulder would pop out of the socket sometimes when I sneezed. It didn't hurt except when it popped out, but clearly there was a serious injury there which I let go for far too long (like, a day was too long, I should have gone to the doc immediately, but I let it deteriorate to "pops out when I sneeze" over nearly 2 years).

Then I had a shoulder reconstruction and it wasn't right for years afterward, and I couldn't do anything I wanted to do and it's part of the reason I ended up being a fat slob instead of the relatively active teenager I was.

"Harden up and deal" is fine advice that you will get a lot of, but you definitely need to know the difference between "gently caress my leg's sore after training, ice it tonight and tomorrow and train again the next day" and "I have injured my leg, time for the doctor".

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

That's what guides most of my decisions concerning judo. Quite often I could just suck it up and deal with the pain until it got worst or got better depending on how lucky I'd be, but I'm old enough to know that the older you get, the worst your body gets. I really don't want to destroy my body by being stupid now.

The only thing that really sucks is that you need experience to know when you're hurt and when you're injured and you only get that experience by being stupid a few time since you really have to push through pain and harden up when it's just pain that's not an injury.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 17, 2013

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

KingColliwog posted:

That's what guides most of my decisions concerning judo. Quite often I could just suck it up and deal with the pain until it got worst or got better depending on how lucky I'd be, but I'm old enough to know that the older you get, the worst your body gets. I really don't want to destroy my body by being stupid now.

The only thing that really sucks is that you need experience to know when you're hurt and when you're injured and you only get that experience by being stupid a few time since you really have to push through pain and harden up when it's just pain that's not an injury.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm 23 and in relatively good health, so I'll go tomorrow and feel it out. I was worried that I just need to HTFU but I don't want to hurt myself more by overdoing it.

I'm really enjoying learning so far, and I don't want to take much time off. Especially since I just signed up, that inertia is critical. Especially for as much as I'm paying (which isn't extravagant but it's more than I'm used to), I want to train as much as I can.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A followup with that guy who yelled at white-collar boxing students:
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/1/15/3866556/eric-kelly-boxing-trainer-wall-street

"All boxers are more afraid of being humiliated than getting hurt." Kinda true :smith:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kimbo305 posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/1/15/3866556/eric-kelly-boxing-trainer-wall-street

"All boxers are more afraid of being humiliated than getting hurt." Kinda true :smith:

This actually made me kind of uncomfortable, it reminds me of dudes who pay women to stomp on their balls and call them worthless pieces of poo poo. I dunno if those guys wanna box or if they just have a fetish for humiliation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

His full quote following that is really drat insightful:

All boxers are more afraid of being humiliated than getting hurt. But that need to get to the bottom of who the gently caress they are takes over. I just don’t know much that says more about your pride as a man. How you struggle to survive is a testament to your character. Huge. Inside yourself you can say to that scared part everyone has, ‘I can defend myself and I’m ready to defend myself if I have to.’ That poo poo changes everything about a man. Now I’m not going to go out looking for trouble—please don’t bring no trouble this way. But stuff happens in life. You get tested. You gotta be ready to step up to the plate. Life ain’t like them bankers fuckin’ up the economy gettin’ bailed out when you gently caress up. Out here you gotta live with the consequences of the choices you make. Look at my fuckin’ eye, man. My own fault.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

taladel posted:

I'm really enjoying learning so far, and I don't want to take much time off. Especially since I just signed up, that inertia is critical. Especially for as much as I'm paying (which isn't extravagant but it's more than I'm used to), I want to train as much as I can.

That's a good attitude for it :)

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mewse posted:

I think the absolute best thing about the fight game is guys like that. Life is a great metaphor for boxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

Out here you gotta live with the consequences of the choices you make. Look at my fuckin’ eye, man. My own fault.

I think exactly the same way. Everything you do in the ring, you are responsible for.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Guys, I need some tough love or some sort of motivation.

I hate to admit this but I think I'm getting bored of Muay Thai ( or striking in general ). This comes on the tail of realizing that I don't have the time to dedicate to entering more advanced/amateaur competitions and making this a more serious hobby. It's not fear, it's that I was told if I wanted to be serious about it I need to train minimum 4-5 days a week for the next few months before I will be sponsored. I can barely get in 2 days a week these days, I just can't commit that much time. I understand our instructors reasoning, they want a serious fight team, and if I was running it I wouldn't want any part-timers either. I suppose I just didn't really realize the time I would need to sink into it if that was truly my goal. So now my loose goal of "competing" has more or less been shelved, and that was always the ephemeral "end game" that kept me going to try and perfect what I know - in additional to the fitness.

It's not that I don't think I have room for improvement, I've only been doing this for a year and a half now I think, I guess it's just that what I have left to learn isn't really...enticing? Or to word it differently I guess I don't have the drive any more to perfect what I already know.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Sounds like you haven't set yourself any real goals. My best motivation for training was always finding a dude who was better than me, and then just training like crazy until I could beat his rear end. "Fitness" as a goal is fine if you just wanna fart around and kick things twice a week, and "perfecting what you know" is probably great motivation if you're like one of those dudes with the crazy eyes who decided their life is about martial arts now, but if you're a normal person, you need to set yourself normal person goals, ones that are achievable, but only with hard work.

When I was training for competitions, it was never about perfecting my technique; it was about wanting to punch dudes until they fall over and can't get back up. It was about wanting to be better, stronger, than the other guy. If that's not exciting to you anymore, what are you in it for?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ashenai posted:

...and "perfecting what you know" is probably great motivation if you're like one of those dudes with the crazy eyes who decided their life is about martial arts now...
Hey now, my eyes aren't that crazy.

TollTheHounds posted:

...I guess it's just that what I have left to learn isn't really...enticing? Or to word it differently I guess I don't have the drive any more to perfect what I already know.
This bit right here makes me think you should take a break from muay thai and give some other martial art a try.

I really love martial arts because they're so loving difficult to get just right and there's always a new thing to learn. I love doing a thing over and over and over, but it's the all-new stuff that keeps me going back to the dojo. I'm into martial arts simply because I love learning new exciting things and piecing them together to learn other new exciting things. Sound familiar? Because it really sounds like you've burned yourself out on a year of drilling the boring, fundamental stuff like jabs and footwork and ugh, so boring and tedious and competition-winning. Who cares about that when you could be learning something exciting like hip throws?

I might be putting words into your mouth, but so what? It's not like you lose anything if you learn something new. Well, except time. Which you already don't have.

So go out there and take a basic course in something all-new. I'm going to suggest aikido because that's what I started out with and found it fun enough to practice for three years. It's the complete opposite of muay thai: Soft and circular, calm and nonviolent, completely non-competitive (except for that one school). I grudgingly concede it's not at all useful in any sort of actual situation, but I'm positive that under the hood there's a ton you can take away from it into some other, headpunchier art.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

This article was good except for the part where he decided to throw his hat in the ring about MMA, as someone who started out boxing and moved to being more of an mma fan im always shocked at how badly old school boxing guys miss the point. Theyre always convinced that everyone suddenly stopped enjoying personal narratives in sports and just enjoy "human cockfighting" now. In reality people will always look for personal narratives, all the time, in every sport, -- its the only thing differentiating actual sports from fantasy baseball statistician poo poo. Just look at the stupid fake girlfriend football thing thats blowing up now. Fine, there probably wont ever be another sport that captures americas attention in a personal way like Ali and frazier did with boxing, that doesnt mean its the audiences fault for not liking personality anymore. Part of why MMA has such a big following of online dorks is because there are a ton of stories to talk about and colorful personalities in MMA

He says that Mayweather has an interesting gimmick with his "Money" moniker. So his wacky captivating storyline is: grew up in a family of boxers, became good at boxing, wins a lot of decisions with really good defense, and has a lot of money and occasionally beats women. drat, a wealthy pro athlete who enjoys domestic abuse, that's a one in a million sports story

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashenai posted:

Sounds like you haven't set yourself any real goals. My best motivation for training was always finding a dude who was better than me, and then just training like crazy until I could beat his rear end. "Fitness" as a goal is fine if you just wanna fart around and kick things twice a week, and "perfecting what you know" is probably great motivation if you're like one of those dudes with the crazy eyes who decided their life is about martial arts now, but if you're a normal person, you need to set yourself normal person goals, ones that are achievable, but only with hard work.

When I was training for competitions, it was never about perfecting my technique; it was about wanting to punch dudes until they fall over and can't get back up. It was about wanting to be better, stronger, than the other guy. If that's not exciting to you anymore, what are you in it for?

I have the same motivation, but a lot of people just aren't natural fighters and their goals are different. It's kinda weird that his gym showcases a compete or gently caress off attitude, in most places there's typically a little more leeway so you aren't forced to start delving really deep into the chi.

mewse
May 2, 2006

manyak posted:

This article was good except for the part where he decided to throw his hat in the ring about MMA, as someone who started out boxing and moved to being more of an mma fan im always shocked at how badly old school boxing guys miss the point. Theyre always convinced that everyone suddenly stopped enjoying personal narratives in sports and just enjoy "human cockfighting" now. In reality people will always look for personal narratives, all the time, in every sport, -- its the only thing differentiating actual sports from fantasy baseball statistician poo poo. Just look at the stupid fake girlfriend football thing thats blowing up now. Fine, there probably wont ever be another sport that captures americas attention in a personal way like Ali and frazier did with boxing, that doesnt mean its the audiences fault for not liking personality anymore. Part of why MMA has such a big following of online dorks is because there are a ton of stories to talk about and colorful personalities in MMA

He says that Mayweather has an interesting gimmick with his "Money" moniker. So his wacky captivating storyline is: grew up in a family of boxers, became good at boxing, wins a lot of decisions with really good defense, and has a lot of money and occasionally beats women. drat, a wealthy pro athlete who enjoys domestic abuse, that's a one in a million sports story

More importantly, who is boxing's nick the tooth

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

It's not fear, it's that I was told if I wanted to be serious about it I need to train minimum 4-5 days a week for the next few months before I will be sponsored. I can barely get in 2 days a week these days, I just can't commit that much time. I understand our instructors reasoning, they want a serious fight team, and if I was running it I wouldn't want any part-timers either.

I'm kind of surprised that the instructors aren't ok with you setting whatever pace you want. As long as you have something to work toward, they should be fine with teaching you. There always ought to be some class that will fit your experience level, right? The problem of you being motivated to learn something sounds separate to whether the gym is an environment that supports that.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think he meant 4-5 times weekly to roll with the gym's fight team, not just train there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Guys, I need some tough love or some sort of motivation.

I hate to admit this but I think I'm getting bored of Muay Thai ( or striking in general ). This comes on the tail of realizing that I don't have the time to dedicate to entering more advanced/amateaur competitions and making this a more serious hobby. It's not fear, it's that I was told if I wanted to be serious about it I need to train minimum 4-5 days a week for the next few months before I will be sponsored. I can barely get in 2 days a week these days, I just can't commit that much time. I understand our instructors reasoning, they want a serious fight team, and if I was running it I wouldn't want any part-timers either. I suppose I just didn't really realize the time I would need to sink into it if that was truly my goal. So now my loose goal of "competing" has more or less been shelved, and that was always the ephemeral "end game" that kept me going to try and perfect what I know - in additional to the fitness.

It's not that I don't think I have room for improvement, I've only been doing this for a year and a half now I think, I guess it's just that what I have left to learn isn't really...enticing? Or to word it differently I guess I don't have the drive any more to perfect what I already know.

How long have you been doing Muay Thai for?

Sponsored? like how? I understand if he won't sponsor you if you can't come in 4-5 times a week. I am assuming that sponsoring means you're getting paid. But will he really not let you train only 2 days a week like you want?

Also, seconding starting another art. I recommend Judo or Jiujitsu.

• Locked thread