Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Seconding In Your Ear Records in Warren, RI. Haven't been to their Boston store but they have a ton of stuff at this one. Armageddon Shop is the place to go if you're looking for metal/punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mono posted:

Seconding In Your Ear Records in Warren, RI. Haven't been to their Boston store but they have a ton of stuff at this one. Armageddon Shop is the place to go if you're looking for metal/punk.

I'm the opposite. I haven't been to the Rhode Island In Your Ear, but I have been to the Boston one. It has a pretty good selection. I'd recommend it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

So it was briefly mentioned in the last couple of pages, but I'm moving in about 3 weeks.

Has anyone ever done a move with thousands of records before. I'm not sure how to come at it. Luckily most of the records are moving from a second location that is only 5 minutes drive from the new place.

I'm thinking like 5-10 milk crates worth at a time, repeat?
I found it was worthwhile to just buy boxes (there's perfectly sized ones at Office Depot) and label Ka-Me, Me-No etc and throwing them all in the U-Haul. Doing milk crates at a time means you'll have to unpack them as you move. Plus then you've got all sorts of boxes at your disposal. I actually ended up putting them behind my expedits which served the double purpose of cushioning my records from the wall.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Ron Burgundy, I just found these on Officeworks' site, they seem like they might be good. Because they are clearance though there may not be many so here is a bulk pack for a lot more money.

I don't have any actual experience with anything like this though so don't taky my word as law I guess, maybe just go to a store and have a look around

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Harry Privates posted:

I don't like the Fetus as much as Treehouse. It's always a few dollars more at Fetus.

Cheapo in uptown is the worst though. Everything costs at least 2 dollars more than all the other stores.

Cheapo is horrible for vinyl. All the remaining stores gouge you for vinyl, so I mainly just dig through the used CDs for OOP titles I missed out on. Treehouse is nice, the times I've been there. Another place that has some good stuff is Roadrunner Records on Nicollet. I've had a few decent finds there, despite the store being completely unorganized and only slightly larger than my dad's garage. They also have a sick selection of rare DVDs for cheap too.

I miss Root Cellar Records. That place was the best.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Thanks for the tips guys, will be hitting up OfficeWorks for some of those cases today!

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
As a good ol' boy from Kentucky, I have to rep Ear-X-Tacy (R.I.P)& CD Central. Ear X Tacy was a staple store in the heart of Louisville until they shut down in 2011 :( I bought my first record there-- The Wu Tang Clan's 36 Chambers. CD Central is my current store, as I have relocated to Lexington, but it is by no means my first record store. Still, as all places go, I will stab anyone with a rusty knife if they try and shut CD Central down! So back the gently caress off! Unless you plan on support them with your well earned dollars... Then by all means, buy away!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

david puddy posted:

For the biggest range, Record Exchange in Brisbane. It has so much poo poo it's unreal:

(not my photo)

They have awful customer service though and I am still waiting on a replacement copy of Ghosts I-IV by NIN that I bought and returned last July that was warped. I am gonna go in on Saturday and ask for my money back :(

My two favourites are Atlantis Music on the Gold Coast and Rockaway Records at Carindale.

How many Australians actually post in this thread?

edit: on this note, if there are any people close to Brisbane Lifeline is doing a book fair kind of thing this weekend at the Convention & Exhibition Centre where they will apparently also have records

Sup Brisbane Record Exchange buddy. I was in there just yesterday! Might have to check out the Lifeline thing too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ron Burgundy posted:

Has anyone ever done a move with thousands of records before.

I've done this a few times and its not fun, especially if you're doing the lifting. The good part about doing the move yourself is that you can be careful with the boxes, although I've dropped a box on a corner and almost had a heart attack.

My last move I was not loving around. I had movers, so I packed milkcrates into larger boxes with a ton of extra cardboard securely cushioning the crates. For 7"s basically the same, but full bankers boxes (not the best but they take two rows) inside a larger box. Nothing was damaged at all, which is a little funny because lately I'm the least precious with my vinyl in general that I've ever been.

Good luck!

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 17, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

I've done this a few times and its not fun, especially if you're doing the lifting. The good part about doing the move yourself is that you can be careful with the boxes, although I've dropped a box on a corner and almost had a heart attack.

My last move I was not loving around. I had movers, so I packed milkcrates into larger boxes with a ton of extra cardboard securely cushioning the crates. For 7"s basically the same, but full bankers boxes (not the best but they take two rows) inside a larger one. Nothing was damaged at all, which is a little funny because lately I'm the least precious with my vinyl in general that I've ever been.

Good luck!

Those guys must have hated you.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

Those guys must have hated you.

Surprisingly no! (I think) They were very well equipped with dollys and for a bunch of artist/musician types they were gentle with my stuff. I tipped well, because I REALLY appreciated it.

Edit- thinking about this some more, when you consider how much time, money, and love of music/art/vinyl goes into a single box of records, it's crazy not to overpack when moving. Replacing records sucks, and something always goes wrong in a move. Don't let it be your records that take the fall, let your dishes smash first.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 17, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Mace Bacon posted:

Sup Brisbane Record Exchange buddy. I was in there just yesterday! Might have to check out the Lifeline thing too.
Details are on this page

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Here in Buffalo we have Record Theatre still. One location has dimp for used vinyl, but a good selection of mainstream new releases, though predominantly rock. Their flagship store has literally rooms filled with albums and singles - a blast to dig through but generally older stuff that's been picked over. I did grab the Justice - Waters of Nazareth single, as well as a bunch of mid 2000s hip hop, so some times you get lucky.

Most of the other shops are long gone but there are a couple on Elm wood I need to check out. Got that EDM craving.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Might have to get along to this.

Another Brisbane gem is Tym Records/Guitars in the Valley in Winn Lane (behind the Zoo); awesome selection of punk/rock stuff as well as a great deal of local stock.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Might have to get along to this.

Another Brisbane gem is Tym Records/Guitars in the Valley in Winn Lane (behind the Zoo); awesome selection of punk/rock stuff as well as a great deal of local stock.

I have been meaning to go here but it's just that little bit inconvenient to get to. Same with the record stores in West End, I might walk over to Egg Records or something after the Lifeline Book fair thing.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
The problem with the record exchange is all the good stuff is out the back & while it's possible to browse through it on request it's hard to get the guy to part with a lot of it. He wouldn't sell me The Fall's 'Fall in a hole' DLP claiming he would never see it again for example. The couple of records from out the back I managed to get were 40 bucks each (one goes for more one goes for less) but he claimed they were 'mint' and in reality they were pretty scratched and needed a good clean to track right. Bloke reminds me of Les Gold both in appearance & being a bit delusional/unrealistic. It's a pretty interesting shop though, I usually park at Roma st Parklands get a couple of hours parking for $5 or so & walk down.

Egg records had a cool selection haven't been there since they moved to West End though, used to visit rockaway when they were in Ashgrove, it was alright. I miss skinny's & when rocking horse used to be good. Gonna have to check out that place in the Val. I recently found a small record shop in Nundah as well, can't remember the name as there wasn't much of interest there but it's near the TAB IIRC.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah, like I said, they have awful customer service at the Record Exchange. The guy who owns it is friendly enough to talk to, but he gets caught in conversation while there are loads customers around. I asked them once if they had any King Crimson and it took them 5-10 minutes before they even went out back to have a look, another 5 minutes waiting, and then another 5 while the guy tried to figure out how much he should charge me ($80 for two records, way too much for the pressings & condition). I think Rockaway is my favourite, though it was much closer to me before it moved to Carindale.

edit: There wasn't much at the Lifeline Bookfest, this was the most interesting thing I found:

Looks like they're worth $20-30, I got it for $1 which is cool. It's still in the shrink wrap and looks pretty well unplayed.

I went to Egg Records afterwards (it owns, so much cheaper than all the other local stores I've been to), got Caspian's You Are The Conductor and this:

I've heard a lot about this album, but never heard it or seen a copy of it in real life. The artwork is gorgeous and I'm totally digging the music. Just a pity someone went and spilled coffee all over it :mad:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 19, 2013

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

david puddy posted:

I've heard a lot about this album, but never heard it or seen a copy of it in real life. The artwork is gorgeous and I'm totally digging the music. Just a pity someone went and spilled coffee all over it :mad:

That record is loving great, and that's coming from someone who's usually lukewarm on prog and related subgenres. "Winter Wine" alone is worth the price of admission.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

I just got back from the San Diego record show at the LGBT center and found some pretty cool stuff:

Black Flag - Jealous Again ($15)
X - Los Angles ($10)
The Subhumans - The Day The Country Died ($15)
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food ($5)
The Smiths - How Soon is Now? ($5)
Faith No More - The Real Thing ($5)
Born Against - Nine Patriotic Hymns For Children ($12)
Public Enemy - Hazy Shade of Criminal ($5)

I passed up an original artwork Appetite for Destruction cause it was too much ($50). I've been to most of the shops in Sand Diego (Record City, Taang!, Blue Moon) Any other good ones anyone knows of?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

A clear repressing of God Is An Astronaut's All Is Violent, All Is Bright (apparently limited to 500) is available on this website. The original pressings are kind of hard to find/pricey so if you're into them now would be a good time to buy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Read Menace posted:

I just got back from the San Diego record show at the LGBT center and found some pretty cool stuff:

Black Flag - Jealous Again ($15)
X - Los Angles ($10)
The Subhumans - The Day The Country Died ($15)
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food ($5)
The Smiths - How Soon is Now? ($5)
Faith No More - The Real Thing ($5)
Born Against - Nine Patriotic Hymns For Children ($12)
Public Enemy - Hazy Shade of Criminal ($5)

I passed up an original artwork Appetite for Destruction cause it was too much ($50). I've been to most of the shops in Sand Diego (Record City, Taang!, Blue Moon) Any other good ones anyone knows of?

Those are VERY good prices (except for Appetite probably). How do they sound? Your average record store in the Northeast will price absolutely anything by the Smiths or Talking Heads at $20 minimum, even if it's practically unlistenable or a relatively common single.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 20, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Those are VERY good prices (except for Appetite probably). How do they sound? Your average record store in the Northeast will price absolutely anything by the Smiths or Talking Heads at $20 minimum, even if it's practically unlistenable or a relatively common single.

Smiths yes, but I've never come across 20+ dollars for Talking Heads albums. Either weay those are great prices.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
God help me. :ohdear:

I'd like to pick up Goo but I'm having trouble finding the most reputable place for it. Is it normal for it to cost as much as it seems to? I am a serious newbie to collecting records. So far I have nothing really rare, I just like to listen.

Without getting into a dull list of what I've got so far, I love post-punk and bands like Swell Maps, Gang of Four, etc. I also picked up Interpol's 10th anniversary TOtBL, which looks gorgeous, btw...

e. The Read Menace, I am jealous as gently caress over your haul.

So my post isn't competely deer in the headlights newb questions, I want to post some pics of feelingpulledapartbyhorses/thehollowearth

The outer sleeve is a really nice cutout

Which reveals the inside sleeve

A real Unknown Pleasures vibe, imo.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 20, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

God help me. :ohdear:

I'd like to pick up Goo but I'm having trouble finding the most reputable place for it. Is it normal for it to cost as much as it seems to? I am a serious newbie to collecting records. So far I have nothing really rare, I just like to listen.

Without getting into a dull list of what I've got so far, I love post-punk and bands like Swell Maps, Gang of Four, etc. I also picked up Interpol's 10th anniversary TOtBL, which looks gorgeous, btw...

Old Sonic Youth LPs don't usually come cheap. Some of them have been reissued. There is a Goo reissue, but it appears that that one is out of print too, so it might run you a bit. I also don't know if it sounds any good.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Old Sonic Youth LPs don't usually come cheap. Some of them have been reissued. There is a Goo reissue, but it appears that that one is out of print too, so it might run you a bit. I also don't know if it sounds any good.

Thank you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The ORG reissues are really good by the way. Those were for the albums Confusion is Sex, Evol, Bad Moon Rising, and Sister.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I really lucked out with the $5 ones because it was just a bunch of crates with everything going for $5 each. The X album I really lucked out because the guy didn't have it labeled so he just said $10 on the spot (I think its probably worth 3x that much at least). I have only listened to the Faith No More and Born Against so far and after a once over with the carbon brush they sound just fine. I have a personal affinity for Appetite, so I was almost swayed.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I usually end up paying jacked-up record store prices (hello Taang!! records). I am going to make sure to go to every record fair after this. I just wish they had some newer stuff, which I know is unlikely because of the rarity of post-1989 vinyl.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The ORG reissues are really good by the way. Those were for the albums Confusion is Sex, Evol, Bad Moon Rising, and Sister.

Thanks, I'll look out for them.

The Read Menace posted:

I usually end up paying jacked-up record store prices (hello Taang!! records). I am going to make sure to go to every record fair after this. I just wish they had some newer stuff, which I know is unlikely because of the rarity of post-1989 vinyl.

This is why it rules being into punk and post-punk :3:

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Hey everyone! I have a download code for the Gutter Twins' Saturnalia record. Visit http://www.subpop.com/download_code and use the following code to snag it:

exmpuk5gqe9p

Enjoy!

anything576
Sep 26, 2010

mia2000 posted:

Hey everyone! I have a download code for the Gutter Twins' Saturnalia record. Visit http://www.subpop.com/download_code and use the following code to snag it:

exmpuk5gqe9p

Enjoy!

Thanks! I have no idea how I listened to Adorata, but never heard of this one.

EDIT

I may as well spread the love. Have a download code for the Death Grips follow up to Exmilitary, The Money Store

https://myplay.me/me9

Code: HJT88GC7XCZDPMH

anything576 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 21, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My dad keeps an eye on Craigslist, auctions, flea markets, etc in my hometown and forwarded me a CL ad this morning from an estate sale .. "rock, hip hop, country, jazz, swing"... 1200+ LPs.. $25.

Here we gooooo

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I've chased those kind of listings up before to find out its actually $25ea.

I hope it's actually over a thousand records for 25 bux though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They explicitly said it's less than a penny each or whatever. I'm expecting 90% literal garbage, but that's still 120 records for $25 :getin:

Edit: 1200 records is approximately 4 full 2x4 Expedits :catstare:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

mia2000 posted:

exmpuk5gqe9p

Enjoy!

I should have known this would get snapped up. This album is very good. It's dark dark dark, not in a "I murdered someone at a rest stop" way and more in a "life is a grim march of hopelessness and god is mad at me" sort of way. The first six tracks are standouts for me.

WrongWayKid
Sep 11, 2012
I collect punk/alternative/hip hop/rock vinyl. I guess my genres are varied, but I like a lot of like 90s music. Grunge, skate punk, ska etc. Anybody out there have stuff they sell, or know of a good person to talk to for that kind of stuff?

More specifically. Fat Wreck Chords released a box set recently of 18 of NoFX's 7"'s in two different sets. One was standard edition (all on gold vinyl lmtd/1800) and the other was the special edition (each on a different color, lmtd/1200)

http://www.fatwreck.com/record/detail/252SPECIAL

I'm looking to get my hands on an unopened colored edition. I know its a shot in the dark but I figured other vinyl collectors out there would understand what its like to be searching for something and give me a pass on my longwinded request. Any help or potential leads are appreciated. Thanks!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don't know if these are the right edition, but Gemm is always worth a try: http://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?field=ARTIST+OR+TITLE&wild=126+inches+of+nofx

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Does anyone know if the 4 Men with Beards reissue of Kinda Kinks is any good? I've read some mixed stuff about 4MWB.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I've got their issue of Singles Going Steady and I don't have any qualms about it.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

WrongWayKid posted:

I collect punk/alternative/hip hop/rock vinyl. I guess my genres are varied, but I like a lot of like 90s music. Grunge, skate punk, ska etc. Anybody out there have stuff they sell, or know of a good person to talk to for that kind of stuff?

More specifically. Fat Wreck Chords released a box set recently of 18 of NoFX's 7"'s in two different sets. One was standard edition (all on gold vinyl lmtd/1800) and the other was the special edition (each on a different color, lmtd/1200)

http://www.fatwreck.com/record/detail/252SPECIAL

I'm looking to get my hands on an unopened colored edition. I know its a shot in the dark but I figured other vinyl collectors out there would understand what its like to be searching for something and give me a pass on my longwinded request. Any help or potential leads are appreciated. Thanks!

90s stuff is the hardest to find on vinyl. The 90s were the "dark ages". Vinyl editions still came out for records, but not too many people bought it so there aren't a lot of copies floating around these days. In the mid 2000s people starting to buy it a lot more but its still nowhere near the pre-90s level. That being said you can always check out Discogs and see if anyone's selling. If this is the NOFX box set you're talking about, there are some people selling it for a pretty penny. Failing that you can always check Ebay from time to time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know a US based website that sells the Deep Red (aka Profondo Rosso) soundtrack?