Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

budreck posted:

Let's say Hulk Hogan decided not to leave the AWA and then had a career ending injury, would the Rock N Wrestling boom of the 80s happened? Who would have been the guy Vince got behind?

I think you will find that Superstar Billy Graham would have ruled the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Girlfriend has just sprung that she would love to go to Wrestlemania this year. We are in the UK. Anyone got any major dos/don'ts? I know the tickets will have to come through a reseller rather than a package, but am not sure what else I need to take into consideration.

- Metlife parking is awful. I went to a Jets game and they wanted like $60 just to park my car. Ended up parking at some paintball place nearby that has a shuttle to the arena.

- Try and figure out where the talent is staying/hanging out and go there. I know a guy who did this last year in Miami and now has stories about waking up and seeing Alex Riley passed out, Michael McGillicutty getting mad at him for not recognizing Michael McGillicutty, and casually having a beer with Jim Ross. Also don't hero worship because you aren't an 8-year-old boy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

Do you think somebody like Savage being the main guy would have lead to earlier pushes for the likes of Bret Hart and (later) Shawn Michaels? Or was Vince's obsession with bodybuilders always going to see the massive, over-muscled types override all?

Well, Savage had a loving amazing physique before he got off the gas. Look at him in the 80s. Dude was jacked. He was also 6'2". I don't think it would have mattered. If anything, Vince would have relied on heel champions a little more.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

Let's say Hulk Hogan decided not to leave the AWA and then had a career ending injury, would the Rock N Wrestling boom of the 80s happened? Who would have been the guy Vince got behind?

Probably Snuka, maybe Piper. No clue if it would have led to the WWF being as big, but wrestling was booming in that decade regardless.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

We would have had Piper and Perfect title runs, and that would have owned bones. :colbert:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WCW would still be alive.

Probably in the sense that the NWA is. :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

We would have had Piper and Perfect title runs, and that would have owned bones. :colbert:

I don't know about Perfect (I thought he wasn't ready in his run against Hogan) but Piper and Dibiase definitely.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Girlfriend has just sprung that she would love to go to Wrestlemania this year. We are in the UK. Anyone got any major dos/don'ts? I know the tickets will have to come through a reseller rather than a package, but am not sure what else I need to take into consideration.

Get a lighter for Undertakers entrance.

It just hit me that I'm going to feel real bad about never seeing him live. All the shows I've been to and seen every big name but somehow never my favorite. Now it's virtually impossible and each WM could be his last.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

WCW would still be alive.

Probably in the sense that the NWA is. :smith:

Uh... how? WCW would either never exist (since JCP would likely not have to be sold if history changes significantly) and if he did still have to sell to Turner, WCW would never be a network of regional promotions like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Well, Savage had a loving amazing physique before he got off the gas. Look at him in the 80s. Dude was jacked. He was also 6'2". I don't think it would have mattered. If anything, Vince would have relied on heel champions a little more.

Most of my memories of Savage were as a "smaller" guy during the 80s, probably because he was frequently on screen with the likes of Hogan, Bossman, Earthquake etc - so I was really shocked at how huge he was when I first saw him in WCW.

It's always kind of a mindfuck to remember that a lot of the "smaller" wrestlers are great big huge dudes in real life. CM Punk is 6'2" as well, so is the Miz, hell Dolph Ziggler is 6'.

Supreme Allah posted:

It just hit me that I'm going to feel real bad about never seeing him live. All the shows I've been to and seen every big name but somehow never my favorite. Now it's virtually impossible and each WM could be his last.

I'm so glad I got to see him perform live, it was pretty loving amazing and it was "only" a house show, dude has an amazing presence to him and I'm also pretty sure I saw him perform honest to God magic at one point when he teleported a bottle of water into his hand while standing at ringside. Ironically that was a few years ago and at the time I - like you - was absolutely convinced I'd missed my shot because his career was SURELY only a year or so away from ending.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 16, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

Most of my memories of Savage were as a "smaller" guy during the 80s, probably because he was frequently on screen with the likes of Hogan, Bossman, Earthquake etc - so I was really shocked at how huge he was when I first saw him in WCW.

It's always kind of a mindfuck to remember that a lot of the "smaller" wrestlers are great big huge dudes in real life. CM Punk is 6'2" as well, so is the Miz, hell Dolph Ziggler is 6'.

Don't know if I buy Punk at 6'2". He always looked two inches shorter than Jeff Hardy and Hardy was billed as the same height.

Cena is billed at 6'1" and unless I'm wrong, he always looks taller than Punk, not shorter.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so glad I got to see him perform live, it was pretty loving amazing and it was "only" a house show, dude has an amazing presence to him and I'm also pretty sure I saw him perform honest to God magic at one point when he teleported a bottle of water into his hand while standing at ringside. Ironically that was a few years ago and at the time I - like you - was absolutely convinced I'd missed my shot because his career was SURELY only a year or so away from ending.
I feel the same way; he came out for a surprise dark match at a Smackdown taping a few years back and even from the nosebleeds it was the most awe-inspiring thing I've ever been a part of.

That was the first time I didn't buy floor seats (won 2 upper deck tickets off the radio & couldn't bring myself to spend the extra hundred to replace them with better seats), and considering I would've been in the smoke cloud instead of looking at it from several feet up several feet away had I done so, the last time.

Seriously buy the best seats you can comfortably afford whenever you go to wrestling events, there's really nothing like being that close to the ring.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Don't know if I buy Punk at 6'2". He always looked two inches shorter than Jeff Hardy and Hardy was billed as the same height.

Cena is billed at 6'1" and unless I'm wrong, he always looks taller than Punk, not shorter.

Punk's posture also looks worse than Hardy's, but yeah I'm sure they added an inch or two to his height and he's probably more realistically around 6'.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Fortunately, they hardly ever bill the wrestler's height anymore, because dear God that's disingenuous.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It seems that the bigger the wrestler, the more exaggeration there is, you get 6'6" guys billed as "nearly seven foot", The Giant being billed as 7'5" in WCW (which must make Reese 7'8") and Vince McMahon telling everyone that Giant Gonzales was 8' tall.

On the subject of tall guys, I was surprised to find out that there was a wrestler even taller than Gonzales; Max Palmer, who wrestled in the 50s under the name 'Paul Bunyan'. He was a former actor who was billed as being 8'2", but was actually around 7'7".
http://www.thetallestman.com/maxpalmer.htm

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It was less ridiculous back in the pre-MMA era and people were less experienced with seeing sumos tapping to toothpicks, and fighters weighed down to the fraction of a pound.

Now it's just a personal relic of Vince McMahon.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
This has been bugging me for years now but what exactly were they implying on the DX Nation parody when Triple H/Crock asked X-Pac/Mizark Henry "how do you get your pecs to wrap all the way around your back like that?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mark Henry has backboobs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
BROTHA'S GOT PECS! BROTHA'S GOT PECS!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Disharmony posted:

This has been bugging me for years now but what exactly were they implying on the DX Nation parody when Triple H/Crock asked X-Pac/Mizark Henry "how do you get your pecs to wrap all the way around your back like that?"

He fat.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
How many wrestlers have been fired by their employer immediately after main eventing a show? The two that come to mind for me are Mr. Kennedy (main evented RAW) and the Ultimate Warrior (main evented Summerslam 1991). It's really striking when a guy goes from being in the last match to the unemployment line that fast, it usually requires a huge gently caress-up on their part. I'm curious how many any other wrestlers have met this fate.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Anyone have details about a backstage fight between Big Show and Khali, supposedly happened a few years ago?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Supreme Allah posted:

Anyone have details about a backstage fight between Big Show and Khali, supposedly happened a few years ago?

Wrestlezone but

quote:

We reported earlier that during a WWE house show in Puerto Rico this past weekend, The Great Khali and Big Show were involved in a backstage fight.

PWInsider.com has revealed more details behind the fight, which apparently began when Big Show instigated The Great Khali. Show had been upset with Khali for a few weeks because he felt that Khali used to many moves in the ring that should be made available only to Big Show as he is a "giant."

According to a backstage source present at the house show, Khali and Big Show were verbally arguing for several minutes before Big Show decided to throw the first punch, however he tripped over someone's bag and fell to the ground. Khali jumped on Show and the two began fighting on the ground, with Khali apparently in clear control before the fight was broken up.

No word yet on whether or not the two wrestlers will face disciplinary action.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
I actually can't imagine how maddening it must be to see Great Khali getting a better push than you, ever.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
I'm sorry but the image of the Big Show tripping over someones bag is just hilarious to me.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

Kukash posted:

I'm sorry but the image of the Big Show tripping over someones bag is just hilarious to me.

I hope Randy Orton hadn't gotten to that bag first! :ohdear:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

We reported earlier that during a WWE house show in Puerto Rico this past weekend, The Great Khali and Big Show were involved in a backstage fight.

PWInsider.com has revealed more details behind the fight, which apparently began when Big Show instigated The Great Khali. Show had been upset with Khali for a few weeks because he felt that Khali used to many moves in the ring that should be made available only to Big Show as he is a "giant."

According to a backstage source present at the house show, Khali and Big Show were verbally arguing for several minutes before Big Show decided to throw the first punch, however he tripped over someone's bag and fell to the ground. Khali jumped on Show and the two began fighting on the ground, with Khali apparently in clear control before the fight was broken up.

No word yet on whether or not the two wrestlers will face disciplinary action.
Pretty assholish to hate on Khali for actually learning a move.

I can't imagine Khali winning a fight with Big Show. Khali looks...fragile, frankly. Maybe it was different then.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Khali just seems sort of sad, why would anyone pick a fight with him? And why would it be Big Show, who I've never heard that much bad stuff about? WWE is so weird.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I don't believe that happened. Khali, bending his knees and waist? Preposterous.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I posted:

On the subject of tall guys, I was surprised to find out that there was a wrestler even taller than Gonzales; Max Palmer, who wrestled in the 50s under the name 'Paul Bunyan'. He was a former actor who was billed as being 8'2", but was actually around 7'7".
http://www.thetallestman.com/maxpalmer.htm

Well, according to that website, Gonzalez was taller by 1/4". But he was measured that way by Guinness, while no one really knows how tall Palmer actually was.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Big Show and Khali both tripped over that bag and someone made up the story to go with it.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
I can't believe they resisted the urge to recreate that fight in a backstage segment for the Show/Khali feud. Just let them shoot for a minute or two.

But question, who owns "The Rock" gimmick? Dwayne or Vince? I was thinking that Rock might, but it was an original WWE gimmick which tends to be the deciding factor? Along those lines, does CM Punk own his gimmick? I thought I heard he had to sell it to WWE to keep it for the main roster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gar posted:

I can't believe they resisted the urge to recreate that fight in a backstage segment for the Show/Khali feud. Just let them shoot for a minute or two.

But question, who owns "The Rock" gimmick? Dwayne or Vince? I was thinking that Rock might, but it was an original WWE gimmick which tends to be the deciding factor? Along those lines, does CM Punk own his gimmick? I thought I heard he had to sell it to WWE to keep it for the main roster.

Punk owns his name, I think. He had it before so if he sold it he's an idiot.

If I remember correctly Rock made some kind of deal with WWE that gave him the name but got WWE production credits on his films or something like that.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Gonz posted:

I don't believe that happened. Khali, bending his knees and waist? Preposterous.

Plus Khali doing too many moves in a match? This whole story is full of holes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How did they argue for a few minutes when Khali speaks almost zero English?

Because Show knows Punjabi.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

STAC Goat posted:

If I remember correctly Rock made some kind of deal with WWE that gave him the name but got WWE production credits on his films or something like that.

It was something like that, "The Rock" is a WWE trademark and for him to use it in his movies Vince McMahon had to be credited as an executive producer (that was the agreement, I remember Vince got credit in The Scorpion King despite having nothing to do with the movie). As The Rock's movie career became more and more a sure thing and his wrestling days more and more distant in the rearview mirror (his contract expired in 2004) he began to transition to his real name which he now uses. It really irked wrestling fans when he started to be "Dwayne Johnson" but that was just the reality of Hollywood when The Rock decided he was done with wrestling (aside from the brief period every year where he gets to use his wrestling name just in WWE).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

(his contract expired in 2004)
Because the office screwed up the dates and forgot to use their option for another year.

It's not super relevant, but it's always funny to bring up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

He's indy trash who always needs to get his spots in.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He's indy trash who always needs to get his spots in.

*chop*
*headbutt*
*chokeslam*
*growl incoherently*

18 second match, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Bocc Kob posted:

Dalip Singh Rana the real person has an extensive history in athletics including Power lifting, Akido, judo, Greco-Roman wrestling, kalari, and Japanese grappling.

Great Khali the scripted WWE fighter is awkwardly hammered into the system because the bookers don’t really know what to do with him but like the novelty of his presence.