Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

These are actually the correct pronunciations. Pinyin (and Wade-Giles) are only approximations of how Chinese words/names would be spelled if they were in English. There are many sounds that just don't exist in both languages. For years we had COW COW, much to the chagrin of any Chinese person who happened to hear it. The finally fixed Cao Cao for DW 6 but missed a ton of other, less offensive names (like Sun Ce and Sun Quan). Finally for 7 we got all the names in the correct(ish) pronunciations and even the women with their names spelled correctly (Yueying instead of Yue Ying).
This is probably an odd one for Westerners, but at least three of the female characters -- Zhenji, Daqiao and Xiaoqiao -- outright do not have given names ("Lady Zhen, Elder Qiao and Younger Qiao respectively), while Yueying's isn't mentioned in the game (in folklore it's Huang, I believe, as the daughter of the same Huang Chengyan who in the novel guides Lu Xun out of the Stone Sentinel Maze) and Sun Shangxiang comes from folklore, being just Lady Sun in the novel while the 2010 live-action series outright has her referred as "little sister Sun" and "wife Sun".

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you live in France or Italy then you can get yourself a Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 collector's edition, which appears to be the Japanese treasure box. I guess Europeans actually buy anime games?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
IIRC it was shown in both of those countries back in the day and is thus pretty popular since a lot of kids grew up with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So this is probably a dumb question, but are there any sorts of these games for modern PCs? I've been reminiscing about the Southern Gate level from the Return of the King game lately (warning: turn off the sound) and I feel like playing something of that sort again.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Dynasty Warriors 6 came out for PC in English. 7 is out on PC as well, I believe, but I don't think it's been released in English. So... Yes. 6 would be your best bet, but you can also get Samurai Warriors 2 (only released in Europe, as far as I can tell) and Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper, but those are PS2 era, while DW6 is 360/PS3.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Warriors Orochi 1 also came out in English on the PC. There is also an abandoned translation fanpatch for Warriors Orochi Z (WO1+2), iirc it translated the UI and the Shu campaign of WO2.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
DW7 for PC is JP-only it seems but it came with the Xtreme Legends content included as "Dynasty Warriors 7 with Xtreme Legends", and here's a look, and apparently there's an English patch!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

DW7 for PC is JP-only it seems but it came with the Xtreme Legends content included as "Dynasty Warriors 7 with Xtreme Legends", and here's a look, and apparently there's an English patch!

That's some weird cathedral reverb on all the voices and a strange 2d overlay glitch on the map.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, so you might not be aware of this but yesterday Bandai Namco put up a brand new teaser website for a game. Nice motorcycle right? Well, it turns out that these motorcycles that have been appearing on the site come from somewhere. Where, you ask? Kamen Rider.

Now, you might be asking "what does this have to do with this thread?".

EDIT: It's apparently confirmed to be Kamen Rider Musou

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 16, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I...

Wait, not words can properly express how I feel about this. Despite the fact it will absolutely never be localized, it is an amazing thing.

All I can say is HELL YES TIME TO RIDER KICK SOME FOOLS AND HOPE V3 IS IN THE GAME SO ENEMIES CAN GO ONORE, V3!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, yet another Musou game based on a property I know next to nothing about.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^
Dudes wearing shouty belts kicking the poo poo out of other dudes. Also, dirtbikes.

All this does is remind me that I need to get back on watching Kamen Rider W.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's starting to get out of hand. I used to look at these new musou games as an excuse to finally get into these anime franchises I never read/watched and did so gladly for stuff like Hokuto no Ken, One Piece, and Saint Seiya, but I think I'm done. I just can't keep up with these constant anime musou games and the embedded fan requirement to play them. I'll probably import this thing, because I'm a dumb idiot who loves Musou games, but I probably won't know anything about anyone in it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's hoping that this ends up being an available DLC option for the DW7E English release.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
How could you post that and not the best accessory?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know a decent amount about it and I'm not that excited. I feel like they would be better off doing a Super Sentai game and I would certainly have preferred it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, even I know nothing about Kamen Rider. :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First shots of Kamen Rider Musou

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hopefully they actually have the Showa Riders in there since I'm really not into Heisei (I don't really see why they wouldn't though). I just wanna chop dudes in half as Amazon.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Where's my Berserk Musou? :colbert:

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Awesome Welles posted:

Yes, this. :devil: This would be pretty freakin' amazing.

Ken's Rage 2 is a day-one purchase for me; it's one of the(very) few anime/manga series I follow(Berserk being another), and it probably is one of my big inspirations-I had seen the 1986 movie when I was 12 and it helped sorta form my tastes of stuff to play and write. The first game had something fun going but you can tell they were finding their footing with it; the sequel by the look took everything, took out the bad, added more awesome, and took off with it. I can't wait to play the gang-particularly Shu and Raoh, though they made Hyo and Kaioh look fantastic. (The models are just great in this.)

Wondering if it's going to see more hours put in than Warriors Orochi 3(I did play the hell out of that.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First trailer for Kamen Rider: Battride War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sMssgAQIs

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Saw this over at /m/ so... yeah nevermind on this game.

quote:

Kamen Rider Battle Ride War
PS3 game due Summer 2013
Rider version of Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle
Focused on Heisei first stage Riders (Kuuga ~ Decade)
Second stage Riders (W ~ Wizard) and Showa Riders (1 ~ RX) will be DLC.

Showa as DLC. Wonderful.

Edit: Actually Wizard's already in the game and no way would they make him DLC so it's probably someone on /m/ copying some 2ch rumormongering.

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 17, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Awesome Welles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcj0oXylYbA&t=80s

edit: wow, way to not actually fight any of the enemies, boring-rear end youtube walkthrough guy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Suben posted:

Rider version of Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle

:stare: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh wow.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

In happy news for cool bros who are waiting for Dynasty Warriors 8, check out the 3 new cast additions: Yue Ying, Xu Shu, and Wei Yan.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
And Musou/Kakusei Rabu videos... so, so much combo-ending knockback :gonk:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like Wei Yan's helmets have been getting progressively worse.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Jibo posted:

You may have forgotten his very first helmet which looked a whole heck of a lot like a luchador mask.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

In happy news for cool bros who are waiting for Dynasty Warriors 8, check out the 3 new cast additions: Yue Ying, Xu Shu, and Wei Yan.

Xu Shu there looks like Ma Dai with a haircut, better posture, and wardrobe consultation.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

5er posted:

Xu Shu there looks like Ma Dai with a haircut, better posture, and wardrobe consultation.

That's funny cause I think Li Dian also looks a lot like Ma Dai. Maybe slightly awkward guys with tiny goatees is a hit thing in Japan.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

You may have forgotten his very first helmet which looked a whole heck of a lot like a luchador mask.

His costume from the "Original" costume pack is straight up a luchador costume and it is awesome. Dressed as a luchador and smacking people with some kayak oars.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcj0oXylYbA&t=80s

edit: wow, way to not actually fight any of the enemies, boring-rear end youtube walkthrough guy.

Yeah the PS2 game is entertaining as hell (but pretty flawed), and I think it would be interesting to see something based on the Golden Age. Killing hundreds of enemies as Griffith (or even dudes like Pippin) could be pretty awesome in a Musou-style.

Playable Adon Coborlwitz with all his ridiculous maneuvers and special moves? :getin:

(add in ragdolls for limbs and body parts to toss around for good measure too)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So here's some new screenshots for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 and the scan announcing Bartholomew Kuma as a playable character. I think I can get more excited for this game as I just finished Skypiea and holy poo poo that was cool all around.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jibo posted:

Speaking of Wei Yan, is there a reason he talks like a caveman?

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
No clue, guessing they wanted something really different when they added him. Historically/Novel, there's nothing to suggest that he was all that stupid or primal. If anything a sort of arrogant type with personal ambition would probably fly better. Basically, Zhong Hui's characterization is probably more fitting.

I do find humor in that Koei's characterization is now depicting interpersonal relationship, with Wei Yan popping up with Meng Huo and company despite no real historical connection.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

No clue, guessing they wanted something really different when they added him. Historically/Novel, there's nothing to suggest that he was all that stupid or primal. If anything a sort of arrogant type with personal ambition would probably fly better. Basically, Zhong Hui's characterization is probably more fitting.
It's more that Wei Yan's loyalty is to Liu Bei himself rather than Shu as embodied by Zhuge Liang -- which is what makes him the "bad guy".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

U.T. Raptor posted:

Speaking of Wei Yan, is there a reason he talks like a caveman?

In fiction Wei Yan was said to have a treasonous bone in his head, which is a strange way of saying he was treasonous at heart. Fiction writers have taken this to sometimes show Wei Yan having horns or other strange bone protrusions as a sign of his future rebellion. Taking that further you could say someone with a sever birth defect like that might be mentally challenged as well? Just pulling at strings here.

Dian Wei is bald just to be different from the other characters. They do lots of stuff just to bring some clarity to each member of the cast.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

Dian Wei is bald just to be different from the other characters. They do lots of stuff just to bring some clarity to each member of the cast.
Which is pretty important considering how often "warrior who would end the chaos and bring peace to the land" is the by-far most dominant personality trait... if not some characters' de facto ONLY personality trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chortles posted:

Which is pretty important considering how often "warrior who would end the chaos and bring peace to the land" is the by-far most dominant personality trait... if not some characters' de facto ONLY personality trait.

I've always been partial to Zhang Liao's "HONOR! FIGHTING! LET'S FIGHTING HONOR FIGHT! *serious grimaces everywhere*" thing. An amusing juxtaposition of propriety, restraint, and pure assbeating bloodlust.