Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Devor posted:

So I made it over to Test with my Level 69 SK/Bard/Shm trio, popped over to The Hole to see what the xp was like with the test bonus. There was a high 60s necro soloing stuff in the passageway leading up towards the temple, and we hopped back and forth over each other a few times. And then I'm pretty sure he trained the poo poo out of me while I was killing the 5 mobs in the courtyard of the temple.

Is that like, a normal thing? How does claming an area etiquette work? I figured it was just "don't kill npcs that someone else has already engaged."
"Camps" are still a thing, both in old and new zones, and I personally respect camps if it's either obvious what people are camping or if they announce it. It's fair enough if you don't know what constitutes a camp in a certain zone, but try doing a "/ooc camp check" or ask a person in /tell what he's camping. For The Hole, the whole tunnel is one camp, and the temple plus courtyards and basement is another camp. I doubt one necro solo could keep both the entire temple and the tunnel cleared, so it sounds like he was just going all over the place... fair enough that you started to engage mobs in the temple courtyard, IMO.

I have myself never experienced malicious training in the past 3-4 years I've played modern EQ, so maybe he misunderstood you or he was trying to pull a bunch himself. Can't say for sure though. Just ask people and they will most likely reply what they're camping.

I ignore AFK mercers though, not that I hate them or train them, but I gladly steal their mobs if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pilsner posted:

"Camps" are still a thing, both in old and new zones, and I personally respect camps if it's either obvious what people are camping or if they announce it. It's fair enough if you don't know what constitutes a camp in a certain zone, but try doing a "/ooc camp check" or ask a person in /tell what he's camping. For The Hole, the whole tunnel is one camp, and the temple plus courtyards and basement is another camp. I doubt one necro solo could keep both the entire temple and the tunnel cleared, so it sounds like he was just going all over the place... fair enough that you started to engage mobs in the temple courtyard, IMO.

I have myself never experienced malicious training in the past 3-4 years I've played modern EQ, so maybe he misunderstood you or he was trying to pull a bunch himself. Can't say for sure though. Just ask people and they will most likely reply what they're camping.

I ignore AFK mercers though, not that I hate them or train them, but I gladly steal their mobs if I can.

Fair enough, maybe it was just a wanderer that I hadn't encountered before that chained aggro weirdly. What's the Basement? Just the area between the courtyard and the upper portion of the temple? Or did I miss some hidden doorway?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

JustJeff88 posted:

I genuinely apologise for having said anything, both for being "out of touch" and for having giving everyone the hump. Had I known that this was going to happen, I would have just made a dick joke and called it a post.

Integ and I copied to Test tonight just for giggles, and even though it was sooooooo much quieter in the guild lobby, I went to Plane of Fire and it was still overcamped. I couldn't help but laugh; I jump to a server with a fraction of the population of my old one, and I still can't get the camps I want. loving hilarious. Then I went to Paw, killed the first trash mob I saw, and got half of an AA point (no lesson). That was genuinely awesome.

I think support classes are just not good at lower levels. There is absolutely nothing special about my shaman. All I ever use him for is casting celerity (although I usually prefer the enchanter haste from the guild lobby) and casting puma. Otherwise he just sits there.

I'm actually considering a 3 box of sk/nec/mage just for all the dps and secondary healing from RB. Leave the support to my cleric merc. I would miss the haste though when it wears off.

So I'm closing in on level 80... have completed my 1.5 and working on my 2.0. I know everyone always says to stay at 80 for awhile with your sk to get around 2k or so AA, but the problem is PoF is always camped and Paw doesn't have nearly enough mobs. Where else could I AA at? I actually have close to 1100 AA already because you don't actually need an epic to swarm Paw even pre-HOT gear

Vomik fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 17, 2013

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Alright you guys on Test, I have to ask, because every time I read this thread, I want to play again, but I can't tolerate the idea of playing without MQ removing the tedium of certain things.

I always remember the dudes at MQ saying they wouldn't support MQ on test, because of how often patches / changes come out there. Does anyone actually use it on test, and do you just update the offsets yourself, or did they substantially reduce the number of patches they do? How often does MQ break?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pilsner posted:

:negative:

I tried my best. I spent 5 hours last night trying to progress through the questline for Valthun's Memory Shard, and got stuck on the ultra-rare drop part. Jesus christ that quest was torture. Objectives resettings when getting spotted by phantom guards, the ship sailor wave event taking 30 minutes per player, ultra-rare drops all over... :argh:

Tonight I'll just do what Kodaji recommended and get the Wanderlust charm aug instead.

Do you think they'll bring back the Dragons, Dragons, Dragons this anniversary? It rewards a kickass charm aug.

There's a super easy way to do that guard part... You kill all the guards first, then run around and finish the objectives before they respawn.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I don't use MQ on Test just because I'm too lazy to find the offsets myself. Kinda sucks but oh well :(

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vomik posted:

I think support classes are just not good at lower levels. There is absolutely nothing special about my shaman. All I ever use him for is casting celerity (although I usually prefer the enchanter haste from the guild lobby) and casting puma. Otherwise he just sits there.

I'm actually considering a 3 box of sk/nec/mage just for all the dps and secondary healing from RB. Leave the support to my cleric merc. I would miss the haste though when it wears off.

So I'm closing in on level 80... have completed my 1.5 and working on my 2.0. I know everyone always says to stay at 80 for awhile with your sk to get around 2k or so AA, but the problem is PoF is always camped and Paw doesn't have nearly enough mobs. Where else could I AA at? I actually have close to 1100 AA already because you don't actually need an epic to swarm Paw even pre-HOT gear

Up to you, I suppose, but having a secondary healer seems like a really good idea. That said, I have heard a lot about necro healing abilities and keep in mind that the SK epic click is a group buff, not just the SK himself. Entirely your choice, but I really like the idea of having a cleric merc as a dedicated healbot and a druid or shaman as that secondary healer and support class (plus druids can nuke fairly well, just nothing compared to a wizard). Nobody can haste better than a bard, and even though slow isn't as powerful as it used to be, my bard can Malo/Slow reasonably well.

I am really debating now, once I move to Test for good, whether to start new toons (so many classes that I have never tried) or start boxing up the 4 that I have into new content... druid + sk + bard + wizard + cleric merc + rogue merc = a very well-rounded group, especially if I can do the quests and unlock better than J1 mercs. I just cannot make up my mind.

I know very little about about necros, to be honest, but I know that you have the necro on the same account as your SK that you love (kudos again on the 1.5) and, since you mentioned it, I think that you should pay the cash to move your necro to a new account. I even have some bits from Sky of the necro 1.0 that I would be glad to give to you, and if we are on Test I am sure that someone out there has or can copy over the Slime Blood as well (it is tradable). Keep in mind that, these days, any of my lads plus you plus integ and 3 mercs could annihilate anything in Sky with one group. I still want to do a full clear of Sky with some goons, just so that we can feel ubertastic (my God that zone was a bitch before PoP), but why not get some epic bits while we are there?

Edit: I hope that sometime this weekend we can get another Anguish run together. You can have the first Globe, of course, but I would really like it if we could do Harrier/Jelvan and Hanvar/Ture and get one for both you and Biz. I think that doing the druid and wizard 2.0 quest lines would be a fun diversion in February when my play time gets abridged so much.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 17, 2013

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

cycomatix posted:

Yep I got it, gave some to Funzoe and Yomofo, but I had to jet for work. I got some for Shizzx and Hyeater I think is who you told me to give them too Jetzor, I'll try to hit you guys up tomorrow or the next day.

I'm Hyeater on Test. I should be around late tonight if you want to trade then.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Just so you guys know, RB got nerfed a while back and now only procs off of the necro and not the whole group :( It's still good, but not the OP healer-level healing it was for a while.

That said, having a secondary oh-poo poo healer isn't really necessary since you can just pop a 2nd cleric merc on nameds or harder fights. SK/Nec/Mage is totally workable if that's what you want to run :)

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
That's fine Picnic Lunch, around what time/timezone will you be on?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Devor posted:

Fair enough, maybe it was just a wanderer that I hadn't encountered before that chained aggro weirdly. What's the Basement? Just the area between the courtyard and the upper portion of the temple? Or did I miss some hidden doorway?
If you walk to the left courtyard and to the back, there's a door that leads down to a little basement right beneath the temple, with a few skeletons. Also, don't forget to loo up on the roof of the temple, from the courtyard - there are a couple of gargoyles up there you can pull.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Just so you guys know, RB got nerfed a while back and now only procs off of the necro and not the whole group :( It's still good, but not the OP healer-level healing it was for a while.

That said, having a secondary oh-poo poo healer isn't really necessary since you can just pop a 2nd cleric merc on nameds or harder fights. SK/Nec/Mage is totally workable if that's what you want to run :)

drat that's a shame. I might stick with my shaman so a SHM/NEC/SK group. I do like the radiant cure AA a lot. And with pet affinity the talisman of the panther should be a good DPS addition (albeit not nearly as much as a mage)

JustJeff88 posted:

I even have some bits from Sky of the necro 1.0 that I would be glad to give to you, and if we are on Test I am sure that someone out there has or can copy over the Slime Blood as well (it is tradable). Keep in mind that, these days, any of my lads plus you plus integ and 3 mercs could annihilate anything in Sky with one group. I still want to do a full clear of Sky with some goons, just so that we can feel ubertastic (my God that zone was a bitch before PoP), but why not get some epic bits while we are there?

Which epic piece from sky do you have? Do you have the cloak? I assume that can be MQ'd?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vomik posted:

Which epic piece from sky do you have? Do you have the cloak? I assume that can be MQ'd?

I do not have the whole cloak, just bits of it. I am 88% sure that I have the Spiroc Feathers for the cloak quest and I believe that I have the Silver Disk as well. The Flowing Black Cape only drops off of the Keeper of Souls on Island 4, but if you want to just do a quick 1-group Sky run, say Lasombr, Integ, & any one of my dudes, we can be up to island 4 within just a few minutes (you can just buy the key to island 2 - no need even to kill the fairies on island 1).

I will look in more detail when I get home in a few hours.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

cycomatix posted:

That's fine Picnic Lunch, around what time/timezone will you be on?

I'm getting on right now and should be on for a while, but if that doesn't work for ya I will be on around 8pm EST.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
Ok, I give. Copied my 78 monk to test. Tired of roaming Drinal on my own. :suicide:

In all honesty been trying to do this for the few days but kept getting errors. Hopefully I didn't miss all the fun. :ohdear:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I do not have the whole cloak, just bits of it. I am 88% sure that I have the Spiroc Feathers for the cloak quest and I believe that I have the Silver Disk as well. The Flowing Black Cape only drops off of the Keeper of Souls on Island 4, but if you want to just do a quick 1-group Sky run, say Lasombr, Integ, & any one of my dudes, we can be up to island 4 within just a few minutes (you can just buy the key to island 2 - no need even to kill the fairies on island 1).

I will look in more detail when I get home in a few hours.

I have the keys in my bank (unless I deleted them) to get up that high but I think that it's a matter of finding him up. The necromancer epic kind of sucks with 3 pieces coming from ever camped mobs.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Picnic Lunch posted:

I'm getting on right now and should be on for a while, but if that doesn't work for ya I will be on around 8pm EST.

I'm at work for the next few hours, but I'll jump on as soon as I can then for ya.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Here's an odd request. Anyone have a Mysterious Belt of Daggers on test that they could give me or on live that they could copy over to test for me? I saw one on sale on the Luclin bazaar for 75k pp, but I don't have that much on my guys on Luclin. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd ask because I'd like to dick around with assassinating with throwing on my rogue.

Oh and thanks for all the stuff jetz0r - now we're rollin' in plat and items here on test!

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
Anyone on test have dream motes or HoT T1 visible armor/weapons available? I can pay with (meaningless) platinum of course. My shaman and mage are approaching 80 in the next couple days. I was expecting to see more stuff in the bazaar now that /testcopy is working again!

Shaman is named Grammu, who I pay the most attention to.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Shizzx, let me know next time you'll be on and I'll meet up with ya to give ya Jetzor's plat.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

cycomatix posted:

Shizzx, let me know next time you'll be on and I'll meet up with ya to give ya Jetzor's plat.

I'll be on tonight. Around 11PM EST. Thanks :)

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Wask posted:

Anyone on test have dream motes or HoT T1 visible armor/weapons available? I can pay with (meaningless) platinum of course. My shaman and mage are approaching 80 in the next couple days. I was expecting to see more stuff in the bazaar now that /testcopy is working again!

Send Thalyn a /tell next time you see me on. I have thousands of them I can give you.

Edit: And a huge thanks to jetz0r for the stuff.

Escape_GOAT fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 18, 2013

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
Possible silly question. Is there a difference between mercenary when choosing race? Is there a reason why I would not want a brownie melee dps?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Wask posted:

I'll make you sets for both next time I testcopy.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

2X2 Eyes posted:

Possible silly question. Is there a difference between mercenary when choosing race? Is there a reason why I would not want a brownie melee dps?

you may not have noticed that froglocks do a flip when they cast

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

2X2 Eyes posted:

You don't want a brownie because they are stupid looking and clearly a dark elf is going to be way cooler looking.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider
Thanks jetz0r for all the plat. This is far more than I have ever had.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
So is there a guild or something on test to join? Any help would be cool. Only character on test is Kutz. Never got around to boxing other characters up to his level but may just start a new group on test due to the bonus xp.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

2X2 Eyes posted:

So is there a guild or something on test to join? Any help would be cool. Only character on test is Kutz. Never got around to boxing other characters up to his level but may just start a new group on test due to the bonus xp.

There is one that was just created. <Mistakes Were Made>, Look for anyone tagged, they're all officers atm.

Biskies
Jan 24, 2004

Instead of wanting to be an astronaut when I grew up, I wanted to play with guns.

2X2 Eyes posted:

<The Roost Gave Me Harpies> would be happy to help you. Feel free to send me (Eruliaf) or anyone else on in guild a tell when you log in and we can shoot you an invite if you'd like.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!
I logged in and had a bunch of stuff in parcel and got the plat. Thank you so much. Just curious, am I meant to sell all of these gold bars?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

funzo2226 posted:

Here's an odd request. Anyone have a Mysterious Belt of Daggers on test that they could give me or on live that they could copy over to test for me?

Character name on test? Just copied one over and I can log in this weekend and parcel it your way.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

shaggy-- posted:

I logged in and had a bunch of stuff in parcel and got the plat. Thank you so much. Just curious, am I meant to sell all of these gold bars?

You could just keep them, they are kind of pretty.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

You have GOT to be making GBS threads me.

33/35 Murdunks and server shits itself :emo:

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

MrTheDevious posted:

On the plus side...halfway to 85!

edit: PS good night, thanks again :p

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!

MrTheDevious posted:

Server seems to be up again.

Edit: NVM. Down again.

2X2 Eyes fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 18, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Haha you guys didnt finish it?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Nope, server croaked 90sec before we finished. As if that mission needed any additional bullshit to achieve maximum bullshit levels. Really really not amused.

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Just level to 80 asap before you AA anymore. Goons can deck you out in full 950hp vis/non-vis and your power triples. Tanks feel extremely lovely until you hit that HoT gear level. You can stop at 80-81 to AA with that gear + MUCH better weapons, then you'll be able to swarm PoFire and Paw until you're sick of it. I was swarming all of PoFire's field + C2 at 81 with that exact same gear and 750AA. Even on Luclin with no Test double-xp and before they boosted the AA bonus to 4kAA I could do 70-80 AA per lesson there. You'll FLY through the AA there now.

If you don't have 1.5 yet, you should stop grinding entirely and do the 1.5 so we can get you a 2.0. Swarming pretty much impossible without it! You can solo all of the 1.5 at 78 and still get xp from parts of it. Only suck part is the Broodmother in RCoD. She's kinda rare and only has 1 PH. Rest of the 1.5 is a straight shot though, then 2.0's just 1 more longish camp and a trip through Anguish. You can't be a real SK without a 2.0. It's the most gamebreaking single item in EQ.

You swap to the Test client from the Station Launcher under options. Just change the version from Live to Test. It'll have to patch for 5 mins or so, then you're ready to go. Don't bother until /testcopy's back though :) Once you get here though, there's a big ol' pile of goons right at your level grouping and only 75% of em are SKs, so way better ratio than last goonrush!

Awesome! I'm excited to play EQ again!

The whole reason I reinstalled was to group/raid with goons, so I'm pretty stoked to get in and start killing poo poo.

And I made my SK back in 2000, before they were cool :colbert:
Well that's not true, they were always cool, just not as ridiculous as they seem to be now.

2X2 Eyes posted:

Ok, I give. Copied my 78 monk to test. Tired of roaming Drinal on my own. :suicide:

In all honesty been trying to do this for the few days but kept getting errors. Hopefully I didn't miss all the fun. :ohdear:

Oh hey, I'm on Drinal too, at least until I copy over to test. Is it working now?

edit: yup, I'm now on test as Zgrak, with an empty friends list!

blackmage fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Jetz0r made my wildest dreams come true on test, and I didn't even have to give him sexual favors.

Thanks dude, all that stuff really helps, and I enjoy turning myself into a skele, 14 slotters and the tradeskill bags make looting a lot easier.

As for my previous post about Mistakes Were Made, we disbanded that guild, and will be joining the other goon guild on the server <The Roost gave me Harpies> (we didn't know you existed, oops, maybe the OP can add that guild name to the OP?)