Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

This page needs more awful... this should do it.

Stallone's face, with that shadow/light combination, looks absolutely terrible... I can't believe this is a real thing that someone was paid to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Jedit posted:

Getting back to discussion of actual movie posters, does anyone know who painted this one? It doesn't look like Greg and Tim Hildebrandt and I don't think it's Struzan either.

Wikipedia says Boris Vallejo. Also says he did the Aqua Teen Hunger Force one as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

There's a bullet hole in the sky, man.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Not a poster, but the boxart for Criterion's Repo Man release is just stellar:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I get that the Bullet to the Head poster is a really typical and boring collage of action movie things, but the only thing technically wrong with it is that woman's head not matching her body at all. It's a pretty major issue but otherwise it's an all right poster.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

General Ironicus posted:

I get that the Bullet to the Head poster is a really typical and boring collage of action movie things, but the only thing technically wrong with it is that woman's head not matching her body at all. It's a pretty major issue but otherwise it's an all right poster.

I dig that it's kinda like a contemporary version of a Drew Struzan poster.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DNS posted:

Sure is better than the horrible UK cover.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Noxville posted:

Jesus H.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DNS posted:

This is happening? Yes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

DNS posted:

This is fine and all, but I'm somewhat disappointed that it didn't just have a plain white cover with the words "Repo Man" written in this font:

Maybe the one that's going to be used could have been a slip cover, a-la Videodrome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

In thumbnail that looks like a painted poster, like the box to a 90s Lucasarts adventure game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Stallone's face, with that shadow/light combination, looks absolutely terrible... I can't believe this is a real thing that someone was paid to make.

Stallone's face is just looking terrible in general these days. As much as he's trying to deny it he's well into "old man" territory.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

For gently caress's sake. This proves it: people cannot be trusted to just do whatever they want with movie posters.

It's official: From now on, third-party posters should only be produced as Frank Frazetta style posters, regardless of the content of the film. Anything else is just frustrating.

This. Forever. For everything.
Because apparently limitations need to be imposed.

Of course it also had this poster by Mondo favorite Olly Moss:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm really convinced that girl's body is a painting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Someone mentioned "Nothing But Trouble" earlier and while the original poster is a good match for the movie (lovely) I found there is a Boris style alternative one that I've never seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dick Trauma posted:

Someone mentioned "Nothing But Trouble" earlier and while the original poster is a good match for the movie (lovely) I found there is a Boris style alternative one that I've never seen.

People who talk about Foodfight and whatnot as unspeakably awful really need to see Nothing But Trouble. Punishingly unfunny.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Both taglines are pretty terrible, but the top one is worse, all things considered.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

People who talk about Foodfight and whatnot as unspeakably awful really need to see Nothing But Trouble. Punishingly unfunny.

That was such a fuckin bizarre movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUo-1TjdEs

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Maarak posted:

Of course it also had this poster by Mondo favorite Olly Moss:

Ok, I really need to get around to seeing Rubber, because between that and the Sherrif monologue I saw on YouTube, it looks fantastic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Ok, I really need to get around to seeing Rubber, because between that and the Sherrif monologue I saw on YouTube, it looks fantastic.

It isn't. The Sherrif monologue was really the stand out part for me. The film has some interesting ideas, but in the end its hurt by awful pacing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You guys do realize that kiimo worked on that Bullet In The Head poster right?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Rubber is an...odd movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mister Chief posted:

And? He does good, he does bad. It happens.

Nothing really wrong with the Bullet to the Head poster - it's just boring.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

A while back, we did an episode on it - Yeah, the inventiveness of its concept (and all of the metafictional stuff) doesn't really translate, and it just ends up being supremely boring. Instead of being self-aware, it becomes self-conscious.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

shhhhhhh. I'm hoping nobody notices.

No but really it's not untrue what people are saying in my humble opinion that does not reflect the views of Warner Bros, Silver Pictures or Dark Castle.

We had a good poster and he saw some European fan art and wanted us to emulate the style. Seriously. Like, going for a hybrid between painted retro 80s art and photography.

We made this first and it is better but still not great....

Here's a really intuitive comment from IMP...

vargucci posted:

Jan 12 10:21:17pm
that looks like a client driven disaster right there. hey, so long as the check clears...

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 18, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

kiimo posted:

We made this first and it is better but still not great....

No it isn't! It's terrible! He's pointing the gun at the sky even though he's clearly standing on a horizontal plane and was just rotated! The background is total dead space!

Man, for once Mondo could do some good, just saying...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jefferoo posted:

He's pointing the gun at the sky even though he's clearly standing on a horizontal plane

I apologize if your mind has been blown.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I know someone who is obsessed with Nothing But Trouble... is this poster purchasable anywhere?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

kiimo posted:

I apologize if your mind has been blown.

No, it's cheesy and really stands out in the worst way.

As someone who has done graphic design in advertising for major clients for quite some time, like, drat is that unbearable to look at.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dick Trauma posted:

Reading the wikipedia synopsis and realizing that it isn't a post-apocalyptic comedy and is instead some sort of proto-Saw trap-horror comedy thing was a bizarre experience. What a bizarre sounding film.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
If there's ever a sequel to Cabin in the Woods, Nothing But Trouble should be the template.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jefferoo posted:

As someone who has done graphic design in advertising for major clients for quite some time, like, drat is that unbearable to look at.

The people who make the calls rarely are the ones in graphic design.

CaptainHollywood posted:

If there's ever a sequel to Cabin in the Woods, Nothing But Trouble should be the template.

I'm not sure how you'd make a sequel to that.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
kiimo, knowing who the 'client' probably is (Stallone), you should never feel bad about those posters. This is the guy who tried to get an author to remove his name from a novel that a movie he starred in was loosely based on, so that he could claim sole credit for the concept.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I saw Nothing But Trouble in the theater because it had Digital Underground in it.

It is terrible and then suddenly makes you think you're on crazy pills.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

kiimo, knowing who the 'client' probably is (Stallone), you should never feel bad about those posters. This is the guy who tried to get an author to remove his name from a novel that a movie he starred in was loosely based on, so that he could claim sole credit for the concept.

Which one was that?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As one of the few people in existence who completely and sincerely loves Nothing But Trouble, I have to say that that poster is loving amazing. It's like it was painted specifically for the movie's handful of fans.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jefferoo posted:

Hooray I'm glad you got to vent. I just said it was better than the one-sheet and then said it was not great. I said we had a good one sheet but that is not what I was talking about. The one I was talking about was scrapped and buried along with all the other great art that never sees the light of day once the execs and legal team and publicists get through with it. .

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nothing But Trouble is an art house masterpiece, you ignorant swine. :colbert:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Noxville posted:

I believe that one has a pretty fitting glow-in-the-dark effect (probably the skeleton) going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

zenintrude posted:

I know someone who is obsessed with Nothing But Trouble... is this poster purchasable anywhere?

Is his name Frank?

Nothing But Trouble is probably the most bizarre movie I've ever seen. It's totally unique, there's really no movie like it. I won't disagree with people who say it sucks but I definitely think everyone should watch it, it's quite an experience.

Content: I've always loved the poster for Blazing Saddles. It's such a cool design and I love the little touches that people may miss at first glance like the microphone and "Hi I'm Mel, trust me"

Ez fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 18, 2013