Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Vecna taught himself a new trick. If someone yells "I need an adult", he tackles the person next to them

it's the worst trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Pics video or it didn't happen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Triangulum posted:

Vecna taught himself a new trick. If someone yells "I need an adult", he tackles the person next to them

it's the worst trick

Welp, I guess I know what I'm teaching (attemping to teach) Amy next.

:3: Speaking of which, she's 5 today and I basically spent the whole morning squeaking "you're so big now! so big!!" at her.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Fraction posted:

Pics video or it didn't happen.

I'll see what I can do

my husband also taught him to lay down and put his head between his paws when someone yawns :3:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 17, 2013

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
No, no that's the best trick. :colbert:

Seconding video. Vecna is so handsome.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Vecna is a great name for a dog, too. Why'd you pick it, if you don't mind my asking, Triangulum?

Also, Abbeh, Zoso is so cute :3: I wish it would snow here.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Guys, Psyche did soooooooo well in her session today! We did approaches within a few feet to another dog and opposition walking with stops when the dogs were closest and not only did she not freak out, she was totally calm and just doing all the stuff I asked her to do like a champ. :clint: She was even wagging her tail and doing her little prancy flourishes that she does when she's having fun. Sooo cute. :3::3:

And yesterday, for the first time, she got treats from someone else while she was wearing her muzzle (the logistics mean someone needs to reach toward her face and stick their fingers in there or use a stick, which was always a problem. We used easy cheese and she was all licklicklick).

She's been off her prozac for nearly a week now and I dunno if that's the reason, but whatever, I'll take it!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

razorrozar posted:

Vecna is a great name for a dog, too. Why'd you pick it, if you don't mind my asking, Triangulum?

Also, Abbeh, Zoso is so cute :3: I wish it would snow here.

My husband and I are big dumb nerds who like D&D a lot and Vecna was a pretty rad villan :rolldice:

Yeah I know.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Triangulum posted:

it's the worst trick

This is basically the best trick, I don't know what you're saying. :colbert:

Feldman's new trick is to whine constantly until someone looks at him, at which point he'll bark. THAT is the worst trick. :colbert:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Triangulum posted:

My husband and I are big dumb nerds who like D&D a lot and Vecna was a pretty rad villan :rolldice:

Yeah I know.

You're not nerds. You are awesome. Super awesome. And I loving love the name.
You should train him the "Eye of Vecna" trick and have him one-eyed stare at people ;)

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Make sure no one makes up a rumor about your dog's head being an item of power...

also can I post wild animals? there has been a young doe in my back yard for an hour now and I took some pictures of it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

it was a lot different back in the old days

back in 2009, before most of you were born.

~reminiscing~

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Uhh how do you get to the IRC?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Kiri koli posted:

Guys, Psyche did soooooooo well in her session today! We did approaches within a few feet to another dog and opposition walking with stops when the dogs were closest and not only did she not freak out, she was totally calm and just doing all the stuff I asked her to do like a champ. :clint: She was even wagging her tail and doing her little prancy flourishes that she does when she's having fun. Sooo cute. :3::3:

Well done Psyche!! :3:

wtftastic do you have an irc client thing like mIRC

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

Uhh how do you get to the IRC?

I use http://cgiirc.synirc.net/irc.cgi?adv=1 and just change the channel to #petisland and your nickname to Buttlord117 or whatever.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I use http://cgiirc.synirc.net/irc.cgi?adv=1 and just change the channel to #petisland and your nickname to Buttlord117 or whatever.

cheers!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Renzuko posted:

Make sure no one makes up a rumor about your dog's head being an item of power...

:lol:
We're totally naming our next GSD Kas the Bloodyhanded :kimchi:

Siochain posted:

You're not nerds. You are awesome. Super awesome. And I loving love the name.
You should train him the "Eye of Vecna" trick and have him one-eyed stare at people ;)

We tried cuing high five to "hand of Vecna" but it's just too long to be an effective cue

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Triangulum posted:

We tried cuing high five to "hand of Vecna" but it's just too long to be an effective cue

What about cuing 'hand of'? Then you can finish with his name like it's part of the cue :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Fraction posted:

What about cuing 'hand of'? Then you can finish with his name like it's part of the cue :3:

That would probably work. At this point it probably doesn't even matter what we say because high five's his most solid hand signal.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRvODlYjfM&t=8s

Still adorable!

whoa I need to pick up stuff and organize

Also holy hell did she have the late night zoomies last night. I need to hurry up and get out of an apartment so the people below me don't have to hear "glomph galomph galomph!" at 1:00 AM. They have a subwoofer they play loud music on at midnight though, so whatever.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The pen light and light up panels I put on Vecna's harness seem to really frighten people for some reason :confused: Ssince I put them on, most people we encounter cross the street and I get asked if he's part of a K9 unit all the time now.

Man I just wanna be able to see my dog at night and make sure cars can see him. He's not gonna eat you :sigh:

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

A friend of mine that works at a big box pet store posted this on her facebook today:

Left the cat in a Keurig box overnight. Good thing they put the sad face on there so we know that they aren't bad people.

I hate everyone. Semi happy ending: the rescue group that the store works with is totally going to help her find a home.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

DenialTwist posted:

A friend of mine that works at a big box pet store posted this on her facebook today:

Left the cat in a Keurig box overnight. Good thing they put the sad face on there so we know that they aren't bad people.

I hate everyone. Semi happy ending: the rescue group that the store works with is totally going to help her find a home.

So they didn't have the heart to bring the cat to the pound but stuffing it in to a cardboard box and leaving it was totally fine. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also, gently caress people that declaw cats.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

So they didn't have the heart to bring the cat to the pound but stuffing it in to a cardboard box and leaving it was totally fine. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Shelters are scary and what if the people there judged her for dropping off her cat?

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Bad Munki posted:

Also, gently caress people that declaw cats.

According to my friend it's a small black kitten in that weird gangly kitten stage so hopefully she'll get adopted quickly. What I don't understand is how you have money for a declaw, spay, and a keurig but not to feed your cat?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

Shelters are scary and what if the people there judged her for dropping off her cat?

Yeah because leaving a cat overnight in a tiny rear end box is much better. :psyduck:

I bet the real reason was because they didn't want to have to pay a fee to give the cat up, or w/e.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Should have let it go in the woods so it'd have a ~fighting chance~

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Fraction, I can't help but say that you have one of the most perfect JRTs that have ever been. It's disturbing that various people have got a hold of the breed and decided that huge heads and tiny legs are somehow a good idea. Your dog is a very close match to one of my best dog associates, a dog named Podge that belongs to my parents and who I grew up with and he is still alive, 13 years old in excellent health.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I agree big head & stumpy legs are awful, but Lola isn't a great example of JRTs. :shobon: She's typical of the ~farm JRT~ I see a lot around here, but she's pretty flawed in a lot of ways (structurally and temperamentally). There's a lot that I would change about her if I could.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Fraction posted:

I agree big head & stumpy legs are awful, but Lola isn't a great example of JRTs. :shobon: She's typical of the ~farm JRT~ I see a lot around here, but she's pretty flawed in a lot of ways (structurally and temperamentally). There's a lot that I would change about her if I could.

I think to be honest that that the breed itself doesn't lend itself well to the kind of rigid breed standard that has ruined a lot of other working dogs. The only requirements originally suggested by the Parson are essentially chest size and behaviour. With the popularisation of the breed there's a certain expectation as to what a Jack Russell is, but I think the best example of the breed is the dog with a decently wide gene pool, because at the end of the day it is supposed to be a practical dog. With regard to my personal experience, while I have not owned a JRT outright, I did grow up with them. My family's second dog was a smoother, shorter JRT bitch that gave birth to three pups, the largest dog of which we kept. The sire was a particuarly shaggy and long-legged dog, and his off-spring were extremely even temperered, and as as I've said, so far very long lived. So long as the end result works out fine.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Puppies are now 8 weeks old! How do they look? :3:

her name is now Chloe

And his is Harlow

And Nori will be ten months old on the 23rd :toot:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

And his is Harlow

And Nori will be ten months old on the 23rd :toot:

Harlow looks almost like Nori!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Puppies are now 8 weeks old! How do they look? :3:

Adorable is how they look. :3: Cute little furballs. And wow, Nori is ten months old already?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Roger is well behaved enough to not be crated while we're away from home. If he's visiting somewhere else and needs to be left alone, though, we crate him. He does not like crates. He let us (and his pillow) know.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Boogoose posted:

I think to be honest that that the breed itself doesn't lend itself well to the kind of rigid breed standard that has ruined a lot of other working dogs. The only requirements originally suggested by the Parson are essentially chest size and behaviour. With the popularisation of the breed there's a certain expectation as to what a Jack Russell is, but I think the best example of the breed is the dog with a decently wide gene pool, because at the end of the day it is supposed to be a practical dog. With regard to my personal experience, while I have not owned a JRT outright, I did grow up with them. My family's second dog was a smoother, shorter JRT bitch that gave birth to three pups, the largest dog of which we kept. The sire was a particuarly shaggy and long-legged dog, and his off-spring were extremely even temperered, and as as I've said, so far very long lived. So long as the end result works out fine.

Oh yeah they really don't need a rigid standard, but what I mean is that there are certain things about Lola's structure (eg her length and splayed feet) that I worry will actively contribute to her injuring herself someday.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

So I'm at chicken camp again and I'm staying 30km away from the facility where we work with the chickens. It's -28C outside and the hotel parking doesn't have the option of preheating the car for startup. Wish me luck! (I also need luck with the chickens. This is my 3rd camp and drat if it isn't the most demanding one yet! We're free shaping movement, which I've done with dogs, but it's a different ballgame with the birds.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

This camera makes my dogs purdy :allears:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

This camera makes my dogs purdy :allears:

I love Jess' grey little eye brows. They make her look very serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Once upon a time, they were tan! I kind of prefer them this way.

• Locked thread