Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

arhra posted:

If you're that impressed by a modern HG, you really do owe it to yourself to pick up a RG at some point before giving up the nippers for good.

I know the first few RGs are a bit fiddly, but how are the more recent ones? Are they fairly stable and free of huge engineering flaws or have they not got a handle on them yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I know the first few RGs are a bit fiddly, but how are the more recent ones? Are they fairly stable and free of huge engineering flaws or have they not got a handle on them yet?

They're still fiddly as hell to build, simply due to the sheer amount of tiny parts involved, but they're mostly pretty solid once you put them together now, I think.

Except the Zeta, of course, which from what I've heard/seen (don't actually have one myself) worked out about as well as you'd expect for their first attempt at a transforming RG.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Transforming Zeta = clusterfuck. Some things never change.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Bones posted:

the strike, freedom and justice are probably what you want. Not terrible and not boring.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Bimmi posted:

Transforming Zeta = clusterfuck. Some things never change.

I don't like his... jet mode or whatever, I think it looks like. So I never really mind his transformation cause I never do it :shobon:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

arhra posted:

worked out about as well as you'd expect for their first attempt at a transforming RG.
Good grief... I was always dubious about doing a transforming RG (especially the Zeta which isn't exactly a practical transformation) so early into the product line but I had no idea it was going to be such a mess.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 2, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
If the comments for those videos are to be believed, the reviewer didn't do the transformation correctly.

I'm curious about the RG Zeta merely because it's such an obviously insane thing to even attempt. Plus it couldn't possibly be worse than the original MG Zeta, which deserves some kind of medal for being such a big piece of crap.

edit: just gotta rave some more about the AGE-FX. I'm having a ball posing this sucker. The joint design is brilliant in how thorough yet straightforward it is, and the range of motion beats anything I've seen before. Nothing's weird or experimental or half-assed, and it all just works (except that damned neck). This may be the best kit of its type that I've ever built.

I also kind of love the AGE-FX in and of itself. I mean, AGE was loving dire and a really ugly and pointless show for the most part, but I feel they succeeded wildly with this one. The styling carries strong echoes of the GP-03S, Re-GZ and F90 - never a bad thing - but also retains a unique flavor of its own, even if that flavor is "refugee from an unproduced VIRTUAL-ON sequel." Hang the terrible series and the many questionable-to-awful design trends that spawned it, I think it rocks. Am I pretty much alone in this?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 3, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bimmi posted:

I also kind of love the AGE-FX in and of itself. I mean, AGE was loving dire and a really ugly and pointless show for the most part, but I feel they succeeded wildly with this one. The styling carries strong echoes of the GP-03S, Re-GZ and F90 - never a bad thing - but also retains a unique flavor of its own, even if that flavor is "refugee from an unproduced VIRTUAL-ON sequel." Hang the terrible series and the many questionable-to-awful design trends that spawned it, I think it rocks. Am I pretty much alone in this?

I like parts of the design like those cool bellbottom leg thrusters and the core fighter, but overall I just feel like the whole design is needlessly broken up into a bunch of lumpy shapes and I'm really not a fan of the green funnel swords. Without the funnels all over it the whole suit looks a lot nicer, but even then there's bits like the huge back skirt and the goofy looking gun and the way it doesn't even have a shield, it just has those tiny forearm guards like the age-3 had, that just put me off it. I really liked the vegan suits from that series a lot more, but I've heard the kits for them are pretty bad. Maybe one day I'll get my Gundam Legilis MG and it will be wonderful and perfect, but who knows.

I never understood why the Zeta is so needlessly complicated to transform when it was the first transforming kit/suit they ever designed. If you compare it to kyrios/arios in 00 or the age-2 its just needlessly fiddly to become something that doesn't even look that much like a plane.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 3, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I think the Zeta is what it is because someone decided they wanted to beat the VF-1 Valkyrie at its own game - "you think that's complicated, try THIS on for size" - but in reality it's always been quite toy-unfriendly and no degree of technological advancement is ever going to completely solve that.

I suppose the last few attempts have been impressive not because they work well, but because they work at all.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I got an Aile Strike RG today and I was pleasantly suprised at the quality of the build, after being a master grade snob for so long (Though I must admit, the Nobell Gundam was a delightful little HG). Only problems I really have with Aile Strike is that his backpack makes him need an action base to keep him standing up if you have it on his back, and that it is almost impossible to get the locator pin on his gun into the hole in his hand it's meant for, but that's because it's that freaking tiny. The wall all the jointed parts come connected on the sprue is a really nice way of doing them too.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
What's the general consensus on the MG S Gundam? I started reading Gundam Sentinel and I think I'm falling in love with it. I know the Ex-S Gundam is some ridiculous thing that needs its own special stand, but how's the normal S hold up?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Zeta 2.0 and Delta+ look coherent and steady for the amount of moving parts, relatively of course.
That said the Real grade is impressive technically from what I have seen, but holy balls that thing seems fragile. :stare:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Silentman0 posted:

What's the general consensus on the MG S Gundam? I started reading Gundam Sentinel and I think I'm falling in love with it. I know the Ex-S Gundam is some ridiculous thing that needs its own special stand, but how's the normal S hold up?

From what I've read, not very well. It's also an older model so it doesn't have a part that slots neatly into the action bases. I have an Ex-S and the stand is pretty good though it doesn't do anything for action poses.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I've decided to pull the old MG MK II 2.0 off the shelf and clean up the sprue marks and do a little plastic plate modifying. This kit will also be getting a hot new paint job! I don't know if I want to retain the standard color scheme, so I'm throwing it to you guys. What colors should my MK II 2.0 be?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slightpirate posted:

So I've decided to pull the old MG MK II 2.0 off the shelf and clean up the sprue marks and do a little plastic plate modifying. This kit will also be getting a hot new paint job! I don't know if I want to retain the standard color scheme, so I'm throwing it to you guys. What colors should my MK II 2.0 be?

Zeta Gundam color scheme. :)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

slightpirate posted:

Char custom

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slightpirate posted:

Lacus Clyne ALIVE

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Lacus Clyne ALIVE

what he said

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

I think the Zeta is what it is because someone decided they wanted to beat the VF-1 Valkyrie at its own game - "you think that's complicated, try THIS on for size" - but in reality it's always been quite toy-unfriendly and no degree of technological advancement is ever going to completely solve that.

I suppose the last few attempts have been impressive not because they work well, but because they work at all.

as someone who has worked on both the mg zeta 2.0 and the bandai frontier kits, I will take the zeta any day of the week. I really hate transformable kits, but good god the more I work on the vf-25 the more I hate the god drat thing. It has so many god drat moving parts that getting the jet mode to look like its supposed to is drat near impossible. The zeta while complicated, could look okay in both modes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zedd posted:

That said the Real grade is impressive technically from what I have seen, but holy balls that thing seems fragile. :stare:

Man you have no idea. :negative:

Finished building the HG Exia Repair II recently, and ughhh who designed the yellow chest fins or whatever they are. They're connected to the arms in such a way that if you move the arms at all they'll flop all over the place. Other then that the kit was fine and easy-to-assemble, though I was surprised how many replacement parts the thing had.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

slightpirate posted:

The Powered GM livery is a good fit for the Mk.II, I think, especially with a light grey in place of the white. A bright green + white duotone works surprisingly well too.

BlitzBlast posted:

Man you have no idea. :negative:

Can you elaborate? I'm sorely tempted to grab one later this week, but not if I need to buy a couple extra just for spare parts.

edit: VVV yeah, that sounds typical of TF Zetas. Shame, but what can ya do.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 7, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I wouldn't be that worried about having to get spare parts (just be really careful when you're assembling the head, particularly the forehead jewel) since the assembly itself is smooth as long as you totally cut off all the sprues. The problem is that once you're done, you really can't do much. It's got a lot of flexibility, but there's no good place to grip it since there's so many fiddly bits. I've had to leave it in a generic standing pose since anything else carries the risk of me messing up the whole thing, and often attempts to repair something only pop off more bits. As for transforming it? Oh god no. It was the first thing I tried to do when I finished, and it was just a complete nightmare and almost made the whole thing fall apart. Hell, the left leg straight up popped off and now it's permanently loose.

If you do intend to transform it, I would actually recommend getting a separate kit just for the Waverider form. It would probably be less frustrating than transforming it back and forth.

EDIT: A few minutes after posting this, I recalled that I did straight up need superglue to get the beam rifle to stay together. So if you get it, and the stupid thing keeps falling apart, that's normal.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 7, 2013

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Well, part 2 of Baby's First Gunpla Adventures is complete. For my second foray I chose the HG Aile Striker Gundam. I also finished up the Zaku that came with the RX-78 that I posted about last time. The Zaku really showed me how much difference some painting could make; the missile pods look like crap since every piece is the same color and the axe is just a hunk of grey plastic. :geno:

As for the Strike, I'm quite pleased by how it turned out, though I once again managed to make a big goddamn mess of some of the detail lines. I like how much range of motion it has compared to the RX-78; I can pose it in a bunch of ways that would make the RX-78 fall apart outright. The kit seems pretty solid in most ways - the Aile pack isn't so heavy that the suit topples over at slightest provocation, none of the pieces are loose or flimsy feeling, the joints are firm enough that it holds poses well, and the plastic in this kit seems higher quality than the RX-78 was. I like the more vibrant color scheme too. Next up is either the HG Zeta or the HG Exia. I'm still working on getting more experience before I tackle my MG God Gundam.

On the topic of painting, what is the typical way to go about it? From what I've read, it seems like an airbrush is the creme de la creme of model painting, but those fuckers are way too expensive. Is it feasible to spray paint an entire runner and then detail with a brush after assembly? I'm concerned about getting too much paint on a piece and making too big to fit where it should, although sanding the paint down would probably prevent that from being a problem.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All I know is that dunking your parts in warm water is practically mandatory. There's a thin, colorless coat over all the pieces that helps you break them off, and it does not mix well with paint at all. Supposedly Bandai does a pretty good job about washing it off, but to be safe you should at least wash it overnight or something.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Is there ever hope for a HLJ item to come from being backordered to regularly in stock? I linked a statue here earlier that I wanted, but it was a preorder. Now it's backordered, but it's sold out on every site BUT HLJ. Do they have that much pull, or are they lazy with updating stock?

I'm new to the whole statue thing so I don't know if they'll ever come back in stock.. Should've got one while I had the chance. Sucks. Why do they have to be like 80 drat dollars?!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Oblique Angle posted:

Is it feasible to spray paint an entire runner and then detail with a brush after assembly?

Definitely not, as the general rule is "clean up parts, then paint." If you clip after you paint the sprue scars will be even more obvious than they are on bare plastic, and you may very well damage the paint too.

It's possible to buy a basic airbrush for next to nothing, so that's not really an obstacle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Definitely not, as the general rule is "clean up parts, then paint." If you clip after you paint the sprue scars will be even more obvious than they are on bare plastic, and you may very well damage the paint too.

It's possible to buy a basic airbrush for next to nothing, so that's not really an obstacle.

I've done it like this and yes, you get a painted surface with a bunch of touch ups where you went in with the brush. If you color match the paint or decant the spray can that would help with color fidelity, as would sanding the part to fade away the touch up. But at that point it's almost the same effort it would have been to mask it anyway.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Candid lovely snaps of my recently assembled (by no means finished) HG AGE-FX:

I shaved the V-fin down by a considerable margin. Repeatedly came close to ruining the drat thing, but I suppose it looks alright.

This pose is amazing. It's a very, very old pose of mine – one I like to think of as "both beseeching and becoming God" - but rare's the kit that really does it justice. This one beats them all, in my book.

You might also catch hints of my lazy yet effective watercolor-pen shading technique in both pix... likely the most this guy will ever get as I've no real intent to display him. Sure was a fun build though!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Also on the bench tonight, complete w/ inwizible swordz:

(not the MG)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
How blunt the v-fin comes out of the box makes the 00 look like a bug. Get those things pointy and looking like a Gundam, man!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The hilarious thing is that I looked at that V-fin again and decided it needed just a bit more work and I finally did gently caress it up. man, I am bad at Gundams.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Gotta stick to the MG/RG models. Their v-fins are always eye-piercing good. Alternatively, buy china gunpla cause the v-fins on those things could slit throats.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Gotta stick to the MG/RG models. Their v-fins are always eye-piercing good. Alternatively, buy china gunpla cause the v-fins on those things could slit throats.

Sometimes they'll make you want to slit your own.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
God drat, Kotobukiya's SD GaoGaiGar line is like one of my favorite things right now. ChoRyuJin is just so awesome. Full symetrical docking and pre-painted parts :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So the same third party company who made the 1/100 scale GN Sword IV for MG 00 Quanta is now working on a RG G-Defenser for RG Gundam Mk II:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2013/01/rg-1144-add-ons-by-btf-butterfly.html?m=1

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
cutting identical bits of plastic plate to do modifications is REALLY HARD.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So Bandai is making a limited "White Unicorn" RG Zeta Gundam.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The white-and-purple Zeta has always cracked me up, and would suggest that Amuro Ray has no sense of style a'tall and just lets whomever the gently caress choose the colors of his mobile suits. Am I wrong in thinking this actually fits his character? (it's a cool-lookin scheme regardless)

I went against my better judgment on Tuesday and got me an RG Zeta. Having made a quick scan of the parts, I'll say I can handle it. Sold to me by some guys who recently moved into my backyard, so feel free to give 'em some business and keep things weird around here.

Also dropped on another HG AGE-FX to replace one goddamned part (hint: it was the V-fin). I guess I'm in love with this one! Sure am gonna take a little more care the second time around tho (holy poo poo I'm incredibly rusty)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

TaurusOxford posted:

So Bandai is making a limited "White Unicorn" RG Zeta Gundam.

Pretty much par for the course for Bandai. Different colors->Change a couple decals->Sell as limited edition online: People will buy that poo poo up.

God, I want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Very noice(shk):

• Locked thread