Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Armourking posted:

It's been a while, but you should be able to pull the vista drive, pop the win7 media in, and Repair My Computer. From there it should scan and find the 7 installation, and you can do a startup repair. Edit: it can take up to three times to fix it, otherwise you could just use bootsec.exe and do it yourself.

Hmm, "Repair my computer" doesn't find the 7 installation. In fact it doesn't even scan for it, it just gives me a prompt to load drivers, although I can browse the HDD with 7 on so it doesn't seem to lack the necessary drivers for accessing it.
I think I'm going to hold off on this for a while, maybe better to upgrade to an SSD with a fresh Win8-installation and just migrate stuff over instead.
Thanks for the help anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Not sure if this is the right thread, IE9 question: Is there any way to change the default download folder for a specific site only? Reasonable enough request but damned if I can find a way to do it.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Well, Windows Live Mesh (p2p folder synchronization, without the size limitations / cost of cloud storage) is going to be eliminated in February.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement? I depend on it to keep my documents folders and photo albums sync'ed across a few computers.

Edit: forgot to mention that one of the computers I sync with is a Mac - which Windows Live Mesh works surprisingly well on. So a replacement with Mac compatibility would be ideal / required.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 17, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I have an issue where the display will become sort of sharper or more contrasted for a second, then return to its original state, but I have no idea what's causing it. When I was running an HD5750 on XP I had to stay on Catalyst 11.2 to avoid it, so it must be some feature added later that's doing it. The pixel format is set to RGB 4:4:4 Standard and it's running at 720p.

Any ideas?

Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
Catalyst 12.10
Sapphire HD7850 OC 2GB
Sony BRAVIA KDL-32BX300

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
I accidentally formatted a USB drive with an old Windows XP service pack 1 disc and Windows 7 gives me a reformatting error. Is there a recommended program that I could use to reformat this USB drive?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

John Lightning posted:

I accidentally formatted a USB drive with an old Windows XP service pack 1 disc and Windows 7 gives me a reformatting error. Is there a recommended program that I could use to reformat this USB drive?
How are you trying to format the disc in Win7, and what error do you get?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I ran the Catzilla benchmark, and at the end it said I set my virtual memory too high. I clicked on the button next to it, thinking it'd provide me with more information, but instead it changed the virtual memory for me. I don't know what it originally was, but now it was below 4GB. I just set it back to 12GB (I have 8GB of RAM), is that enough/too much?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grawl posted:

I ran the Catzilla benchmark, and at the end it said I set my virtual memory too high. I clicked on the button next to it, thinking it'd provide me with more information, but instead it changed the virtual memory for me. I don't know what it originally was, but now it was below 4GB. I just set it back to 12GB (I have 8GB of RAM), is that enough/too much?

If you've got an SSD, you can bump it down to 2–4GB. If not, just let Windows manage page file size.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Well, Windows Live Mesh (p2p folder synchronization, without the size limitations / cost of cloud storage) is going to be eliminated in February.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement? I depend on it to keep my documents folders and photo albums sync'ed across a few computers.

Edit: forgot to mention that one of the computers I sync with is a Mac - which Windows Live Mesh works surprisingly well on. So a replacement with Mac compatibility would be ideal / required.

Why not just move to SkyDrive? It's the drop-in replacement for Mesh and supports OSX.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Other options would be Dropbox or Google Drive

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Grawl posted:

12GB's for a Page File is way overkill and just kills space especially if you use an SSD, I have 16GB's of RAM so my default Page File was something like 32GB's, I reduced mine to 4GB's and have never had a problem. 2-4 seems to be the sweet spot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Im_Special posted:

12GB's for a Page File is way overkill and just kills space especially if you use an SSD, I have 16GB's of RAM so my default Page File was something like 32GB's, I reduced mine to 4GB's and have never had a problem. 2-4 seems to be the sweet spot.

For Windows installs with 1gb or more of memory, the page file is initially 1:1 with system memory and will grow up to 3:1 but only under pressure because space in the page file was exhausted. Your page file was not 32gb unless something was actually using it in which case you probably shouldn't be messing with it. 4GB is probably a good compromise position if you have a larger amount of system memory but a smaller ssd.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If your pagefile is growing that much, then the workload you put on your computer exceeds your specifications.

In other words, you need more RAM.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SplitSoul posted:

I have an issue where the display will become sort of sharper or more contrasted for a second, then return to its original state, but I have no idea what's causing it. When I was running an HD5750 on XP I had to stay on Catalyst 11.2 to avoid it, so it must be some feature added later that's doing it. The pixel format is set to RGB 4:4:4 Standard and it's running at 720p.

Any ideas?

Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
Catalyst 12.10
Sapphire HD7850 OC 2GB
Sony BRAVIA KDL-32BX300

It could be something fighting over the colour calibration settings - when I used to use f.lux the buttons in the AMD Control Centre would always flash because my changes were being reverted, same for trying to adjust the gamma in the normal Windows calibration thing. Maybe there's some kind of profile kicking in, like if it detects you're watching a video or something?

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Pilsner posted:

How are you trying to format the disc in Win7, and what error do you get?

I'm just right clicking on the drive in Computer and clicking Format, then selecting restore device defaults. When I click start Windows says it is unable to complete the format. For the Capacity option its says unknown capacity, so that might have something to do with it.

John Lightning fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 17, 2013

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Why not just move to SkyDrive? It's the drop-in replacement for Mesh and supports OSX.

Because I'm trying to avoid cloud storage - I have a huge photo library and documents folder, and don't really need/want them to be accessible online. My understanding was that SkyDrive was a cloud solution - unless I'm mistaken?

Same goes for Dropbox / Google Drive.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Because I'm trying to avoid cloud storage - I have a huge photo library and documents folder, and don't really need/want them to be accessible online. My understanding was that SkyDrive was a cloud solution - unless I'm mistaken?

Don't think it will work for Mac, but SyncToy lets you synchronize files across a LAN. I use it for keeping my Documents/Pictures/Music directories the same across both my PCs and my laptop. Doesn't work over WAN though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am trying to research DRM/IRM for Powerpoint presentations and have some questions.

This microsoft page details how to add an expiration date in Powerpoint 2010 however the steps it is saying to take do not match up with the steps I am seeing on my screen. Is this because I have a Student version that is for non-commercial use only? Or am I just being an idiot?

I have also done some research on third-party products for DRM/IRM, can anyone give their opinions on the following and/or suggest other alternatives?

http://www.locklizard.com/powerpoint_security.htm

http://www.armjisoft.com/?page=officeownerguard

Thanks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's a hybrid cloud solution in the exact same way that Mesh was. You have local folders that replicate through the intermediary cloud location. Mesh had the option to do the replication directly between two computers if they were both on at the same time, but that is stupid and just asking for the file to get out of sync at the various locations. Mesh also had a web interface where you could download your files through a browser.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Im_Special posted:

If it's just a space issue, I don't mind it being 12GB (and yes, on an SSD).

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's a hybrid cloud solution in the exact same way that Mesh was. You have local folders that replicate through the intermediary cloud location. Mesh had the option to do the replication directly between two computers if they were both on at the same time, but that is stupid and just asking for the file to get out of sync at the various locations. Mesh also had a web interface where you could download your files through a browser.

Yeah, my only problem with that (and most cloud solutions) is that I assume(d) that you have to pay for that intermediary cloud location. If Skydrive has an option to sync without storing online (and therefore charging), then I will have to give it a shot. I am trying to check their site, but not finding any clear answers there.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, my only problem with that (and most cloud solutions) is that I assume(d) that you have to pay for that intermediary cloud location. If Skydrive has an option to sync without storing online (and therefore charging), then I will have to give it a shot. I am trying to check their site, but not finding any clear answers there.

7gb free and then $10/+20GB, $25/+50GB, $50/+100GB.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

7gb free and then $10/+20GB, $25/+50GB, $50/+100GB.

Is that monthly or yearly?

That's what's going to be the deal breaker for me - also, does it let you share folders? The photo library I sync is a family photo album, and I have it set up so my parents can add photos to it easily.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's annual, and yes you can do sharing with it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/compare

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks for that link - for some reason I wasn't finding any of that info. Alright, I guess I'll look into this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

baka kaba posted:

It could be something fighting over the colour calibration settings - when I used to use f.lux the buttons in the AMD Control Centre would always flash because my changes were being reverted, same for trying to adjust the gamma in the normal Windows calibration thing. Maybe there's some kind of profile kicking in, like if it detects you're watching a video or something?

Well, it's not dependent on what's on screen, it'll happen both in games, the browser and when staring at the desktop.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pet peeve of mine that I've had for a long time, but never remembered to ask a windows expert about

UNTIL NOW!

After my computer is booted, doesn't matter if the PC is on for 20 secs of 1 hour, when I try to open My Computer and go into a HDD, it takes something like 10+ seconds to actually open it and start to see the directories and files for the first time.

Is there a way to speed this up so it isn't literally 10+ seconds? I could live with a couple seconds no problem.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Assuming Win7 or Win8, try going to Control Panel >Power Options >Change Plan Settings >Change Advanced Settings >Hard Disk >Turn off hard disk after: Change to a longer span or Never.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

WorkingStiff posted:

Assuming Win7 or Win8, try going to Control Panel >Power Options >Change Plan Settings >Change Advanced Settings >Hard Disk >Turn off hard disk after: Change to a longer span or Never.

Done, but this happens even after I just boot into Win 7. Like, a minute after turning the power on my PC. Would that effect it?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

slidebite posted:

Done, but this happens even after I just boot into Win 7. Like, a minute after turning the power on my PC. Would that effect it?
Hmm, in folder options of the root folder, try switching from "Optimise this folder for: General" to "Documents".

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So I wrote AMD Support about the problem I mentioned previously, they said to update to Catalyst 13.1. Now I can't get my Pixel Format setting to stick and it will revert to a setting that fucks up my colours something fierce. Goddamn useless.

Edit: Huh, restarting a few times seems to have fixed it. Still have the other problem, though.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 18, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just randomly checked today, and Office 2013 Professional Plus is available on the Home Use Program from today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/18/office_2013_sold_on_hup/

I bought Office 2010 2 years ago under the program - if my company still subscribes to the program, will I be able to buy Office 2013 through it?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just randomly checked today, and Office 2013 Professional Plus is available on the Home Use Program from today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/18/office_2013_sold_on_hup/

I bought Office 2010 2 years ago under the program - if my company still subscribes to the program, will I be able to buy Office 2013 through it?
Yup cause I just attempted and it let me purchase it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What the gently caress is with the new trend to not include installation media with Windows computers?

I just ordered a Dell Precision M6700, paid $2000+, no installation media. gently caress.

Is there a legit download site, preferably Microsoft run that has the 64bit Windows 8 install media. The Dell version that doesn't require activation if installed on Dell machines would be a bonus.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

What the gently caress is with the new trend to not include installation media with Windows computers?

I just ordered a Dell Precision M6700, paid $2000+, no installation media. gently caress.

Is there a legit download site, preferably Microsoft run that has the 64bit Windows 8 install media. The Dell version that doesn't require activation if installed on Dell machines would be a bonus.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/c0e78d7a-883d-4caa-a8c0-1e127a14612a

Could you install Windows 7 without a product and use this method to get Windows 8 installed?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-iso/ef5c3a70-1481-473f-8016-07475f150720

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

IT Guy posted:

It's new? None of the computers my family has bought in the last ~10 years have come with windows discs of any kind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Dell probably comes with software to make your own installation media. It's exactly the same as if they sent you the DVD's. The new PC I got for my parents this Christmas had it and it was cake. It's not like 2 blank DVDs are hard to find.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IT Guy posted:

I haven't seen physical media on any boxed PC/laptop in years. Usually it's just a small partition on the HDD for restoring which you can boot to in bios.

Not that I'd want to, it's usually loaded with bloatware.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

GreenNight posted:

The Dell probably comes with software to make your own installation media. It's exactly the same as if they sent you the DVD's. The new PC I got for my parents this Christmas had it and it was cake. It's not like 2 blank DVDs are hard to find.

Does it just make a current system image with all the current Dell bloat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if Dell is actual imaging software or just restore to original specs. If I had to guess, it'd be system restore including the packaged bloatware.