Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same

left_unattended posted:

For content, this is what I'm doing with the wool I posted earlier. Direct to you from the Unfashionable Western Arm of the Galaxy, I give you:

Hitchhiker

I've put Arabian Nights on the backburner for the time being.

Ooooh! Both of those are beautiful. I've had that Hitchhiker in my sights on ravelry for a while, I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished! I can't seem to start anything different... I'm obsessed with doing another clap with Noro Kirameki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

He's a 'puggle' (aka mutt), half pug and half beagle. And all dumbass. :)

We have a refurbished pug, and he's pretty drat dumb. "Derp" was SERIOUSLY considered as a name. Like, runs into the screen door stupid. I can't imagine a pug that had a beagle's determination to follow smells.

Also, I never got to finish the yarn for the Pretty Thing for my dad's girlfriend, so I'm knitting it out of leftover laceweight.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks, everyone, for the needle suggestions. I went with the Nickel plated Interchangeables from KnitPicks. They are magnificent. They knit like butter. I started a basic cardigan with them and I've already run out of space on my cables. Had to order connectors and now I'm eagerly awaiting those. I also ordered some longer cables for future projects that will probably need way more space.

Meanwhile I'm knitting a hat for some practice in the round with a fair isle element.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

innocent_deadly posted:

Thanks, everyone, for the needle suggestions. I went with the Nickel plated Interchangeables from KnitPicks. They are magnificent. They knit like butter. I started a basic cardigan with them and I've already run out of space on my cables. Had to order connectors and now I'm eagerly awaiting those. I also ordered some longer cables for future projects that will probably need way more space.

Meanwhile I'm knitting a hat for some practice in the round with a fair isle element.

I love the nickle plated Knitpicks needles! I'm slowly building a set, only because I wasn't sure I wanted to lay down on a set, and started accumulating bits unintentionally, usually to fill an order to the free shipping amount. I'm a big fan of a slippery needle.

I just ordered yarn to start this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sprout-blanket for another pregnant friend. My mother looks at the pattern and tells me that the baby will get her nose stuck in the bumps and suffocate? Glad SHE can't have any more babies because she would be getting zero blankets from me.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Came for the knit chat, stayed for the adorable dog. Seriously, look at that face :3:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Finished my Hitchhiker a couple of days ago. Little shorter than the pattern, but I couldn't be assed hand-winding another skein for another few teeth, and I didn't mind the length. Thinking about making the matching gloves at some point, but I should probably finish Arabian Nights and I'm knitting some bits and pieces - dishcloths, a tea towel, and the lovely Emerald's Lace bath set as a housewarming gift for my parents, who move next week. I love taking on last minute projects, because I'm an idiot :rolleyes:. Never mind.

Second image gets closest to the true colour, but the in progress photos I posted earlier show it best. It really is stunning. The pattern itself is incredibly simple to knit, and looks great when it's finished.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
So I'm trying to make these gloves for a friend, and I've hit a snag. It isn't very clear on where to start the thumb. I can follow a pattern when it's written out row by row. As it is, I'm lost. Can anyone clear it up for me? Thanks!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

rear end Crackers! posted:

So I'm trying to make these gloves for a friend, and I've hit a snag. It isn't very clear on where to start the thumb. I can follow a pattern when it's written out row by row. As it is, I'm lost. Can anyone clear it up for me? Thanks!

From what I can tell, you don't start the thumb until everything else is done. It appears to me (I'm just a beginner at knitting just so take it with a grain of salt) that the whole thing is knit with straight needles rather than in the round and you just sew everything up at the end. So if you skip to the end of the pattern, it looks as if you actually knit together all of the fingers individually, make the thumbs separately and when you're sewing up the side seam, you leave a space to sew on the thumbs about 2.5 inches from the ribbing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I just took a quick look, and I think innocent_deadly is right. It looks like they are knit flat, and at the end, you block and then seam up the fingers.

You'll knit the thumbs separate, then sew them on.

quote:

Join the side seam, leaving a 2.5 inch space above the ribbing for the thumbs, and press the seams. Sew up the thumb seams, then sew in the thumbs and press the seams.

Like so.

Kind of an odd way to do it, but then again, you don't have to try fiddling with knitting fingers in the round, which is always a win in my books.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Ah. Well crap. I already started in the round. Maybe I'll just wing it!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Well since you've started you could do a gusset or afterthought thumb instead.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

It's cool, just rip it all apart and start the gently caress over. :suicide:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

HeatherChandler posted:

My mother looks at the pattern and tells me that the baby will get her nose stuck in the bumps and suffocate? Glad SHE can't have any more babies because she would be getting zero blankets from me.

Sorry for the double post, but suffocation hazard was A THING a couple decades ago, so it's probably just her giving you the best advice she knows of.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, I found this awesome shawl on Ravelry, it's beautiful, and easy, and I thought I'd share it because even the really experienced ladies in my circle are impressed by my work now, and it's so freaking easy!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dinner-in-the-eiffel-tower-shawl

Anyway, it's like, five different pattern bits in one, all counting based, very easy to keep track of. I'm making it out of Classic Elite, Princess.

http://shop.classiceliteyarns.com/p/princess-orange-attitude?pp=12&pp=12

It's pretty awesome. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I always say I'm done with shawls but then I see cool ones and can't help myself. Thank you for sharing- that looks really nice.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Oh I love orange and that looks lovely. Please be sure to post a picture for me to drool all over. (and add to my list of things to make)

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
I just made myself some trigger gloves. I had some old fingerless gloves that my aunt had knit, but my fingers still got cold. I'm quite pleased with these, it's difficult to find gloves that fit me well, my hands are tiny and my pinky's a little shorter than it oughta be.

Action shot!

My ratty-rear end dumpster cat wants none of it.

I also knit a scarf for a friend. I took a photo before I sent it off, but I bet it looks better on him.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh those gloves are lovely. I love the colours.

I actually finished something for the first time in what feels forever! I made a Catkin after that one got posted here.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
While awaiting the arrival of my second child, I knit. I liked this free ravelry pattern so much I might do a couple more in different sizes just because it was such a fun knit.

I made my mom sew on the buttons because I suck at everything involving sewing.

e: FelicityGS, that shawl is very pretty! I love love love the blue/brown color combo - it made me remember I have some thin yarn in those colors, might make some more baby stuff from it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I made my boyfriend a cowl.
\]

Then I made myself a cowl.

Then after spinning myself some yarn, I made myself another cowl.

I might have a problem.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Those are really pretty! I've been wanting to make a cowl with the mobius cast-on, but I don't have any circs long enough for it.

Right now I'm knitting a little bow-knot scarf with some variegated yarn that my roommate gave me for my birthday. It's all these weird shades of yellow, green, and blue. It's nice wool, but I actually kind of hate most of the yellow and green shades. He thought I'd really like it though, so hopefully this will turn out nice. :shobon:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

FelicityGS posted:

Oh those gloves are lovely. I love the colours.

I actually finished something for the first time in what feels forever! I made a Catkin after that one got posted here.

Heee! That was me! It is a very lovely pattern, and its great seeing all the color combos. Yours is very nice. :) I stupidly ruined mine, but I have yarn for another in colors I prefer more anyway! (I am trying very hard to look at the bright side.)

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Started my first double knit scarf, not a fan of the edges coming out so ratty, but it took me a bit to find a way of doing them that didn't look completely awful.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
Stormageddon, if you really want the edges to look nice you could always finish it off with applied I-cord, but I would probably just say gently caress it unless it was for someone really special! But that's just me. :-) I love the color combo though, very bold!

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010
After a nearly 3 month hiatus (thought I could knit on maternity leave, HA!), I think I'm ready to start knitting again! My mom's work friend gave her two huge, and I mean huge boxes of yarn/needles/bits, and she gave them to me. The problem is, the yarn is all nearly mohair or a mohair blend.

I've never knit with mohair, it all looks so itchy. I was hoping someone knows what I could make with it. Does it felt? Does it really make you itch? Can I wash it to make it better? Could I make baby clothes out of it? Should I just try to sell it all?

I've got easily 80+ skeins of various colors/brands of mohair, and I haven't even started organizing everything yet. Bleh. It's just been sitting in the boxes since before Christmas.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Depending on how it was spun, it could be SUPER soft.

Personally, mohair actually breaks me out. You might be different.

rectal cushion I do not need encouragement to knit my coworker a baby thing. I hardly know her. That is an absolutely lovely sweater though. Maybe just one won't hurt.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Phishi posted:

Stormageddon, if you really want the edges to look nice you could always finish it off with applied I-cord, but I would probably just say gently caress it unless it was for someone really special! But that's just me. :-) I love the color combo though, very bold!

Only as special as I to myself.

I did make the fox tail bite scarf and am making a wolf version for another friend who saw it

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Hey guys, I just posted a SA mart thread selling handspun yarn: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530861

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

rectal cushion posted:

While awaiting the arrival of my second child, I knit. I liked this free ravelry pattern so much I might do a couple more in different sizes just because it was such a fun knit.

Adorable! I tried making a baby hoodie recently and failed miserably and it looked awful and I didn't even want to save the yarn, I just got mad and threw it away. :(

Maybe that pattern won't make me hate life.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Everyone is making such pretty things in such pretty yarns! It makes me want to do like six things at once.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

innocent_deadly posted:

Everyone is making such pretty things in such pretty yarns! It makes me want to do like six things at once.

One of us, one of us!

*ahem* I mean, I'm not a project hopper, oh no. I don't have like 12 things on the needles in various states of unfinished...

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Phishi posted:

One of us, one of us!

*ahem* I mean, I'm not a project hopper, oh no. I don't have like 12 things on the needles in various states of unfinished...

Pretty much. My ten, fourteen, seven, and five are all in use and not on the same project

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I don't want to talk about being a project whore. I have so many pairs of socks on the needles, several of which I don't even think I'll ever finish because I hate them now. And like twenty spinning projects, and a bag, and a sweater. And there's a baby hat that literally has about fifteen minutes of finishing to do, and a scarf. I'm a knitting slut.

But I have finished a few things so far this year so I'm gonna post them and make myself feel better.

My handspun cowl - really proud of this one - the pattern is "Inspira Cowl", and it's free:

My first socks of this year - pattern is "Shartu'gal", also free and pretty neat, although I guess it got a bit lost in this insane yarn:

And here's some socks I knit all the way at the beginning of last year and didn't finish weaving in the ends on till now (didn't stop me from wearing them a time or two, ha)

"Circle socks":

and "Harvest Dew" (this is a great pattern for wild yarns):

And here's my East Meets West bag, which is probably going to take all year and then some to finish - the cast on is 450 motherfucking stitches:

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Love the colors and the start of the color work pattern on that bag. Blues and greens are my favorite!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh man, so many socks. I need to knit more socks. And that handspun looks wonderful. I'm so jealous. Right now I'm just working on the endless lace shawl for my mother's birthday--I remembered two days ago that I need to get that finished before the end of the month. I can be monogamous to one project for 26 days. Right? Right?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Oh man, so many socks. I need to knit more socks. And that handspun looks wonderful. I'm so jealous. Right now I'm just working on the endless lace shawl for my mother's birthday--I remembered two days ago that I need to get that finished before the end of the month. I can be monogamous to one project for 26 days. Right? Right?

I have faith in you!

And I definitely don't have a wadded up shawl that I started in 2010 in a ziplock bag in my closet!

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I have one pound of variegated sock yarn, no idea what to do with it. Any one have any great pattern ideas?

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Yarn! posted:

I have one pound of variegated sock yarn, no idea what to do with it. Any one have any great pattern ideas?

Swatch out a boat load of different stitch patterns, see what you like that works with it, then incorporate it into a basic pattern.

Check Ravelry for that colorway and see what other patterns worked well with it.

Strand(?) it with a solid coordinating color.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Yarn! posted:

Check out the patterns in One Skein Sock Yarn Wonders? With a pound, you could probably make one of everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My school got a pair of 3D printers. They will be available for student use in short order. My first thoughts on what to make? Sock Blockers. Because they're a nice, easy first project to render in 3D. After that we're gonna try Russian spindles and maybe straight needles that could be tips for the Chiao Goo interchangable set.