Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

HappyHelmet posted:

I've never needed the original. I just have a photo copy saved on a USB, and I've never had any trouble. I'd actually be kinda hosed if they did ask for the original because I don't have it, and I don't remember where it is even at.

I sold mine to a South African

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi islanders, how are you all doing? Enjoying quality air and antics of the Green/Blue debate? I'm setting up a internet goon meet this thursday 730pm playing some civ 5. We made a goon docs and apparently some taiwan goon inserted him self in. Which means join the fold :china: Or at least you guys can join in and taunt us mainlanders with your island betel nut paradise.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_-L8ioMQ71dEs4V1o4M0x2WFpxSVlkYmVZbjhsc3c#gid=0

just curious, what's the chat program of taiwan? line/wechat/kakao? I will shoot you all if you say whatsapp.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Hi islanders, how are you all doing? Enjoying quality air and antics of the Green/Blue debate? I'm setting up a internet goon meet this thursday 730pm playing some civ 5. We made a goon docs and apparently some taiwan goon inserted him self in. Which means join the fold :china: Or at least you guys can join in and taunt us mainlanders with your island betel nut paradise.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_-L8ioMQ71dEs4V1o4M0x2WFpxSVlkYmVZbjhsc3c#gid=0

just curious, what's the chat program of taiwan? line/wechat/kakao? I will shoot you all if you say whatsapp.

Line's popular, but you better start stockpiling ammo.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

How do you Taiwan goons get (paid) apps if you're on an Android device? Do you just acquire them through other means? Is there another Android store you can use? Do you just fake-out your phones and make them think you're in basically any other territory?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

How do you Taiwan goons get (paid) apps if you're on an Android device? Do you just acquire them through other means? Is there another Android store you can use? Do you just fake-out your phones and make them think you're in basically any other territory?
Maybe make a account based on another country(probably home country)? There's also Amazon.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I'm pretty sure the play store does location based on sim card. So even using a VPN doesn't work.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

How do you Taiwan goons get (paid) apps if you're on an Android device?
You don't. In theory. At least not from the Play store. I know the Samsung store will sell you apps though.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Pop in a card from :911: or your country of choice. I've bought Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne this way.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Can't you just wi-fi that poo poo? I guess remove SIM card first if necessary? Not talking from experience, as I only really got free poo poo for a crappy tablet I was testing years ago, but I'm pretty sure I got the apps from the US store(as well as amazon).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have spent a great deal of time on a non-rooted Android trying to find a workaround to the Taiwan lockout. Amazon works if you set your billing address to the US. Play simply won't let you do it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Can't you just wi-fi that poo poo? I guess remove SIM card first if necessary? Not talking from experience, as I only really got free poo poo for a crappy tablet I was testing years ago, but I'm pretty sure I got the apps from the US store(as well as amazon).
For what it's worth, it's still fre only even for tablets without SIMs at all, going by my Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
In about a week I'm leaving for Taiwan to work for three weeks, can I be lazy and rely on English for getting around when not on the job? I'll be in Taichung and I'm not entirely sure if I should get a phrasebook and study some basics.

Also how old is the OP? No bars seems like a boring three weeks :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You should be able to get by on just English when not on the job. A phrase book might be handy if it has the written Chinese characters (traditional!) included with the phrase. If you haven't studied Chinese, I can't imagine reading from a phrase book and actually saying anything intelligible.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Pvt Dancer posted:

In about a week I'm leaving for Taiwan to work for three weeks, can I be lazy and rely on English for getting around when not on the job? I'll be in Taichung and I'm not entirely sure if I should get a phrasebook and study some basics.

Also how old is the OP? No bars seems like a boring three weeks :(

I'd recommend getting acquainted with the words for whichever meats you like as well as rice/noodles. That way should you find yourself in a situation where English fails you'll at least have a vague idea of the animal your eating. Mostly you should be fine though. The locals in Taichung are pretty accommodating most of the time.

As for bars... well the selection still isn't great, but over the last 5-6 months things have finally started approaching where they were. There are several clubs now if that is your thing, but if you like smaller more "divish" bars things are still a bit bleak. Which hotel will you be staying at? I might be able to help you out.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, leaving in a week for three weeks work in Taiwan? Doesn't that overlap with Chinese New Year?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, leaving in a week for three weeks work in Taiwan? Doesn't that overlap with Chinese New Year?

It definitely does.

CNY is February 10th, but most people should have Feb. 9-15th off from work, give or take a few days on either end. In fact, many factories are shut down for 2-3 weeks over CNY.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

HappyHelmet posted:

I'd recommend getting acquainted with the words for whichever meats you like as well as rice/noodles. That way should you find yourself in a situation where English fails you'll at least have a vague idea of the animal your eating. Mostly you should be fine though. The locals in Taichung are pretty accommodating most of the time.

As for bars... well the selection still isn't great, but over the last 5-6 months things have finally started approaching where they were. There are several clubs now if that is your thing, but if you like smaller more "divish" bars things are still a bit bleak. Which hotel will you be staying at? I might be able to help you out.

It's the Evergreen Laurel Hotel at Táizhōnggǎng Road. Not so much clubs, but having a place to get a drink other than the hotel bar would be nice :)

And yeah, my last week there is right in the Chinese New Year. It's mostly due to my cultural ignorance when planning this trip, but my client was hoping to limit its contractors to a 3 day holiday so it may not be that bad. I'm not too worried about it, if can work from my hotel if I need to.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Who's up for a monthly poker night during the week? First Wednesday at 7:30? I can't host (shoebox apartment) but hell I'd be satisfied holding it in a 7-11.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
url was just messaging me about something like that.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
6 feb at 19:30 ... I'm down

I'll happily host in my apartment (not central), but, the advantage is we can drink and smoke.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Pvt Dancer posted:

It's the Evergreen Laurel Hotel at Táizhōnggǎng Road. Not so much clubs, but having a place to get a drink other than the hotel bar would be nice :)

And yeah, my last week there is right in the Chinese New Year. It's mostly due to my cultural ignorance when planning this trip, but my client was hoping to limit its contractors to a 3 day holiday so it may not be that bad. I'm not too worried about it, if can work from my hotel if I need to.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I know where that hotel is. There is a VERY small cigar bar about 7~8 blocks from there called KC's (the concierge should be able to help you find it, if not I can try to explain), and they straight up make the best drinks I've had in Taiwan. Only problem is it's only open from like 3-10pm, and there are only like 4 seats in the place so plan on having to stand. It's worth it though. I recommend getting a martini followed by a nice scotch, very classy.

Besides that place there is a small Spanish themed place near there called La Bodega that has pretty decent Sangria (for Taiwan). And a handful of other places I've never been to, but the concierge can help you out with.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I would love to play poker if it wasn't on Wednesday, I have my very worst class then!

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Doesn't have to be a Wednesay, Tuesday/Thursday work just as well, we could even do Monday. I just wanted to avoid the weekends since 1) people have poo poo going on and getting even a semi-consistent game would be impossible and 2) it's nice to have something in the middle of the week that isn't work.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HappyHelmet posted:

Besides that place there is a small Spanish themed place near there called La Bodega that has pretty decent Sangria (for Taiwan). And a handful of other places I've never been to, but the concierge can help you out with.

I concur with La Bodega. Super nice place and one of the better places to watch soccer if you're interested in that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am starting to see the appeal of Gaoliang. It makes Taiwan Class taste really loving amazing.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Greetings, fellow goons, from the harmonious harmony of the glorious mainland. My wife and I have been living in Beijing since last July teaching English speaking/writing and U.S. history for Tsinghua University's Study Abroad International Program. We visited Taipei in October and really liked it there, so we're considering a move across the Strait this fall to mix it up a bit. The wife will be starting graduate school in America in the fall of 2014, so we'll have about a year to spend in Taiwan if we pull the trigger.

Her Mandarin is rudimentary but okay for day-to-day stuff (she studied it in college), but mine is really fledgling (just what I've picked up since being here -- I studied Latin in college because hey that's useful right?). I'd really like to take formal classes and delve into the language. Any advice about that? I've done a little poking around for scholarships and there seems to be money lying around.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
Okay, here goes some extreme randomness.. I'm trying to find the name/webpage of a cafe I went to in Taipei....

There was this cafe on the side or corner approaching the big round about near fuxin station coming from the south. It was a cute girly looking place that had like a victorian influenced 1950's american diner feel to it on the interior. I remember a light aqua blue being a major color element.

Does anyone know this place?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

dtb posted:

Okay, here goes some extreme randomness.. I'm trying to find the name/webpage of a cafe I went to in Taipei....

There was this cafe on the side or corner approaching the big round about near fuxin station coming from the south. It was a cute girly looking place that had like a victorian influenced 1950's american diner feel to it on the interior. I remember a light aqua blue being a major color element.

I know the area, but I am way to lazy to engage my brain (it's Sunday).

Google's street view is pretty comprehensive and relatively up-to-date, did you try and navigate around to the place you are thinking of?

Also: lol - webpage!!!
As if a company in one of the leading tech districts in the world would have one of those.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

blinkyzero posted:

Greetings, fellow goons, from the harmonious harmony of the glorious mainland. My wife and I have been living in Beijing since last July teaching English speaking/writing and U.S. history for Tsinghua University's Study Abroad International Program. We visited Taipei in October and really liked it there, so we're considering a move across the Strait this fall to mix it up a bit. The wife will be starting graduate school in America in the fall of 2014, so we'll have about a year to spend in Taiwan if we pull the trigger.

Her Mandarin is rudimentary but okay for day-to-day stuff (she studied it in college), but mine is really fledgling (just what I've picked up since being here -- I studied Latin in college because hey that's useful right?). I'd really like to take formal classes and delve into the language. Any advice about that? I've done a little poking around for scholarships and there seems to be money lying around.

Shida is probably the best known language program out here for foreigners, but there are a handful of others. dtb was in a different one and we previously discussed the merits of that versus the Shida courses.

Mook
Sep 24, 2002

caberham posted:

How do you even use google docs in mainland china? I was just there and had all sorts of issues connecting.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Proxies, maybe?

Until recently MSN was the dominant chat platform in Taiwan. Now I think Skype and Facebook seem to be taking over that role.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Haraksha posted:

Shida is probably the best known language program out here for foreigners, but there are a handful of others. dtb was in a different one and we previously discussed the merits of that versus the Shida courses.

Is that discussion in the archived thread? I searched through this one and didn't find anything.

However, thanks for leading me to Shida. I did some digging and found the university's Mandarin Training Center, which seems to have both a pretty good reputation and exactly the kind of classes I'm looking for. The Ministry of Education's Mandarin enrichment scholarship looks nice, too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

blinkyzero posted:

Is that discussion in the archived thread? I searched through this one and didn't find anything.

I actually think the meat of it occurred in the Chinese Language Megathread, but I think the sum of it was about the merits of zhuyin versus pinyin and the necessity of learning one over the other.

The consensus seems to be that zhuyin may very well give you a more accurate phonetic representation of Chinese and pinyin can be confusing to native English speakers if they don't remember that letters are pronounced differently between English and pinyin. However, it's much faster to start using pinyin than it is to spend the time learning zhuyin and more material is written for foreigners in pinyin than in zhuyin, which seems to be focused mostly on Taiwanese native Chinese speakers.

Part of the conversation was also on Facebook and it would take forever to track that down. If I recall correctly, dtb wasn't actually very happy with the Chinese program he was in, but he was not in the Shida program. I can't remember all the details though, something about bad professors.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2013

Mook
Sep 24, 2002

blinkyzero posted:

However, thanks for leading me to Shida. I did some digging and found the university's Mandarin Training Center, which seems to have both a pretty good reputation and exactly the kind of classes I'm looking for. The Ministry of Education's Mandarin enrichment scholarship looks nice, too.

If you need a visa from your chinese program then your options are basically NTU, NTNU, NCCU

MTC @ Shida(NTNU)
http://www.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/mtcweb/

CLD @ TAIDA (NTU)
http://homepage.ntu.edu.tw/~cld222/en/news.htm

CLC@ CHENDA (NCCU):
http://mandarin.nccu.edu.tw/english/

I recommend Taida, I studied there for 6 months, 2 years ago and the class sizes were small, mostly japanese students, there was also much less of a party atmosphere than Taida. Anecdotally, Everyone I that I've met that studied at Shida has poo poo chinese.

If you don't need a visa (if you're working or something) then I would recommend 中華文化大學 for part time classes. http://mlc.sce.pccu.edu.tw/default.asp?lang=en

They are most flexible about class schedules, etc.

All the programs pretty much use the same books and materials, your individual teacher will really be the determining factor as well as your own commitment.

Mook
Sep 24, 2002

Haraksha posted:

I actually think the meat of it occurred in the Chinese Language Megathread, but I think the sum of it was about the merits of zhuyin versus pinyin and the necessity of learning one over the other.

The consensus seems to be that zhuyin may very well give you a more accurate phonetic representation of Chinese and pinyin can be confusing to native English speakers if they don't remember that letters are pronounced differently between English and pinyin. However, it's much faster to start using pinyin than it is to spend the time learning zhuyin and more material is written for foreigners in pinyin than in zhuyin, which seems to be focused mostly on Taiwanese native Chinese speakers.

Part of the conversation was also on Facebook and it would take forever to track that down. If I recall correctly, dtb wasn't actually very happy with the Chinese program he was in, but he was not in the Shida program. I can't remember all the details though, something about bad professors.

In my opinion it's basically useless to learn. I learned it, and i've basically forgotten it all because it was completely useless. The only uses I've ever had for it are:

1. reading really young kid's books (they have zhuyin on the side of characters to teach you) but honestly I find reading kids books a boring and lovely way to learn characters.
2. if I take a coworker's phone/computer and want to type chinese, in which case I just use the handwriting ime or add a pinyin keyboard
3.... can't really think of anything else.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

url posted:

I know the area, but I am way to lazy to engage my brain (it's Sunday).

Google's street view is pretty comprehensive and relatively up-to-date, did you try and navigate around to the place you are thinking of?

Also: lol - webpage!!!
As if a company in one of the leading tech districts in the world would have one of those.

Yea I poked around for a little bit but couldn't find it....

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Thanks guys, great advice. I know of zhuyin but have been using pinyin for my self-study these last few months, so I'll likely stick with that. I have heard zhuyin's the fastest way to text in Chinese, though.

Interesting anecdote about Shida students, Mook. I've read a few blogs from people who went there and they say that the intensive courses have far fewer people just screwing around. I'll do some more digging and definitely check out those other programs.

I'd probably need a visa. I'd like to avoid having to work while I'm there, as would my wife. We'll see.

Anyone have experience with the Ministry of Education scholarships (http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=6777&CtNode=10634&mp=2&1=1#tabindex_10634)? That's a pretty good enticement. It's not a lot of money, but from what I've read and the little I experienced of Taipei, it seems like it would be enough (especially if we bring some cash with us and both get the scholarship).

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

...If I recall correctly, dtb wasn't actually very happy with the Chinese program he was in, but he was not in the Shida program. I can't remember all the details though, something about bad professors.

My thoughts on Shida where here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470468&pagenumber=35&perpage=40#post408761232

The advice I would give after my time at Shida was that no one is going to teach you Chinese, it is up to you to learn it.
I had a very bad teacher who made it frustrating to go to class, so I just stopped going. I was in the intensive class and all of us really wanted to learn, but it just wasn't going to happen with that teacher. I keep in touch with my former classmates though and they say things are a lot better now in new semesters with new teachers. They all also dropped out of the intensive and went to regular. Basically with intensive you got a lot of homework and no time to study, where as regular you didn't get as much homework and had more time to take advantage of the facilities beyond the teacher.. And since the teacher was poo poo, and it's up to you to teach yourself (=homework doesn't help 'learn')....... People didn't learn any more in intense than they did in regular and the regular people had a lot less stress in their lives. Regular is also negligibly cheaper.

But, of course, your millage may vary.
I graduated a Japanese university and had lived in Japan for 10 years prior to starting Chinese so I had a huge advantage with the characters.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, so you were in Shida. I'm so used to calling it that that I forget the actual name is NTNU. My mistake. That makes it even more baffling that the professors wanted you to learn zhuyin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

dtb posted:

My guess based on the color is Jeans Bar Cafe, but I remember that place as being kinda whatever because the food was just okay and the waiter was usually busy flirting with some other customers. It's been a while since I went though(back when they opened more or less), so I don't know if it's any better or worse now.

Otherwise, maybe Dazzling Cafe, but their color scheme is more black/white/pink than blue. Good honey toast dessert there, which is their main specialty I think.

RE: zhuyin/pinyin talk - zhuyin can be nice because it takes you completely out of western script because people are loving horrible about pronouncing words as they read them instead of for what sounds they're supposed to represent(like people with Japanese, which is the easiest loving thing and yet it's somehow difficult for people to not sound like poo poo?), and I suppose you could use a bunch of local teaching books and readers(way more readers). Also, it's useful for typing when using other people's computers without having to change settings on them. For accelerated study at the adult level though, I do think pinyin would be much faster, especially for starting out.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 21, 2013