Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

sw1gger posted:

I'd fix the red/magenta feet in the first one. Otherwise, well shot.

Second one is lit and processed well, but for future baby shoots you may want to consider putting the baby's right arm UNDER their cheek/chin. This would have allowed you to see the whole face, versus having it partially blocked by the arm. Source: I've photographed hundreds of babies. Judging from the size of the kid, I'd place them at around 3 months or younger (though I wouldn't be surprised if they were a newborn,but my god, what a huge baby then). After about two weeks of age, it becomes harder and harder to pose them as they sleep, so this could have very well been your issue here.

To contribute:

Haha she's actually only 10 days old there and about 7lbs. I have a bunch with her positioned a bit more traditionally/clearly but I took this one as we were waiting for her to fall asleep and she gave this little smile. My biggest issue with this one was space. We were very limited in what we could work with so I have a ton of pretty close up shots and I would have liked the variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

Haha she's actually only 10 days old there and about 7lbs. I have a bunch with her positioned a bit more traditionally/clearly but I took this one as we were waiting for her to fall asleep and she gave this little smile. My biggest issue with this one was space. We were very limited in what we could work with so I have a ton of pretty close up shots and I would have liked the variety.

I had meant to reply to you - just want to say I'm really impressed with how much better you've gotten since you first started posting. These pics are great! You should be really proud of your progress.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

There is Something Predatory in the Act of Taking a Picture by McMadCow, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Are we taking bets on how long before the image on the left shows up in an anti-/pro- racism image?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

thetzar posted:

Are we taking bets on how long before the image on the left shows up in an anti-/pro- racism image?

I expressed my concerns to my professor beforehand. I've been using women arms to touch the women models in this project, and I wanted to use a guy's hands for men. The only problem is I'm new here and I don't know anyone with, ummm, matching colored hands. She said it's probably even better, because it shows the concept but then obviously brings up some other issues. I guess we'll see! :v:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

I had meant to reply to you - just want to say I'm really impressed with how much better you've gotten since you first started posting. These pics are great! You should be really proud of your progress.

Thanks, man. I'm constantly trying to improve so that's encouraging to hear :)

Looking back on some of my earlier stuff makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking.

McMadCow posted:

I expressed my concerns to my professor beforehand. I've been using women arms to touch the women models in this project, and I wanted to use a guy's hands for men. The only problem is I'm new here and I don't know anyone with, ummm, matching colored hands. She said it's probably even better, because it shows the concept but then obviously brings up some other issues. I guess we'll see! :v:

Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of your new stuff as well. Always liked your work, but this new series is really cool.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

I like the level of detail in each of these photos. But quick question - did you have a specific reason for having a really white background? Was it required or...? Not to say I don't think you made the right choice, just wondered. I'd definitely be curious to see the photo with a more defined background (even if it's bokeh'd out or something like a brick wall).

Just finished!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

sw1gger posted:

I like the level of detail in each of these photos. But quick question - did you have a specific reason for having a really white background? Was it required or...? Not to say I don't think you made the right choice, just wondered. I'd definitely be curious to see the photo with a more defined background (even if it's bokeh'd out or something like a brick wall).

Just finished!

Nice color as always. Not a fan of the whole "coopting and undermining already heavily marginalized cultures" thing. Yeah the war bonnet looks cool, but it's insanely disrespectful to what it is supposed to represent and I don't think its use as nothing more than an aesthetic object is justifiable.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

sw1gger posted:

Just finished!

I've only been shooting for about a year, so anything I say can be freely disregarded. With that in mind is there some distortion in the photo, or does that girl have like a negative value for a waist? Something just seems off.

For review, here's a pic I took last year. After reading the thread I realize I should have either been farther away from the black sheet background...or ironed the drat thing. And I know it's not quite a proper portrait, but drat if it doesn't make me laugh every time I look at it.

Edit:^^^^^^ I was actually going to bring up the whole white girl in native american garb, but decided against it.

DE: Grammer

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 18, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Nice color as always. Not a fan of the whole "coopting and undermining already heavily marginalized cultures" thing. Yeah the war bonnet looks cool, but it's insanely disrespectful to what it is supposed to represent and I don't think its use as nothing more than an aesthetic object is justifiable.

The photo's good, the morality ain't.

Let's just leave it at that :)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

The photo's good, the morality ain't.

Let's just leave it at that :)

Fair point.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I've only been shooting for about a year, so anything I say can be freely disregarded. With that in mind is there some distortion in the photo, or does that girl have like a negative value for a waist? Something just seems off.

Really skinny.

Thanks, and yeah - I get your point. Without making this into a huge debate, I think the bottom line for me is that most (read: all) cultures are marginalized in varying degrees when it comes to the different forms of (mainstream or otherwise) media out there. Turn on the TV and you'll see touchy/goofy Catholic priests, dumb Southerners, blonde bimbos, smart asians, etc. All of this stuff is marginalizing the values behind the characters they represent. And while I know the history of Native Americans was particularly bloody, I can probably find you a group of people that would be offended with ANY of the photographs I've taken. In this instance, at least I can argue I'm marginalizing it towards something that evokes beauty (hopefully). If you want to bring in analogies, would you be offended with a hot chick in an American soldier outfit wearing dogtags or a general's uniform?

TL/DR? I'm an rear end in a top hat. :(

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Thank you everybody for being very civil and whatnot, but as of this post we ain't gonna be discussing any marginalization / cultural appropriation issues related to that photo.

For the record, I think that's an excellent photograph.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

For the record, I think that's an excellent photograph.

It certainly is.

E: For content here's a stupid floating head picture I took of my sister that was actually a test shot while doing family portraits for my mom over Christmas that I liked the lighting on and just edited until I felt like I had already ruined it but still liked the neutral expression and dramatic lighting. I don't know man. I do so many "normal" edits for work that I think I get too weird on my personal stuff because I'm bored.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 18, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

It certainly is.

E: For content here's a stupid floating head picture I took of my sister that was actually a test shot while doing family portraits for my mom over Christmas that I liked the lighting on and just edited until I felt like I had already ruined it but still liked the neutral expression and dramatic lighting. I don't know man. I do so many "normal" edits for work that I think I get too weird on my personal stuff because I'm bored.

I think I kinda see what you were going for here, and I like it, but there's just a little TOO much empty space om the bottom right. Some is good, that much? I'm not sure. It just makes it feel sorta unbalanced.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Basically my thoughts.

Controlling your shadows in the non dominant eye would go a ways to make your portrait less unsettling 8)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 18, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Controlling your shadows in the non dominant eye would go a ways to make your portrait less unsettling 8)

That's a damned good point, actually.

...wait, did you just make a good post? I don't even know what to think anymore.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Thank you for the advice, sirs. I really love negative space for some reason that I can't explain, which usually leads to me using it even when it adds nothing to the image. How's the balance here?

evil_bunnY posted:

I like the unsettling nature, actually. It's why I attempted to make the visible eye so prominent. I have some photos with this same pose/expression and actual fill on the opposing side and don't like them at all. The lighting is probably the only thing I like about the photo, honestly, and mostly because it's so incongruous with the expression and pose. She's so neutral and docile looking, but the lighting is really stark and almost sinister. I like the contrast.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

...wait, did you just make a good post? I don't even know what to think anymore.
SHUT UP I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Thank you for the advice, sirs. I really love negative space for some reason that I can't explain, which usually leads to me using it even when it adds nothing to the image. How's the balance here?

I like the unsettling nature, actually. It's why I attempted to make the visible eye so prominent. I have some photos with this same pose/expression and actual fill on the opposing side and don't like them at all. The lighting is probably the only thing I like about the photo, honestly, and mostly because it's so incongruous with the expression and pose. She's so neutral and docile looking, but the lighting is really stark and almost sinister. I like the contrast.

I think the negative space is neat, keeps the portrait simple. I wish the other eye (well not only the eye, the whole face) was lighted up, maybe add in a reflector next time?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

As xenilk said, it would be nice to see the other side of her face. And it seems like her posture could be a little better. It looks to me like she is slouching a bit. Otherwise I do like the contrast a lot.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

sw1gger posted:

The white background isn't required for the concept, it's more of a byproduct of this setup. I wanted the fist close-in to his face and so I used a long lens to keep everything isolated. Also he's tall, so the camera was looking up a bit. He's actually on a road surrounded by trees which throw some tone up there on frame right. I have another 3/4 length shot that's getting posted soon and you can see all this because I went with a normal lens. This project is (so far) about the subject and photographer, but I'm not opposed to the subject living in their space.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

sw1gger posted:

Just finished!

Would you mind sharing how you process these? I really like the colors and graininess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

somnambulist posted:

Would you mind sharing how you process these? I really like the colors and graininess.

I wouldn't mind too for that matter.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Initial thought: Nice!
Second thought: What the hell did you do to her body?

x-post from PAD
These guys got married (eloped, courtroom)! This was directly after the marriage while walking to get some pizza and wine.

No control over location or time, kind of upset the top of her dress is so blown out.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

sw1gger posted:

Just finished!

I agree, I really like the colours but her body is really throwing me off. She looks like one of those stretch toys from the 80s.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Oprah Haza posted:

Initial thought: Nice!
Second thought: What the hell did you do to her body?

x-post from PAD
These guys got married (eloped, courtroom)! This was directly after the marriage while walking to get some pizza and wine.

No control over location or time, kind of upset the top of her dress is so blown out.

Did you spot meter on her dress? I think you're being hard on yourself tho, they must be pleased with their shots.

Few shots from a studio shoot I did a few weeks back.

IMG_3846 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3806 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3896 by avoyer, on Flickr

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
Her eyes are mesmerizing.... I like the ones with her in stripes from your flickr too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've suddenly picked up a couple of jobs shooting babies. One will be 3 weeks old, the other around 10 months old.

Any tips so I don't completely gently caress things up? What the hell can you do with a baby so young?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

psylent posted:

I've suddenly picked up a couple of jobs shooting babies. One will be 3 weeks old, the other around 10 months old.

Any tips so I don't completely gently caress things up? What the hell can you do with a baby so young?

Don't use an assault rifle we already have enough issues with gun control.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

somnambulist posted:

Yes please.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

psylent posted:

I've been taking baby photos for about 6 months now. 3 weeks old is nearly as young as mothers will venture to a photography studio for. I've taken a week and a half before, but that was only once. There isn't much they can do in terms of expressions. The best you can do is make natural looking poses with eye contact. They aren't going to smile at that age. The three poses that I always do is on their back, on their side, and on their stomach. Everything is a variation of what I said. You can do some sitting if you have the proper supports to do it, but it almost always ends up with the baby slinking down into an awkward lay with their head uncomfortably propped up. So don't spend too much time on that if it doesn't work the first time.

At three weeks old, they can't focus on anything much more than a foot or two away, or the distance from a mother to the child while breastfeeding. So you have three options which you probably have to try all of: Getting very close, making sounds, or using touch to influence the baby where to look. I generally use the first two in combination. Touch only works rarely for me. When the infant looks at the camera take the shot. Don't hesitate because you have about 20-30 minutes to work with (give or take depending on the infant) before they become uncomfortable or do the opposite and start falling asleep. Feel free to tell mom to move the kid's head around if they aren't looking in the direction you want. Also position yourself in front of the baby's gaze if they refuse to look at you. Sometimes that works out, sometimes.

10 months is easy, it's right around the butter age for babies. Baby talk, peekaboo, and silly noises will get them smiling and looking at you. But make sure you get a good first impression. If the baby decides that you aren't a person they want to be around, the session is over. So if they make eye contact with you make sure to engage them with a friendly demeanor. Questions like "What are you doing?" and "Can I see a smile?" or general observations of what they are doing is enough to make them smile. A 10 month old should be crawling around, and able to sit up. Depending on how advanced they are, they might be able to stand by leaning on something or in rare instances (once in my 6 month career so far) standing on their own. Make sure you ask mom what they can do before starting so you have a bag of poses you know you can try. You have about an hour with a 10 month old before they either get upset or bored of engaging you.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 19, 2013

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

somnambulist posted:

Thirding this.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

More from my shoot last week. This guy was pretty awesome.

Finishing Touch by McMadCow, on Flickr

Guidance by McMadCow, on Flickr

And color shots from a couple weeks back:

Sara by McMadCow, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

McMadCow posted:

I knew I wasnt the only one who liked taking shots of the assistants helping the model! I like those :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

rcman50166 posted:

incredibly helpful information
Thanks so much! Can I see some samples of your work? :)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Lizette by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Lizette2 by xxyzx road, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 21, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

psylent posted:

Thanks so much! Can I see some samples of your work? :)

I'll see what I can do. All of my work is at the studio.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Shameless crosspost from PAD.

Had access to a studio for 2 days.... miraculously managed to have it fully booked. Here are some random quick compilation.

Before-After-Annie by avoyer, on Flickr

Before-After-Kim by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4341 by avoyer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Glad to see you shooting in color! I like the diptychs a lot.