Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cemetry Gator posted:

As Bill McNeal once said: "Don't try and confuse me with the facts."

:rolleyes:

Here's some facts:

November and December are, almost without exception, by far the two biggest months of the year for hardware sales.

In the US the Wii and 360 both sold roughly the same amount in their first January + February + March as in their first November + December, the PS3 sold about 72% as much in Jan/Feb/Mar as Nov/Dec. I can't find the Media Create or European numbers for those same time periods, but if anyone can find them I'd be curious to see if they're similar.

Nintendo predicted they would sell 5.5 million Wii U's by April.

They sold 2 million Wii U units worldwide in November and December. Even if it follows the pattern that the Wii did and sells that many in the next 3 months (a big if considering there's almost nothing coming out until March) it will have sold 4 million units by April.

4 million is significantly less than 5.5 million.

I mean, just the fact that Nintendo had to try and spin the December numbers by trying to convince people that revenue was the only metric that mattered (despite the fact that unlike the Wii they take a small loss on every Wii U) should let you know that the launch isn't going as well as they wanted.

But whatever! I hope the Wii U ends up selling gangbusters and getting a lot of cool games because I'm getting one in a couple of weeks and I want more stuff to play on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

You could also combine the P-wing with a found Tanooki suit to have free-flying Tanooki :eng101:

Was there any benefit to the tanooki suit over the regular leaf powerup?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobnumerotres posted:

Was there any benefit to the tanooki suit over the regular leaf powerup?

Down + B transforms you into a statue as long as you hold those buttons down. You're invincible, but immobile.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Alright, got my copy of Xenoblade! Did they design this around a Wiimote/Nunchuk setup, or should I buy a Classic Controller to get the most out of it?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
RE: Mario powerups

Where the hell is Kuribo's Shoe? They've been holding back the greatest 2d Mario powerup for like 20 years. If they had put it into the NSMB series I would have been far more interested in it :colbert:

Minidust posted:

Alright, got my copy of Xenoblade! Did they design this around a Wiimote/Nunchuk setup, or should I buy a Classic Controller to get the most out of it?

I found it easier to play on a 360 controller/classic controller.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Minidust posted:

You can use either! I use the Classic controller, personally, but some folks here swear by the 'mote/nunchuk setup. Try both and see which you prefer.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Minidust posted:

I started with remote and nunchuck and never once felt the desire to try anything else. It just works!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Well I don't actually have a Classic Controller yet so this is good news. Thanks gentlemen!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Minidust posted:

Well I don't actually have a Classic Controller yet so this is good news. Thanks gentlemen!

The Wiimote/nunchuk set up lets you easily move around while selecting skills, while you have to position your hand really awkwardly if you wanna move and pick attacks while playing with the CC.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Crowbear posted:

Where the hell is Kuribo's Shoe? They've been holding back the greatest 2d Mario powerup for like 20 years. If they had put it into the NSMB series I would have been far more interested in it :colbert:

It's not quite the same thing, but Kirby's Return to Dreamland on the Wii had a Kuribo's Shoe of its own.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I agree that Kuribo's Shoe is one of the greatest power-up's of all time but the Hammer Bros. Suit from the same game is my all time favourite from the Mario Series.

Maybe that's because it's also pretty rare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

I found it easier to play on a 360 controller/classic controller.

Wait, can you use the 360 controller on the Wii U? If so that's really cool and kind of progressive for Nintendo. I really want to like this thing but I can't see any reason to think it won't be as disappointing as the Wii was for me. The little kid who grew up on Nintendo in me still wants to root for them even though they've been fairly consistently not meeting expectations for like, 6 years. I guess Pokemon X and Y have tricked me into buying a 3DS eventually, so that's something to their credit I suppose. The upcoming release schedule for Wii U looks pretty grim, I will have to continue waiting to see if any games I want to buy are ever released.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Khanstant posted:

Wait, can you use the 360 controller on the Wii U? If so that's really cool and kind of progressive for Nintendo.

Nope, sorry. I played Xenoblade using a 360 controller with Dolphin on my PC.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Blah blah

Who the gently caress cares?

Console sales don't mean good games. Dreamcast sold like poo poo and had a ton of awesome games. If anything, that's what people should be complaining about. Where are the games? The Mario game owned, but I need something else to sink my teeth into.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Who the gently caress cares?

Console sales don't mean good games. Dreamcast sold like poo poo and had a ton of awesome games. If anything, that's what people should be complaining about. Where are the games? The Mario game owned, but I need something else to sink my teeth into.

If the Dreamcast sold better it probably would have had even more awesome games :confused: More sales = more good 3rd party games, exclusive or otherwise.

But yes. The only game I even remotely care about before the end of March is Rayman. It's pretty sad.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

If the Dreamcast sold better it probably would have had even more awesome games :confused: More sales = more good 3rd party games, exclusive or otherwise.

But yes. The only game I even remotely care about before the end of March is Rayman. It's pretty sad.

Meh. I'd take the Dreamcast and its entire library over the Wii's any day. Console sales mean poo poo to me as a consumer. I only give a gently caress about the games. I really wish Rayman didn't get pushed back. Too many people bitching about the whole Murphy thing. Its literally the best loving part about the drat thing. My wife and I were having a blast during the demo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Down + B transforms you into a statue as long as you hold those buttons down. You're invincible, but immobile.

The statue form can drop on, and kill, normally invincible enemies, including thwomps, spinning shiney discs, and even fire from flame cannons.

Crowbear posted:

More sales = more good 3rd party games, exclusive or otherwise.

Yes, we all remember the Wii's huge library of third party blockbusters such as

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 18, 2013

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Chronojam posted:

Jerry Rice and Nitus Dog Football
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tYUsN28XBM

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

Balls of Fury

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Wii had... other issues.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

The Wii was very special. The people on it that wanted "real games" and such always turned out to be a loud minority when amazing games actually did come out. Lower development costs than the other consoles and the kid appeal led to tons of budget-priced shovelware for ignorant parents to pick up. 5-year old hardware at launch meant all the games on the HD consoles were very expensive or outright impossible to downport.

Software sales on it were just bizarre though. The highest selling game that wasn't a pack-in or bundled with a Wiimote was Mario Kart Wii, outselling pretty much every other "real" game by tens of millions, including NSMB.

Wii U has a good online infrastructure, powerful components, etc. that solves all the limitations the Wii had. But since it actually is expensive to develop and port to, the numbers matter many times more now.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 18, 2013

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
The Wii needed more games like Muscle March.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CousinKevin posted:

The Wii needed more games like Muscle March.

Agreed.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I had no idea what Muscle March was so I looked it up and let me just say :stonk:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Wii was very special. The people on it that wanted "real games" and such always turned out to be a loud minority when amazing games actually did come out. Lower development costs than the other consoles and the kid appeal led to tons of budget-priced shovelware for ignorant parents to pick up. 5-year old hardware at launch meant all the games on the HD consoles were very expensive or outright impossible to downport.

Software sales on it were just bizarre though. The highest selling game that wasn't a pack-in or bundled with a Wiimote was Mario Kart Wii, outselling pretty much every other "real" game by tens of millions, including NSMB.

Wii U has a good online infrastructure, powerful components, etc. that solves all the limitations the Wii had. But since it actually is expensive to develop and port to, the numbers matter many times more now.

I am not certain what about the WiiU makes it expensive to port for?

Also, not having games you're looking forward to in Q1 of MATURE consoles isn't even unusual, Crowbear. There's nothing I want to play on PS3 out 360 until March, either.

People seem really convinced this is something special about this particular launch. I guess they'll remember after next year when the new consoles are barren wastelands until Fall.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Mario Kart was a pack-in though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crowbear posted:

I had no idea what Muscle March was so I looked it up and let me just say :stonk:

You should play Cho Aniki.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Crowbear posted:

What is this? It looks amazing. I need it.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

What is this? It looks amazing. I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hcElGydzb8

For every question it answers, it creates two more.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Chronojam posted:

As someone who works for a 3rd Party publisher part of a group making determinations on what games to make for what platforms, I can say that the Wii was good to us as a platform. Just Dance was incredibly successful on it, and I think you'd be hard pressed to call it "shovelware", at least not JD3 and JD4 as the production values are quite high. It's just not a platform that worked for the kinds of 3rd Party games that people on this forum care about.

When determining what to make for a platform, there's two things I look at: install base and what type of games sell (well there's more than that but whatever). You need a large audience AND that audience should have proven (or you should have evidence) that they want to buy the type of game you want to make. At launch, it's tough because you really have no idea, so you do kind of a wide spread of titles, some hardcore (Red Steel, ZombiU) and some casual (Rabbids) and see what worked. Then continue down whichever path worked. If you look at the early years of the Wii you can see some attempts at hardcore 3rd party games but except for launch, not many sold, whereas the casual games sold like gangbusters, so publishers went that way.

I don't think you could find a publisher out there that was unhappy with their software sales, overall, on the Wii. Most of them got some pretty big hits out of it. Just nothing you care about.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hcElGydzb8

For every question it answers, it creates two more.

I have no words for what I've just seen. I've played many a strange videogame in my time, and I've seen videos of many more. Yet try as I might, all that is utterable by my stricken subconcious is an open-mouthed garbling of confused and startled syllables.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
What's so shocking to people about Muscle March?

You're hanging out with your musclebuddies and someone steals your protien powder.
Of course you have to chase them through walls to get it back by posing like them. Makes perfect sense to me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

That's pretty much the most straight-forward and logical game summary I've ever heard.

Makes infinitely more sense than Mario.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What have you guys never gone to YLLS? That shits pretty par for the course.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Brinty posted:

You're hanging out with your musclebuddies and someone steals your protien powder.
Of course you have to chase them through walls to get it back by posing like them. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's only January and we already have a strong candidate for post of the year.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

kirbysuperstar posted:

You should play Cho Aniki.

I've always meant to. That series looks hilarious.

theflyingorc posted:

I am not certain what about the WiiU makes it expensive to port for?

Also, not having games you're looking forward to in Q1 of MATURE consoles isn't even unusual, Crowbear. There's nothing I want to play on PS3 out 360 until March, either.

People seem really convinced this is something special about this particular launch. I guess they'll remember after next year when the new consoles are barren wastelands until Fall.

There's plenty of games for PS3/360 that I'm looking forward to. I have Ni No Kuni, Metal Gear Rising, Crysis 3, the new Sly Cooper, and Dead Space 3 on my list all before March.

e:

Brinty posted:

How did this not win every GOTY the year it came out?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 18, 2013

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I'm really enjoying Tekken Tag Tournament 2 so far. Also Warriors Orochi 3.

What's the Online scene like in TTT2? I might hop on and fight some dudes, it'll be nice if they're all not like crazy good because I'm not either and getting constantly stomped would be THE WORST.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Armillo: The Parallel Universe Mystery was announced yesterday for the eShop, and it looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. As long as the controls are tight, it should be a fun blend of Super Mario Galaxy and Monkey Ball.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

deadwing posted:

Armillo: The Parallel Universe Mystery was announced yesterday for the eShop, and it looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. As long as the controls are tight, it should be a fun blend of Super Mario Galaxy and Monkey Ball.

It looks like a gamecube game...

But it does look fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Crowbear posted:

:rolleyes:

Here's some facts:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I wasn't asking for facts. Allow me to introduce you to Newsradio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUNX7PTG8A&t=95s

You're welcome.

• Locked thread