Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Truth.

The best use for the Suzuki Gel Seat is to rip the cover and foam off and install aftermarket stuff on the pan. Thats what I plan to do. Thankfully my DRZ came with the stock seat as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I bought this thing a few weeks ago but didn't get to pull it out and ride it until today because of the weather. I put on the Acerbis handguards today as well. I'm having to re-learn how to ride this thing. It's hilariously fun.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I bought this thing a few weeks ago but didn't get to pull it out and ride it until today because of the weather. I put on the Acerbis handguards today as well. I'm having to re-learn how to ride this thing. It's hilariously fun.

Siiiick.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Do you want this:

It's like 600 pages, factory service manual. If you do, PM me your address, or email it to me at aylesworth @ google's mail service. Free of charge, free shipping before I leave my current job :woop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Today is National Install a Brembo Day!

Have you done your civic duty?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

Do you want this:

It's like 600 pages, factory service manual. If you do, PM me your address, or email it to me at aylesworth @ google's mail service. Free of charge, free shipping before I leave my current job :woop:

Holy balls, want. PM sent. Thank you so much! That is so loving rad. I'm going to dedicate my next 10 wheelies to you.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Rode a friends DRZ last summer and my god it put a smile on my face. So much so that I have been cross shopping DRZ/KTM 690 Enduro/Duke. The KTM is going to be a pain in maintenance plus a heck of a lot more on my insurance so it pretty much got nixed besides winning the lottery.

So I've decided sell my Ninja 650r this spring and going to a new DRZ so here's my shopping list so far:
-SSW/MRD exhaust
-JD jet kit (and do the 3x3 mod)
-Thumpertalk case shields
-Thumpertalk skid plate
-DRC edge2 tail light
-12oclock labs edge2 processor upgrade

Last thing to do is tidy up the front end and get some hand guards. I really would like to get rid of the oem front signals and use something like the Zeta with LED flashers but worried about visibility. Anyone run this same sort of setup or offer suggestions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well congrats, because the DRZ owns.

That shopping list looks fine, all well proven products. How big of a concern is noise to you? The MRD is apparently VERY loud, and unless you also plan to do an FCR carb and maybe big bore, you wont get everything out of it that you can. If you want to go quiet with that setup, go with the FMF Q4. If you dont care about noise, get the MRD because they are awesome pipes.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

The 650r has a Jardine GP1, it drowns out the MRD on my friends DRZ so it's thankfully quieter.

Good point about the loudness tho, after swapping to the GP1 it forced me to cruise at 2-3k in residential areas as the pipe has a bad bark to it. Went back to the OEM last year as it was just obscene. I really don't want to head down the same path again, perhaps the silencer is the best compromise as I can still pull it out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Viktor posted:

The KTM is going to be a pain in maintenance
No

Viktor posted:

plus a heck of a lot more on my insurance

Quite possibly

Don't get a fuckoff loud exhaust for your supermoto. You'll appreciate stealth every time you wheelie through a quiet little residential neighborhood and the friendly locals wave rather than rage

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

Don't get a fuckoff loud exhaust for your supermoto. You'll appreciate stealth every time you wheelie through a quiet little residential neighborhood and the friendly locals wave rather than rage

I wish this was true, I had a guy come to my in-laws (I go there every day for lunch) and bitch at me about "riding to fast" 30mph in a 25. I have a stock exhaust... I hope he chases the guy down on the ZX-14 that burns through daily at 65+ and bitches at him too.

*note: Now every time I see captain speed control I consider popping a wheelie. Just because...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Some people have already made up their minds. I know I got away with a lot on my 690 because it had the stock exhaust. It's also great to feel a bit stealthy, and to be honest on a SM you're going to be engaging in so many activities outside of the good graces of our great nations laws that flying under the radar as much as you can is a great idea. Part of what makes SMs innocent looking is the dual sport/dirt bike vibe that people think their innocent right off the bat. So if you don't make mountains of noise you can get away with a lot just by rolling by and giving a friendly wave.

It also helped that the KTM was basically a friendly giant orange traffic cone and everybody wanted to know more about it. The rest is just putting on a big smile and being the Friendly Neighborhood Supermoto.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Was just doing some research when my hand slipped and I accidentally ordered everything I need to Supermoto my new 450 XC-W. Track only for now, but I might plate it for giggles later since WA makes it a snap.

This is going to be retarded.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's an expensive twitch. I'm loving jealous though, that's for sure!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubsd8mlJigI

He's got the SUPERMOTO SPIRIT

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
My 690 is in bad need of some new rubber :ohdear:.

I honestly don't see myself doing any trackdays on it in 2013 (ok... maybe one) and I'm trying to decide on what type of tires to throw on there. It's got the OEM Pirelli's right now and they're completely toast.

From riding my old 625 w/ contiforce SM tires I'm well aware a more road oriented tread is still capable offroad but I'm looking for something that's a little more capable on gravel and dirt. What are people running for 80/20 road/dirt tires?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Default Distanzia recommendation?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Today is National Install a Brembo Day!

Have you done your civic duty?

Trip report: Lever feels squishier than the stock master, and has more travel, due to it being smaller (11mm vs 12.7 stock), but boy howdy does it make the stock caliper bite down hard with little effort at the lever. Dont get me wrong, the stock master could lock the front tire or send you over the bars if you asked it to, so I don't think overall braking power is any better with the brembo, its just more accessible. A slight squeeze results in a fast stop, slightly more squeeze results in an endo.

I've always argued that the DRZ brakes were good, and they are, this just takes that same good brake and makes it easier to access.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The new Conti SM tires are sublime.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

My 690 is in bad need of some new rubber :ohdear:.

I honestly don't see myself doing any trackdays on it in 2013 (ok... maybe one) and I'm trying to decide on what type of tires to throw on there. It's got the OEM Pirelli's right now and they're completely toast.

From riding my old 625 w/ contiforce SM tires I'm well aware a more road oriented tread is still capable offroad but I'm looking for something that's a little more capable on gravel and dirt. What are people running for 80/20 road/dirt tires?

I'll throw down my always recommendation of Pirelli Supercorsa takeoffs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

Glad to hear it, the one I tried 4 years ago wore out in less than half the miles of the Distanzia which replaced it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Alternative PRX/Distanzia front/rear all-weather "British Summer" recommendation.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

You talking contiforce or the new contiattacks?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Distanzias are high on my list... never tried a set. I've heard the true SM version of them aren't very long lasting but offer a great compromise between all out road grip and a tread pattern that works pretty drat well offroad.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I ran race tires at my last track day and there is no going back. Dunlop GP-As are a level above the street sport stuff (Q2s).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

I ran race tires at my last track day and there is no going back. Dunlop GP-As are a level above the street sport stuff (Q2s).

Truly a good 80/20 dirt tire.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
As good as any other slick. Also you're in the dirt 20 %?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

As good as any other slick. Also you're in the dirt 20 %?

Everyone was replying to the guy looking for a good 80/20 tire

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Opinions: 2004 KTM 640, as a daily rider. Bad idea, good idea? Compared to everyone's favourite DRZ400SM?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
That seems expensive for a high enough mileage bike that's very likely to have been thrashed regularly but looking at other ads on that site it looks like bikes are just pretty expensive in australia.
As long as all the work he had done was done properly it'll probably be fine though, the Keihin carb and spare tyres are a bonus too.
It'll be a far better bike than a drz especially as its been resprung, more powerful, better brakes, better everything. downside is a more expensive maintenance schedule and more expensive spare parts.

I want to put a low mudgaurd like that on my drz, the spray in the rain is ridiculous.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the maintenance schedule on those engines like?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looks pretty ratty. Thats also probably pretty high mileage for that motor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems expensive. The early LC4 will last if it doesn't happen to be one of the one that randomly explodes, so they're sort of a mixed bag as a result. Needknees loved his before he eventually darksided to the 690.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I might continue the search then.

Tang_
May 8, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I might continue the search then.

You'll find that most of these bikes have had their ads up fro ages. My mate had an 03 640SM for sale, asking $5k, eventually dropped it to $4k and still couldnt sell it. It had 35k kms and had been rebuilt, a few mods and goes almost as well as my 690.

If you're keen, make a few lowball offers, you never know what my come up.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, I pulled the trigger on my first SM. Black '06 DRZ with 3x3 airbox mod, JD jet kit (155 I think), modded stock exhaust (I am thinking of replacing with a full Yoshimura system), Edge LED tail light with the 12 O'clock Labs board, Pro Taper handlebars etc etc. It needs a good cleaning and a new rear tire this spring but otherwise it's great; I'm thinking of going with the Avon Distanzia since I do go into the dirt on occasion. Gotta wait for the title to come back to the guy from the bank where it's being held hostage due to his divorce. I haven't been this excited about a bike since I got my first Buell like 7 years ago. Any advice for a new DRZ owner?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 21, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, I pulled the trigger on my first SM. Black '06 DRZ with 3x3 airbox mod, JD jet kit (155 I think), modded stock exhaust (I am thinking of replacing with a full Yoshimura system), Edge LED tail light with the 12 O'clock Labs board, Pro Taper handlebars etc etc. It needs a good cleaning and a new rear tire this spring but otherwise it's great; I'm thinking of going with the Avon Distanzia since I do go into the dirt on occasion. Gotta wait for the title to come back to the guy from the bank where it's being held hostage due to his divorce. I haven't been this excited about a bike since I got my first Buell like 7 years ago. Any advice for a new DRZ owner?

Try out a set of pilot powers or some other set of sportbike tires and be prepared to poo poo your pants at how fun a sumo is in the twisties.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah definitely do the OG Pilot Powers, they're cheap as hell now and they have waaaaaayyyyyy more grip than a DRZ needs, which means you can chuck it around everywhere and stick to the road like glue.

My only real advice is keep your head on a swivel, the most fun part of owning any supermoto is spotting a little alleyway, parking lot, trail, gravel pit or literally any number of things you would be scared to take any other bike in, and having a blast in them. The first time you jump it off something that would wreck a normal bike, you'll get it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The first time you jump it off something that would wreck a normal bike, you'll get it.

What's your take on stairs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuun, but get a good look at them first. The first set I went down with my then one week old DRZ, I got about half way down the first step, and my brain went "YOU IDIOT THESE ARE WAY TOO TALL" and the bottom of the frame scraped all the way down. To be fair to my brain, they were really tall and steep steps.

Thankfully, its a supermoto, so scraping the frame is par for the course. I painted over the fresh scrapes with some metal paint to keep rust at bay and went on with my life. Really should invest in a good frame guard some day.

Stairs that you wont scrape on are very fun, once you get into the ba-dum-ba-dum-ba-dum-ba-dum rhythm of your tires going down the stairs you can fly down them no sweat.

E: to reinstate my original point, my first "holy poo poo supermoto" moment was with my original DRZ back in 06. I had sold my GSXR600 to get it, and I was out riding with a buddy who also had a DRZ. We were in an industrial park and he jumped his off a loading dock. I immediately was like "no way am I doing that", then I watched him do it a few more times, got the balls up to do it, successfully landed a jump off the loading dock, and thought "Holy poo poo that would have totaled any other bike I've ever owned". Then I realized we were having that kind of fun in an industrial park. I was sold forever at that point.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 21, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The Yoshi exhaust is ridiculously loud even with the baffle in, FWIW. Might not be an issue for you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wallaka posted:

The Yoshi exhaust is ridiculously loud even with the baffle in, FWIW. Might not be an issue for you, though.

Well, I drive a GT500 with no mufflers, and my last bike was a Buell with a Jardine, so noise isn't an issue...So you guys recommend the Pilot Powers over the Distanzia even though I will maybe go on some dirt roads? Also, which Pilot Power?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 22, 2013

• Locked thread