Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

az jan jananam posted:

I have Dropsync set to upload new pictures when my phone is plugged in and on wifi. Seems like one of the more robust options to me.

Just to point out, the official Dropbox client has this built in (including the "only upload when on wifi" part) and rewards you with free space every so often for using it. I've been given about 2.5GB purely from that, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Just to point out, the official Dropbox client has this built in (including the "only upload when on wifi" part) and rewards you with free space every so often for using it. I've been given about 2.5GB purely from that, I think.
Record a huge file (max settings for about thirty minutes) and you can get the maximum for uploads which is like 4GB (2GB for enabling it, and .5GB for every .5GB uploaded up to 2GB). Then delete the file and if you want disable the uploads, the space is yours regardless.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I need a "To-Do" list app that has a big, simple widget with tickboxes. Bonus points if it integrates with Google. Any suggestions?

edit: I just read the OP, I'll give Out Of Milk a try, but if anyone else has suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use Tasks. It syncs with Google Tasks and let's you display a list of tasks on a rezisable widget. There is no check box right on the widget but if you tap any task it pops up as a model dialog with the full note text and a button that says Mark As Complete. So if you can deal with two taps instead of one (better, in my opinion, since it stops accidentally toggling one without realising) then it sounds perfect for you. It also has a nice Holo UI. Oh and there's a free version which works for 10-days before it starts showing adverts (which I feel is a super-nice way to do a free app and I instantly bought the paid version upon seeing that it did exactly what I was looking for).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That looks pretty spot-on, thank you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I could have sworn I saw a post related to this question only some ten pages back, but I can't, for the life of me, find it. Ever since I started paying to expand my family's internet plan so I could get a smartphone, my mom has been wreaking absolute havoc with her data usage. It never seemed to be a problem when she was using her own 2GB, she never used so much as one. Now at the end of every billing cycle she's been using 2.5-3GB without even knowing, which puts a hamper on the other three people who would kinda' like to use data, as well, and I prefer having a buffer in a pinch.

She uses a Samsung Stratosphere, which (I think) runs Gingerbread. It seems to automatically fall back on the 4G, and you have to connect to wi-fi manually. What programs can you recommend to help her keep her phone on wi-fi when possible (at home, work, etc.), make sure she doesn't have an excess of background data going on, and to alert/cap her if her usage goes crazy? She isn't the most computer savvy and won't willingly check and search to make sure of these things so the more simple and forthright, the better. Think like a homescreen widget that states it plainly.

Gingerbread should automatically connect to wifi networks that it's previously used. You might want to find out of the wifi at your mom's work requires some kind of authentication. She probably has no clue how to log into that poo poo, but once you've put the credentials in once it should reconnect automatically from then on.

Basically, you need to follow her around for a day and connect her manually to all the hotspots she's normally around, and then she will be good from there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On my OG Evo 4G, I'd have to go into wifi settings and manually connect to a network, and then put in my credential storage password everytime I rebooted the phone. Once I put the password in it would connect just fine, but after every reboot it wouldn't connect to wpa networks without me manually unlocking it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there an easy/cheap way to have an app remotely control Pandora playing on my PC?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Gingerbread should automatically connect to wifi networks that it's previously used. You might want to find out of the wifi at your mom's work requires some kind of authentication. She probably has no clue how to log into that poo poo, but once you've put the credentials in once it should reconnect automatically from then on.

Basically, you need to follow her around for a day and connect her manually to all the hotspots she's normally around, and then she will be good from there.

Her WiFi sleep policy could be set to something other than "never", which would make it fall-back to LTE every time she turns off the screen, essentially.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Maybe he should figure out what's using all that goddamn data in the first place. If she's using 3GB of data and not knowing it, then there's probably something stupid installed that's burning it up. Too bad it's not a 4.x phone, that would make it easy to see where it's all going.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble changing album art in the Play Music web client - it's not uploading new coverart, or removing incorrect art. Anyone else getting this?

I've tried logging out and back in, but getting the same result - not sure is this is server-side or something.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mierdaan posted:

Is there an IRC that doesn't completely suck? I've tried

AndIRC: history scrollbar in a channel resets to the top every time I switch back to it from another app.

AndroIRC: slow, and seems to have problems reconnecting when I switch WiFi networks, requiring manual intervention.

SimpleIRC: can't see a channel and that channel's user list at the same time.
I use quasseldroid, but that requires you to have a computer running the core component. You then just connect the client to the core and you're done.

I also sometimes use yaaic, which I think is decent.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I just put talkatone on my kids ipod touches and they're doing google voice voip calls with this one app.

I haven't tried the android ver but it looks much the same. Is this something new? last I heard you had to use like 3 apps together to do gvoice true voip no-carrier-voice-service-needed calls?

Why is google putting a 3rd party way to do this on the play store when they don't have their own way? Will they ever say no to talkatone clients?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talkatone.android&hl=en

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 18, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Free Offline Navigation apps?

Anything good anymore? I could just tether my phone to the tablet, But I was more thinking I'd like to not rely on a data connection for an upcoming trip. I grabbed a trial of Sygic, Which will last through the trip. But a more permanent solution would be awesome.

Dug a bit through the thread, But jesus its nearing 300 pages. I realize I can use google maps, but when driving across the country downloading section by section will take all loving day unless theres something I'm missing to just download the country in total.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Is there an easy/cheap way to have an app remotely control Pandora playing on my PC?

I use Unified Remote, its pretty awesome, it controls a ton of stuff from my phone to my pc.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Flaggy posted:

I use Unified Remote, its pretty awesome, it controls a ton of stuff from my phone to my pc.

I did not know about this app, I've been playing with and it's amazing. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm interested in using my Nexus 7 as a secondary USB monitor for my work laptop; what are my options for that? Preferably something that doesn't require me installing something on the laptop because I don't have admin rights. I could get something installed for me but it'd be a pain.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

EbolaIvory posted:

Waze is my go-to navigation app, and the latest version says that you can preload routes on wi-fi. Unfortunately I can't vouch for that feature, but I wish it had been there when I drove up to Canada and the guidance crapped out the second I crossed the border.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone looking for a good newsreader needs to get Press. It's pretty and... shows you news.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm interested in using my Nexus 7 as a secondary USB monitor for my work laptop; what are my options for that? Preferably something that doesn't require me installing something on the laptop because I don't have admin rights. I could get something installed for me but it'd be a pain.

I explored this last week and tried out one called idisplay. The thing that drew me to it was that I could run it over USB instead of wireless. It wasn't incredibly bad, but it made my Windows behave oddly with displays and anything that was on the tablet was horribly laggy. I'm not sure there is anything out there that will allow you to use it as just a usb monitor which does not require any desktop installed software.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've stuck with stock on my Nexus 4 so far, so I'm using SMS Popup. I have the option checked to mark read when I tap close, but is there a way to mark a message as read if I respond via the popup? Failing this, is there another way to get text popups?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Handcent does pop-ups on text.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
True, but I don't feel like going through the bother of setting up a new sms app unless I have to. Nowadays, can I configure handcent to only do popups, and use messaging for everything else?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is there an app I can use with the standard mail app that uses imap's idle to tell me there are new emails? Why the mail app still can't do idle is a mystery to me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Regarding Llama, what's the point of events having start and end times if it doesn't change your profile back to where it was before the event triggered? Do I really have to set a second event to change my sound profile back?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

EbolaIvory posted:

Anything good anymore? I could just tether my phone to the tablet, But I was more thinking I'd like to not rely on a data connection for an upcoming trip. I grabbed a trial of Sygic, Which will last through the trip. But a more permanent solution would be awesome.

Dug a bit through the thread, But jesus its nearing 300 pages. I realize I can use google maps, but when driving across the country downloading section by section will take all loving day unless theres something I'm missing to just download the country in total.

You could have a play with the android version of GPSMid.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

EbolaIvory posted:

NavFree is the only one that comes to mind
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone here use the NHL Gamecenter app on an SGS3? If I open the app after it's been cached out of memory it completely locks up the phone, I have to hold down power to shut it off and reboot. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

hooah posted:

True, but I don't feel like going through the bother of setting up a new sms app unless I have to. Nowadays, can I configure handcent to only do popups, and use messaging for everything else?

Sounds like you want SMS Popup

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

Sounds like you want SMS Popup
That is the app he has the problem with in the first place!

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Im looking for a way to load my movies folder thats hosted on my main pc without having to go through about 8 menus to get to it

Im currently using es file explorer but that takes me pressing: Lan -> Server -> new -> Click pc -> users -> skam -> videos -> click file

Im just using windows built in upnp stuff at the moment rather then a dedicated server, and i also often turn my laptop off which seems to sometimes reset all my sharing options

If there was a way to just make a shortcut straight to that folder in es file explorer it would be great

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skam posted:

Im looking for a way to load my movies folder thats hosted on my main pc without having to go through about 8 menus to get to it

Im currently using es file explorer but that takes me pressing: Lan -> Server -> new -> Click pc -> users -> skam -> videos -> click file

Im just using windows built in upnp stuff at the moment rather then a dedicated server, and i also often turn my laptop off which seems to sometimes reset all my sharing options

If there was a way to just make a shortcut straight to that folder in es file explorer it would be great
You can make shortcuts to any network folder. I have several.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Skam posted:

You could just use an app like Qloud or Plex to stream to your phone. You'd have to install the software on your laptop though.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You can make shortcuts to any network folder. I have several.

Just tried this and Thank you. I had no idea

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since I got my Nexus 4 and moved to T-Mobile, I've been using GrooVe IP to make calls. The problem is that even if I have a strong data connection (four bars with an H or good wifi at home), people still complain about me breaking up and being hard to hear. Is this inherent in all VoIP apps, or should I try another (any recommendations)?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Since I got my Nexus 4 and moved to T-Mobile, I've been using GrooVe IP to make calls. The problem is that even if I have a strong data connection (four bars with an H or good wifi at home), people still complain about me breaking up and being hard to hear. Is this inherent in all VoIP apps, or should I try another (any recommendations)?

GrooveIP has a shitload of settings to play around with in the options. I'd recommend futzing around in there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hooah posted:

people still complain about me breaking up and being hard to hear.
Does it happen in Google Talk and Hangouts? If so, it's probably related to the VoIP profile used by the device.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I know the Facebook app is kinda lovely, but has anyone else had it hard-lock their device? My Nexus 7 has hard-locked two or three times after pulling up the app, and I have to hold down the power button to get the tablet to restart itself. What's weird is that there's never a pattern to it - more often than not I can start up and use the app just fine.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Karthe posted:

I know the Facebook app is kinda lovely, but has anyone else had it hard-lock their device? My Nexus 7 has hard-locked two or three times after pulling up the app, and I have to hold down the power button to get the tablet to restart itself. What's weird is that there's never a pattern to it - more often than not I can start up and use the app just fine.

Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling, or going into the app settings and clearing the data?

I've had funky things before like Facebook reporting I have no network connection that required me to reboot and fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Karthe posted:

Haven't had any hardlocks but on my Nexus 4 if you expand someone's posted picture it disables the back button so you literally can't get back to the Timeline. I have to hit Home, Recent, swipe it away then relaunch it.

• Locked thread